Past and Present (311)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blueiris
    Now I need to go back and watch for that pesticide reference.
    If there hadn't been any children for a long time, and everyone was "older," I would have thought they would have mentioned that the human race was becoming extinct on their planet. In the journals or notes or somewhere, it seems someone would have written this down. But I guess that's the only explanation. And the pictures of children would have all had to been from a much earlier time, and unless the culture had'nt changed much in the last 40 or 50 years, it seems they would notice all the childrens pictures were from an earlier time. Not a particularily bright people. Unless, of course I'm still missing something.
    For once I find myself defending the PTB for some stuff. So I think the trick with this ep is to ignore a lot of the twaddle and concentrate on the main event.

They did mention that they had been on the brink of a clataclysm (sp?) and that due to the pesticide no children had been born for at least 20 years (I'd go back and check but my tv is unaccountably occupied with football)

This was information that Kiera had gleaned from the library room and the notes of Dead-Dr-Whatshisface.

It does not, however, explain - as you mentioned - the total lack of photographs. So... try this (really, it works for me): they mentioned that they had photographs of the elders, but not the children. They also didn't mention photographs of younger adults, and absolutely not even a passing reference to any pictures of any children at all.

Bear with me.

My conclusion is that Photography only became widespread within the past 20 years - maybe even more recently. In that time no children had been born, so hence no baby photos.

This is why there are absolutely no photos apart from the elders.

If that makes any sense at all, I'll eat my h*t.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

You'd better have some hair-gel then.

Madeleine

Comment

MODS!
        I'm being stalked by a maniac with hair gel....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
          MODS!
          I'm being stalked by a maniac with hair gel....
          By a mod with hair gel. There's no escape.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

oh drat - I just remembered.

We are the mods...

sigpic

Comment

oh drat - I just remembered.

We are the mods...
              you have forgotten you are a mod???
              Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
                you have forgotten you are a mod???
                nah, not really. It would be difficult to forget our Mod SuperPowers. What with wearing the boots, the tights, the cloak and the mask each time we log on.

Speaking of mods, however, perhaps we should nudge this back on topic.

Kiera had a latent ability, inherited or residual from Linnea I presume, as a chemist/doctor/general purpose genius. I can't remember how long it was since the thingy (whatever they called it) which wiped all their memories, but in that short time, Kiera had remembered enough to start helping Sam and Janet make the cure for the amnesia.

So what's to guarantee that she won't recover her memory in a few weeks? Or will she constantly have to have her memories wiped?

sigpic

Comment

So what's to guarantee that she won't recover her memory in a few weeks? Or will she constantly have to have her memories wiped?
                  I think perhaps the people of the planet are going to keep a pretty close eye on her. I rather like the theory I've heard elsewhere on the board that she's either an Aschen, or related to an Aschen.

Comment

It was a special sort of memory loss that only blocks memories as is convenient to the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                      It was a special sort of memory loss that only blocks memories as is convenient to the plot.
                      You mean like the Plot Detector in the gate that shuts the wormhole off after the last person who has to step through has gone through?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        You mean like the Plot Detector in the gate that shuts the wormhole off after the last person who has to step through has gone through?
                        Or the genetic memory which allows Sam to remember exactly what she needs to in order to move the plot/romantic subplot with Martouf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          My my, we are at home to Mr. Cynical this evening!!

Actually I've remembered the thing that really annoyed me when I watched this ep.

The Stargate whooshes into life. SG-1 step through into a place that looks as though it hasn't been visited in yonks. Sam twitchs the cover off the DHD and says that it looks ok.

MEH!

Since when didn't they first send a MALP through to find the DHD?

Or is that all tied up into the Stargate Convenient Plot Point Detector?
                          Is cynicism contagious at all?

sigpic

Comment

The Plot Point Detector is the gizmo that prevents Enemy Jaffa and Supersoldiers from being able to hit a target unless the story needs one of the main characters needs to suffer a bit.

Madeleine

Comment

The Plot Point Detector sounds like a fab new thread to me...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                                The Plot Point Detector is the gizmo that prevents Enemy Jaffa and Supersoldiers from being able to hit a target unless the story needs one of the main characters needs to suffer a bit.
                                Is that also what keeps the supersoldiers from falling over when they need to do anything but walk in a straight line?

Comment

Working...
                                X