Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tryxy View Post
    A fabulous premier ep that got me hooked on Stargate the second MS step on screen.

The reason I checked it out tho was RDA I was a McGyver fan and the chance to see him in something new I could not pass up.
    I thought it was a perfect cast. I loved the original movie, and had talked with friends before about how a Stargate sequel (since we didn't have the TV show at the time) could be done without any of the original cast and it would make sense, because there could be other gates.

I also remember a TV Guide interview with RDA at the time where he said he figured some of his die-hard MacGuyver fans might have trouble watching Stargate because he openly carries and uses guns. O'Neill and MacGuyver are two guys who probably wouldn't get along if they met.

As for the "Going back through the gate" part, I just figured that was an oversight. But since there are sorta-plausible explanations of a hand device or a manual dial (Does that mean the Jaffa would manually turn the gate by hand?!?) it shouldn't be a big deal.

One question I always had was the Iris. How does titanium bend like that? It looks like the metal stretches out of the ring and comes to a point. I know it looks cool, which is enough of a reason to do it in sci-fi, but is there any explanation for how titanium changes shape?
    Last edited by Zandrax; 02 March 2008, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I'm wondering this question :
      How could Apophis open the Stargate after the serial-kill without using the program censed to open the Stargate ?

Comment

This was a great episode, i really enjoyed it! After watching the Stargate movie about 4 years ago, i absolutely loved the story and the concept behind it, so i immediately had 2 go out and start buying all the sg1 dvd's. Seeing this episode continue pretty much right after the events of the movie was great, and i wanted 2 kno wat daniel was up 2 on abydos.

When a goa'uld came through the stargate at the beginning, at first i was like wth, i thought ra was dead....? Learning that that were many in the same species as ra was very interesting and i knew right away that the scope of this story carrying on throughout the seasons was gonna b amazing and it was!

It was nice seeing skaara and shar'ai again, altho it was sad when apophis took them and made them goa'uld hosts, and i hoped that someday daniel would find them and bring them back. Seeing teal'c join the team was also very nice, and him betraying apophis and helping sg1 was very powerful when i watched that.

All in all, an excellent pilot episode, better than any other show i've ever seen.

Comment

So, will you be watching the rest of the show?
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

What a great way to start the series. Sam's reproductive organs are on the inside! Shocka!

9/10

My full review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...n-of-gods.html
            My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
            http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Basically the death of Ra, caused the Goa'uld to realize the strength of the Tauri. They already know about us but they left Earth alone after the rebellion in ancient Egypt
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Apophis was looking for the perfect host for his queen. My guess is Earth just happened to be on the list of places with possible specimens.
                My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

After watching the entire series, I finally decided to rewatch the SG-1's from the beginning now. I waited until it had been so long, I won't actually remember every part by heart now.

I think it was interesting how Apophis decided to choose a host for his queen Amunet soon after Ra was dead. And he also wanted hosts for his own children around the same time. I wonder if that was because he was the new head of the System Lords and he felt like it was time to create his version of the most elite Goa'uld empire?

Also, it is very clear to me that the Goa'uld are scavengers and probably didn't invent most if not all of the technology they used, since Apophis used the same remote device to open the Stargate manually, without a DHD. I've only seen some of the 4 great races of old (Asgard, Nox, Furlings, Ancients) use anything similar on the show. And it was interesting how after Teal'c asked Jack questions about his digital watch, that Teal'c felt like the Goa'uld could actually be defeated by another race. I'm guessing that Teal'c figured that any race that could make advanced enough technology could take on the Gou'ald.

My favorite line was Sam Carter's: "Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside, doesn't mean we can't do the same job, sir."
                  Last edited by starshineRoxie; 02 July 2008, 02:55 PM.
                  StarshineRoxie
                  A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi all. I am new in the SG1 world. I have not seen any epsiodes until last week. I just watched this episode and I really really enjoyed it! I've watched it twice in a row actually.

I have also seen the movie when it was originally screened in the cinema. I also enjoyed that movie. When I heard about that they're gonna make a TV series about the movie, I was just indifferent. Not really excited. Even when I found out that Macgyver is gonna be in the show. For me, RDA will always be Macgyver first and foremost. So, I had, at that time have a problem picturing RDA as anything but Macgyver. I count not imagine him take over Kurt Russel's role. I am happy to say that RDA is very good as Col. Jack O'Neill. I really love O'Neill's sense of humor.

I can't wait to watch more of O'Neill! Another thing I like about the show, just based on the first episode, is the premise of using modern day people and technology interacting with aliens and advanced technology. It's a bit more relatabale, at least for me, than say, Star Trek and the like.

Although I found faults in the episodes, like the gratuitious (imo) nudity and the inconsistencies which has been discussed here, I still thoroughly enjoyed the ep. I wasn't expecting perfection anyway.

ps. I had to import the dvd coz the local stores here don't have it. apparently, the singapore authorities did not approve the season 1 dvd for distribution due to, i assume, the nudity.

Comment

I've got a question: if one were to skip over the parts of CotG that contain the graphic nudity, would the overall narrative of the episode be negatively affected?

Comment

nope
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I agree with MC.
                          The nudity scene wasn't in the COTG Uk video release ..then I bought the DVD .The nudity didn't faze me,but I didn't like the symbiote possession scene very much.
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
                            I agree with MC.
                            The nudity scene wasn't in the COTG Uk video release ..then I bought the DVD .The nudity didn't faze me,but I didn't like the symbiote possession scene very much.
                            Brad Wright is redoing COTG. It will not have the nudity in it, and he says, it will have a 'tighter' story. Sounds like fun.

I hope they do commentary on it. If people can remember that long ago.

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I have to be honest . I've never been a fan of retcons in other shows and movies ..but I'm softening a bit towards the Special edition ,even though I wince at paying out three times for the pilot.
                              I can see why BW wanted the nudity erased ,but I hope the main scenes and dialogue aren't tweaked too much.

Sheesh..I think unless the cast and crew kept diaries ,they may have to rewatch the original version and/or wing it on the new commentary.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

well, it's a good news for me if they're gonna redo the ep. i just hope its not too much. just take out that nudity scene and add commentaries, preferrably from RDA.

Comment

Working...
                                X