Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _Anubis
    There was a thread on if the Earth's Stargate was the oldest but that isn't true.It is ONE of the oldest but not the oldest.As you are aware there is no naquahdah in our solarsystem and the gate works on naquahdah so you see what I'm tying to say here.
    I think you're trying to say that the Ancients couldn't buid the gates if they came from Earth so they had to come from somewhere else
    your friendly neighbourhood

Spiderman

Comment

MY big problem with this episode is the fact that gate is found IN WORKING ORDER. They make no mention of the DHD having to be "plugged in." Sam didn't have to "fiddle" with the crystals or anything. They just had to get it out of the ice enough to hit the symbols in order to try it.

Since it is later established that any other gate on earth with a DHD connected to it overrides the jury-rigged SGC gate, then by rights the very first mission in modern times...the one returning from Abydos in the Movie...should have returned to Antarctica!

I HATE inconsistency, but happily admit that Stargate as a franchise siffers from it far less than most!

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
        If you see the episode on TV sometime, view the Guide Info about the episode, It says something like: 'O'Neill and Carter are trapped in Antarctica'. Talk about spoilers for the episode
        Oooh...that...really sucks. Completelyruins the whole point of the episode!

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
          If you see the episode on TV sometime, view the Guide Info about the episode, It says something like: 'O'Neill and Carter are trapped in Antarctica'. Talk about spoilers for the episode
          LOL No kidding. Sheesh. It is also my favorite ep with probably, Abyss coming in a close second or the Lost City. RDA does pain so well. Plus all the acting was just great and the sense of team even tho they are seperated. Just great.

Shelly
          Shelly
          My Photos
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
            It's not often that a plot-hole that huge (and, it has to be said, daft) can exist without derailing the whole episode. Solitudes was just so great in every other way though that it still stands as a Top Ten one.
            *bites lip, determined not to comment*
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

What? What? It's not like any of them had hair loose in their faces or anything!

Madeleine

Comment

*sits on hands*

Note to self: Do. Not. Rise. To. Bait.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                  *sits on hands*
                  Tsck, have you forgotten your gloves again? Wearing gloves is a more efficient way to keep your hands warm than sitting on them. Silly billy!

Madeleine

Comment

You know,

*breathes on spoon and polishes it on vest*

Since I have this thing out, anyway, I might as well use it. You know, like a Gurkha Kukri knife... if the spoon is unsheathed it has to draw blood...

I'll be out later, btw, parading round the village with all the kids and their little paper lanterns... everyone, without exception, will be wearing a hat. Gloves. Scarves...
                    even though there is no snow.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spiderman
                      I think you're trying to say that the Ancients couldn't buid the gates if they came from Earth so they had to come from somewhere else
                      Man I wish this post hadn't caught my eye! I already have massive massive issues over this ep (over a seemingly - to other people - trivial thing) and I really didn't need this huge problem to come to my attention.

So my instinct is to cover my eyes, and put my fingers in my ears and sing, very loudly.
                      lalalalala I can't hear you!

Anyone got any ideas?

sigpic

Comment

omg, jus watched this ep after, well a long time... what is up with Teal'cs' expression throughout the episode?? compared to now he just looks hysterical to watch!
                        "What is an Oprah?" - Teal'c

omg thats so much funnier in my head...

Comment

I [heart] this episode! Seriously, it's awesome. High on my list of favorites. I hadn't seen it until I got Season I on DVD, and now I watch it often. Except when it's cold outside, and then it's a little creepy.

What was good:
                          a. Storyline. Didn't see it coming. I'm actually a little surprised that Antarctica has played such a large role throughout the series--most recently, "New Order" and "Frozen". Sometimes it seems like the storylines with the most potential are the ones that peter out too quickly: after all, when was the last time we saw the Nox? "Pretense"?
                          b. S/J interaction. Dialogue was good (dialogue's usually my biggest bone to pick, so this is quite an admission on my part), and AT and RDA had convincing performances. Was it one of the Lowdown's where they showed a shot of the filming of "Solitudes", when they showed AT joking about being stuck on a glacier with McGyver? I can't even remember the exact quote, but it still makes me laugh when I watch this ep.

Anyway, S/J was good. The little exchange in the scene with the sidearm gag was superb!

c. Daniel and Teal'c storyline. "What happens when you dial your own phone number? [beat] Okay, wrong person to ask." I love that part!

d. Suspense. It's not often that an ep has a perfect balance of tension, humor, and storyline. If too much weight is placed on one, the others unbalance and things get wonky. In this ep, the origin of the second Stargate was hardly touched on for something like an entire season, but the point is that it was eventually wrapped up, and that keeps me happy.

What wasn't good:
                          a. I've got nothing! Huzzah!

General notes:
                          a. OzK has a delightful fic centered around "Solitudes", told from Janet's point of view. I don't know where else it's posted, but at Stargatefan, the link is http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionms/medicalcon2.html. It's definitely worth a look. Funny and poignant.

b. Pity that the TV Guide-doodad spoiled the episode. I don't mind spoilers, and I'd still have been steamed!

Good ep. Just a little...chilly. Try watching it in July when the air conditioner goes out. Works like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                            I know, but ya think she might have realised the problem might have been at the other end, and tried a different address.
                            Remember too, that she's barely slept in a day or 2. She probably wasn't thinking as clearly as she otherwise might.

Comment

Not much more I can add than has already been said. A good episode. Great acting. I always forget the McGyver outtake isn't there ( ) and still love Jack's line : “It’s my sidearm, I swear…” and Sam's giggles afterward. (That whole piece seemed very natural and more like adlib than scripted, wonder how much was/wasn't....)
                              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I have a question...what name did O'Neill say as Carter lay by his side towards the end of the episode? It sounded like Sarah, but I wasn't sure and didn't tape it last night.
                                -girlgater

Comment

Working...
                                X