Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    That kind of sounds like something BW added on later to cover up an obvious continuity error he did not consider.
    There are quite a few of those
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      That kind of sounds like something BW added on later to cover up an obvious continuity error he did not consider.
      You mean like how the recut version now has a completely different battle scene to the one shown in 'Politics' at the end of season one?
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

...as far as pilots go COTG is quite effective... it gives you all the relevant info AND manages to be interesting...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by MylittleEli View Post
          I have noticed quite a few of these little things too this time around. I also noticed that the ramp up to the SG gate still goes all the way through the gate, where as later on there is a gap where the even horizon goes. Its a nit pick but a blip non the less.
          I never noticed that! I will look for that next time.
          sigpic

Comment

Hi, I am new here. However I am a fun of Stargate since I was 11 years old (now in my 20’s). English is not my native language, so in advance I apologize for any butchering of the English language.

Recently I am doing my personal rewatch.
            Children of Gods : This was a first episode I saw and I was hooked right away.
            It is a very good pilot, it explains the Abydos mission for people who didn’t see the movie ( I saw the movie after I saw the whole season1. ). It explains why they have problems with opening the gate for the first time, it introduces goa’ulds. Some things did change, as the gate travel made people sick and there were some mistakes (from the later episode point of view), but that is almost with all shows that the pilot is slightly different.
            Only think which was a little bit weird to me is Teal’c change of side. It was too quick. Even in Moebius they talked more, before Teal’c decide to help them. I prefer the original against the Final cut.

Comment

While I am very much into Science Fiction I am pretty new to Stargate and only started watching it after I accidentally came across the 1994 film some time ago. I think from the first episode onwards the series is a vast improvement on the movie, but having seen the movie first I at first preferred the pilot episode to the final cut. It made more sense to me personally that in the beginning Daniel would be very much the same guy he is in the movie and only changed gradually, becoming less James Spader and more Michael Shanks.
              I think, in the final cut he was too different.
              What I like about the episode is that they manage to tie in the story with the film, but at the same time adapt the narrative, so it suits the concept of a series, while they're still managing to keep the mythological premise present and important for the further development of the series.
              The only thing I didn't like was the fact that suddenly everyone speaks English, which didn't annoy me on Abydos as it is quite possible that Skaara learned some English in about a year, but it didn't make much sense on the other planet. But, I guess, that's television...

Comment

You know how the DVD set "Stargate SG1 The Complete Series" edits several episodes including the pilot? Carter's famous line "Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside..." has been removed so her argument with O'Neil doesn't make sense. I haven't seen it but that's what I've read. Is the season 1 DVD set - "Stargate SG1 Season 1" - edited in the same way? It sounds like the way it was aired is better than the complete series box set. I want to get the whole series but I don't want things to be edited out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by locutus0985 View Post
                  You know how the DVD set "Stargate SG1 The Complete Series" edits several episodes including the pilot? Carter's famous line "Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside..." has been removed so her argument with O'Neil doesn't make sense. I haven't seen it but that's what I've read. Is the season 1 DVD set - "Stargate SG1 Season 1" - edited in the same way? It sounds like the way it was aired is better than the complete series box set. I want to get the whole series but I don't want things to be edited out. Thanks.
                  Now why would anyone in their right mind edit that particular line out. I get it that the prudes in the States edit the nudity in the aired version of the pilot episode but seriously that makes no sense. Are you sure you heard right and weren't dozed off?

Region 2 season 1 (silver box) consists of two boxes - one with the pilot and two other episodes. And one with the rest of the season - unedited, completely intact.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Now why would anyone in their right mind edit that particular line out. I get it that the prudes in the States edit the nudity in the aired version of the pilot episode but seriously that makes no sense. Are you sure you heard right and weren't dozed off?

Region 2 season 1 (silver box) consists of two boxes - one with the pilot and two other episodes. And one with the rest of the season - unedited, completely intact.
                    She's right about the edits to "Children of the Gods". Brad Wright did it because he didn't like how the original played out. So he took out Sam's comment about organs. And you are right that that scene doesn't make sense without her comment. Brad fiddled around with a bunch of stuff. He also took out Sam's comment about MacGyvering the DHD, and made it something like jury rigging the DHD. Then he put that version up for sale and called it "Children of the Gods: Final Cut".

Comment

Final Cut sounds more like the butchered version. I mean, if anyone watches that one, and only that cut of the episode then the callback at the end of season 8 where geeky AU-Carter makes the exact same comment gets lost completely.

Sometimes the proverbial scissors in the cutting room need to be taken away from these people.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                        She's right about the edits to "Children of the Gods". Brad Wright did it because he didn't like how the original played out. So he took out Sam's comment about organs. And you are right that that scene doesn't make sense without her comment. Brad fiddled around with a bunch of stuff. He also took out Sam's comment about MacGyvering the DHD, and made it something like jury rigging the DHD. Then he put that version up for sale and called it "Children of the Gods: Final Cut".
                        "He" not "She". Why would you make that assumption based on my username? It was actually me, not Hedwig, who said the scene doesn't make sense without Carter's comment.

Comment

Is that a serious question or were you dozed off?

Comment

Originally posted by locutus0985 View Post
                            Is that a serious question or were you dozed off?
                            No, but I was about to...

I though it was merely a rumor until Hedwig confirmed it's an actual reality.

Comment

Now why would anyone in their right mind edit that particular line out. I get it that the prudes in the States edit the nudity in the aired version of the pilot episode but seriously that makes no sense.
                              SG-1 doesn't strike me as a prudish series. In Season 8 (Moebius), in a moment of self-referential criticism, the writers and/or TPTB tell us why they dislike that particular line. The scene: Alt-Carter is rehearsing what she'd like to say to her boss...

Alt-Carter: Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside doesn't m-- God that's horrible! Who would ever say that?

There's the reason for the edit. It's an awkward line that few would actually say in RL. Caricature has its uses, but it's ill-timed in Carter's very first scene, when viewers form their first impressions.

Personally, I disagree with the deletion. It's a laughably bad line, but it's an unforgettable part of the SG-1 that I know and love.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                                SG-1 doesn't strike me as a prudish series. In Season 8 (Moebius), in a moment of self-referential criticism, the writers and/or TPTB tell us why they dislike that particular line. The scene: Alt-Carter is rehearsing what she'd like to say to her boss....
                                Except that TPTB in season 8 were not the same as the ones in season 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X