Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree the ships look great if only they'd get the scale right..

"right" as in consistent btw, since in the Pegasus Project you see the ship flying over, then you see it flying around where it's small, then you see the kawoosh where it's big again.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      It's not really fair comparing the city of Atlantis to the dragon. Atlantis would be much easier to create, a dragon is a moving, flying, fire breathing animation.
      I still could have gone with another guardian that would look better, and not necessarily be CGI, or perhaps another puzzle. And yeah you're right and atlantis was only done once for the whole series, you can't expect those people to keep making original animated, life-like models for each episode. But at least find ways around.

I guess if Sg-1 kept going another 2 seasons, we'd have a situation where they just show you a flying wireframe box and write "this is a dragon" on it.
      My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

No, the CGI has been great- I agree that the opening isn't the best- but the rest especially the CGI battle
        Spoiler:
        between Adria and Daniel were damn awesome...
        sigpic
        Being a shipper, is the only way to be.
        |My Fanfics|My Fanart|My Orig. Stories|

Comment

I remember the Camelot space "battle".It was one of the worst space battles I've ever seen.For example the Asgard ship.It's supposed to be one of the biggest ships in the show.But it was same sized as our ships.
          Stolen Kosovo
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
            I remember the Camelot space "battle".It was one of the worst space battles I've ever seen.For example the Asgard ship.It's supposed to be one of the biggest ships in the show.But it was same sized as our ships.
            Camelot was one of the greatest battles ever, and you're letting the fact that there were scaling issues destroy your enjoyment of it. Jeez, the nitpickers!

Now the dragon in Quest was complete crap. But rainmaker did their best. It is very difficult to CGI something living, and make it have movements, texture and coloring that look real. Living things are always really hard to do.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

The space battles are okayish, but still kind of old fashioned. As I said, a lot could be learned from BSG, thought it's a different show.

I just wish they'd experiment beyond standard camera angles and sets. The sets are simply starting to seem small, and cheap, particularly the village sets. They don't look like villages at all, they look more like... village centers with no real streets or anything, just set up for the arrival of Sg-1 so that they can encounter some prior. And the ligthing and colours are just... weak.
              My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I think the space battles are excellent for example 'Flesh and Blood'
                Spoiler:
                The Ori ship was chasing that ha'tak and suddenly an Ori beam shot down from above followed by the ship itself, apart from looking amazing was totally unexpected, you'd never imagine a ship of that size doing a manouver like that. Following this was the Ha'tak ramming the Ori ship, once again looking great, the camera angle inside the ha'tak flying down towards the Ori ship was great. Both tactics were new and unsuspected

Comment

Originally posted by Anjirika View Post
                  No, the CGI has been great- I agree that the opening isn't the best- but the rest especially the CGI battle
                  Spoiler:
                  between Adria and Daniel were damn awesome...
                  Well the opening sequence is obviously CG but I still like it but I agree on Adia and Daniel loved it.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                    I think the space battles are excellent for example 'Flesh and Blood'
                    Spoiler:
                    The Ori ship was chasing that ha'tak and suddenly an Ori beam shot down from above followed by the ship itself, apart from looking amazing was totally unexpected, you'd never imagine a ship of that size doing a manouver like that. Following this was the Ha'tak ramming the Ori ship, once again looking great, the camera angle inside the ha'tak flying down towards the Ori ship was great. Both tactics were new and unsuspected
                    I agree. I don'y get these nitpickers as I just don't understand it. The space battles, battle between Adria and Daniel, everything in camelot, Flesh and blood I mean com on it's great!

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
                      Even the Ori soldier outfit... it looks goofy.
                      Actually I quite like the Ori outfit... I like the whole Ori warddrobe that you see them wear. Much better than the Jaffa armor which is just clunky and ackward, and looks very impractical. Especially that steel hat they wear that is obviously plastic.

The Ori armor looks much better in my opinion...

Ace
                      "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
                        The space battles are okayish, but still kind of old fashioned. As I said, a lot could be learned from BSG, thought it's a different show.

I just wish they'd experiment beyond standard camera angles and sets. The sets are simply starting to seem small, and cheap, particularly the village sets. They don't look like villages at all, they look more like... village centers with no real streets or anything, just set up for the arrival of Sg-1 so that they can encounter some prior. And the ligthing and colours are just... weak.
                        The problem is that it's an established show with an established style. To suddenly up the cgi effects to the same style of bsg (which i must admit are fantastic) and use the same camera effects would just seem wrong.
                        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          No I disagree. The effects look better imo especially the sets. Look back at
                          "Torment of Tantalus" to see just how fake that set looked. I think the sets and CG look very good in generla. Sometimes it's hard to get things to look real especially fictional things like the dragon. I admit it looked CG but it was believable imo. I think over the years the effects have gotten better nad better and believe that is still the case.
                          I agree. The CG has gotten better. Theyve been using it a lot more as well.
                          Cream Cheese, the people's cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            Actually I quite like the Ori outfit... I like the whole Ori warddrobe that you see them wear. Much better than the Jaffa armor which is just clunky and ackward, and looks very impractical. Especially that steel hat they wear that is obviously plastic.

The Ori armor looks much better in my opinion...

Ace
                            Not only that but the metal skirt and armor plate in the early seasons was obviously plastic. They fixed that later on though. It's really noticable in COTG when tealc picks up a dead Jaffa's armor and drops it. You can tell the "clunk" was added in. Agree about the Ori Armor.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                              The problem is that it's an established show with an established style. To suddenly up the cgi effects to the same style of bsg (which i must admit are fantastic) and use the same camera effects would just seem wrong.
                              Good point. While I agree the effects on BSG are great the story has gone downhill. I've stopped watching and have no desire to come back after hearing who they are axing.

Comment

Originally posted by StayingOccupied View Post
                                I agree. The CG has gotten better. Theyve been using it a lot more as well.
                                Thanks and yeah the last two seasons they have used more CG.

Comment

Working...
                                X