No announcement yet.

Line In The Sand (1012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall an excellent episode, slightly predicable in some places, little rushed and obvious at the end but not bad at all.

What I liked
    The character interactions were very well played. I really enjoyed the bond of friendship between Cam and Sam. Not shippy at all to my mind but very good performances from both - hats off to both AT and BB.
    Good Sam whumpage too and it was definately good to see something more serious and threatening than just the odd bump and scratch and to see Sam face up to her mortality.
    The interaction between Sam and Vala at the beginning was good to see.
    Sams password to the personal letters folder on her laptop being "fishing" - cracked me up but then I admit I have a SJ affinity. Nice little touch and nod to the background of the character. Just a teaser that leaves it open to intrepretation as you want.
    Great to see more background / story on the religion of the Ori, the stories and the interpretations.
    Enjoyed the Tomin / Vala moments. Powerfully played and showed a believable passage for Tomin through blind faith to questioning the Prior and to some extent his faith.

Not so hot things
    That damn villlage again! Enough already
    Too easy for Tomin to get Vala off the ship and if Tomin believes he will be killed for helping her and still loves her, doesnt make sense that he would stay behind.
    Bit rushed and obvious at the end for me.

Overall 8/10

Comment

Originally posted by Kazan View Post
      Sams password to the personal letters folder on her laptop being "fishing" - cracked me up but then I admit I have a SJ affinity. Nice little touch and nod to the background of the character. Just a teaser that leaves it open to intrepretation as you want.
      That's considered S/J? I don't really get why. I figured that it was either (a) she discovered that she actually did enjoy fishing when she finally went there with the team so thought it'd be a fun password or else (b) normally in the past it would've been Jack who needed access to get personal letters to hand to people if she didn't make it given that he was her CO and is her friend so she picked a password that he'd easily remember too if those circumstances ever occurred. I guess I'm in the dark about why fishing is S/J...though I don't really get why some consider her saying "Jack-isms" to be shippy either given that it seems perfectly normal when hanging out with someone as much as SG-1 did for 8-10 years because then they're bound to rub certain sayings or characteristics off on each other. I pick up a lot of sayings that my best friend has, you don't have to be dating or married for that. Actually I'd say that Teal'c and Daniel have also had a lot of Jack rub off on them over the years so I think that's a given for everyone on SG-1 not just Sam.

In any case, pretty good episode. Not as good as The Quest 2 and it doesn't feel entirely complete without Daniel there but we'll have to wait a bit for that I guess. I like when the interactions among the team are mixed up. There has been too much Daniel/Vala, Teal'c/Mitchell, and Sam on her own this season. I'd really be interested in seeing Teal'c and Vala interact more because they're such fun in their small scenes together and I do also like Sam and Mitchell's interactions though I miss some good old Sam/Daniel/Teal'c interaction too.

Comment

Any images or a transcript to show?
        Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

I loved it. A little slow in the middle, maybe.

Anyone else notice the villager that revealed Teal'c was played by the same actor as "Captain Kyle Rogers" of 3x09 Rules Of Engagement?
          www.AlexReekie.com

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn View Post
            Any images or a transcript to show?
            ditto

Comment

Originally posted by diamond_rough View Post
              That's considered S/J? I don't really get why. I figured that it was either (a) she discovered that she actually did enjoy fishing when she finally went there with the team so thought it'd be a fun password or else (b) normally in the past it would've been Jack who needed access to get personal letters to hand to people if she didn't make it given that he was her CO and is her friend so she picked a password that he'd easily remember too if those circumstances ever occurred. I guess I'm in the dark about why fishing is S/J...though I don't really get why some consider her saying "Jack-isms" to be shippy either given that it seems perfectly normal when hanging out with someone as much as SG-1 did for 8-10 years because then they're bound to rub certain sayings or characteristics off on each other. I pick up a lot of sayings that my best friend has, you don't have to be dating or married for that. Actually I'd say that Teal'c and Daniel have also had a lot of Jack rub off on them over the years so I think that's a given for everyone on SG-1 not just Sam.

S/J shippers know the two characters will never get together so they've been grasping at the slightest hint of a 'shippy' moment, even though 99% it wasn't meant to be shippy at all.

Comment

I wonder if "FISHING" is a metaphor for the inner peace she's found since S8. I think Sam honestly did come to terms with a lot of stuff at the end of Moebius, with the guys. And since then, she hasn't been as by-the-books, rigid, etc - she was slowly losing that edge when she was the CO of SG-1 that season. Maybe "fishing" is how she remembers that turning point in her life.

Comment

Keep thinking that.Denial is a beautiful thing.Fishing means Sam/Jack are together IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                    Keep thinking that.Denial is a beautiful thing.Fishing means Sam/Jack are together IMO.
                    I'm a shipper, but when it comes to proof, I'm holding out on something direct and undeniable. Sam's password is neither direct, nor is it undeniable.

Comment

Anybody have any images or a transcript to show us?
                      Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Really enjoyed this episode. It was very much a classic style SG-1 ep from start to finish. Something which I feel has been lacking recently.

The "fishing" password wasn't meant to imply anything, I don't see how it could. It was just a nod to the close friendship between Carter and O'Neill (Call it forbidden love if you like, I don't really care.)

I loved the expression on Vala's face when Tomin hit her. You could just tell that under any other circumstances she'd have been right back on her feet and laying into him space vixen stylee.

Comment

I have a few screencaps from particular moments I liked:

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Stef View Post
                            I have a few screencaps from particular moments I liked:
                            <snip>

-Stef
                            Great pics! Thanks for sharing. That fifth one with Vala and Teal'c seriously needs to be turned into a signature, or avatar, or something.

Comment

Anymore screencaps(Tomin's death, Ori fighters, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                                Great pics! Thanks for sharing. That fifth one with Vala and Teal'c seriously needs to be turned into a signature, or avatar, or something.
                                Yes, thanks for the pics Stef! I can't wait to see this episode. About that 5th pic...

Comment

Working...
                                X