S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
    Jackie I'm not following. The only tension I saw was between Daniel and Vala. I never saw great chemistry. I saw great chemistry between Sam Jack Daniel and Teal'c from the get go. I though welcoming Mitchell as a hero was a huge mistake and Sam Daniel and Teal'c should have had more trouble adjusting to Mitchell. Especially after Jack.
    I suppose it's in the eye of the beholder. I saw, what looked like a half hearted attempt to make Mitchell less accepted by Teal'c whom wanted to hit him, Sam not being comfortable when Vala hugged her, ect.

What I saw with D/V was not tension or even sexual tension (which is what tptb tried to make) but two little kids picking on each other. They were like siblings who didn't get along. When they ended up together in Unending, I was just about to barf. Ewww, kissing cousins.

Tension is related through body language as well as lines. Jack and Daniel did have tension, great chemistry and wonderful timing. I recall RDA stating MS was one of the few people he had that kind of timing with.

To me, season 9 and 10 was very forced and roughly acted. Sam was not herself, Teal'c seemed even less than normal. Daniel seemed meaner, Mitchell was wide eyed one ep and knew it all the next. Vala...one of the most inconsistent characters tptb had. She swings from light hearted kid to major flirt, to serious, to scarred silly,...the actress did a good job of pulling off the emotions but a little consistency with Vala could have gone a long way.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Jackie I'm not following. The only tension I saw was between Daniel and Vala. I never saw great chemistry. I saw great chemistry between Sam Jack Daniel and Teal'c from the get go. I though welcoming Mitchell as a hero was a huge mistake and Sam Daniel and Teal'c should have had more trouble adjusting to Mitchell. Especially after Jack.
      By that time they'd had a year without Jack *really* on/leading the team. They should have had more trouble (more than eye-rolls, but at least there was that) with Gung-Ho Boi "leading" them into needlessly dangerous situations because 'that's what SG-1 does'. <<smack upside the head>>

ETA: Nice summation in above post, Jackie.

suse
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Great point about Teal'c and Daniel/Vala. I forgot since I stopped watching half way into Season 9. I was most upset about TPTB's handling of Sam. I would have liked seeing Sam played with a little of an edge and letting Mitchell have it. I wonder if AT would have liked the change. I think Daniel should have given Mitchell a hard time as well since Daniel questioned Jack on pretty much everything.

Comment

Great point about Teal'c and Daniel/Vala. I forgot since I stopped watching half way into Season 9. I was most upset about TPTB's handling of Sam. I would have liked seeing Sam played with a little of an edge and letting Mitchell have it. I wonder if AT would have liked the change. I think Daniel should have given Mitchell a hard time as well since Daniel questioned Jack on pretty much everything.
          And then this clown comes in (without training, thought Daniel might not have a problem with that - at least til they run into a sticky situation ) and leads people who are in every way his superiors in training and/or experience?

suse
          sigpic
          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

It's interesting how Daniel spoke up when Makepeace took over SG-1 when everyone though Jack was bad in shades of Grey. When Sam came back in Season 9 Daniel never said Sam should be in charge of SG-1. Another example of how the show missed RDA and Gekko leadership.

Comment

what i saw with daniel and vala was daniel's actor seeming to go OTT to defuse all that 'daniel is jack's lover' stuff and vala was sacrificed to pump up action jackson's ego. she existed mostly to 'studify' daniel
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The Daniel character really did seem different and not for the better. IMO the Daniel character is never suppose to be action Jackson. I still like James Spaders Daniel the best.

Comment

The Daniel character really did seem different and not for the better. IMO the Daniel character is never suppose to be action Jackson. I still like James Spaders Daniel the best.
                  I think Shanks got tired of playing Mr. Nice Guy. But Action Jackson was too much.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I can understand that. I just cannot see Daniel as mister action. Daniel was always the calm hand of SG-1.

