Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tal'Mak_Josh
    What 'rank' in the Tok'ra was Selmak when he was in the other host
    I'm not sure, to be honest. There doesn't seem to be a specific 'rank' structure within the Tok'ra - at least not one that's immediately recognisable (I may be wrong - someone feel free to correct me if I am).

Certainly Selmak is one of the oldest, wisest and most esteemed of the Tok'ra (hence a place on the High Council), and I recall thinking at the time Selmak and Jacob met that it was a really neat coincidence that the Tok'ra needed a host for their most important symbiote at just the time Jacob needed a life-saving cure!

Despite being in a new host (and an ignorant Tauri one, at that) Selmak still clearly occupies a place of some importance with the Tok'ra. When he comes back for the Seth-hunt, it's clear he's aware of everything that's happening in Tok'ra-town. It's likely, given the nature of their lives, that Tok'ra operate entirely on a 'need to know' basis, so that in itself indicates that he's moving in pretty high circles.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tal'Mak_Josh
      What 'rank' in the Tok'ra was Selmak when he was in the other host
      It seemed to me the only rank that the Tok'ra has is the high council of the Tok'ra.

Comment

True. It's 'The High Council' and 'All the other Tok'ra'. Nothing in between.

Mind you, given how few of them there are (comparitively speaking), and how many of them are off-world at any one time, that's probably the best way they have for deciding on operations/policies/whatever. Then, you don't have to worry about what happens if the Councillor and his/her second in command get killed at the same time. Everyone's eligible to take their place, not just one. They lead a precarious existence so I guess they can't afford to get strung up with a heirarchy.
        sigpic

Comment

it always seems that Selmak knows what sam is feeling before jacob does. am i right.

Comment

Originally posted by RubyRed
            it always seems that Selmak knows what sam is feeling before jacob does. am i right.
            Well, Jacob's a gruff, smartass old military guy who's never been particularly close to either of his kids that we can see; he certainly hasn't been for the last few decades. So it isn't surprising that he's not always up on what Sam's thinking. Selmak, on the other hand, is a lot older, wiser, and less rigid.
            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
              Can anyone explain why Seth ring transporters in his compound? Did he keep lugging them around with him since Ancient Egypt? How did he power them? Where did he get all of those zats? I mean, i can see hiding out for centuries in your hidden sarcophagus (kinda like Lestat), and even taking a new host, but to take all that tech with you? How?

Any ideas?
              I agree. And it can't be like Mr. Prohpet said, "If you have a devoted enough cult you can transport pretty much anything anywhere, simply by main force." Because at least one time all his followers were dead and they didn't find his body. So how did he transport all his tech gear?

Comment

Perhaps he had his previous followers hide it all, and then came back for it later with new followers?

Given how suggestible they all become when they get infected with nish'ta, it's possible that even people in the earliest of times would be prepared to handle the most advanced (to them) technology around and not bat an eyelid.

It's also possible that, as Seth hasn't been prominent enough to be noticeable to the Net Historian community since the 1700s, he could well have been transferring operations to the New World for the rest of the 18th (and into the 19th) Centuries. We're talking about a time when customs laws were much weaker, and far harder to enforce, than they are today. If Seth was also exporting his technology in dribs and drabs, it would have been nearly impossible to intercept - and it's quite possible that a few backhanders could have temporarily blinded any nosy official (or two/three Zat blasts, of course).

After all, he's got all the time in the world - if his host is too weak to go on, he merely takes another - so he can afford to go slowly. He needs to stay hidden, but he also needs that adulation he gets from his followers, but 'good' things come to those who wait.

I suppose the episode gives the impression that he's just moved into his current compound. However, it's quite possible that he'd been there for a few years (having a few followers build the ring-room and escape tunnel) before attracting the attention of the authorities to the extent that Daniel was able to track him down on a Government website.

Just my thoughts, of course.
                sigpic

Comment

Have I shredded this one yet? Don't think so...

What was good:
                  a. Basic plot. Okay, so it didn't work as well as it could've, but it was still a good idea.
                  b. Location. I like seeing the Pacific NW. Oh well.
                  c. The bit where Sam gets Seth with the ribbon device. Partial redemption of this ep.
                  d. Probably lots else, but I haven't seen it in a while... :rollseyes:

What wasn't good:
                  a. How it turned out. As I said in the above (a), it was a good idea, but it just didn't work believably. Seth's 'throne' looked like it'd been made for an amature theatre production, not a TV show (there is, in fact, a subtle difference). I would expect Seth to have a few more followers--ye whole 'Seth is life!!' deal would have been a bit more intimidating/serious if there had been more people shouting. And why did all the followers put their hoods up when they left the tunnel? [Sincere apologies if these have already been addressed.]

Again...there was likely a lot more that was good ('cause I know I sound incessantly negative), but I haven't seen this for a year or so...

Comment

I think the hoods went up so Setesh could hide.. Just a plot device, I think.
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

True. I suppose you could argue that Seth required his minions to cover their heads if they leave the compound and go into the 'outside world'; but the term 'plot device' seems to be the most appropriate at the end of the day.
                      sigpic

Comment

I thought the idea behind this episode was great, seth hiding amongst us through the ages. But the actual filming seemed a bit lame his guards and weaponry outside seemed a bit OTT. And I doubt he would need a mind control gas to keep those students to do his bidding. And none of them was older you would think he'd keep them until they were too old to be his slaves!
                        And his throne was laughable which is a shame as I liked Seth as a character, I think he was wasted being killed like that. Maybe they had budget issues at this point but I think this ep could have been a bit better.

Comment

Good idea for an ep but it didn't work out well.

Comment

Two things in its favour, though:

- Jacob Carter. No matter how lumpen an episode, he always lifts it, partcularly when he locks horns with Jack.

- The 'Joke'. Poor Teal'c. It's the way he tells 'em...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Perriman33
                              I thought the idea behind this episode was great, seth hiding amongst us through the ages. But the actual filming seemed a bit lame his guards and weaponry outside seemed a bit OTT. And I doubt he would need a mind control gas to keep those students to do his bidding. (...)I liked Seth as a character, I think he was wasted being killed like that.
                              I'd agree. I love the concept, but there were a couple of hitches in execution. The nish'ta and method of "deprogramming" always seemed like kind of an emotional cop-out...I felt a little cheated when they just had to Zat-zap the kids in the cult to make them all better. Kind of like the end of "Family". It seems like the Goa'uld would be a lot more interesting and intimidating if they were able to inspire that kind of religious zeal without resorting to mind-control gas.

It did, however, allow SG-1 to get mind-frelled and absorbed into the cult. Sam's expression of pure adoration in itself is enough to make the "bleh" plot device worth it.

But it really is too bad that they killed Seth. He was SO cool. I love the idea of an ancient Egyptian god that's been on earth this whole time...the guy probably drives a Porsche and carries a cell phone. Plus it really helps to give a perspective on how ancient the Goa'uld really are. You kinda have a tendency to forget when there's no frame of reference.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that the nish'ta came out of the noses of the setesh heads on either side of Seth's throne? I thought that was funny. "The Setesh guard's nose drips."

Comment

idea = good
                                acting = good
                                casting of seth = poor

I think its just me but this guy just didnt carry off the whole Goa'uld thing for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X