No announcement yet.

Holiday (217)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am really not a fan of this episode. I don't think RDA did a terribly good job as Teal'c, he just wooden and monotone. And while the make-up for Machello was good, it just sounded like MS with a head cold and it really got on my nerves. CJ did show what a really good actor he is, however, getting RDA's mannerisms and cadence down pat. And the performances by DSD (confronting Machello in the holding cell) and AT (at Daniel's deathbed) were stellar. I can find things to like in this episode, but there are many others I'd rather watch.

Comment

I thnik this was good ep When Tiel'c and O'niell ... were changed ... That was so funny
      The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable...
      sigpic

Comment

I think that "What happened with Daniel's credit card bill post-episode?" could be added to the "Unanswered Questions" part of the episode overview. Are we to assume that SGC got the credit card to cancel the charge when they saw it was used, or maybe that Daniel did it himself later?

Perhaps we should be surprised that the charge even went through; that is, unless they pay Daniel Jackson a large amount of money for his work, which I guess isn't outside the realm of possibilities. Otherwise, I'd be surprised that the charge wasn't denied.

Comment

Originally posted by albatross View Post
          I noticed something interesting (and geeky) this time round: when Daniel (in Ma'Chello's body) and Ma'Chello (in Daniel's body) are arguing about whether or not Ma'Chello is no better than the Goa'uld for stealing Daniel's body, both characters pronounce 'Goa'uld' differently, despite both being played by MS. Ma'Chello pronounces it 'Go-A-Uld' and Daniel pronounces it 'Gould'... which shows that at least one person has noticed that the majority of characters in the show mispronounce 'Goa'uld' as 'Gould'. Small things like this please me.
          I noticed it too, and thought it was pretty cool. Machello's voice and accent were also completely different from Daniel's. Some bits were embarrassing, particularly Machello wandering the streets in Daniel's body, but other bits were funny, particularly the head shaving bit. I do hope that Jack and Teal'c will gain a deeper understanding from having shared each other's bodies.

RDA's Teal'c was a bit wooden admittedly, but CJ's O'Neill was brilliant. Just goes to show how his acting abilities are under-utilized as the deadpan Teal'c.
          sigpic

Comment

ok...this is only the 2nd time watching this. Oh, isn't it a good thing that they were kind enough to take Ma'chello back with them? : )

While body switching is certainly nothing new on a SciFi show, the added bonus of there being a person out there who was a Goa'uld killer was pretty cool. I like episodes where they find more people who are against the Goa'uld and have methods to fight them. It makes it seem more like there is a huge world out there that was fighting the Goa'uld not just since we joined the 'club.'

oh geez...hilarious! It was such a ridiculous blast watching RDA and CJ play each other. I'd forgotten how hilarious it was. Gotta love poor Sam...trying to figure out the mess (as usual).

It is too sad that Ma'chello had such a rotten sad little life after what he had tried to do. I'm with everyone else...it would've been nice if they'd found a way to solve his problem. Besides, he was pretty cold, cold, cold there at the end regarding Daniel's life. Yeah, i'm sorry for him, but he was kind of a jerk. Poor Daniel...that credit card bill is just not fair!

what's also not fair (but a cosmic coincidence) is the fact that Ma'chello not once, but twice gets to wreck havoc on Daniel's life. Very wrong!

I love Fred, he was such a nice dear little man, friendly and kind. He made the episode! "That explains a lot." : )

Oh priceless moment when Jack catches "Teal'c" trying to shave his head!!!!
            "Teal'c you will not shave my head!"

Gotta Love Jack's reaction after he's back in his body. "Yes Yes..." then without a beat..."Shave my Head!!!" Waay too funny.
            Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

6/10

Farscape did it MUCH better. I really just didn't find the actors portrayals to be very convincing.

I don't understand why they didn't just use an old man to play Ma'chello. I didn't realize it was MS immediately but eventually realized it was him. Even so, it was obvious from the start it was a young guy in old man makeup.

At this point in the series it would have been nice for SGC to have some decent advanced technology for their fight. Looks like more useful tech just disappears.
              Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

A great ep. Couldn't stop laughing at Jack in Teal'cs body. The way he spoke and acted is the complete opposite of Teal'c. Hilarious.

Love the parts with Ma'chello and Fred.

Sad ending. Ma'chello: Thanks for my holiday.
                sigpic

Comment

What a fun episode. It's a delight to see the actors playing each others parts, the best bits being those involving Jack/Teal'c and Jack/Daniel's swaps. I only wish we could have seen more of them.

Michael Shanks also gives it his all in the joint roles (although I don't really understand why he played Machello, and they didn't just hire an elderly man). Following his adventure is enjoyable, but feels a bit laboured and I'd personally like to spend more time with Jack and Teal'c. Both RDA and Chris Judge are fantastic in each other's characters, Chris in particular really nail the mannerisms and dialogue. RDA is good but not perfect, he doesn't quite match the speech patterns that we expect from Teal'c, but he does give a performance far removed from O'Neill.

