No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh mang. That is incredibly harsh. SG-1, never even approached the depths of idiocy, racism and sheer... blandness of Voyager or Enterprise. It may have been trying hard to go in that direction but it never came close to being modern Star Trek.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
      You have more faith in TPTB than I have. Isn't this new show supposed to have a genius that eclipses even McKay and Carter?
      I'm not sure if he eclipses McKay and Carter, but I think he is on par with them. What I meant is I hope TPTB have realised that one character can't always save the day using Ancient tech he perfected in 5 minutes. I hope there is a mixture of brains and brawn that we saw in SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
        so Alan, Greg, Evenstar, what do you think of SG-1 Season 10?
        It was basically a continuation of Season 9 so I don't rate them at all. What lets the seasons down for me are:
        • Mitchell
        • Vala
        • Landry
        • SG-1
        • The Ori storyline
        • The writing
        • The humour

There were just some decisions made by TPTB across Seasons 9 and 10 that I feel could have been handled in a far, far better, more realistic, and more respectful way than what I saw on-screen.

I've said this before and I'll say it again...I am above and beyond ecstatic that there's only a minor 40 episodes of what I've listed to put up with whilst the far more superior first 8 seasons constitute a fantastic 170-odd episodes of enjoyment.

- the *definitive* Stargate SG-1!

Regarding the third movie and Stargate: Continuum -
        Spoiler:
        I am so happy that Movie III will mainly feature the original 4 cast members of Stargate SG-1. I know that Claudia Black hasn't been asked back and Ben Browder, last I heard, wasn't sure what was happening and he was concentrating in other areas of his career (I'll take those as hopeful signs of his non-involvement) because, as much as Stargate: Continuum felt like a return to the days of Seasons 1 - 8, it still suffered from problems...the main one for me being that Mitchell's life in the altered time-line was explored and, once more, HE saved the day. Again. "SG-ME" indeed.

Hopefully TPTB won't make the same mistakes with Movie III. Brad Wright sounds like he's realised what a gift he has with Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill. And Rick himself has said that he's always happy to come back and play so I've got high hopes for the next Stargate SG-1 movie.
        Last edited by Alan; 04 August 2009, 03:38 PM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD, THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
          [*]The humour[/LIST]

Add Janet to that (why is there no Janet smiley!?!?!?!) and I'm in complete agreement.

Ashizuri has nothing of value to add to this conversation.
          Originally posted by Callista
          Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
          Originally posted by HPMom
          She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            <snippety snip>
            [*]The humour
            Even though I agree with the list in its entirety, I must single out 'humour' as it often made my ears bleed. The playfulness of earlier seasons was spot on 99% of the time. And then somewhere along the way the writers forgot they weren't writing for a sitcom (which, btw, thank god for that, 'cause that sitcom would tank after the first season.) Even if the jokes/gags were good (and I cannot stress enough how flat and cringe-worthy and just plain BAD they were; you know when you feel embarrassed for other people -- yeah that), it's not what SG-1 was about. Everything in moderation.

(On that note, even Jack of late S8 became a bit ridiculous. But it's Jack. I dunno. I'll borrow his line from 2010 and just say it's the war. Bottom line, I can't be held objective since I'm of the school of thought that says The Jack can't not be quality.)

Absolutely.

Regarding the third movie and Stargate: Continuum -
            Spoiler:
            I am so happy that Movie III will mainly feature the original 4 cast members of Stargate SG-1. I know that Claudia Black hasn't been asked back and Ben Browder, last I heard, wasn't sure what was happening and he was concentrating in other areas of his career (I'll take those as hopeful signs of his non-involvement) because, as much as Stargate: Continuum felt like a return to the days of Seasons 1 - 8, it still suffered from problems...the main one for me being that Mitchell's life in the altered time-line was explored and, once more, HE saved the day. Again. "SG-ME" indeed.

