S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    i too missed different pairings. I loved it when vala got to talk to the others. I liked the side of her we saw with teal'c or sam and i regret that we only got snippits of it.
    Vala and Tomin were fantastic together in "Lines in the Sand". Their connection felt far more real than all the Vaniel Coop could force down our throats. Likewise with Sam, and with Teal'c. There wasn't much, but what there was felt genuine - a tribute to the talents of all four actors.

cam being everyone's best buddy adn indulged like a favorite little brother is - to me - a symptom of 'oh, man, we know he won't be well received so let's make sure all the characters love him, then the viewers will too'
    For this viewer, it was a case of "Why are they indulging that idiot?"

It came across as the other characters liking Mitchell as a person, but not bothering to call him on his stupidity because they knew there was no point. He wasn't going to improve, so they worked around him as best they could.

both cameron and vala had tremendous potential. but they were written in the corner to faciliate the super duper adventures of Jackson the magnificent and never got out
    Is anyone else wishing that Coop had made that spin-off and left Stargate: SG-1 in the hands of someone who didn't want to make a new show and was okay with treating an established show like - Shock! Horror! Blasphemy! - an established show?

Obviously, "The Super Duper Adventures of Jackson the Magnificent" would have been the suckiest show that ever sucked, but since I wouldn't be watching it, I wouldn't care.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post

I've heard there are fanfics that go deeper into Vala's past, especially as a goa'uld host, and attempt to show how she got to where she is now. Not that I've really read many, but I've heard they did a much better job with her backstory than has even been attempted on screen. I can even bet that at least one person has tried to explore a connection between Sam and Vala as former hosts (Vala to Qetesh, Sam to Jolinar).
      I read nearly every pairing for both Sam and Daniel, and there have been some spectacular femmeslash and gen stories between Sam and Vala. Cool interaction and really getting into their histories. Same with Daniel and Vala. You spend time reading these, and you wonder why couldn't the writers go anywhere near that sort of thing? Not femmeslash, obviously, but rather than two girls a shoppin that we had, how both a real moment between two women with a cruddy past involving host issues?

And I still don't understand why they wrote Daniel so friggin grouchy. It's like he had a permanent wedgie, and I don't like feeling that way about my second favorite character. And I don't blame the actor for it either. I saw the one behind the scenes vid of Bad Guys where the director was telling MS to shout and holler at the two women that were squealing. Why did they feel the need to direct him in a way as to make him sound like his undies were chafing?
      Last edited by heliosphere; 04 December 2007, 01:13 PM.
      sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Just about all of season 10 was "The Super Duper Adventures of Dr. Jackson" with his trusty side kick, Vala. All he needed was some tights and a cape.

Maybe he was wearing tights and that was causing his chaffing?

Ad run on: "By day Daniel Jackson is a mild mannered archaeologist who spends all his time reading books but by night he goes underground to a secret hideout that very few 'average' people know about. He changes into his government issued uniform and with the aid of his trusty side kick, Vala-- with the use of a top secret device called a Stargate, Dr. Jackson and his trusty sidekick take on villains in the known universe and beyond."
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

lolol

tIIIIIIght tights
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            Just about all of season 10 was "The Super Duper Adventures of Dr. Jackson" with his trusty side kick, Vala. All he needed was some tights and a cape.

Maybe he was wearing tights and that was causing his chaffing?

Ad run on: "By day Daniel Jackson is a mild mannered archaeologist who spends all his time reading books but by night he goes underground to a secret hideout that very few 'average' people know about. He changes into his government issued uniform and with the aid of his trusty side kick, Vala-- with the use of a top secret device called a Stargate, Dr. Jackson and his trusty sidekick take on villains in the known universe and beyond."
            Don't you mean trusty Starship or secret ancient device.
            Stargate was as wallpappered as Carter and Teal'c.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

true. that round spinny thing was relegated to the background as well

sigpic

Comment

true. that round spinny thing was relegated to the background as well
                My feeling is that this was no longer a Stargate series. It had morphed into a Star Trek type series. What made Stargate series unique was that the team acomplished so much without the neat gadgets and ships. It was about people from our time with our technology exploring other planets and alien cultures with the help of one alien device, the Stargate.
                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

and instead it's like things are being written solely to accomodate the plot device of the week

what i liked about 'classic' stargate was taht we were the 'little humans that could' that would solve the universe's problems with our brains and ingenuity.

now? now we're just another in a long line of races endlessly searching for the next cool gizmo to solve all our problems for us.

sigpic

Comment

and instead it's like things are being written solely to accomodate the plot device of the week

what i liked about 'classic' stargate was taht we were the 'little humans that could' that would solve the universe's problems with our brains and ingenuity.

now? now we're just another in a long line of races endlessly searching for the next cool gizmo to solve all our problems for us.
                    man is that statement ever true....TPTB have continued that philosophy into SGA too.

