Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
    Yeah but how did they get the power? Surely a year after the first mission the Stargate is gonna have zilch residual juice.
    Capacitors!
    "I met a traveller from an antique land..."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer View Post
      As I recall there are some slight differences between the services, but I believe the air force follows the pattern that I know. You only salute indoors if you are under arms (at which point you wear a hat as well). Otherwise you simply come to attention.
      I believe if one is reporting to an officer (indoors), a salute is rendered.

I had issues with the uniform epaulettes frequently laying on top of the uniform collar...

Comment

Originally posted by Unas View Post
        I dont think the Army Secretary is in the chain of command. It skips from the army chief of staff to the Defense Secretary. Its similar to why the VP isnt in the chain either. Hoover's VP once tried to order a private to evict the Bonus Marchers back in the 30s. The private ignored him since the VP wasnt in the chain.
        You are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by alexia_star_2002 View Post
          Certain branches of the military do and don't salute indoors....but for the life of me, I can't remember which do and don't for sure. I think the Army does not, but the Air Force and Navy do.
          The Army does/did.

Comment

Originally posted by dstruct2k View Post
            I just started rewatching SG-1, and I think I've spotted a familiar (and unexpected) face. I can't find any reference to him in the credits though.

I'm talking about the soldier manning the turret at 18m 55s. Does anyone else think this might be a young David Blue (Eli Wallace)?

[Screencap]
            I saw that in Stargate clip on Youtube and thought it was him as well... I actually found his character annoying on SU, though, saying that, I probably felt they were all annoying to one degree on another. Guess I'm one of those 'it's just not Stargate SG-1' types.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              Wow, can't remember when I last saw COTGs! It was good in a way as there were scenes I'd actually forgotten!

Watching both versions back to back was interesting. There's so many cut scenes, but quite a few added in the remastered that weren't used originally in the original version.

So, don't know if any one is playing spot the differences but, here's what I noticed.

New introduction panning from Earth's orbit through the clouds to the card table in the gateroom instead of the cross eyed Egyptian statue! The card scene was shortened.

When they were discussing what the bodies of the dead Jaffa were in the infirmary there was no mention of a female Jaffa in the original version. The scene with the female Jaffa's body was filmed and never used until the remaster.

I was surprised when they cut out the discussion Jack had in the holding room with Kawalsky about his son and Kawalsky never knowing that Jack had a son that they had in the original version.

The discussion in the control room with Hammond and Samuels about sending the tissue box instead of a note. Jack adding anyone could send a note, shooting Samuels' suggestion down. They added an extra scene as well withWalter holding down the wandering coffee cup from the vibrations of the dialing gate that wasn't in the original.

The introduction of Sam to the rest of the team scene! Oh yes, totally different! Gone was the discussion about GI Joe or Matt Mason doll played with as a child!! Of course the infamous 'reproductive organs' discussion was gone, leaving only what seemed like a really out of the blue comment by Jack about not having a problem with women, only scientists. Taking this scene out in the remaster version will make references to it in two future episodes in Seasons 8 and 10 totally confusing to those that will never see the original uncut scene.

Sam marveling about the event horizon before she steps through for the fist time was cut quite a bit for the newer version.

They took out the 'MacGyvered' reference Sam made on seeing the DHD on Abydos, when telling everyone how long it took them to create a dialling program for the Earth gate. Just left 'Jerry rigged' in.

I liked the extra CGI'd Abydonian scenes they added in the remastered version. Also added some scenes when they were eating with the Abydonian's, some food they rescued from the banged up probe that was sent through earlier before they'd unburied the gate completely.I was happy to find that the annoying laughing old woman of the original cut was taken out in the new one!!!

The choosing of the Airforce Sergeant and Shauri from the selection of women in the harem before they were brought to Apophis were cut.

The Doctor/Captain conversation in the map cartouche room with Daniel and Sam was cut as it was cut from the briefing room discussion along with much of the other dialogue already mentioned!

The added scene back in the SGC briefing room where Hammond orders them to get Daniel new clothes and that "he stinks." was funny!

The 'Nudity' scene and the Goa'uld symbiote entering Share. Even though it has been said the nude scene was put in because Showtime who commissioned the series wanted it in there, I personally think it was used appropriately to tell the story. Here was a vulnerable woman taken against her will and stripped literally and figuratively of her humanity and violated by this parasite. All the images of the gory scene of the Goa'uld actually beginning to burrow into her neck along with her piercing screams were cut; her scream remastered too oddly enough to make it sound as if she was suffering less in the remastered version and made the scene less harrowing. I felt much was lost from the scene in the remastered version. This grim reality Stargate began with only returned in SGU twelve years later!

There's a few more changes I could mention but phew, there's more than I thought! Biggest remaining ones. Extra dialogue about Teal'c and his symbiote being the twelfth he's carried as they escape to the gate on Chulak. Liked the extra scene with the cave man looking guy throwing stones at the attacking Jaffa and Jack being impressed when he downs one.

