No announcement yet.

Shades of Grey (318)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is, if not the last, very near the bottom of my list of Stargate episodes (top being favorite, bottom being the opposite). Watching the parts of it I could stand to watch, it occurred to me that part of what I don't like is how fast everything wrapped up. Jack's first mission on his new command and he IDs the traitor.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

"Shut up Daniel!"

Wonder how many times Jack wanted to say that to Daniel, but didn't because he knew Daniel was invariably, irritatingly right! It was still said with some feeling despite it not being his true intention! LOL!

With this one I can put aside all the convenience of finding the mole in the SGC so quickly, and not one of SG-1 questioning what was going on, for the sheer fun of watching Jack play against all he believed in. His cheeky irreverence for things at times came into play wonderfully here.

Loved how he just hit Newman in the jaw, probably to make him feel better for trying to shoot him in 'Touchstone' !!!

I'm thinking the question of Jack keeping his arm in the event horizon was that the gate wouldn't shut down as a failsafe before the entire of whatever it is goes though the event horizon. The MALP fell back completely into the event horizon so that is why it was destroyed. This does however beg the question of whether it would still close down after 38 minutes and take Jack's arm off!

So in 'A Hundred Days' Teal'c only had to leave the rope dangling in the event horizon to keep it open, or does it only apply to living matter? OK that's too much thinking for my brain cell?!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
        So in 'A Hundred Days' Teal'c only had to leave the rope dangling in the event horizon to keep it open, or does it only apply to living matter? OK that's too much thinking for my brain cell?!!!
        The wormhole shut down after 38 minutes in 'A Hundred Days'.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I guess my take is that the rest of the team is too stunned to believe it (or not).

And maybe someone's already pointed this out, but when Jack's out on the deck listening to opera music, he's also reading Mad magazine (how Jack!)

Comment

I do think Mayborne trusted O'Neill way to quickly, maybe a two parter would have spaced it out better. And I kinda liked Colonel Makepeace (he had a cool name!) so I didn't like how he was the mole.

Comment

Originally posted by SG3Marine View Post
              I do think Mayborne trusted O'Neill way to quickly, maybe a two parter would have spaced it out better. And I kinda liked Colonel Makepeace (he had a cool name!) so I didn't like how he was the mole.
              Agreed. I liked Makepeace too; but, then, it's usually the likeable ones that turn out to be the mole or bad guy or whatever. Even the actor who played Makepeace was annoyed that his character was the mole.

Comment

If makepeace was NOT the mole, who would you rather it have been?

Comment

Can't believe I fell for it the first time I watched this ep. Didn't fall for it this time though

Overall an entertaining ep. Always great to see the Asgard, no matter how briefly.
                  sigpic

Comment

Did absolutely nobody catch the "Hello...Newman" Seinfeld spoof in this episode? Classic!

Comment

Yes, I caught it liminoid.

I guess I'm in the minority but it did seem plausible that Jack would retire. After all he was retired at the beginning of season 1. After his experiences in the previous episode, I thought he might have changed enough to want to go back there, or at least have a life somewhat like that. He may have felt completely worn out.

I think Sam and Daniel would fall for it in that situation.
                      Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                        Can't believe I fell for it the first time I watched this ep.
                        I fell for it too. I though it was very convincing. Awesome ep!

My LiveJournal post
                        "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                        "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

5pm and another ep of SG1..

1. Jack nicks a device from the Tollan! *raises eyebrows* Jack rants at Hammond like that!

2. Rewatching the ep - Jack's behaviour seems really fake but first time around, I'd assumed he'd been brainwashed or something. I mean, the Goa'uld could have scrambled his neurons to incapacitate him and knock the SGC out of whack!

3. I also assumed that this was an arc that would play out for a few eps untill the SGC discovered what was wrong with him.

4. As it was, having Makepeace regular ally of SG1 and leader of the SG-Rescue squad turn out to be dodgy...

5. Having said that, one I worked out what Jack was up to, well having him wrap everything up that quick wasn't such a big deal, I mean the sooner this stuff was dealt with the better right?
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Awesome episode, another top 5 episode of Season 3.

So the Tollan won't return until halfway through Season 5 (I think).

Notes:
                            • Jack and Hammond really sold the whole stole technology from the Tollan (would've had me convinced)
                            • Love the Effect of the Gate, when Jack steps through and immediately enters on the other side
                            • That BGM during the "Asgard are attacking and taking their stuff" was very generic. I think this might be the final episode that music for an episode was not composed by our friend Joel Goldsmith.

Tomorrow, SG-1 pisses (can I even say that word) someone off, and because if it they get held captive.
                            sigpic

Comment

Some thoughts:
                              • The first time I watched this episode, I too thought Jack was brainwashed or suffering a mental breakdown. At first. Later, of course, the game is fairly obvious.
                              • This is an episode in which the things we know of the real world robs the story of some of its power. We know Jack can't leave SG-1 for long, because we know it's a T.V. series that still has RDA on contract. So, instead of being shocked by Jack's retirement, we search for the game that is afoot.
                              Last edited by Brother Freyr; 26 October 2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

If the story had played out over a few eps we would have still seen Jack for a scene or two probably hence he'd be earning his contract.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X