This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravroz
    Oh hell no. I find the Ori storyline almost as interesting as the original line with the Goauld. they're a vastly superior enemy that threatens all being living in the MW. I rewatched the first part of season 9 and that was sweet! Plus, you gotta admit that the season 9 finale was pretty sweet!
    I totally agree with you; when I first saw the ori motherships i knew we were going to get a hell of alot good stories coming from these "false gods". So, I say we've done ten years so lets go with ten years more because SG-1 made scifi, IMHO.
    Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Wizard
      The Ori - utter tosh. It's the Ori story line that killed SG1

I am happy in someways for SG1 to end, and this is from a person who has never missed a show, and been watching since day one, but the last two years have been hard, Mitchell, the Ori, utterly changed SG1, which is bound to happen when new character come in, but the Ori, I am so pleased that they will be gone, I can not stand the Ori, I still watch because of Daniel, Carter, and Teal'c. But, it is not the same.

For that reason I love Atlantis, I like the concept, the changing stories, and the way in which not all stories are enemy based, much like SG1 was in the beginning.

Yes I will miss what I love about SG1, but I will have the DVD to watch, so I can say I can move on, atlantis will last another season or two, but like Joss Weldon I think SG1 and Atalntis will go the same way as his series did.
      ya i totaly see where you are coming from. i've been watching sg1 since season 3 and wow i really wasn't happy about the show's new direction. but ya even though i don't like the ori, i really wish they would give that arc a proper ending. rushing an ori defeat would make the show worse imo

Comment

Originally posted by Artha O'neill
        I totally agree with you; when I first saw the ori motherships i knew we were going to get a hell of alot good stories coming from these "false gods". So, I say we've done ten years so lets go with ten years more because SG-1 made scifi, IMHO.
        Not just your's as I feel the same way.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic Wizard
          The Ori - utter tosh. It's the Ori story line that killed SG1

I am happy in someways for SG1 to end, and this is from a person who has never missed a show, and been watching since day one, but the last two years have been hard, Mitchell, the Ori, utterly changed SG1, which is bound to happen when new character come in, but the Ori, I am so pleased that they will be gone, I can not stand the Ori, I still watch because of Daniel, Carter, and Teal'c. But, it is not the same.

For that reason I love Atlantis, I like the concept, the changing stories, and the way in which not all stories are enemy based, much like SG1 was in the beginning.

Yes I will miss what I love about SG1, but I will have the DVD to watch, so I can say I can move on, atlantis will last another season or two, but like Joss Weldon I think SG1 and Atalntis will go the same way as his series did.

no it was camshaft that killed. he tried to be fresh but was jack but from another POV. vala was the freshness camshaft was so not
          A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
            Not just your's as I feel the same way.
            ALRIGHT!!!, Yeah!!
            Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

I see all these SG-1 fans around the internet crying out, because SG-1 has been cancelled. Why? Did you all forget that we have the spin-off show Stargate: Atlantis that has been on for two and a half seasons?
              You know, I've always been completely mystified as to why some fans have this automatic assumption that simply because you watch and enjoy SG1, you have some kind of obligation to watch Atlantis, too.

I gave up on Atlantis within four weeks of S1. I enjoyed the pilot, but the rest of it never lived up to the initial promise for me. I didn't much like any of the characters - other than Rodney and Carson, who I adore, but even they weren't enough to keep me interested - I found the plots derivitive and hardly original for a show in its first season.

So, why on earth should I tune in each week and waste an hour of my precious time watching a show which bores me to tears, simply because it's from the same stable as SG1?

Sorry. This viewer chooses what to watch based on personal enjoyment of it. Not because of who makes it. Which seems a completely nonsensical way of planning your viewing schedule to me! I don't care who makes it. If it entertains me I'll tune in. If it doesn't, there are plenty of other shows out there to watch which do.

Simple as that.

And, btw, despite the ridiculous suggestion by some 'twue fans', this does not make me any less a fan of SG1 or the architect of some grand betrayal of that show.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                You know, I've always been completely mystified as to why some fans have this automatic assumption that simply because you watch and enjoy SG1, you have some kind of obligation to watch Atlantis, too.

I gave up on Atlantis within four weeks of S1. I enjoyed the pilot, but the rest of it never lived up to the initial promise for me. I didn't much like any of the characters - other than Rodney and Carson, who I adore, but even they weren't enough to keep me interested - I found the plots derivitive and hardly original for a show in its first season.

So, why on earth should I tune in each week and waste an hour of my precious time watching a show which bores me to tears, simply because it's from the same stable as SG1?

Sorry. This viewer chooses what to watch based on personal enjoyment of it. Not because of who makes it. Which seems a completely nonsensical way of planning your viewing schedule to me! I don't care who makes it. If it entertains me I'll tune in. If it doesn't, there are plenty of other shows out there to watch which do.

Simple as that.

And, btw, despite the ridiculous suggestion by some 'twue fans', this does not make me any less a fan of SG1 or the architect of some grand betrayal of that show.

Albion
                Well I agree that you should watch what you like. Sorry you don't enjoy SGA as I always have. I think it's just as good as SG-1 and don't think it is of less quality. May I ask what you don't like about Atlantis compared to SG-1?

