Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phibi View Post
    oh yes!!! i loved that scene... i laughed my head off *still chuckles
    That was pretty funny. Daniel seemed pretty shocked too. Imagine seeing that happen to someone trying to kill you.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by spaceangel View Post
      Well thanks for setting me straight on that one. I don't see how any of my comments merit such a snippy retort but maybe I'd feel more chastised if it was golfbooy doing the response. How come you can make such a personal attack on me but I can't mention my own preferences in what I considered to be a pretty mild way.
      On second thoughts, there's no need to answer that. I don't really care. I will not enter into any further discussion on this matter.
      See once again - it's all about you

There is a growing culture here on GW where people make comments about the poster, particularly when someone says they don't like something. Someone doesn't like something so obviously they are making a comment about you (general you). It's time to grow up people.

You weren't supposed to feel chastised nor did I say you couldn't mention your own preferences, if I thought so then I'd say so and probably get modded. I wasn't making an attack on you, I was pointing out that yet again someone takes offence at a poster who didn't like an episode. I was pointing out that Golfbooy comments were about the episode and not about the fans or the actors. I was also pointing out a couple of things I disagreed with and I also pointed out something that you got wrong.

[sarcasm]But of course everything is about you and not the episode [/sarcasm]
      -

Comment

Like alot of people, I think this was a very solid episode. The Final Destination spoof was great, but they should've skipped the head spinning part and killed the guy with something like a poisoned pin-prick. The episode didn't do too much to move the plot, but that's good after the Shroud felt so rushed. They probably closed the Lucian Alliance storyline with this. I mean, they have to expect TPTB to close some things since the series is going to end.

Overall I liked it alot more than I would've expected if you told me it was just going to be about Cam and Vala at Cam's reunion, and the other three escaping bounty hunters. I'd give it 8/10 for being surprisingly good for a filler episode.

P.S. What was the Scooby Doo reference? I didn't watch Scooby Doo much when I was little.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          Question. Why do you always take issue with the people who express an opinion that differs to yours??

Apart from being against forum rules, it is really tiresome. Especially when someone goes to the trouble of saying why they don't like something or how it could be better. You see, some people do actually have standards and don't like everything that is shoved under their noses, unlike some.

You disagree with an opinion then fine, put forward a countering opinion about the episode NOT the person.

I thought it was a pretty lousy ep full of juvenile humour that wandered all over the place haphazardy and had some good visual effects. Others don't agree which is fair enough, at least someone enjoyed it. I happen to agree that Landry is a bad commander though not the most incompetant as I've seen worse but then I don't expect everyone to agree with that, not even 24 year olds in Retail masquerading as majors. Opinions vary, get used to it.
          Read my post. I did present countering opinions I just misread his opening statement. I didnt take iswsue i just simply thought he meant something that I mis took, however I presented oposing views, so don't assume I didnt.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
            Ha, ha. Nope, I don't like a single episode of the show; they're all trash. And I believe it's 214 crap episodes, now that I think about it. And I watch so that I can write posts like that one about Bounty, all in the hope of truly ruining your day. I'm so delighted that it's finally worked after ten years that I can hardly contain my joy. Thank'ee, for validating a decade of effort.

Crap, foiled again! At least I got Mitchell82. I'm sure he feels bad enough for both of you.

In all seriousness, this post isn't about you. It's not designed to make anyone feel badly about themselves or their convictions (which could apparently be a little stronger). It's all about me. Stargate is all about me. These posts I write on this board, they're all about me, too. They say a whole lot about me, Golfbooy, and not much about anyone else who posts here. Think me an ass, think me grossly arrogant, think me unjust, think me a fool (one of Shakespeare's, preferably). But please, think only of me.

I agree. But I didn't get a feeling of self-reference here. Here, I feel like the writers wrote a terrible script, knew it was terrible, and threw it at the audience anyway. In fact, when spoilers for this episode first came out, there was a large enough outcry that they released spoilers for The Shroud in an attempt to divert attention and quell the discontent. There would have been NO indication at all of Daniel's turn as a prior if Bounty hadn't created such an immediate firestorm of criticism. The self-referencing charm of past comedic episodes, of Urgo, Window of Opportunity, The Other Guys, or especially 200, isn't to be found in Bounty. It's humor as a cover for poor quality, not as an accoutrement.

I'm mellow. But I was also once such a fan of the show to really care about it. I cared (and still do) enough to fritter away my time at an online forum about it. I can't think of a stronger recommendation of my appreciation for, if not the present, at least the past of yesteryear. Much to the dismay of some, I believe you'd be hard-pressed to find a bigger fan of Stargate SG-1 than me, and I could tell you all the reasons why I've been so, too. But I won't. You'll just have to take my word for it.
            Sorry that I misread your post I meant no offense. You and I just disagree on this ep.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

- The science convention audience member with the red hair afro - what was he thinking with that style
              I was sure that it was Nabeshin from Excel Saga :-p

Comment

What, was Daniel blind? That assassin was obviously holding a hand-weapon!

Comment

OK, is it Vandenberg, or Vanderberg? The Season 9 DVDs subtitle it as Vanderberg, as does the Omnipedia. But it sounds like Vandenberg to me, even slowed down. Google gets more hits for Vandenberg (Specifically, 'amy vandenberg stargate'), and Firefox's spellcheck is flagging Vanderberg, but not Vandenberg.
                  Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
                  http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantean Engineer View Post
                    P.S. What was the Scooby Doo reference? I didn't watch Scooby Doo much when I was little.
                    Near the end of the episode, Daniel is talking to the bounty hunter and says something about, "those meddling kids" (referring to SG-1). Almost every episode of Scooby Doo ended with the bad guy explaining how he would have gotten away with it if it weren't for "you meddling kids" (those words exactly).

