S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ben and claudia are innocent - or relatively so - victims in all this

if there was a 'push the newbies' directive from skiffy, then the blame for the unevenness rests on a forced focus adn a lack of writing skill to make it work

ben and claudia are just diong thier jobs and saying lines that are put into thier mouths

blaming them is unfair. the blame rests on skiffy and the writers
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

if there was a 'push the newbies' directive from skiffy, then the blame for the unevenness rests on a forced focus adn a lack of writing skill to make it work

ben and claudia are just diong thier jobs and saying lines that are put into thier mouths

Amen Sister! I was actually looking forward to Ben showing up-and boy I wish that he played Mitchell a little more like John-much better than the fool he is playing now-and a little Aeryn in Claudia's character would have been nice too.

I have to tell you that those two actors -they played the elevator game with the boys from bridge and lost.
      Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

i was not looking forward to vala because i did not like her character in pu (and i know the writers well enough to know that thier attitudes rest in the pre-pubescent boy level) but i was looking forward to cam.

the show needed someone. with at gone, shanks and judge could not have carried 5 eps on thier own. neither of them has a strong enough story to go on for that long.

and, in my opinion, the show's needed a fifth teammember since s7. just think of how much less noticible rda's absences would have been had they had a 5th team member to interact with.

for me, it's not that cam and vala were added, it's how. ti's the ham fisted hard sell. it's screwing the existing charcters over to acomodate the two golden children.

it's hearing that the old actors exist in a state of 'we're trying to make the show able to stand on its own, thus be less actor focused' while ben and claudia seem exempt from that. It's seeing amanda being treated like an outsider because she dared to inconvenience them by getting pregnant while claudia's been praised. yOu see such a disparity of treatment on behalf of tptb towards the 'baggage' of the old actors and it - as a fan of the old actors - makes your hackles rise.

and it makes you even more cynical about all the spin and polish they toss on the show.

then you hear commetns calling anyone that doesnt' like the 'new' show stupid and be told taht there's nothing wrong with the show, we jsut have issues.

that attitude is precisely why i don't give a fig about 'saving' the show

first of all i know it's a moot point. second of all, dude, these writers/show staff have told me to go stuff myself for a yaer and a half because i wouldn't fawn praise all over them. i sure as hell aren't gonna waste my time trying to save the jobs of some folks that have told me off. y'all have dismissed me and my opinion for years now you want me to work to save your job so that you can continue to insult me????? yeah, right. and if you believe that i have some prime beach front property just down the street to sell ya

the writers' egos and hubris killed the show. and the saddest part is that the writers will just take thier 'talents' over to atlantis while the actors are the victims of the writers attitude and lack of skill. the actors are the ones that are gonna be looking for work

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
          feh! don't they know that all they need are "nintendos"? it goes through all kinds of matter-no matter how dense.
          LOL If I was registered there I'd set up a "get yer nintendos here" thread... they probably wouldn't understand what I was talking about though. Seems a lot of people there have only seen the very recent seasons...

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis15 View Post
            wut i dont like about season 10 is the way that vala has been as a charater. and the way that mitchal leads the team and does wut he wants and his stupid plans. Jack would ask sam, Daniel, and Teal'c wut to do, and then Jack would follow their plan.
            Yep - I was just watching Prisoners the other day and Jack was asking them all about their options and ideas they had for trying to get home. Miss those days...

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
              I agree it was not all BB and CB fault.It all comes down to TPTB and how the Mitchell and Vala character her introduced and how they are being written.I think both characters never really recovered from the their first appearances.I did think it was too risky to bring in CB and BB after what happened with Farscape and SG-1 being a different Show.I just did not think BB and CB would fit into the Show easily.CB and BB were the stars of Farscape and they were brought into a long time successful show that was not build around one or two stars.You bring in a character that is familar to SG-1 and it softens the blow of losing the Jack character and the Show still feels like SG-1.Bringing in The Mitchell and Vala characters was a big shock to the SG-1 Fans already trying to get use to no more Jack.
              Instead of writing the new characters to fit SG-1 then wrote the show to fit the new characters.

