No announcement yet.

Family (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bra'tac at least wears real chainmail -- could be alluminium, that isn't as heavy as iron. LIKE!

Chris Judge made the foam rock move when he runs towards it to hide before they take out the two guards near the gate.

Story-wise I'm not too happy with it, but I could agree it's an emotional ep for Teal'c and we do learn what happened to his family since last time we saw them.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

To me the Family episode is a character development episode fair and square. There was an ep (Cold Lazarus) where we basically see what makes Jack tick so to speak, now we see what makes Teal'C tick even more than the Bloodlines one.

Yeah, he was here too headstrong, stubborn, not willing to accept that his son might be tricking everyone. But, heck, look around you IRL, you'll see the same. No matter how the kid is lost to society, even if it's 40 year old dude, the parents will always claim that he's another Jesus to come down! I've met a few like that myself, I've been in a court where despite the 146% proof that a 14 year kid murdered 10 people in one night, his mom yelled that he's an angel and could never have done it. That's damn straight natural for parents to idealize their children, nobody is to blame here truth be told. So Teal'C's reaction were written realistic, at least to me.

Same about his first move to kill Fra'Tak. Teal'C still loves Drey'Oc, and the move to strangle the dirty scoundrel (to not use another more suitable word that GW won't accept) is yet again a natural human reaction for someone with strong feelings in his soul. I'd do the same to anyone who would dare to lay a finger on my girlfriend, not saying wife.

And, yes, it keeps bugging me - why didn't they move his family to Land of Light the first time they could? Well, I guess it was so we'd see this episode, whether would we like it or not.

Rating: 6/10
      Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond Serpent View Post
        why didn't they move his family to Land of Light the first time they could?
        Because his wife didn't want to go. So she divorced Teal'c and moved on with her life.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond Serpent View Post
          Yeah, he was here too headstrong, stubborn, not willing to accept that his son might be tricking everyone. But, heck, look around you IRL, you'll see the same. No matter how the kid is lost to society, even if it's 40 year old dude, the parents will always claim that he's another Jesus to come down! I've met a few like that myself, I've been in a court where despite the 146% proof that a 14 year kid murdered 10 people in one night, his mom yelled that he's an angel and could never have done it. That's damn straight natural for parents to idealize their children, nobody is to blame here truth be told. So Teal'C's reaction were written realistic, at least to me.
          While true to an extent, i feel parents who are that blind to reality are somewhat mental.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            While true to an extent, i feel parents who are that blind to reality are somewhat mental.
            It might be a biological thing, though. For example, there have been studies about obese children in which the (healthy) parents of obese children had to identify the body shape of their children and others. Surprisingly, they were capable of determining who was skinny, normal/healthy and overweight except when it came to their own children! For some reason, they just couldn't see that their kid was fat. A different child who was slightly lighter or of the same weight would have been identified as fat by the same people but they were blind when it came to their own child.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for children's behaviors. Could be a parental thing, to protect their own offspring or something.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Agreed. Plus there is social factor in our situation here in Russia. I'm told that before the 90es, nobody would treat the kids like I've told earlier. If they were doing something naughty or against the law, the family would stand on the side of law. But then the regime changed, police became worse than bandits. People didn't know who to trust, most of the cases up to late 90es were framing because bandits basically ran the country. Naturally, the reaction was that children are innocent, this is all is frame and so on. Now when it's working properly again, people are still inertial, the mentality alters to better state slower than to worse it seems...

So I doubt it that in Jaffa culture the trust was something of a given fact. They all live in delusion and at whim of their god. So such protective behavior would develop rather fast IMO.
              Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

People are alike wherever you are - Jaffa are not so different from humans!
                Nice family portrait - but I agree, I also like the first actress playing Teal's wife better.
                CARPE DIEM
                ANJA

Comment

Cool episode, and some really cool character development. That said, you'd think the Goa'uld would have figured out by now that you can cure someone of brainwashing by zatting them...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    Cool episode, and some really cool character development. That said, you'd think the Goa'uld would have figured out by now that you can cure someone of brainwashing by zatting them...
                    Provided the brainwashing is discovered in time!
                    CARPE DIEM
                    ANJA

Comment

But with as often as Jaffa get Zatted in combat, shouldn't any brainwashin attempts be easy to counter?

Comment

Perhaps brainwashed Jaffas are not sent into battle but used for special tasks with no immediate risk of being zatted.

CARPE DIEM
                        ANJA

Comment

It might also be that if you are brainwashed long enough before being zatted, the brainwashed state remains. I.e., if Ry'ac hadn't been zatted until he was an adult, he would remain Apophis' loyal servant.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

If I ever liked this episode, I'm not entirely sure that I still do.

The whole time my inner alarm bells are ringing so loud, I actually checked whether there was someone at the door (no, I didn't but you get my point). I mean, hello TRAP!! Like really, TRAP!

Drey'auc annulled her marriage with Teal'c and hitches up with the first guy that asks, also the only guy that asks. She does it for self-preservation, which I think was her every right but Teal'c's best friend... I mean, hello... he probably loved her since their dating times and has always been jealous of Teal'c so he finally gets the girl and then she goes around and makes out with her ex-husband. Cue the betrayal.

Apophis using Ry'ac to get to Teal'c is probably a normal thing to do - coax the traitor out and hit him where it hurts.

And then Ry'ac's deprogrammed with the flash of a zat -- all a bit too convenient if you ask me.

How would you rate SG-1's "Family?"

Excellent
                            Good
                            Fair
                            Poor
                            Terrible

Edit: Oh totally forgot...
                            Chulak knows about dinosaurs, or more specifically tyranosaurs? Cause Drey'auc is holding a toy in her hands when the team arrives and it's a wooden T-rex.

3-episode quiz -- THIS WAY!

Jigsaw puzzle!
                            Last edited by Falcon Horus; 03 January 2018, 11:02 AM.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

FH is mostly right. This episode is a good idea but the execution is wrong. It's so obvious a trap and the way the characters act is so contradictory to themselves. This is most obvious with Tealc. I too have a problem with comparing a zat blast to ECT. SG1 should have severe brain damage. It would also made a lot more sense for Jack to zat Fro'tak three times to remove the evidence.

6 minutes and 23 seconds
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I found this episode forgettable, literally...I totally forgot about it until my rewatch that I started last year. Good Lord, the betrayal was a visible from Earth. To be honest, I have easily forgotten that Teal'c is a family man multiple times only to be reminded and say "oh yeah". My point is that it felt rather tacked on, not fully thought out. And this episode is the genesis of such things. This is the part where stargate does falter a bit. The lives surrounding the characters beyond their adventures. Then again...I think that's more of a 90's thing too. I can't remember how I felt about this back when I first saw it.

10 Minutes and 12 Seconds.
                                Last edited by aretood2; 12 January 2018, 05:01 PM.
                                By Nolamom
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X