Hopefully TPTB won't make the same mistakes with Movie III. Brad Wright sounds like he's realised what a gift he has with Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'Neill. And Rick himself has said that he's always happy to come back and play so I've got high hopes for the next Stargate SG-1 movie.
            Could not agree with you more.
            you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
              Ashizuri has nothing of value to add to this conversation.
              You too?
              Me neither. I sure enjoy reading your posts though!
              There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
              sigpic
              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

so Alan, Greg, Evenstar, what do you think of SG-1 Season 10?
                Season 10 was actually the first season of Stargate I saw live and in order. All the other eps I saw via reruns and mostly out of order (I saw Unending long before COTG, for example). At the time I remember finding most of the episodes fairly enjoyable, and a few that I really liked such as Pegasus Project and Line in the Sand. And then there was the run of Bounty, Bad Guys, and Family Ties that I had me wondering what show I was actually watching.

However, none of the episodes really captured my interest like the ones I watched in reruns from seasons 1-8. I wasn't too concerned about getting home in time for the Friday first runs, but made sure to catch the Monday mini-marathons. At the time I just shrugged it off as a show that I just lost interest in, but finding this forum and fandom made me interested in trying to figuring why I had lost interest.

I think the main reasons why season 10 (and 9) were disappointing to me were the poorly written enemies in the Ori and Lucian Alliance, the poorly or unevenly written characters in Mitchell, Vala, Lam, and Daniel to an extent, and the shift in tone towards more silly or bawdry humor. There are still things about season 10 that I enjoyed, the Sam/Vala/Teal'c stuff in Uninvited, Sam in Company of Thieves and Road Not Taken, and Sam/Teal'c in Unending to name a few. But aside from LITS, I have little desire to rewatch any of the episodes, while season 1-8 I tend to catch every chance I get.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you referring to Sam and Tea'c getting marginalised in favour of Daniel and Vala?

While true. Its not really relevant to the actual budget. You have to pay your main cast the same amount not matter how little they appear in an episode or even if they don't appear at all.
                  You are assuming all the main casts get paid for 20 eps. They don't. In S9, Amanda got paid for 15-16 - she was out on maternity leave. In S10, Michael Shanks was out for 4 eps, two to do a movie (IIRC) and two when his and Lexa's 2nd baby was born. There are plenty of other instances in many shows where cast members are contracted for less than the total number of eps per season.

When S10 contracts were being made TPTB contacted everyone - including new cast member Claudia - except Amanda with contract offers. She finally called either Coop or Brad, not sure which to see if she needed to look for another job. This is the reference in 200 where the panicked female actress calls Marty to see if she is in the movie.Funny. NOT! Seems they weren't sure what they wanted to do with Sam. They were thinking of moving her over to SGA for an unspecified number of episodes. Might have worked storywise, might not have, but in the end they couldn't work out the contract to do that. as to my opinions about why they would have that idea.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                    Even though I agree with the list in its entirety, I must single out 'humour' as it often made my ears bleed. The playfulness of earlier seasons was spot on 99% of the time. And then somewhere along the way the writers forgot they weren't writing for a sitcom (which, btw, thank god for that, 'cause that sitcom would tank after the first season.) Even if the jokes/gags were good (and I cannot stress enough how flat and cringe-worthy and just plain BAD they were; you know when you feel embarrassed for other people -- yeah that), it's not what SG-1 was about. Everything in moderation.
                    Not only were the joke just plain bad, many were also offensive. The biggie that comes immediately to mind is Landry's comment about Sam and Orlin having an intimate relationship, but Vala's sexual harassment of Daniel was just awful... and ongoing. *cringes*
                    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                      Not only were the joke just plain bad, many were also offensive. The biggie that comes immediately to mind is Landry's comment about Sam and Orlin having an intimate relationship, but Vala's sexual harassment of Daniel was just awful... and ongoing. *cringes*
                      Lowest common denominator, and HOW did they think it would be a good idea to have it and similar nonsence carry the show, I'll never understand.

*clutches first eight seasons*
                      you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

If they filtered out the sex and potty humor of seasons nine and ten, I wonder how much would be left.
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

Ori - the most ill-conceived and poorly executed bad guys ever. I don't even know, mate. I don't even know. *shakes head*

Comment

The Ori would be emasculated by the lack of toilet bowl ships.
                            sigpic

In memory of Deejay.

Comment

No toilet bowls? It'll be the end of civilization!

sigpic

Comment

Jack would have found a way to flush them out
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X