It brought a big smile to my face to see it in the episode.
                    Last edited by meredithchandler73; 09 February 2007, 09:37 AM.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

I actually agree with the criticisms of this episode, and if I was still expecting the glory years of Seasons 3-8 of SG-1 (some would even disagree with those numbers!) I might have written a very similar post.

But I personally (since SG-1 is all about ME as well) stopped seenig Stargate-SG-1 as the serious Space-opera that I fell in love with originally after the Goa'uld and Replicator storylines ended, and they discovered Atlantis. When all those gates activated in Reckoning Part 2, that was really the climax for me. Story over, well done.

And now, as many have said, Seasons 9/10 are more like a spin-off and seen in this light, it is a pale imitation of the best stuff (BB is no RDA, I mean, on the charisma scale, but he's serviceable and likeable to me), and now its more an opportunity to PLAY with the concepts of Stargate. Do a lot of WHAT IF'ing with things like The Ancients' enemies, the other baddies in the universe like the LA, and ancillary characters like Dr. Lee, the Landrys, and Vala.

None of this is taking the 'universe' of stargate as seriously as was done in episodes like There But For the Grace of God, or Absolute Power, or any number of other episodes were there was very little winking and nodding. But I don't mind anymore. I felt satisfied with 8 seasons and the rest now seems like gravy.

And I do mourn for the loss of this 'seriousness', but I can't be too unhappy because I still enjoy sitting infront of the screen and watching most of the same people run around. It does take a bit more of 'suspension of disbelief' on my part (as in Bounty here) but I am up to the task and don't need to bother cursing the fact that they couldn't keep up this genius for all of 10 years.

Stargate is still pretty cool.

Comment

There were moments in Bounty, where I thought to myself "Geez, that was lame". Ironically it had more to do with the settings, and one costume comment. The in-jokes were multiple. But they were more overcome by what I saw was a wickedly funny episode. The entire rescue was telegraphed when Carter voices ' We'll beam in when you release the hostages ' - for those who have not seen it, I hope you'll understand what I mean.

The cool stuff:
                        • Cam - the Orville Reddenbacker comment. I nearly choked on my drink.
                        • Vala... 'sex, sex, sex in the kitchen, sex in the...' comment to Cam's parents. Amazing how some discussions never fail to be awkward.
                        • the SGC has working energy weapon technology. Yup, Dr. Lee has a concept that does work... but he makes it fail on purpose LOL.
                        • Geek-fever. Yes, it does happen. Grrroooowwwwlll!
                        • Daniel + hot chick = she must be an assassin. LOL
                        • ZTarg hand weapons? Common kit for bounty hunters?
                        • Cimmeria Hologram Technology, aka a gift from the Asguard we just made better.
                        • "Its Flammable!" pick up line. Laughed so damned hard. I used to date a girl like that.
                        • Vala's "I'm married.... something I don't like to talk about much ...he's a religious zealot bent on dominating and subjugating every human being in the galaxy".
                          Darren's response "... so you're separated?"
                        The hidden in jokes - too many to list, but:
                        • DAMIAN KINDLER FOR CLASS PRESIDENT (supervising producer) - poster on the pay telephone.
                        • a pay telephone. They still exist?
                        Borderline crappy stuff:
                        • Vala, dressed as Lil'Abner's girlfriend. Comm'on!
                        • The 'scanning beam' as a plot device. Why the hell wasn't it a death ray? SG-1 would no longer be a problem.
                        Okay - overall - I think this episode is one of the better 'make us laugh - fish out of water - okay I can't tell you what I do for a living' episodes. Not as great an episode as Atlantis's First Strike this week, but one I have rewatched 3 times, which is a first for a regular Stargate episode (ok.. I watched 200 more, but that deserved multiple viewings)

Just my nickels worth..

Tech Junkie

Now, upgraded with 1 forum demerit point for the use of sarcasm.
                        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Ambassador Koch, Believers, 1.10 B5

Comment

Originally posted by BewareofthePhil View Post
                          I was sure that it was Nabeshin from Excel Saga :-p
                          not a scifi convention, a Science Symposium (aka science geek convention), and yes they are real. As for the afro, I'm not so sure that was real.

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom View Post
                            I actually agree with the criticisms of this episode, and if I was still expecting the glory years of Seasons 3-8 of SG-1 (some would even disagree with those numbers!) I might have written a very similar post.....

Stargate is still pretty cool.
                            I whole-heartedly agree. Well said.

Comment

I think people are going tobe dissapointed if they think we've got a fully functioning energy weapon, Dr. Lee didn't make it fail on purpose, it just didn't work. Carter only managed to get one shot off because she disabled a power coupling or something...

Comment

Originally posted by tamien View Post
                                Is it just me, or was Vala's dress suspiciously similar to Sam's one in The Road Not Taken?
                                yeah, except I think Sam was wearing a long dress/formal...wasn't she? Now I'll have to check!

I really enjoyed this episode much more than I thought it would. It was laugh out loud funny and very tongue in cheek but Cameron Mitchell? I can believe evil Orville Redenbacher, and scanners, and convenient demises, and cool photon whatever guns, and alien bounty hunters but...you'd rather dance with Amy than Vala?!?

That, I cannot believe.

Cam, Cam, Cam (shakes head in wonder).

Comment

Working...
                                X