No announcement yet.

Foothold (314)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When viewed in hindsight, Maybourne is a nicer person than he appears early on. I can't think of a single instance where he retaliates for things people say to him.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      When viewed in hindsight, Maybourne is a nicer person than he appears early on. I can't think of a single instance where he retaliates for things people say to him.

Seaboe
      He's one of my favourite grey area bad guys on the show. When him and Jack are in the same scene I know it's going to be good.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
      "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
      a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

not a bad ep this one. It also has the benefit of not only Maybourne but possibly the best line in the whole of the SG-1 canon.

I refer, of course, to "you're an idiot every day of the week" speech from Sam.

A few niggles: why would "Daniel" return via the hatch, alone without Sam and Maybourne when they are expected to arrive by plane. And why the heck do they persist in using those pistols instead of Zats, which have much better range and spread.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Cool aliens -- and now we also know what an angry mosquito sounds like.... ...right before you slap it senseless for biting you.

First you want to slap Maybourne like that mosquito, but in the end you just wanna pat him on the back for a job well done. He came through in the end, and he credits Carter for the nice save.

Alien!Fraiser was creepy.

And I love the look Jack gave that nurse right before she jabbed him the butt with that needle. Priceless.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I wouldn't give Maybourne a pass for being a nice guy at the end. He didn't follow foothold procedure which could have ended the situation sooner. He basically put the world at risk because of his ego.

Comment

I just re-watched this episode and a couple of things popped in my mind, sorry if they've been already mentioned.

first, when they rush to the control room after aliens have dialed out. Jack runs straight to a computer and starts working on something. What is he doing, he's not supposed to know anything about computers. I think that shows he actually does, just doesn't care, it's not HIS job. (I've always thought that Jack is way smarter than he lets people think.)

And the last scene where Mayborne comes to briefing room. I love that Jack smiles him, and thanks him. He may hate Maybornes guts but is big enough to give him credits when needed. And calls him Harry. I do not know about military protocol, but since they hold the same rank is it right that they can call each other by name instead of rank if they choose to?
              sigpic
              Thank you Britta for this lovely picture.

Comment

Yes, since they're the same rank they can call each other by first names. You'll see that again with other characters.

Jack's hidden intelligence is a plot point for the series.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Normally when on their own (not with junior troops around, i have known many who call someone of the same rank by their first name. It is frowned on though when in the presence of juniors.

Comment

Episode is great. If the aliens ever did reappear, honestly they would have to redesign the helmets and outfit. I always thought it was too cheesy looking.
                    Hi There!

Comment

Old skool aliens...
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Best episode thus far. The Maybourne/Peter Principle factor makes it even better.

I don't get though why Maybourne's incompetence is rewarded and he is seen off as a the guy who saved the day in the end.

This is the first time his incompetence puts the entire planet in harm's way. Is he the only failsafe in a Foothold situation? The one time he is actually called upon, he doesn't follow procedure and is about to deliver himself to the aliens in the SCG.

Presumably the only way he could get out of this unscathed in the aftermath is that Maybourne gets to write the report on the incident and edits out his screw ups. How did he get out of this without repercussions? He only starts to do the right thing when he sees the alien on the plane. And even after that he doesn't do anything exceptionally. He sends the troops in. So what? Anyone could and would have done that in his place.

If he was any good, he would have had a spy network on almost every planet by then and would provide the SCG with valuable intelligence. After all most planets are human colonies with people that look like you and me. What better way to infiltrate the System Lord's domains? Instead he seems to be toying with the gadgets the SG teams bring back, which are mothballed in Area 51.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikaMariia View Post
                          And the last scene where Mayborne comes to briefing room. I love that Jack smiles him, and thanks him. He may hate Maybornes guts but is big enough to give him credits when needed. And calls him Harry. I do not know about military protocol, but since they hold the same rank is it right that they can call each other by name instead of rank if they choose to?
                          I think it was in "Lost City" that Reynolds addressed Jack by his first name. I think he must have been promoted to Colonel not long before this, because prior to that he always referred to Jack as "sir" or "Colonel" rather than "Jack".

Comment

I just randomly watched this one. All I remembered was the part when they are all hanging up. I totally forgot about Sam's whole storyline. I love her line to Maybourne. Also Jack had a good line (well many) but the best was after the alarm went off "...maybe they didn't hear that".

Teal'c kicking ass was awesome. And as usual always great to see Maybourne.
                            sigpic

Comment

This just became one of my favorite episodes. The creepy factor was high from the beginning; a suspicious doctor with a gross-looking syringe? No, thanks. Evil twin Fraiser being punched in the face? It shouldn't have been funny, but...

Also, having Maybourne actually be helpful was a nice surprise.

What I really want to see, though, is what happened behind-the-scenes where everyone is hanging. How long did they have to stay up there? What do you even talk about between takes to pass the time? This girl would love to know.
                              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Nice ep, creepy aliens and a good O'Neill picking that device from the Alien-Janet!
                                Much action, could have been a two - parter.
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X