- This episode was crying out be followed up, given how much technology Machello leaves behind. We get the season 3 episode 'Legacy' which references more of his inventions, but nothing more after that.

- The electronic device Carter finds at the start which holds information on Machello's inventions looks SO outdated by today's standards! Hardly an iPad, more of a Psion Organiser!

- The musical chairs sequence is so much fun to watch (and the sort of puzzle I would never figure out how to do without a lot of time!). Michael Shanks playing Jack is brilliant ("Danny boy!"), it's a shame RDA doesn't get much of a chance to play Daniel.

- This episode contains some strong memories for me. At a place I used to work, I had a friend who got into SG-1 and was going through all the episodes, and he would randomly quote lines of dialogue and do decent impersonations. One of the ones that stuck for a long long while was him suddenly shouting, "YES, INVENTIONS TO FIGHT THE GOA'ULD!" at random moments.

RATING: 7.5 out of 10
                  Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 20 September 2011, 01:04 PM.
                  Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by FrodoFraggins View Post
                    Farscape did it MUCH better. I really just didn't find the actors portrayals to be very convincing.
                    It's my favourite episode of Farscape. But I still think this ep was great too...
                    My LiveJournal post
                    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

One of the more fun episodes of season 2. I've always liked this one.

Teal'c and O'Neill switching bodies was fun and the each did a pretty good impression of the other, but I have to agree, Chris Judge got O'Neill's mannerisms more often than not. I would have liked to have seen more of Jack in Daniel's body and Daniel's in Jack's, RDA got Daniel's unsure self hugging pose and surprise at learning of Jack in his body perfectly and Michael did a great O'Neill, gesturing him over with a " Danny boy."

Loved the interaction between Fred and Ma'chello, talking at cross purposes about fighting evil tyrants.

FRED: So, uh, I get the feeling you fought in the Gulf. Am I right?
                      DANIEL/MA'CHELLO: No, but I was a soldier. I fought many battles. I was captured and tortured.
                      FRED: That explains a lot.
                      DANIEL/MA'CHELLO: I continued to fight, and lost all that I loved and cared for. But I knew I could not surrender. For you. If it were not for me, you would all be conquered by now.
                      FRED: (incredulous) By who, Saddam?
                      DANIEL/MA'CHELLO: He is not a System Lord I am familiar with. But several others would have wiped you out.

Wonder what Daniel's reaction was when he received his his credit card bill!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        Wonder what Daniel's reaction was when he received his his credit card bill!!!
                        Perhaps Daniel would think that the bill was a small price to pay for getting his life back, and then try to get reimbursed for Ma'chello's spending.

I'm also not sure why Michael played Ma'chello as an old man. It would have been more believable--that make up was awfull! MS did a great job playing Ma'chello in his body; from being cold and calculating in the infirmary asking if his body (with Daniel inside) about how long he would live to the innocent who ends up with Fred.

I would have liked to see Sam get into the mix, but I guess she had to remain herself to find the solution.

The "musical chairs" was fun, but confusing. This is what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong):
                        Step 1: Ma’cello into Tea’c’s body; Jack into Daniel’s body
                        Step 2: Tea’c into Ma’cello’s body; Daniel into Jack’s body
                        Step 3: Tea’c into Tea’c’s body; Ma’cello into Ma’cello’s body
                        Step 4: Jack into Jack’s body; Daniel into Daniel’s body

Comment

Explain again how the switching device fights the Goa'uld? ;-)

Another lite offering and accepted as that. Jack does learn to Kel'no'reem and we feel Teal'c would have made a very scary Ma'chello.

Fav bits include Hammond telling Jack how he's not himself and Daniel eating ice cream.

Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
                            Explain again how the switching device fights the Goa'uld? ;-)

Another lite offering and accepted as that. Jack does learn to Kel'no'reem and we feel Teal'c would have made a very scary Ma'chello.

Fav bits include Hammond telling Jack how he's not himself and Daniel eating ice cream.

Sweet.
                            It was Machello's solution to hiding his face from the Goa'uld. And it would allow him to live on and on. Had Hammond and the team accepted his "deal" they would have had his help in understanding and developing technology against the Goa'uld. But Hammond's response says it all: to us, one life is is priceless.

I get bored with this ep so I rewatched it at 1.5x speed. RDA's performance was actually much improved at that speed.

Comment

The switching machine was not for fighting the Goa'uld. He made it specifically to take someone's body as he felt that he was entitled for altruistic deeds he had done. He had his life pod keeping him in status until he could take the body of the first traveler that came through the stargate in his lab.

Comment

This is another one that is a mixed bag. I find myself not caring Ma'chello's demand/quest for a peaceful life. He made his choice fight the Goa'uld and needs to live with it. A person's actions doesn't make one more entitiled then a peaceful life. Because I disagree with Ma'chello his journey doesn't interest me.

I had more fun with Teal'c/O'Neill switching bodies. Its hilarious seeing Judge play O'Neill and RDA as Teal'c. Also it introduces the whole concept of kelnorem wich is very important for latter episodes so that interests me.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X