1969 (221)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ancient 1
    This probably wouldn't be a good idea (for them to meet any of SG-1 again). They thought they were helping aliens to get back home. Now to see them again would raise a lot of questions, (like why they stayed on earth, or why did they come back, and why haven't they aged?) and no one wants to even try to explain time travel.
    Yeah, but Michael and Jenny believe they're aliens. Who knows if those are even their real bodies? Who knows how long their 'species' lives? What about suspended animation? Lots of sf-type stuff that could be happening. And I'll bet Jenny and Michael became big sf fans after their encounter with SG-1.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
      Yeah, but Michael and Jenny believe they're aliens. Who knows if those are even their real bodies? Who knows how long their 'species' lives? What about suspended animation? Lots of sf-type stuff that could be happening. And I'll bet Jenny and Michael became big sf fans after their encounter with SG-1.
      I'm just saying that for them to meet again would open up a can of worm(hole)s.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

In 1969, Michael and Jenny might have believed they were aliens, but who knows if over the decades they hadn't written off that assumption as these four people covering something up. And then deciding not to worry about it!
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Probably not since they overheard Carter talking about establishing a wormhole to another planet when she wasn't aware that they could hear.
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
            Probably not since they overheard Carter talking about establishing a wormhole to another planet when she wasn't aware that they could hear.
            Well, they could just have decided they were four escapees from the looney bin, I guess .
            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
              Well, they could just have decided they were four escapees from the looney bin, I guess .
              True enough...however I didn't see this in the episode guide or anything like that, so I need to ask (just because it bugs me)...

WHEN WAS THERE EVER A MISSILE IN CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN?

The place is a nerve center, not a launch point.

Comment

It wasnt a real missile, they said that it was just a thing for training.
                FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                  I'm just saying that for them to meet again would open up a can of worm(hole)s.
                  LOL

I think time travel eps are always really hard to get ur head around ... the whole if u didnt go back this wouldnt have happened or if u do something back then it will change everything ...etc.
                  But the highlight for me was DJ's line "I speak 23 languages - pick one!!" and seeing MS trying to talk German it was sooo funny especially the stereotypical accent ... with the actual German he didnt do too bad imo.

Check out stargate_pad; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom!

Comment

I watched this yesterday and one thing bugged me. The note that Hammond gives Carter has the date and time of the two solar flares. Why does he write the times in 12hr clock format and not 24hr. You would thing that being a military man it would have been in 24hr.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                      I watched this yesterday and one thing bugged me. The note that Hammond gives Carter has the date and time of the two solar flares. Why does he write the times in 12hr clock format and not 24hr. You would thing that being a military man it would have been in 24hr.
                      IMO, there could be two reason for this.

1) If Hammond copied the dates down, they would probably would be in the 12hr format.

2) If he use the military format, I have a hard time figuring out the pms quickly, although I know them, so would others in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by starfish
                        If the future is not predetermined (as Carter says) then how does time travel into the past work if they return to the present? Because returning to the present would imply that the future was predetermined.

Ohhh so confusing. I think I must have missed something vitally important about the concept of time travel. lol.
                        LOL. Very true - if the future is not predetermined then there is nothing in the future yet?!?.. because back in time the present is in the future!! I give up - thankfully we cant time travel - its way too confusing!!

Check out stargate_pad; a pairing a day for the stargate fandom!

Comment

This ep has a special place in my heart, as it's the one that got me hooked. Wonderfully written. I loved the banter between the team members, and seeing everyone in vintage was great! Time travel eps can often fall into the traps of being cliche or just too confusing, and this one did neither. This kid who played young Hammond was perfect, and Teal'c learning to drive is hilarious. Oh I could go on and on....great ep!
                          And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                          Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                          Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                          Daniel: Oh! You see?
                          Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

An all round great episode that still stands up - just watched it again for what must be the zillionth time and still enjoyed it .
                            I love the hitch-hiking bit where Teal'c steps out in front of the hippy bus - he is the star of this ep in my eyes. And Daniel's German accent - has me in stiches.
                            I try not to explore the issues raised about time travel, okay it has holes but then so does just about every sci-fi time travel story - and I think my head would explode if I did

Comment

Actully if one goes to the past from the future, they know the what has happened (ie. If they were from 1999 going to 1969; so it then for SG-1 the future is ploted, they know what has happened). But if they change one thing in the given timeline. that's when the whole timelife shifts.

Am I making sense???

Comment

The only problem i have with this ep is the whole time travel thing. Basically they use the theory that events that won't happen until some one from the past or future intervenes have already happend. For example Cassandra knows that they will come but for that to happen SG-1 would have to be sent back by Cassandra so that Sam can tell Cassandra to send them back. (A little confusing i know.)
                                My theory on how time travel would work is that things can't happen until the thing that pre-cursors it happens. Meaning that the loop that goes around and around must start at the beginning and that beginning for SG-1 going into the future is when SG-1 first steps into the future and there would be no one there. Why would anyone be there if SG-1 hasn't told Cassandra to be there.

The same would apply for SG-1 going back to 1969 and Hammond. This one is more complicated so i didn't want to type it out.

[Rant Off]

Comment

Working...
                                X