Then there's the ending, cutting out the scene altogether with Kawalsky's fate. Guess it leaves us with more of a surprise we find out in the next episode!!! Good for those who've never seen the original version I guess!!!

All in all, I preferred the original version, the newer one was remastered too much to reflect the way the Stargate story was being told in a lighter tone by 2009 when it was released. Not that I have any problem with it, I love SG-1!!!
              I remember a major reason for a re-mastered/re-edited version was that the producers felt Teal's lines/delivery were wrong/off in the original. I need to re-watch the original and compare to the re-master and see if I can hear the difference.

Comment

[QUOTE=juggernaut975;12814139]Lots of little differences in the Final Cut, never even noticed the three different puddle effects in the original COTG.

Found it odd that Apophis would spend so much time accompanying his troops, not just in COTG but also in subsequent episodes, you would think that a System Lord would be a little less hands-on and remain behind.

Commander that micro-manages... he doesn't have to worry about a negative OER.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Its not up to fans to dictate canon. Given the amount of references COTG makes to the orginal movie it has to be canon nevermind the whole trip to Abydos.
                  I'm with The Jelgate on this...

Comment

Originally posted by photoglyph View Post
                    I suspect that the scene was done to give a show on a premium cable channel some bang for the buck... gratuitous nudity -hell, even 'tuitous' nudity seemed to show up more on the high falutin' cable channels back then as a means of distinguishing themselves from broadcast TV.
                    I saw the pilot on TV without the nude scene, and I was surprised when I saw it again later again on DVD. I presumed it was just aired on a US network that allowed nudity. The whole season DVD is rated 18 just for that scene.

Comment

I just started to rewatch this, and I found this forum. ??

My CoTG story:

I have to premise this by telling you that I homeschool my kids. About 9 years ago I started to rewatch this with my two older boys (12 and 13 yo) on Netflix. I remembered the full frontal scene, so I was trying to fast forward through that part, and lo and behold I stopped at the exact moment to see the full nudity. ??

My oldest' s comment: "Anatomy....check", while making a big check mark in the air. Makes me chuckle every time I think of it.??

I am now starting to rewatch it again on Hulu and was debating on letting my younger two boys watch it ( They are 12 and 15yo-- I have four in all). I was relieved that the nude scene was cut.

My oldest who is now 22yo still remembers that scene fondly. ??

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                        I just started to rewatch this, and I found this forum.
                        Welcome to the (un)Official Stargate Forum!

If you're just starting your rewatch, you might have noticed that I, and some of my closest friends (read: a fair few Gaters in fact) are doing a rewatch. If you want to, you can join right in. There are quizzes and puzzles and everything.

I have to premise this by telling you that I homeschool my kids. About 9 years ago I started to rewatch this with my two older boys (12 and 13 yo) on Netflix. I remembered the full frontal scene, so I was trying to fast forward through that part, and lo and behold I stopped at the exact moment to see the full nudity.

Nice aim.

As far as the nudity went, I didn't think much of it. Mind you, I'm European and we aren't as prudish as the general American audience is.
                        Then again, I always interpreted that as a master inspecting their slave and soon to be host. It's not like that hasn't happened in history (see slaves sold in the US, and the things we did to our colonies in Africa). It was a show of power and the vulnerability of the human flesh being downgraded to object to possess and use for its own gain.

I never knew that it was supposedly a demand from ShowTime at the time (Stargate SG-1 didn't start showing up on TV channels in Belgium until the first 2 seasons had already aired in the USA).

My oldest' s comment: "Anatomy....check", while making a big check mark in the air. Makes me chuckle every time I think of it.
                        Aced it!

I am now starting to rewatch it again on Hulu and was debating on letting my younger two boys watch it ( They are 12 and 15yo-- I have four in all). I was relieved that the nude scene was cut.
                        They did a "director's cut" a few years ago. Never watched -- don't much care for it either. I'll stick to the original.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yep, we Americans are prudish. My husband was stationed in both Germany and Italy with the Army. Definite difference. In fact, when we got back to the States my oldest, who was 6 yo at the time, couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to pee in the park here, while he could in Europe. LOL

Where would I find the games and puzzles? Sounds like fun!

Comment

In fact, when we got back to the States my oldest, who was 6 yo at the time, couldn't understand why he wasn't allowed to pee in the park here, while he could in Europe. LOL
                            As it currently stands, not technically allowed (anymore) over here, but when you gotta go, you gota go and sometimes a little creativity with the environment is a must.

Where would I find the games and puzzles? Sounds like fun!
                            I post them in the episode threads, or you can find a round-up in this thread: Proper Stargate Rewatch: round-up of polls, quizzes & jigsaw puzzles
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Challenge the puzzle master at your own peril
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I got a 6/10 on the quiz. I have to catch up oh my Stargate trivia. . Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X