No announcement yet.

Out of Mind (222)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like your assessment and comments regarding this episode. While a clip-show, I still enjoy it. Watched it last night and realized it had been fifteen years since I'd last seen it
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

That's strange because my wife and I watched this last night and both thought his hair looked different in this episode - it doesn't look like this in any other episode.

Comment

Originally posted by photoglyph View Post
        That's strange because my wife and I watched this last night and both thought his hair looked different in this episode
        Who are you talking about?

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

GateGhost said:
          October 14th, 2011 04:08 PM
          Default Re: Out of Mind (222)
          “My favorite part of this episode is MS hair cut, it made him look much younger“

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by photoglyph View Post
              GateGhost said:
              October 14th, 2011 04:08 PM
              Default Re: Out of Mind (222)
              “My favorite part of this episode is MS hair cut, it made him look much younger“
              With regards to this quote... Photoglyph, perhaps interesting to know, you can quite easily "Reply with quote" or if you want to quote multiple posts, just click the button right next to "Reply with quote" -- that's the multiquote button.

At which point you can erase text you don't need, and only reply to the text you do want to reply to. As long as you don't remove the [ quote ][/ quote ]-tags, you're good.
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Error (?)

1. They have upgraded the Nox city animation:
                http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/2x22/01.jpg
                http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/2x22/02.jpg
                My comment : I wouldn't count this as a mistake as they corrected a not so convincing painting type animation into a rotating one.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

15.38. But this is only season 2, I will get better with practice, I hope.
                  http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                    15.38. But this is only season 2, I will get better with practice, I hope.
                    I got better with practice. You will, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      8 minutes and 22 seconds later I'm done with all the jigsaw puzzles... Onwards to season 3.
                      8 minutes and 26 seconds later... I am foiled again!

Despite being a sneaky way to revisit clips from past episodes, this was a pretty fun concept...
                      sigpic
                      signature art by lunasera

Comment

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
                        8 minutes and 26 seconds later... I am foiled again!
                        Feeling the hot breath in my neck there...

Comment

I feel nothing
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            I feel nothing
                            Bahahaha I'm sure you don't .... yet.
                            sigpic
                            signature art by lunasera

Comment

Originally posted by lunasera View Post
                              Bahahaha I'm sure you don't .... yet.
                              Oooooh....

Comment

I just rewatched the episode for the first time since 2006, and I was a bit surprised to see Hathor appear out of thin air in the fake gate room. I'm assuming they didn't intend for her to be cloaked since the interrogators seemed shocked to learn that the Nox could "make themselves invisible," which leaves teleportation. So much for it being a big deal later on when Anubis (and then Ba'al) get their hands on Asgard beaming technology.

I'm not going to read too much into it, though. I assume it was just an easy way to bring her into the scene and the writers later regretted it like they did with a ZAT's third shot, so they "disappeared" it.

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                                Besides which, I don't know anyone who remembers or dreams from a third-person perspective.
                                *raises hand* Uh, I do that regularly, and until just now I didn't know that there were people who didn't. It seems natural to me to envision a memory as a third-person narrative. Do you not do that when you tell a story about yourself to someone? When I remember things, I'm telling myself a story, so I fill in things that I didn't see in the moment like myself and the entirety of room around me (usually in broad strokes). It also seems natural to see yourself in a dream from an outside perspective. I have had first-person dreams, and I have had dreams where the perspective shifts, but third-person is my default. Even though it feels like me in the moment, I'm usually watching myself play a character.

I can't recall there ever being a time in my life when I didn't do this, and I have a really good recall of my life from 5 on, in large part because I always spent a lot of time replaying memories in my head. As a result, I have a lot of memories of time spent remembering and of analyzing how I remember. From a very young age I was aware that I was remembering copies of copies of my actual memory, and I was worried about how that would impact their quality over time. I didn't have this reference until years later, but I was essentially concerned that it was like the Asgard cloning process in that by the time I was old and remembered a memory of a memory of a.... x10000 it would have degraded significantly.

I also would analyze how my perspective was distorted in my memories. For example, when remembering a conversation I would place myself and a person I was talking to in the space we were in, and I'd be looking at us from an outside perspective, but I was always the same height as that other person, regardless of if they were adults who actually towered over me or smaller kids.

I'm curious now if third-person memories/dreams are more common in people who become storytellers of some sort. I briefly googled this and found this study:

"Visual perspective

To assess their general tendency to retrieve memories from the 1st or the 3rd person perspective, participants were presented with a description of the two perspectives, drawn from Libby and Eibach (2002):

“Sometimes we “see” a memory from a first-person perspective. In a first-person memory you see the event from the same visual perspective that you originally did; in other words, in your memory you are looking out at your surroundings through your own eyes. However, at other times we “see” a memory from a third-person perspective. In a third-person memory you see the event from an observer's visual perspective; in other words, you can actually see yourself, as well as your surroundings.”

Participants were then asked to complete the following statement, “In general, the visual perspective I have in my memories is…” The response scale ranged from 1 (completely 3rd person) to 10 (completely 1st person). Thus, higher scores indicate retrieval from a more 1st person perspective. In the current sample, visual perspective had a mean of 6.70 (SD = 2.22)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2933036/

The study it cites is behind a paywall, so I don't know what percentage of people said they completely remember in the first-person versus third-person. The numbers this article gives demonstrate that people who remember, not necessarily entirely but mostly, in the first-person are more common, but not overwhelming so. Other passages speak to people switching between perspectives depending on the situation. For example, if you think you've changed a lot from who you used to be, you might view memories of your old self in the third-person. There are also claims that some people may be more inclined to view memories in the third-person as a way to detach themselves from the trauma and there can be positives to teaching people to view certain memories in one perspective or the other.

These don't speak to my experience with third-person memories, but that's probably because this is skewed toward patients receiving treatment for something. I'll have to look into this more when I have some time.
                                Last edited by Xaeden; 04 May 2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X