No announcement yet.

Learning Curve (305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting moral and ethical type episode but not one of my favourites.

I have to disagree with you captain jake I think it is completely within character for Jack. If it's one thing that really gets to him it's the mistreatment of children he obviously has the view that kids should just be allowed to be kids. He was just acting out on what he preaches.

Certainly does raise the question of SGC having a prime directive again.

Oooh yay they have a naquada generator prototype now that cools, I forgot what the original looked like rather then earth built ones.

Daniel was certainly in his element uncovering the history behind the people.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

The first not-so-great episode of season three. Still definetly good though.

Comment

There was at least good suspense in the beginning with regard to the "child prodigies". Not one of my favorites, but I did like the way we saw Jack's fatherly instincts step in.

Comment

YAY!. For Naqauda Generator Tech.!
          I agree with Mortonpixie I also liked how Jack's fatherly side kicked in

Comment

I'm rather disappointed that we don't encounter these people again. There was so much focus on Sam/Merrin (the girl) and Jack/Merrin interactions, but I think one of the best was Teal'c/Tomin ~ it reminded me that Teal'c is also a father. Besides, anytime Teal'c interacts with children is so heart-warming. Remember 'Bane'? The super-soaker water-gun fight with the girl was the highlight of an otherwise dismal episode.

Sam getting in trouble with Hammond for turning on the device without notifying anyone reminds me of a future episode where she tapes a note to the door of her lab. LOL! So brilliant, so focused, yet so reckless.

Comment

i like this episode the end was good
              sigpic

Comment

ahh the birth of the naquahda generators jack is amazing in this episode...then again he is amazing in all of the episodes ;D

Comment

I recently re-watched this episode for another thread and it reminded me of how much I loved it the first time around. One of my absolute favorites from the series, and one that really highlights, to me, how Stargate is unique from most other sci-fi shows.

Some thoughts, split up for each character for some clarity, hopefully:

Daniel - I loved the opening with Daniel in his element digging into the roots of a civilization, and his pure excitement at piecing together Orban's history. I also liked how Daniel tried to reason with Kalan about finding a way around the Averium, but was willing to listen to Kalan's point of view as well. He may have still disagreed with the Averium, but he took the time to understand the Orbanians motivations, and that speaks a lot to his character, IMO.

Sam - Like Daniel, I just adored seeing Sam's obvious excitement about the naquahdah generator, as well as her humility when she said she needed help to understand it. I loved seeing her both struggle and succeed in figuring out the generator, I always get a chuckle out of her yelling at it to work. And Sam being jealous of Merrin's not needing to sleep was just cute. And I love her message to Merrin about how figuring out something for yourself is more satisfying than being given the answer, which is something I wholeheartedly believe. I also loved her reaction to the drawing of her that Kalan made.

Teal'c - He didn't get quite as much to do as the other characters, but his relationship with Tomin more than makes up for that, since that's what first tips them off to the true nature of the Urrone. I loved all his interactions with Tomin, especially how attached he became to him, which was nicely shown with how disturbed he seemed when Tomin no longer recognized him. Just adored seeing this fatherly side to Teal'c.

Jack - In the opening scenes I enjoyed seeing the different characters' interpretations of fun. For Daniel and Sam it's their day jobs essentially, while for Jack is seems to be more what he gets to do outside of work. I didn't mind Jack's insubordination at taking Merrin to the school because his intentions were good and he did return her to the SGC. As much as he vehemently disagreed with the Orbanians, he didn't impose his beliefs on to them by keeping Merrin, however much he may have wanted to. And I just adored the closing scene with Jack drawing a purple dog for Merrin. Like with Teal'c, it was great to see this fatherly side to Jack.

What stands out the most for me in the episode was even though all of the characters disagreed with the Orbanians' practice of Averium, they did not impose their beliefs on them and demand that they change. They ultimately respected their differences but were able to make some subtle changes, like with the post-Averium children now being taught in the old-fashioned way and the obvious effect of Merrin's learning to draw.

This episode showed me that SG-1 could be heroes without firing a single shot or defeating an enemy, but by simply being true to themselves while also respecting others.

sigpic

Comment

This is an excellent look at this episode and absolutely agree with your analysis. I've always thought that it was a good thing Sam talked about the satisfaction of figuring something out on your own. That got passed to everyone in their culture, and is certain to have an effect on both how they school the children who have been through the Averium, and how the whole society views learning. I have a hope that eventually they will see this as a more positive learning model than the use of nanites.

It's interesting to see where Jack draws the line with insubordination. He's not going to disobey an order, but he'll bend it for all it's worth. Actually, I think there are very few things that Jack would push it this hard over. He does respect the Air Force and the chain of command. A child, his team, his ex-wife... That's probably about it. Well, the fate of the Earth/galaxy, of course!

It was great to see Daniel enjoying himself, doing something he loves. Sadly, whenever I see Daniel having a really good time, I just know something bad is about to happen.
                    Last edited by amconway; 02 March 2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                      This episode showed me that SG-1 could be heroes without firing a single shot or defeating an enemy, but by simply being true to themselves while also respecting others.
                      that is what i think makes sg-1 brilliant, there is always much more than meets the eye and you never know what's guna happen next.

Comment

Oh, something I can't believe I forgot from my post, the importance of the creation of the first naquahdah generator, arguably one of the most important pieces of technology ever developed by the SGC!

What I loved most about the generator was that it wasn't just given to the SGC to use with no-strings attached. Sam had to struggle to understand it and build one herself using Earth-based science and technology, and then continue to refine it over time.

That personal struggle to acquire the technology is what I loved most about the naquahdah generator, because it didn't come easy, Sam and the SGC had to earn the right to use it.
                        Last edited by EvenstarSRV; 03 March 2009, 02:47 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Jack gets a few episodes over the 8 years to show just how much he loves kids. It's heartbreaking to see that he's so good with them and to know that he's lost his.

I love that this episode showcased the two 'fathers' of the team and their protectiveness over the children.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

What I loved most about the generator was that it wasn't just given to the SGC to use with no-strings attached. Sam had to struggle to understand it and build one herself using Earth-based science and technology, and then continue to refine it over the time.
                            Good point! We didn't get to see that very often. Well, we knew Sam was doing something in that lad, but it was usually presented as a done deal, like the weapon based on the Telchak device.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                              Good point! We didn't get to see that very often. Well, we knew Sam was doing something in that lad, but it was usually presented as a done deal, like the weapon based on the Telchak device.
                              But that prototype weapon wasn't given ready to use to the SGC, they had to develop it from the Telchak device. Granted we didn't get to see a lot of the process unlike the generator in this episode, but it wasn't quite a done deal, IMO, they still had to adapt the technology themselves.

Technology closer to a done deal that the SGC has gotten would be more like the Ancient chair, or the Asgard weapons in Unending, IMO.

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm... Have you guys read the back posts in this thread? There sure are a lot of people that feel like they shouldn't have dared express disapproval of the condition the children were left in...

Comment

Working...
                                X