Comment

action jackson was a cliche

stereotypical action hewo overload

I know they were trying to studly up the character, or that's how it seemed, but really, masculinity doesn't not go hand inhand with mean brutishness.

it was kinda sad in a way

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        action jackson was a cliche

stereotypical action hewo overload

I know they were trying to studly up the character, or that's how it seemed, but really, masculinity doesn't not go hand inhand with mean brutishness.

it was kinda sad in a way
                        Welcome to S9/S10.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

it's just....how neanderthal it all is.

female in thy place, subordinate to male, to be 'manly' one must be brutish and rough, sarcastic and cold.

one must talk down to others and 'humor' them

women are only good as arm candy for the boys, they're only 'desirable' if thier assets are on display. life is one huge cliche and any guy can do whatever he wants if he's cute enough

it's just....it's like a 13 year old fantasy of how the world 'should' be

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            it's just....how neanderthal it all is.

female in thy place, subordinate to male, to be 'manly' one must be brutish and rough, sarcastic and cold.

one must talk down to others and 'humor' them

women are only good as arm candy for the boys, they're only 'desirable' if thier assets are on display. life is one huge cliche and any guy can do whatever he wants if he's cute enough

it's just....it's like a 13 year old fantasy of how the world 'should' be
                            It’s so freaking annoying because Daniel WAS COOL. I don’t think there were any lack of women drooling over him. I would say that Action Jackson turns more women off then Daniel Jackson ever did even if a few thought he "played on the other team". Action Jackson is actually LESS manly and more like a spoiled child. Of course he was then paired off with another spoiled child. I saw no adult relationship between them. I did see a white trashy one of them is going to jail (probably Daniel) relationship.

Mitchell was pure Mary Sue and then quickly forgotten when the show runner realized he could live vicariously through Action Jackson instead and didn’t need no stinking Mitchell.... Well except he did, because if Carter was running the show then Daniel and Vala really couldn’t get away with looking like infants unless they radically changed Carter too, and I hope AT (and Brad Write) would have had a problem with that. So RCC needed to keep a child in charge of the other children and then mitigate the remaining adults Carter/Teal'c/Kill Jacob and Thor and emasculate Bra’ Tec....... Of course the child leading himself reported to even a bigger child in ......well looky there I cant even remember Bridges characters name at the moment.... not like it matters you get the point.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

daniel was the kind of guy you'd want to take home, Action Jackson reminds me of my boss...who suffers from perpetual 'short man syndrome'...must prove how 'good' i am by throwing my weight around and thinks that fear = respect.

in fact, it's just the opposite. what i feel isn't respect, it's contempt

sigpic

Comment

When Gekko left tptb shoved Daniel into a closet and replaced him with an impostor...anubis.

Season 9 was just horrific, no closer for Jack. Hardly even mentioned him. Sam, wallpapered. Teal'c...coat rack with fist. Mitchell...worse Marty Stue evah! Daniel turned into Action Jackson. Instead of defusing the Bori and using his wits he turned into the boy who cried wolf. "The Ori are coming...I'm scared."

Come season 10...it really didn't improve with Vala. Sam, still wallpapered but wall papered with Mitchell now. Teal'c...coat rack with fist and glare. Vala...Vally girl for Daniel's "manly" arm. I kept waiting for the line.."Ya know..." to be revealed with a flick of the wrist. Daniel...still Action Jackson but now had Vala to play with...so less Bori.

It's interesting how Daniel spoke up when Makepeace took over SG-1 when everyone though Jack was bad in shades of Grey. When Sam came back in Season 9 Daniel never said Sam should be in charge of SG-1. Another example of how the show missed RDA and Gekko leadership.
                                One would think Daniel would have at least took Sam aside and asked how she felt about it. One would also think he would want to talk to her about Jack moving away...about the dynamics of the team...what she did when she was away. Nope, just...glad you're back, Sam.

Nothing, nearly no scenes at all between them. I would expect a scene with Daniel, Sam and Teal'c all sitting in Daniel or Sam's office discussing the changes. How they felt about having a new guy on the team, about coming back to the SGC.

Daniel missed Atlantis because of Vala...shouldn't Sam have been asking him what went wrong?"

Loved Spader's Daniel. Liked early Daniel that MS did...which was a spader rip off by admittance.
                                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Working...
                                X