Morpheus (1002)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
    I liked the team interaction (though there was missed opportunity to do more with the characters, imo), but it was just too difficult to overlook the weakness of the plot. Oh well, it doesn't matter. Won't be seeing this one again until repeats start airing since I don't tape Stargate anymore.

That's the difference between us, I guess. For me, good character interaction does make up for any problems with plot, and a well executed plot does nothing for me if there aren't those essential character moments to go with it.

Speaking of character moments, I watched the Daniel and Teal'c scene when they're talking about Morgan le Fey, and I loved it. I loved how their conversation was a back and forth, about the same thing, each adding pieces to the final realization. I still get a kick out of Daniel just knowing people are going to get what he's saying without any explanation, despite the fact that it's been years and it hasn't happened. I love that Teal'c wasn't just there keeping guard, but was actually interested. They don't touch enough on the idea that Teal'c is also interested in learning about things around him and has a lot of curiousity, and isn't just a body guard.

I think this is going to be an episode I like more and more as I watch it.
    Last edited by Dani347; 22 July 2006, 12:47 PM.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Like this episode alot.

Have been lucky to have taken the set tours in Vancouver and thought what they did with the village and cave sets was absolutely 'wicked'.

Good use of showing the SG1 team working together again. Been awhile. Then this episode set off at least a few good arcs that will have to addressed, i.e., Daniel IS going to Atlantis and watching Vala's dynamic influence the team.

Beau is taking Landry to being even more of a 'general' than when he started. Doing well with it too.

Not every episode can be a "barn burner" and some must be used to move other points, down the road, along.

Liked this one alot.
      sigpic
      Vancouver 2010
      Chicago 2010
      Chicago 2011
      Jack's CSM

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
        Also disappointing was the lack of any real character development amongst the team. As others have noted heretofore, this episode was rife with oppotunity for some sort of angst between team members. To have not even attempted something meaningful for any member of SG-1 in such a slow moving, open field type story is criminal. You've got tired, cranky, and about-to-die-any-moment characters sitting around for 42 minutes and all they are is tired, cranky, and about-to-die-any-moment? Really? Are you sure? I'm sure there's stuff going on beneath the surface, stuff they'd not say or do under normal circumstances. But here they don't say anything, do anything, or think about anything. What gets me the most is that The Light presented the team in exactly the same, um, light (forgive me), and took advantage of the situation. How hard is it to copy your own show?
        yeah. why can't these guys get it. the CHARACTERS are what drew fans to this show. thier interactions with each other. little bits showing how they care for each other.

IMHO, if they want interest to grow in this nice new show, they need to STOP CUTTING OUT THE CHARACTER INTERACTIONS for favor of sfx and 'plot furthering scenes'

dude, try tightening up your writing a bit, cutting back on the self-indulgent jokes and let those character bits stay in. If i, as a viewer, have the choice between yet another homage and two of the characters talking with each other, i'll take the latter. the homages were fun when they were a handful a season. now they're a handful an episode and it's getting boring.

If we don't care for the characters, we won't give a fig about the show. And some good character interactions can cover up no end of poor plots and bad writing.

the actors on this show are a talented bunch, how bout y'all give them something to do beyond just standing on their mark and delivering the likes that y'all thought was funny at 2am when you cranked it out while you were watching a late night B movie.

Sam and Daniel was a perfect opportunity to have them snark at each other, or yell or lose thier temper. that's what people do when they're tired. they get cranky. so let them get cranky. in that crankyness we learn something about the characters. in PL, sam lost her temper at Lee...why couldn't someone lose thier temper at rymer? let them get grumpy, let them be human.

If season 9 and - potentially season 10 - has an overriding theme it's missed opportunities. Teh show's become so plot driven that it forgets that the characters are who drives the plot. and if i don't care about them, i'm not gonna keep tuning in.

Morpheus was decent enough, but if we'd have had a little less humorous bits, a little less red shirt deaths, a little less 10 second 'wow isn't this dramatic' pausess at the end of each act, maybe there'd have been time to pace the plot out evenly and put in some of those character interactions that so many folks are hungering for
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention that I wasn't really buying into the last scene with Mitchell and Vala, either. I just sort of laughed out loud at Mitchell there. I find that there is just no menace or authority to the character. His lack of presence comes primarily from the dialogue he's forced to deliever. Seriously, him gleefully reminising over Deuce Bigalow, the kooky salad bar line, etc., all serve to downgrade any sense of competence that the character might otherwise have. Richard Dean Anderson, for all of O'neill's jokes, always brought an underlying cynicism and subdued hostility to the character's humor. Jack could be menacing. I find Mitchell's ubiquitous pop culture references and not-funny one liners undercut the character. Honestly, who talks like that? Where's the depth to the character? So, for me, the last scene came across more as Mitchell being somewhat of a bully, unnecessarily hulking over the much smaller Vala. He could have stood where he was and uttered the same lines to better effect. This struck me as heavy (gauntlet clad) handed.

