Enigma (116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnsmith9875 View Post
    Question, but why did Tollana have an old style Ancients gate rather than one of their own style? You later find out in the series they pretty much consider gate technology nothing special and they built their own gate for their new homeworld.

So why did they use an outdated one on the original planet???
    Why fix something that isn't broken?

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
      Why fix something that isn't broken?
      Perfectly right !

About the space folding device or whatever it can be, any ideas ? There’s actually a thread about it, but I think it’s time, given recent major discoveries, to renew it

Comment

Either this or Thors Hammer is my favorite episode from season 1.
        RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

nice ep, loved the cat and the concept of a society so advanced that their planet doesn't have any animals on it.
          ETA: what I mean by that is that they loved the idea of progress so much that they forgot to pay attention to the detail of looking after their planet.

I hate to disappoint Daniel, and I think Jack should know better but I'm pretty sure that the US Military is the same as the British military in that when you go to work with and for them you sign a contract that submits you to military law. Which means that, yes, Daniel could be court martialled.

Anyhooo... I like the Tolan. It's great to see a race with superior knowledge and a VERY good reason not to want to share it. And it's always great to see the Nox. So sweet and lovely, and so very very powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsmith9875 View Post
            Question, but why did Tollana have an old style Ancients gate rather than one of their own style? You later find out in the series they pretty much consider gate technology nothing special and they built their own gate for their new homeworld.

So why did they use an outdated one on the original planet???
            Ok old thread but I'm rewatching and this always bothered me about the Tolen. They have the knowledge to build their own Gate (in later episodes) but they don't have ships that travel light speed? They say they don't have ships that could make it to Earth in their lifetime. I find that hard to believe due to other technological advances.

Comment

They're very insular and have no need for fast ships. Kind of like the Chinese during the middle ages. The technology might be there but with no need, nothing gets built.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Clanger View Post
                I hate to disappoint Daniel, and I think Jack should know better but I'm pretty sure that the US Military is the same as the British military in that when you go to work with and for them you sign a contract that submits you to military law. Which means that, yes, Daniel could be court martialled.
                But what if he were an independent contractor? That is, not an employee of the military.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I've no idea abous US or British army, but here in Russia even independent contractor will get court-martialled for breaking laws, regulations or contract terms. Ministry of Defense doesn't like to be messed with
                  Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond Serpent View Post
                    I've no idea abous US or British army, but here in Russia even independent contractor will get court-martialled for breaking laws, regulations or contract terms. Ministry of Defense doesn't like to be messed with
                    I don't know about RL but independent contractors often seem to get away with such things in American TV shows as they are never subjected to military law. I've seen it happen in a number of shows.
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Yeah, well show is a show, RL is RL... I've seen history books and news reports enough to know, beside I'm from a military family, so I can judge my country at least.
                      Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

It's not that an independent contractor can't be criminally prosecuted, it's just that I'm pretty sure it would not be a court-martial. ETA: and part of the punishment would almost certainly be an inability to contract with the government.

Seaboe

Comment

Different countries have different laws. Here even independants could get court-martialled if they jeopardize, sabotage etc military operations or stuff.

sigpic

Comment

I guess what I'm saying, VS is that in the U.S., whatever they did to punish Daniel wouldn't be called a court martial. Courts martial deal only with members of the military.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                              They're very insular and have no need for fast ships. Kind of like the Chinese during the middle ages. The technology might be there but with no need, nothing gets built.

Seaboe
                              Ok so their lack of fast ships in spite of their technology is chapping my butt again! I'm watching "100 Days", we are told the Tolan do have ships but not fast enough to be useful. Arghh!!

Comment

Schrödinger -- I love that cat!

Random note: both McKay & Carter had a cat.
                                (lack of SGA PTW originality shows even in characters)

I'm partial to this episode. I don't really dislike it, but I don't really like it either. We're not as technological advanced as we like to believe, and when the opportunity arises we show just how primitive we can be. The young do not always do as they are told... big time. But we're learning so that's a good think.

Maybourne in a fit... he'll be back!

And the Nox... lovely people they are.
                                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                                X