Season's 9 and 10 were riddle with devices--not to make the story work but to make time for their favorite parings.

The pairings were deliberate and thought out. Mitchell wasn't welcomed as well as TPTB thought in season 9. TPTB loved Vaniel and thought the world of the pairing. (nothing against ms or cb).

The over the top, in your face "comedy" the pairing brought was what TPTB rested the whole show on.

Everyone else was pushed aside for the sake of a comedy act.

what minimal plot there was turned into a huge series of plot devices to make their comedy work.

Star Trek remained true to thier show and ship we the back drop. Imagine star trek suddenly finding a stargate like object and then moving the show from the ship to a secret hideout and making spock and a native girl into a comedy act. *shivers*

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                      man is that statement ever true....TPTB have continued that philosophy into SGA too.

Season's 9 and 10 were riddle with devices--not to make the story work but to make time for their favorite parings.

The pairings were deliberate and thought out. Mitchell wasn't welcomed as well as TPTB thought in season 9. TPTB loved Vaniel and thought the world of the pairing. (nothing against ms or cb).

The over the top, in your face "comedy" the pairing brought was what TPTB rested the whole show on.

Everyone else was pushed aside for the sake of a comedy act.

what minimal plot there was turned into a huge series of plot devices to make their comedy work.

Star Trek remained true to thier show and ship we the back drop. Imagine star trek suddenly finding a stargate like object and then moving the show from the ship to a secret hideout and making spock and a native girl into a comedy act. *shivers*

No, I think in order to have the comedy work, it would have to be Scotty, which would give the phrase..

I'm giving her all that I got Captain

a whole new meaning
                      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Yes, it definitely became SG-1: Intergalactic Treasure Hunters.

Come to think of it, Vala's background probably made her ideally suited for that team - or at least it would have if she had actually been a competent con artist.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          No, I think in order to have the comedy work, it would have to be Scotty, which would give the phrase..

I'm giving her all that I got Captain

a whole new meaning
                          OMG...LMAO.

that should be on one of those x rated birthday cards you find in certain stores.

Comment

Here's my issue with Vala and Cooper and seasons 9-10 (what little I saw of 'em anyway plus what I read and heard).

Vala in PU (best name for an episode eva! BTW) was at least competent, she took over the freakin' ship for cryin' out loud, she must have had a brain and been intelligent enough to plan that and execute, etc. Then we have her morphed into some sort of immature 12 year old with pig-tails that takes a blow-dryer, a BLOW-DRYER for cripes sake!! on a mission, if that is not the most incredibly stupid and idiotic transformation in any one character (aside from Daniel becoming Action Jackson) than I don't know what is. Cooper's hand and his insanly immature brand of "fun" for Vala was so twisted and udderly ridiculous compared to what she was in PU and could have been in 9-10 that it truly makes one wonder what the people in charge were smokin'.

Comment

Originally posted by BPC View Post
                              Here's my issue with Vala and Cooper and seasons 9-10 (what little I saw of 'em anyway plus what I read and heard).

Vala in PU (best name for an episode eva! BTW) was at least competent, she took over the freakin' ship for cryin' out loud, she must have had a brain and been intelligent enough to plan that and execute, etc. Then we have her morphed into some sort of immature 12 year old with pig-tails that takes a blow-dryer, a BLOW-DRYER for cripes sake!! on a mission, if that is not the most incredibly stupid and idiotic transformation in any one character (aside from Daniel becoming Action Jackson) than I don't know what is. Cooper's hand and his insanly immature brand of "fun" for Vala was so twisted and udderly ridiculous compared to what she was in PU and could have been in 9-10 that it truly makes one wonder what the people in charge were smokin'.
                              Oh my god, YES! I absolutely agree with this. Because, seriously, a hair dryer for god sakes!?! WTF? I love Vala entirely, but I agree with much of what you said, I personally would have loved to see more the PU Vala than any other. Sure I later enjoyed the bits of comedy she added, because honestly some of the stuff they gave her wasn't all bad, but the moment with the hair dryer was really one of those What The Hell Where They Even Going With That moments for me with her character. Seriously almost anything else would have better, a sparky water bottle, a magazine, a book, anything, but a hair dryer. Really? Just
                              banner by Stef

Comment

Originally posted by isabelqc View Post
                                Oh my god, YES! I absolutely agree with this. Because, seriously, a hair dryer for god sakes!?! WTF?
                                See they thought it was *funny.* Sacrificing character for what they think is a laugh. Vala never would have survived on the run etc if she was dopey enough to weigh herself down with non-essentials like that. Primping at the base maybe, not on a mission.

Comment

Working...
                                X