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                  Well, considering how much you complain about how S9 and S10 aren't SG-1, maybe you should give Atlantis a try since it now has more of a feel of "classic" SG-1 than ever before.
                  sigpic
                  "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                  DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz
                    Oh hell no. I find the Ori storyline almost as interesting as the original line with the Goauld. they're a vastly superior enemy that threatens all being living in the MW. I rewatched the first part of season 9 and that was sweet! Plus, you gotta admit that the season 9 finale was pretty sweet!
                    I gotta agree.. Although I enjoyed Goauld storyline much much better, I'm still loving the Ori storyline (although, sometimes it gets a little too fantasy like in The Quest).

I guess I'm alone that the only reason why I watch Atlantis is because it follows SG-1.. I doubt next season I'll be waiting each week to tune into Atlantis (although if I catch it while flipping around, I will watch it).

I think it has to do with the characters. I only like Sheppard and Ronon on Atlantis.. Mcckay whines to much and Teyla doesn't do anything; Weir is way too wimpy as a leader.. (although Caldwell does sometimes make up for Weir)

I love Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c.. I like Cam and Vala is ok.

Comment

I will give you that it did seem a little too adventurish but it was still really sweet seeing Adria not able to use her powers. Maybe the Prior jamming device could be used on her.... As for Atlantis, I see nothing wrong with that show. It has all of the wonder feeling of exploring a whole galaxy that SG-1 did in the beginning. Maybe not the same feeling but very close. Plus with the new enemies it's quite a good show. Just a shame they can't continue in series though.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                        I see all these SG-1 fans around the internet crying out, because SG-1 has been cancelled. Why? Did you all forget that we have the spin-off show Stargate: Atlantis that has been on for two and a half seasons? Come on now... SG-1 has been on for ten years! I know Mitchell, Vala, Landry, and the Ori have given the show a frest start, but that doesn't change the fact that it has been on for ten years! Why not let the show end and move on with Stargate: Atlantis?

I am a huge SG-1 fan, but I'd rather move on with Atlantis than watch SG-1 turn into something totally unrecognisable.
                        So, what does that mean? If a show hits ten years, it's time to move on? Just because some fans don't like the changes to SG-1 since Season 8 doesn't mean others don't absolutely love it. The ratings for Season 9 were very good, and frankly, the ratings for SG-1 and Atlantis this year are practically identical.

The problem with moving on with Atlantis is that it's not as good as SG-1. I can't move on to a new show just because it has "Stargate" in the title. The show itself has to draw me in with it's storytelling and with it's characters. Sometimes the stories are good, most of the time, not so much. The characters on Atlantis need work too - especially Weir. She's too cold. With the exception of Sheppard, McKay, and the Irish guy, the others need some work to flesh out their characters. I mean it's season three already, and I still can't get into the show religiously.

The mid-season ender for Atlantis was so-so. I mean, they are defying orders to save Atlantis - a place - not earth, not humanity. At least when SG-1 disobeyed orders, it was usually something HUGE. An impending attack by the Gould, saving humanity, something. I thought the mid-season ender for SG-1 was excellent (minus the dragon, of course). The chemistry between the cast, the unanswered questions - all of it.

To answer your question, I can't let go of SG-1 because it's still a great show - even after ten years. Luckily for me, it doesn't sound like SG-1 is going away. I will try to keep watching Atlantis. Maybe there's something there that I'm not seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                          So, what does that mean? If a show hits ten years, it's time to move on? Just because some fans don't like the changes to SG-1 since Season 8 doesn't mean others don't absolutely love it. The ratings for Season 9 were very good, and frankly, the ratings for SG-1 and Atlantis this year are practically identical.

The problem with moving on with Atlantis is that it's not as good as SG-1. I can't move on to a new show just because it has "Stargate" in the title. The show itself has to draw me in with it's storytelling and with it's characters. Sometimes the stories are good, most of the time, not so much. The characters on Atlantis need work too - especially Weir. She's too cold. With the exception of Sheppard, McKay, and the Irish guy, the others need some work to flesh out their characters. I mean it's season three already, and I still can't get into the show religiously.

The mid-season ender for Atlantis was so-so. I mean, they are defying orders to save Atlantis - a place - not earth, not humanity. At least when SG-1 disobeyed orders, it was usually something HUGE. An impending attack by the Gould, saving humanity, something. I thought the mid-season ender for SG-1 was excellent (minus the dragon, of course). The chemistry between the cast, the unanswered questions - all of it.

To answer your question, I can't let go of SG-1 because it's still a great show - even after ten years. Luckily for me, it doesn't sound like SG-1 is going away. I will try to keep watching Atlantis. Maybe there's something there that I'm not seeing.
                          Great post and I agree with everything you said about SG-1 but I disagree on your thoughts of Atlantis. I think Atlantis is just as good as SG-1 and I am very sad SG-1 is cancelled but Rob, Brad and MGM are very optimistic about it continuing in some form so I am happy with that and the fact that Atlantis wasn't cancelled as well b/c I find it just as entertaining as SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
                            Great post and I agree with everything you said about SG-1 but I disagree on your thoughts of Atlantis. I think Atlantis is just as good as SG-1 and I am very sad SG-1 is cancelled but Rob, Brad and MGM are very optimistic about it continuing in some form so I am happy with that and the fact that Atlantis wasn't cancelled as well b/c I find it just as entertaining as SG-1.
                            Ya i agree. i like sg1 more than sga but sga is not a bad show by any means. it is different yes, but i think the quality is about the same.

Comment

Working...
                            X