This opinion is sure to be unpopular, but there it is.

Comment

This episode was okay it might even have been good if it hadn't had the cop out of an ending. Although it was obviously just filler between "Flesh and Blood" and "Pegasus Project" - it's like they wrote thos 2 epsides and after they were done they relalised they had a space that needed filling and threw togethr a A-plot out of leftovers from previous episodes (mix one part mysterious illness, one part parasite with one part Deus Ex Machina)

Vala was entertaining to a point her jokes were funny but they felt out of place in this episode and seriously if they could have gotten an ending that made sense by cutting her screen time then cut away
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
              This opinion is sure to be unpopular, but there it is.
              Well, from reading other boards, I'd say your opinion about the Mitchell/Vala scene is pretty on par with the general populace.

I, on the other hand, didn't find it intimidating. I found it more like "lets rein her in before she starts thinking she has the run of the place."
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

mitch's threats are....well rather toothless at the moment

jack we knew could kick bootie. while he was a fantastic man and great leader, he had a very real dark side. he had the devil within him. he could be a stone cold killer and had been in his career

mitch???? i sense no menace from mitch. no seriousness in his past or background. he's a lot like sam in that - at least in the early seasons - so steeped in innocence that you just can't ever see them doing the dirty work. Sam could be innocent. She wasn't the leader.

while i would have no doubt that jack would kick vala's tush...mitch is more liklely to just shake his head and yell at her for not listening to him and powerlessly stomp away.

I think that's why mitch as the boss just doesn't work for me. the writers keep having him deliver all these menacing lines and dramatic phrases adn he sounds like a 14 year old kid yelling frusteratedly at the bullies that he's powerless to do anything about.

Mitch will never be jack because jack was a man...and mitch will never be more than a teenage boy trying to fill the shoes of his 'dad'

and so, mitch's 'threats' to vala....empty threats, which only makes the lines rather funny
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I liked the first 50 minutes of the episode but the end was stupid because they didnt show or tell how they got out of their situation.

Comment

Pretty outright boring.
                    The vala bits where enjoyable, but the main plot, meh, just the umthens incarnation of the diseas of the week alien planet.
                    Excellent cinematrographie however.

Comment

Originally posted by Maj_Cliffhanger

The overall danger to SG-1 and accompanying scientists was well played and engrossing. Vala's subplot was an excellent contrast. Um... one little quibble... it would have been nice if there was some recognition of concurrent events between the two story lines. She apparently had absolutely no idea of what is going on with SG-1 – I can buy this. There is little reason for Landry to tell her – but I can't help think the overall episode would have had more depth if she'd known.
                      you know, as much as vala was endearing in this ep, i would have preferred her storyline not taking place in 'this' ep. why? because i was more interested in what was happening with sg1.

but then again, i'd prefer the old sg1 that had sam, daniel, teal'c (and jack if he was still on). and i also like the smaller cast of old (s/d/t/j) because eps were more intimate that way (more time to spend on an individual's storyline.

but back to the ep; i wish more time was spent on just what it was like (what was going through their minds) while being sleep deprived. especially their end mindsets! (poor sam, thinking she was being buried alive)

sally

ps-... this heat wave REALLY needs to stop. it's now 97.2 degrees fahrenheit in my bedroom. it was 94 before i opened the windows... i thought it would help... help
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                        I think they spent way too much time with Vala. Did she need to talk to Landry twice and see the psychologist so many times? The planet storyline really needed a better ending, and they could've used some of Vala's time to finish the planet story better. Resolving the problem offscreen is just sooo bad, I can't believe the writers got away with that.
                        yes, my opinion too. waaaay too much time with vala's storyline.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Well, the "A" plot sucked miserably, but Vala managed to carry the entire show with her little subplot, so I'm glad they went that route with the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            yes, my opinion too. waaaay too much time with vala's storyline.

sally
                            Actually these were simply the best scenes in the whole episode.
                            T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Trubinator
                              Well, the "A" plot sucked miserably, but Vala managed to carry the entire show with her little subplot, so I'm glad they went that route with the episode.
                              Precisely. Especially that this psychiatric evaluation was also Claudia's idea
                              T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                                Yeah, Mitchell is the same as he was last season in the more serious episodes like The Scourge, Ethon, Camelot, Collateral Damage, Avalon, etc. He was just sleep deprived in the end, and in the beginning they'd just received Teal'c's news about 6 more planets falling to the Ori. I saw him as acting like someone would under those circumstances.
                                the only part i didn't like with mitchell was the very end, when he got in vala's face and warned her to not screw up. (i felt, ooh, just who are you to tell her that?)

my fave bits were sam merely being in the ep. *hugs fave but watered down character*. i also LOVED the co-leading going on!

a quick, but slightly related question. the next new ep (preview) shows sg1 will be going to atlantis. if i want to see the conclusion of this ep, will i have to watch an atlantis ep (never watched one)?

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X