X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbraden66@gmail.com
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    I've just been watching 'The Shroud' where Daniel is captured by SG1 and held in the Odyssey. I noticed that Jack's uniform while at the SGC has two star on it, but then when he is questioning Daniel on the ship he has one star only on the collar. So which is it???
    The General ranks, promotions, etc end up being political. Many, who are about to retire, will get a promotion to increase their retirement pay. While they are active their pay is capped so they make the same pay but for retirement purposes they use a higher number for calculating the retirement pay.

When I first watched that episode, I was doing a WTF? It could have just been a costume error. I can’t think of a security reason to do it.

Leave a comment:

• hedwig
    replied
    By the time Jack appeared in SGU, he was a three star general.

Leave a comment:

• hbk314
    replied
    Originally posted by LionHamster View Post
    He's a brigadier general
    Wrong. He's a Major General at the start of Season 9. This episode had a costume error.

Leave a comment:

• LionHamster
    replied
    I've just been watching 'The Shroud' where Daniel is captured by SG1 and held in the Odyssey. I noticed that Jack's uniform while at the SGC has two star on it, but then when he is questioning Daniel on the ship he has one star only on the collar. So which is it???
    He's a brigadier general

Leave a comment:

• Mac Jackson
    replied
    I agree VSS. He does deserve much more and I hope we see it in the next movie. I choose to agree with TPTB and take it as cannon until the next movie gives us more.

Leave a comment:

• VSS
    replied
    Sorry but my definition of canon extends only to what we see broadcasted. Comments from TPTB may not be representative of the entire writing/production team. We all know Mallozi has made numerous idiotic comments over the years and misled fans.
    Well, MG said the same thing in the commentary for the scene, but in general I agree that it isn't canon. There are enough other hints they've dropped over the years, however, that I don't think there's a lot of doubt that they're an item if people are inclined to think about it at all. But that's the way it's always been.

The main problem is that despite all the screen time Jack has gotten since the end of season 8, no one knows what he's been up to besides sitting behind a desk in Washington. A lot of that screen time hasn't even been "real" and none of it has really advanced the character much, and frankly I think he deserves better considering what a pivotal role he played in stargate SG-1.

Leave a comment:

• majorsal
    replied
    Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
    Actually, TPTB have said that THAT part of the scene is cannon and that they are together. However, they don't let us know if they are dating, living together or, as many have speculated, married by now and keeping it under wraps to anyone outside the team/family. I think/hope/pray that in this third movie they let us know that they DID get their well deserved happy ending and have been married or are getting married. It's waaaaay too long coming.
    YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!

that is all.

Leave a comment:

• Jack_Bauer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mac Jackson View Post
    Actually, TPTB have said that THAT part of the scene is cannon and that they are together. However, they don't let us know if they are dating, living together or, as many have speculated, married by now and keeping it under wraps to anyone outside the team/family. I think/hope/pray that in this third movie they let us know that they DID get their well deserved happy ending and have been married or are getting married. It's waaaaay too long coming.
    Sorry but my definition of canon extends only to what we see broadcasted. Comments from TPTB may not be representative of the entire writing/production team. We all know Mallozi has made numerous idiotic comments over the years and misled fans.

Leave a comment:

• Mac Jackson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jack_Bauer
    replied
    Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    In the "Trio" deleted scene, Sam says:

"He's gonna retire soon, so ... "

However that scene isn't canon since it was never used in an episode, so whether or not the writers decided to incorporate that into the characters of Jack and Sam is still very much up in the air.

Leave a comment:

• leiasky
    replied
    I would like to see how or why he got that 3rd star. I still think it happens in the 3rd SG-1 movie . . .

Leave a comment:

• AnnieS
    replied
    This is television afterall. Considering Sam was promoted pretty fast. It isn't surprising the Jack is now "Lieut. General Jonathan "Jack" O"Neill"!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hedwig
    replied
    Originally posted by VSS View Post
    Does she say that he will or that he might? I don't remember, that scene was was cut from the episode. Maybe that third movie was supposed to tell us why he didn't. But from a completely practical standpoint TPTB are going to keep Jack around as long as RDA is interested and there's a role for him. And it seems to me that they never have a plan for Jack because there's always something new happening- a movie, a new series and now a delay in the next movie. He might very well stay on SGU for the duration of its run.

Plus, what does it mean to retire "soon"? I can tell you that when you've been working a very long time, "soon" can mean a couple of years.
    In the "Trio" deleted scene, Sam says:

"He's gonna retire soon, so ... "

Leave a comment:

• YoshiKart64
    replied
    Don't forget Sam got a new Job after the events of Atlantis season 4 so maybe that changed his decision.

A 4 star general would have to be responsible for more than just Stargate operations, no?

Leave a comment:

• VSS
    replied
    Originally posted by siles View Post
    Yeah, but in season 4 Sam mentions that she's involved with someone from Washington that is going to retire soon - or am I imagining things?
    Does she say that he will or that he might? I don't remember, that scene was was cut from the episode. Maybe that third movie was supposed to tell us why he didn't. But from a completely practical standpoint TPTB are going to keep Jack around as long as RDA is interested and there's a role for him. And it seems to me that they never have a plan for Jack because there's always something new happening- a movie, a new series and now a delay in the next movie. He might very well stay on SGU for the duration of its run.

Plus, what does it mean to retire "soon"? I can tell you that when you've been working a very long time, "soon" can mean a couple of years.
    Last edited by VSS; 30 October 2009, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X