No announcement yet.

Learning Curve (305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, this one was a treat. Great chemistry between actors and great episode from that. Really enjoyed Jack's attachment to alien kid. beauty of TV episodes
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting, but boring episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        An outstanding episode........if all television was of this quality maybe our adults would be a tenth as intelligent as the children on Orban........But do the children on that planet have parents??
        I do notice that in a number of episodes SG1 only encounters a single alien in an environment where that alien is either alone or virtually alone, i.e. Maternal Instinct and Window of Opportunity. Is that simply because the story can be explained with its lesson in that way, or is a question of budgeting for actors?
        Money is always an issue.

Comment

It was an alright episode.
          Not bad, but not good either.

Comment

Another personal favorite! Lots of character development, especially for Jack. But to break things down...

-Jack definitely has a soft spot for kids. We've had the Stargate movie (his interactions with Skaara), 'Show and Tell', and now 'Learning Curve' to prove this to us. The situation stinks and it makes him angry knowing that he's not allowed to change anything...so he breaks the rules. It's amazing he got away from this without a court-martial...
            -Sam is having trouble understanding something technical for the first time in her life, and it's kind of amusing to see her slightly jealous of how quickly Merrin learns...and the fact that Merrin needs less sleep. Her interactions with the kid are neat to see in other ways, too, like explaining what drawing is.
            -Daniel and Jack are once again on opposite sides of the fence.Once again, Daniel tends to side with the natives and Jack goes with his gut.
            -Teal'c seems to have a great repore (sp?) with Tomin almost immediately, and, as others have pointed out, KNOWS something is wrong when Tomin is 'gone', and later doesn't recognize him. It's nice to see his rare, trademark smile in this episode.

It's initially kind of annoying to have children speaking like adults (again), but hey...what can you do?

The eventual payoff from Jack's disregard of the rules is bittersweet. While there is something of a revolutionary change in the way things are done on Orbaan (sp?), Merrin has reverted to the state of a toddler. The ending where Jack walks over and meets her all over again is enough to make an old softy like me misty-eyed.
            "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

Great episode character development wise, but plot wise they pretty much killed the entire Orlan civilization .. does anyone else find it to be the worse thing the SGC did during the entire SG1 series ?
              And what exactly was the reason the Goa'uld left Orlan ?
              Anyway i would rate it 8/10, solid episode for sure.
              Last edited by Zaany; 15 August 2012, 04:45 AM.
              RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

Originally posted by Zaany View Post
                Great episode character development wise, but plot wise they pretty much killed the entire Orlan civilization .. does anyone else find it to be the worse thing the SGC did during the entire SG1 series ?
                And what exactly was the reason the Goa'uld left Orlan ?
                Anyway i would rate it 8/10, solid episode for sure.
                It's been a while since I've last seen this episode, but didn't the Orban simply continue with their urrone? Then after the averium the children would be taught the normal way, due to Merrin's experience at the school.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

not a bad ep - what I really like about Stargate over a lot of other sci-fi shows is that they often confront situations that are not clear cut, there is no black and white there are only shades of grey*. What usually occurs in these eps (eg. S4 The Other Side & Scorched Earth in particular) Jack & Daniel see things from a different perspective. It leads to thoughtful television and means that Stargate isn't just run of the mill stuff.

so from that point of view - great ep.

*see what I did there?
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                    not a bad ep - what I really like about Stargate over a lot of other sci-fi shows is that they often confront situations that are not clear cut, there is no black and white there are only shades of grey*. What usually occurs in these eps (eg. S4 The Other Side & Scorched Earth in particular) Jack & Daniel see things from a different perspective. It leads to thoughtful television and means that Stargate isn't just run of the mill stuff.

so from that point of view - great ep.

*see what I did there?
                    I saw what you did there! You should have added an asterisk to point of view too
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

arghhh...
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Interesting to see a people, advanced enough and yet technologically dependent on their nanites to teach them what they know. It's easy to control too what the folks know or don't know about. With these nanites one could potentially control the flow of knowledge at will.

See, people are boring when they don't have even a little amount of fun in their life.

And whoever made those drawings of the reactor -- loved the detail. The painting was nice too (both stick figure and reactor).
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Just saw this one for the first time tonight. When it started I thought I saw another scifi aliens-age-backwards sort of thing coming on. I like that they didn't go there and did something a little different. I also liked that Merrin didn't change her mind in the end and went through with the procedure. Overall, I was not too impressed with the episode, but every season of every show has some lulls from the action and breaks from the story lines.

Maybe I'm just not into character development pieces unless they're heavily mixed with science fiction!

Comment

I feel the opposite - a great episode and probably my favourite so far.

Comment

One of the Nox once said: Your ways are not the only ways.

This ep doesn't support that idea. Don't get me wrong - I don't like children being used that way!!!
                              CARPE DIEM
                              ANJA

Comment

I always had a problem with this episode for that reason. I didn't like how ethnocentric Jack and Sam were
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X