S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    i remember rob cooper saying that *that* fan contingent would be satisfied (not his exact words)... it ended up being close team fans.... and yes, we got to see the team being close... WRONG team!

even though i thought 'unending' was well done... it was the wrong team for me.

sally
    Exactly. Yeah it involves the "team" but what good is it if they're hardly interacting as one?

I was leafing through the June issue of SciFi magazine, where they have this feature on SG-1 looking back on ten years of the show. There are little interview snippets from RDA, AT, MS and CJ, as well as from TPTB. I had to laugh because Coop called Unending "a final love letter to the fans." Maybe to one particular group of fans but certainly not to all.

I watched it once and do not plan to ever watch it again. I didn't feel like I'd received a "love letter."

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
      Exactly. Yeah it involves the "team" but what good is it if they're hardly interacting as one?

I was leafing through the June issue of SciFi magazine, where they have this feature on SG-1 looking back on ten years of the show. There are little interview snippets from RDA, AT, MS and CJ, as well as from TPTB. I had to laugh because Coop called Unending "a final love letter to the fans." Maybe to one particular group of fans but certainly not to all.

I watched it once and do not plan to ever watch it again. I didn't feel like I'd received a "love letter."
      More like the final "Dear John" letter. Although from all the other letters they wrote you would have had to have been blind to miss it coming. Although somehow they still caught me offgaurd with the
      Spoiler:
      asgard
      stuff.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        i remember rob cooper saying that *that* fan contingent would be satisfied (not his exact words)... it ended up being close team fans.... and yes, we got to see the team being close... WRONG team!

even though i thought 'unending' was well done... it was the wrong team for me.

sally
        Isn't it utterly pathetic that after two years, they had to resort to such an absurdly contrived situation to force the "team" to bond? Compare the interactions of the latest SG-1 to Sam, Jack, Teal'c and Daniel after two years - heck, after one year. They were a family. We didn't need to see them go on bonding trips to Jack's mysteriously relocated cabin to know this.

NewSG-1 is a group of colleagues who wear the same patch and, in the end, since their isolation and forced bonding never happened to anyone except Teal'c, it's worthless.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
          Extremely Off Topic!

Bragging Rights.

She DID IT!

Magna Cum Laude-thank you very much!
          Woo-hoo... Congrats!!!! (would green ya but not able to atm)

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            Isn't it utterly pathetic that after two years, they had to resort to such an absurdly contrived situation to force the "team" to bond? Compare the interactions of the latest SG-1 to Sam, Jack, Teal'c and Daniel after two years - heck, after one year. They were a family. We didn't need to see them go on bonding trips to Jack's mysteriously relocated cabin to know this.

NewSG-1 is a group of colleagues who wear the same patch and, in the end, since their isolation and forced bonding never happened to anyone except Teal'c, it's worthless.
            So true. I can remember for example Jack telling Teal'c "you're part of this family" way back in S1 - and you just knew it was true by the way he interacted with them... how everyone interacted with each other.

Comment

unending ws more of a 'stuff you' to the fans than any love letter.

it was Moebius with a twist, but without the heart and, imho, 38 minutes of cheap filler bottle episode to set up one plot device for AoT

Spoiler:
              thor's goodies...which i'm willing to bet will be a major plot point in coop's next masterpiece
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yep, sounds about right to me.

Comment

Well hopefully Brad's movie Continum (?) will

Spoiler:
                  reset everything including the asgard debacle
                  sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post

the closest i've ever felt 'this' group being a team was in 'unending'. but, with rob saying it was a love letter to the fans... no, it wasn't. it was HIS love of THIS team. ratings have shown that fans aren't loving this incarnation of the show. s10 being better than 9 or not, it still isn't the love affair we had with sam, jack, teal'c, and daniel for 8 seasons. at least for me.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

well, his love letter might have been to the Vaniel fans...although i think unending only proves that he's gonna screw with them like he has the sam/jack shippers

sigpic

Comment

I was watching the tribute to the US veterans that was televised from Washington, D.C. It was touching. Apropos of nothing I thought about Mitchell. And how badly many of his decisions (since joining SG-1) reflected on the military. As far as I can tell the piloting was fine. Not MOH-worthy, but fine. Can you imagine? "I'm having a bad day, so I'm going to disobey the mission leader's orders so I can blow off some steam. Even though I've never been to the place I'm gonna bust into before. And immediately had to to rescued because I tried to go in without backup." Oy.

suse
                        embarrased even though Mitchell is just a character
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

yeah well, that's cause realistic military behaviour is simply no fun at all

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            well, his love letter might have been to the Vaniel fans...although i think unending only proves that he's gonna screw with them like he has the sam/jack shippers
                            Or else decide that since they've showed a Vaniel pairing - even if it was erased in both their minds - they don't need to bother with it in the movies.

*Please let that be the case. PLEASE!*

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              yeah well, that's cause realistic military behaviour is simply no fun at all
                              It can't possibly be less fun than Cam's hewoic antics.

Comment

somehow i doubt that'll be the case for AoT

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X