I also agree with your previous post, that bringing in Farscape actors brought too much tension to the fan base. Like we needed more. Farscape fans vs Sg-1 fans. The Farscape fans found their two favs front and center while the Sg-1 fans found their characters holding up the background. Sam was reassigned so Mitchell could take charge. Even though Vala was a filler character until Sam got back, she got maxium air time.

This isn't the first time TPTB have played a fan base against another, but this time the numbers in the fan bases were much larger and the stakes were much higher. The classic fans who couldn't stomach the new and improved SG-1 left and left in large numbers. I guess what amazes me is that TPTB didn't seem to care.

What irks me the most is being blamed for the demise of SG-1 by fans who just joined SG-1 in S9 because of certain actors and would leave in minute if those actors were no longer on the show. These are the fans that TPTB are writing for now. They aren't loyal to the show, they are only loyal to the actors that were brought in.
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Judging from skiffys insistance on having Claudia back for the last 2 eps of S9 I'd say there was at least some 'push to the newbies' going on. Too bad TPTB didn'y push back.

JMS (creator/Great Maker of Babylon 5) was forced to add a dashing pilot. He did, then killef him off because he was unnecessary and 'not working'. There are ways around everything. Good writing is one of them.

Of course TPTB were salivating over Ben ridiculously much as they had already chased him for the roles of Sheperd and Pete.

And I still think Claudias performance of "cheeky, fun" Vala was taken with a frat boy excitement with the departure of sensibility when RDA left as EP. OTT anyone?

Though I agree the actors were only acting what was written (and directed).

Suse

sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                  Instead of writing the new characters to fit SG-1 then wrote the show to fit the new characters.

I also agree with your previous post, that bringing in Farscape actors brought too much tension to the fan base. Like we needed more. Farscape fans vs Sg-1 fans. The Farscape fans found their two favs front and center while the Sg-1 fans found their characters holding up the background. Sam was reassigned so Mitchell could take charge. Even though Vala was a filler character until Sam got back, she got maxium air time.

This isn't the first time TPTB have played a fan base against another, but this time the numbers in the fan bases were much larger and the stakes were much higher. The classic fans who couldn't stomach the new and improved SG-1 left and left in large numbers. I guess what amazes me is that TPTB didn't seem to care.

What irks me the most is being blamed for the demise of SG-1 by fans who just joined SG-1 in S9 because of certain actors and would leave in minute if those actors were no longer on the show. These are the fans that TPTB are writing for now. They aren't loyal to the show, they are only loyal to the actors that were brought in.
                  Blame is like manure-people like to spread it around.

I have not understood what those guys in Vancouver or even at Scifi were thinking when they took the route they did.

I have not ever seen a fan base that was so cavalierly ignored or treated. The fan base is the lifeblood of any show and if you open up an artery and bleed out-you're dead. And they went ahead and did it and then were suprised that people were yelling-you're bleeding, you're bleeding and even more surprised to find they died.

Makes you wonder if anybody is ever going to trust anything they put out again. Atlantis is really on the edge right now-it is their chance at redemption-they screw Atlantis (and in my not so humble opinion they are) then they can forget about any other series-

I'm just saying...
                  Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post

It is irksome. But at the same time it's amusing.

And this is where splitting the season the way they do shows it's flaws. 4 months after they start filming the show it begins to air. After 10 eps they stop and only begin airing again after the season had wrapped. Indeed some of the old seasons new eps air after the next season starts filming. There is no time to change anything. While they tweaked the characters to be less blatently offensive in S10 they didn't/couldn't change the Bori Admitting they were wrong causes them to lose face and really, while those of us who don't like the direction would like the acknowledgement, would it gain them any of the viewers that left in disgust? <sigh> at TPTB, not anyone here

Suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I'm just not sure having BB and CB working together soo soon after Farscape in another SciFi Show was the best move.Their may have been expectations from the CB and BB Fans that CB and BB would be the stars of SG-1 and it would be like farscape again.I'm sure many SG-1 Fans were worried BB and CB would take over.I'm not blaming CB and BB.They have a right to work it's just the chemistry was going to be tricky to fit these two new actors into a long running Show.I just think it was safer to pick a Jonas or Hailey type of character.It gives the impression you are not even trying to replace RDA and it forces TPTB to make sure you keep the show built around the 4 SG-1 characters.When you have CB and BB you have the temptation to branch out and not have the show written around the 4 characters.You want to try new things with the new cast and it changes what the Show is about.SG-1 had a simple formula that worked and was not setup for such drastic changes.

Comment

There's a new article with Jow Mallozzi at www.eclipsemagaizine.com

I have but one thing to say:

Bwahahahahahaha!

Clueless, I tell you. C-L-U-E-L-E-S-S.

suse
                        Last edited by suse; 17 October 2006, 06:18 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I'm just not sure having BB and CB working together soo soon after Farscape in another SciFi Show was the best move.Their may have been expectations from the CB and BB Fans that CB and BB would be the stars of SG-1 and it would be like farscape again.I'm sure many SG-1 Fans were worried BB and CB would take over.I'm not blaming CB and BB.They have a right to work it's just the chemistry was going to be tricky to fit these two new actors into a long running Show.I just think it was safer to pick a Jonas or Hailey type of character.It gives the impression you are not even trying to replace RDA and it forces TPTB to make sure you keep the show built around the 4 SG-1 characters.When you have CB and BB you have the temptation to branch out and not have the show written around the 4 characters.You want to try new things with the new cast and it changes what the Show is about.SG-1 had a simple formula that worked and was not setup for such drastic changes.
                          The problem is I think they are being written as the stars. Certainly Ben is as "our hero" "The new leading man" (direct quotes) and who has the most screen time? Answer: Pigtail girl Certainly not Chris or Amanda. Amanda hasn't had a Carter story since she's been back in Beachhead. (For some reason TPTB think the production time taken to make the
                          Spoiler:
                          18 Carters
                          scene in Ripple Effect makes it a Carter ep. Er, not!) And poor Teal'c is only around
                          Spoiler:
                          to be the punching bag. Though I've heard rumors that both are getting a story in the second half of S10.

Daniel is the only one of Classic SG-1 that has a story. And a bad one it is. Half of Vaniel. I flat out don't like this Daniel.

Suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Athena?
                            ATHENA?!

Comment

I could be wrong but IMO most of the people who Love S9 and S10 are big CB and BB Fans.
                              I don't think so. In my observation, a lot of the Farscape contingent feels about the same about SG-1 itself now as they did before BB and CB came on it. Complaints that the material isn't up to what the actors are capable of are common. You have to go to Farscape-related forums to read them. I would say they may "like" S9 and S10 or find it "watchable" or "not bad", but "love" is a strong word. I don't see that word used by a a lot of Farscape fans to apply to SG-1.

Plus, I don't think it is BB/CB fans giving the episodes "9's" and "10's" every week in the Gateworld polls. Those appear to be longtime SG-1 fans.

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                                Makes you wonder if anybody is ever going to trust anything they put out again. Atlantis is really on the edge right now-it is their chance at redemption-they screw Atlantis (and in my not so humble opinion they are) then they can forget about any other series-

I'm just saying...
                                i won't. i do find the charcters in atlantis severely lacking. it seems that if they can't play up teh shep/mckay Martin and Lewis act, they don't give a damn about anything else.

weir is a joke and used to faciliate shep's rogueishness whiel teyla is there to fawn all over shep and be the token 'my people know of a.....' girl (much like teal'c has been)

the show is enjoyable and fun and seems to have better writing than sg1, but the characters suck. i'm not attached to them in any way, any of them could get killed off and i wouldn't shed a tear.

and, given how tptb have treated fans recently, i'm not gonna get emotionally vested in these characters. why bother?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X