No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I'm taking part in Bradjohnson's rewatch of SG1, SGA and SGU (in that order) and so here I am... This is the first time in this thread as I wasn't around until Atlantis started to actively discuss anything Stargate related on Gateworld.

Children of the Gods (the original Showtime one) might have been the first episode I saw a long time ago but I can't be sure. Anyway, I did get hooked and kept watching (until Universe that is, haven't actually seen that yet).

I definitely still enjoy watching SG1 and enjoy the characters this show brought forth through the years. The story, the in-show history, the backgrounds, the effects...

Anyway...

Daniel Jackson - loved him from the start. He just renewed my love for this character. His geeky first years, floppy hair, the sneezing, the curiosity, his wonder, ... he will change of course, but I really liked that TV-Jackson and Film-Jackson were kept so close as far as character went. In the beginning at least... he had to change otherwise it would have meant no growth of the character, could have become rather boring.

I also noticed some of the rocks on Chulak moving as people crash into them. Rubber staffweapons in the background acting and reacting to movement. Little iffy things here and there make for a fun watch... for me anyway.

COTG remains a good beginning to the story that is SG1.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Ok so I am once again starting from the beginning. I did part of the GW rewatch then life sidetracked it. I finally just finished SG1, and wanted to see some more Jack O'Neill so just started from COTG again. I'm too lazy to pull out the DVDs so I've been watching on Netflix, so sadly its not the recut.

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      As a friend of mine put it, for everything they improved in the director's cut, they made something worse. I didn't mind that they cut the nudity; I was annoyed they cut the MacGyver line.

Seaboe
      I totally agree. I was so sad to see the MacGyver line taken out. I certainly didn't miss the naked scenes...totally unnecessary IMO. Also the "reproductive organs" line is just embarrassing but they removed a little TOO much of that initial interaction btw Sam and Jack.

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
      The MacGyver quote is essential... it's just not right to cut that out ...

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      So, I'm taking part in Bradjohnson's rewatch of SG1, SGA and SGU (in that order) and so here I am... This is the first time in this thread as I wasn't around until Atlantis started to actively discuss anything Stargate related on Gateworld.

Children of the Gods (the original Showtime one) might have been the first episode I saw a long time ago but I can't be sure. Anyway, I did get hooked and kept watching (until Universe that is, haven't actually seen that yet).

I definitely still enjoy watching SG1 and enjoy the characters this show brought forth through the years. The story, the in-show history, the backgrounds, the effects...

Anyway...

Daniel Jackson - loved him from the start. He just renewed my love for this character. His geeky first years, floppy hair, the sneezing, the curiosity, his wonder, ... he will change of course, but I really liked that TV-Jackson and Film-Jackson were kept so close as far as character went. In the beginning at least... he had to change otherwise it would have meant no growth of the character, could have become rather boring.

I also noticed some of the rocks on Chulak moving as people crash into them. Rubber staffweapons in the background acting and reacting to movement. Little iffy things here and there make for a fun watch... for me anyway.

COTG remains a good beginning to the story that is SG1.
      I have noticed quite a few of these little things too this time around. I also noticed that the ramp up to the SG gate still goes all the way through the gate, where as later on there is a gap where the even horizon goes. Its a nit pick but a blip non the less.

Over all though its fun to start from the beginning again and see the characters at their starting. I also like seeing Daniel like he was in the beginning. I like how plucky he is and less broody and sarcastic (and dare I say a little arrogant) than later seasons.
      sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
      Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
      GateCon Vancouver 2011
      Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

this still remains my favorite Stargate Pilot (Rising comes in at a close second and Air takes the bronze). to this day. may be a little outdated but you know what, it doesn't really matter, this pilot launched what to me is my all time favorite tv show (and like Jack O'Neill and RDA, The Simpsons is one of my favorites but at a close second).

