Maternal Instinct (320)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, so much to love about this episode.

First of all, it's where Daniel gets the idea about ascending to another plane of existence, the principle which later allows Michael Shanks to abandon those silly notions of leaving stargate.
    2) We meet Oma (very important later).
    3) We see Bra'tac again and that always makes Teal'c happy 'cause they get to be all jaffa-like together.
    4) Sam gets to play with claymores and that sounds fun.

But seriously, it's the wit that wins me on this one. It just makes me laugh.

Monk: Because it is so clear, it takes a longer time to realise it, if you immediately know the candlelight is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago.
    Daniel: Right. I, um, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Jack: Daniel?
    Daniel: Yea?
    Jack: Shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Pic View Post
      4) Sam gets to play with claymores and that sounds fun.
      Only if you don't enjoy having fingers!

But seriously the just leave the claymores in the garden at the end of the ep. Whats with that?
      sigpic
      In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
      "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Regarding Oma's departure, maybe the deal is that Oma had to flee the "scene of the crime" i.e. interfering by killing Apophis' Jaffa. Don't know how that would matter in the cosmic Ancient scheme of things but it's a possibility.
        sigpic
        Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

One of the things I liked most about this episode, is that it shows multiple aspects of Daniel's character--the spiritual, protective side (in his interactions with the monk/Oma/the child), and his more ruthless side (lifting his hand and sayin 'bye' with no regret before Oma obliterates a thousand some odd Jaffa). Both are Daniel, but you rarely see these aspects of his character showcased in the same episode.

Comment

I thought this was a neat episode, but I don't understand Daniel's reasoning about the connection between Oma's teachings and those of Siddhartha Gautama (aka the Buddha). Buddha's thing was to follow the eight-fold path not to a higher plane of existence but to non-existence (nirvana). So, what exactly is the connection, other than the no-depth Hollywood style Zen Buddhist sayings. That said, it could be a cool book Zen and the Art of Ascension.

Comment

Very Nice and Important Episode to the overall storyarc of SG1. Nice how they introduced the process of enlightment and to pass on to the next existence. kinda funny they did not know that most of the higher beings were ancients who created the stargate. Oma Desala were an ancient right?! imo great episode.
              sigpic

Comment

yay! ancients!
                its funny how in later years they kinda forget about the whole glowy thing!
                i found it funny how dramatic daniel was getting with his new "powers" only to realise that he didnt do any of it (i can imagine Jack wont let him forget that! ). and i love the budda guy! jack's reations to all his sayings was so funny! i cant remember how the bull one goes but it cracks me up everytime!

Daniel. Jack? Shoes. oh...

-Kat

Stargate SG-1

The best thing to ever happen to TV...and LIFE!

Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

This was interesting but it hurt my brain.....the meal was cooked a long time ago????
                  sigpic

Comment

Great Daniel ep. *sigh* I love both his protective and his ruthless side, wonderful character. And Oma was cool, can't wait for more Ancients.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                      One of the things I liked most about this episode, is that it shows multiple aspects of Daniel's character--the spiritual, protective side (in his interactions with the monk/Oma/the child), and his more ruthless side (lifting his hand and sayin 'bye' with no regret before Oma obliterates a thousand some odd Jaffa). Both are Daniel, but you rarely see these aspects of his character showcased in the same episode.
                      I have to say without a doubt you told the words right out of my mouth. You get alot of with Daniel in this episode, and it was great to see it too. The ability to have all three different sides to him in one episode (that I have seen) was jus amazing. I really liked how you could see though he struggled to let go of the boy to Oma. He wanted to keep his promise to Sha'ree but in the end he realized he would get a much better protection from Oma.

That spiritual stuff got me all confused ... but then I will watch this episode again as the spiritual stuff I usually tend to try and pick up the second time around.
                      sigpic

Comment

7/10

The mystic portions of the episode were a snooze fest and painful to watch. It introduces important elements but in a way that I probably won't ever want to rewatch.
                        Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Just rewatched this yesterday.
                          OK, I was wondering who the other ascended was. On was OMa, but there was another one that came out of the cryptic guy (sorry can't think of another description).
                          I thought Oma acted alone when she interfered?
                          Could it have been the grown Harseesis? Time traveling back?
                          no means no, and so does pepper spray
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

I like this episode. But I had a huge problem with Daniel assuming he could light a candle with his mind with just a few minutes meditation. There's no way he could possibly do that in such a short time. He was incredibly naive to think that he was that mentally strong to be able to do that. And also a tad arrogant in thinking he was capable of protecting that baby from all evildoers. Of course, he realized finally that he couldn't do either, but for him to think for even a moment that he could was unrealistic (IMO).

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              I like this episode. But I had a huge problem with Daniel assuming he could light a candle with his mind with just a few minutes meditation.
                              That's what happens when you have to cram everything into 42 minutes.

I liked this better the second time than I remembered liking it the first. Favorite line, actually, is the last one: "Daniel. Shoes."

Different actress playing Oma Desala. And this Oma couldn't speak.

First use of "If you immediately know the candle light is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago."

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I enjoyed this more with this rewatch. I guess it was because it was here we meet the enigmatic beings we come to know as the Ancients later on.

I liked their introduction as this mysterious all powerful force that could be both benevolent and then totally destructive....... burnt, crispy toasted Jaffa anyone?!!!! This was an interesting contradiction, and a complete contrast to the Nox with their first introduction. It makes me wonder how the Nox got on with the Ancients in their 'Alliance of Four Races'!!!

It is here that Daniel shines as the one who 'believes', and the moment I'm guessing he endeared himself to Oma Desala.

I found the monk's comment to Jack when he dismissed the idea of moving things with his mind as impossible interesting, in that he said straight out, without any cryptic wording; "...you already know how to do it."

Comment

Working...
                                X