No announcement yet.

New Ground (319)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately, this was an episode that went absolutely nowhere. I like it and all, but I won't be heartbroken if I miss it.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
      Ultimately, this was an episode that went absolutely nowhere. I like it and all, but I won't be heartbroken if I miss it.
      This is one that I re-watch quite often. I'm not real sure why; there's the shallow part of me that likes it because Daniel looks so good in it, and I like the cages

Mainly though, I like the story and what it says about people and what they believe in. The "bad guys" whose country escapes me right now, weren't going to believe they were wrong even with the gate staring them in the face. It's faith taken to the nth degree.

It made me think, though, what would people of any one faith do right now if someone popped up and was able to PROVE that whomever they worship never existed? Would we put them in "cages" the way the bad guys did SG-1?

Nyan was very open-minded and accepted that his people were wrong about where they'd come from; he seemed to take it quite well, while the others didn't. Was it because his faith wasn't as strong as the others, or simply, that as a scientist he would be more open to things?

Or am simply reading too much into a simple TV episode?

Dana Jeanne
      Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

you can never read too much into an episode of Stargate!

I find this episode hard to watch though, because of the incredibly pained expression on Daniel's face when he's in that cage.

I don't think that you could change anyone's mind if they believed in a religion. They would simply adapt, or read what they wanted into the situation. For example, many people thought that Darwin's ideas would be the end of christianity, after all it showed that we weren't uniquely created by god. However, many quite religious people enthusiastically took up Darwin's ideas because for them it proved that there was a god - that there must have been a creator behind it all to come up with something as complex as life. And in the bible, that we're created in God's image doesn't mean that there can be no other sentient life forms in the universe. Just that we alone have that special relationship with God. Not that this is what I think, just repeating what I've read.
        sigpic

Comment

You're right. There are a lot of Christians out there who believe that God used evolution as his "laboratory" and threw everything together. But then they forget to take into consideration that everything written in the Bible is the true word of God, and what the Bible says is that the Earth was created in six days and on the seventh day he rested. And whatsmore, we keep on finding evidence that evolution couldn't have worked from the first cell of life before it died.

But we're not here for a theological dispute, otherwise a lot of people will wind up being offended and some people might get into trouble. I'm going to reaspond to what DJ asked two posts ago. Yeah, I think Nyan was just more open-minded and not afraid to admit that he was wrong. He described finding out that he was wrong as "Just as exciting as if I was right" because he was a scientist. He's one of the reasons why I still like it.
          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
            you can never read too much into an episode of Stargate!
            I find this episode hard to watch though, because of the incredibly pained expression on Daniel's face when he's in that cage. .
            Well, you have to keep in mind that I'm simply a big old hurt/comfort slut and therefor I like the pained expression...

I *think* this episode was the first one where we actually saw Daniel tortured for information wasn't it? It must have been difficult for him, with all his enthusiasm for meeting new cultures, to have this one refuse to listen to them or believe them, and then to start torturing them on top of it all.

And hard for Jack, too, to watch his team mates go through it, knowing he can't do anything to stop it. Especially since he's the one who's supposed to keep them safe.

Yes, I know these aren't real people

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
              Yeah, I think Nyan was just more open-minded and not afraid to admit that he was wrong. He described finding out that he was wrong as "Just as exciting as if I was right" because he was a scientist. He's one of the reasons why I still like it.
              I liked Nyan. I wish he'd shown up periodically over the years, you know, the way Major Davis does. He was so open to new things; he reminds me of Daniel in the very beginning of the series.

DJ

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

not real people? Sorry don't understand...

I definitely have to watch that one again. There is some great interaction with the three of them when they're in the cages. And when that guy drags Daniel outside to explain the DHD to him, poor Daniel really does look like he thinks this is it.

They all suffer don't they! Tealc, being robbed of his eyesight, dependant on someone else knowing that his friends need him. That gets me every time too.
                sigpic

Comment

I definitely have to watch that one again. There is some great interaction with the three of them when they're in the cages. And when that guy drags Daniel outside to explain the DHD to him, poor Daniel really does look like he thinks this is it. .
                  I wonder how much time they have to spend talking with the resident shrink? I mean, they must have all sorts of nightmares and issues and things due to what they go through!

They all suffer don't they! Tealc, being robbed of his eyesight, dependant on someone else knowing that his friends need him. That gets me every time too.
                  It was difficult watching Teal'c so helpless. That bothered me more than the other three in the cages for some reason. Maybe because he's always seemed so indestructable.

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

that's it exactly. It was that Tealc was so helpless, and I think that's one of the few times we've ever seen him like that. I wonder how hard that would be, as he is someone who's used to being the strong one, the protector. Then suddenly he is the dependant one, reliant on Nyan, who essentially is a Daniel type of character. While Teacl would have the greatest admiration for his wisdom and knowledge, Nyan is someone who Tealc is more used to looking after, than being looked after by. If that makes sense!
                    sigpic

Comment

Makes sense to me.

Comment

Nyan is someone who Tealc is more used to looking after, than being looked after by. If that makes sense!
                        Plus, Teal'c really had no idea if he could even trust Nyan. I imagine it took a lot for Teal'c to trust him and allow him to help.
                        DJ

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

The ep overall was cool, I guess, but the more and more I watch SG-1, the more I see some common threads going that really push my buttons.

They go to this planet where a big science vs. religion debate is taking place, and instead of delving into that debate and stimulating the audiance (iow, me) with a relateable discussion, they spend half the episode in cages, and the rest trying to escape, and then that's it.

I mean, the way things went down, I don't even think that this event will change anything between the people left behind. It was just a "catch and release" story.

I'm fine with fun action/adventure episodes. The one with those aliens that disguised themselves as humans was great. This one felt like there was so much more potential there, but they just wasted it in favor of showing SG-1 get hit with various beams of light.

Comment

Well, yeah, I kind of agree with you, Vapor. I like episodes that make me think (and make the characters think), but unfortunately "Hollywood" seems to think everyone wants explosions and all that.

The first time I saw this I didn't like it. Then I watched it again and tried to imagine what the characters (especially Daniel, Jack and Sam) were thinking as they watched each other get zatted. How difficult it must have been for Jack and Sam to watch Daniel dragged from his cage; did they wonder if he would be killed?

Too often--especially in the last few years--Stargate doesn't give me the emotions, or the character development that I want to see and I sort of have to imagine it there.

Yeah, well....

Dana Jeanne

Michael Shanks Online

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                              For some reason the word "Optrican" makes me think of the Transformers.
                              Yeah me too. A friend and I were talking about this episode the other day at work for some reason and I kept calling them decepticons

Comment

This is episode was good. Nothing spectacular about it but at least to me its classic Stargate.

Comment

Working...
                                X