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
          this still remains my favorite Stargate Pilot (Rising comes in at a close second and Air takes the bronze). to this day. may be a little outdated but you know what, it doesn't really matter, this pilot launched what to me is my all time favorite tv show (and like Jack O'Neill and RDA, The Simpsons is one of my favorites but at a close second).
          Stargate is my fav too, and CO and RDA made me start watching The Simpsons...i will never regret that, it's great. And fun. Very much fun.
          sigpic

Comment

Personal rewatch: Disc 1, Season 1, three episodes: Children of the Gods, The Enemy Within, Emancipation.

I'll be frank. If this had been my only introduction to Stargate, I'd never have become a fan. I would've thought it was too violent, and the gratuitous female nudity would've been a huge turn off. However, I was introduced to the show on DVD, when I could pick and choose the episodes that sounded interesting, and I could skip the parts that were boring or otherwise uninteresting (I've since gone back and watched almost every episode in full; some are just not worth it to me).

I do find this episode interesting to rewatch because of all the little things that differ from what ultimately became canon. Hammond as a hard-nosed, toe-the-line officer; Sara leaving Jack instead of vice versa; Charlie Kawalsky not knowing Jack had a son; Everyone wearing class As in the conference room. Oh, and Skaara being chosen by someone other than Apophis.

Seaboe
            Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 03 September 2013, 07:22 AM.
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I have watched a lot of pilots over the years but this has to be one of my favs. It just does everything right personally.
              Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
              Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Starting another SG-1 rewatch this year/next year. I really do enjoy the very first episode that started one of my favorite tv shows of all time.

Comment

Started a personal rewatch today, dusting off the first few episodes, its like going back in time.
                  Aww like an old friend, even the stuff I used to find a bit cringe worthy I love now cos' its all just part of Stargate.
                  I think I'm going to enjoy the next however long it takes me to watch the while series from start to end

Comment

Originally posted by Colonal Jack O'Teal'C View Post
                    Hi ya's,
                    I'm new here so forgive me if this has been covered in the past. Last night I decided to rip my SG-1 DVD collection and back them all up as Divx files. I started with Season 1 to make it less confusing for me. Anyways, I went back to see how the first one came out. It was Children Of The Gods. Here is my question. In the first part we see Apophis and his Ja'Fa come through the gate. After taking a hostage and shooting up the place we see them going back through. Ok, with no DHD...how in the heck did they dial back out? This is something I must have looked over many many times and just now realizing that it was impossible for them to dial out from the base at that time. Unless they accessed the computers but none of them left the gate platform. I'm thinking there should be a portable DHD written into the script to explain this. Ok, I'm done with my rant lol......

Jimmy
                    Star Trek is dead....Long live Stargate
                    There was no DhD, but there was a dialing system they used in the movie. Ol'Pophis could have a device that hacked that system. Assuming it was connected to a power source, and ignoring the interfacing issues.

Comment

Actually, the simple answer to that question -- his jaffa did go up into the control room and dialled the gate. That's not how it looked, sure, but that's the easiest explanation.

I think they fixed that issue in the director's cut.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Actually, the simple answer to that question -- his jaffa did go up into the control room and dialled the gate. That's not how it looked, sure, but that's the easiest explanation.

Yep, they used one of those tiny DIY dialers. I think it may have been the same Teal'c has in Continuum.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I always assumed they had some sort of hand device, like the blue one in the movie that controlled the rings.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Hi, I'm new here. Long time Stargate fan, but never on an English site.
                            Recently a friend and myself reviewed the pilot and filmed ourselves doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                              I always assumed they had some sort of hand device, like the blue one in the movie that controlled the rings.
                              On the commentary of the recut of Children of the Gods, Brad Wright says something about Apophis having one of those hand held devices like Teal'c had in Continuum where he slapped it on the gate, pushed a couple of little buttons and the gate activated.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                On the commentary of the recut of Children of the Gods, Brad Wright says something about Apophis having one of those hand held devices like Teal'c had in Continuum where he slapped it on the gate, pushed a couple of little buttons and the gate activated.
                                That kind of sounds like something BW added on later to cover up an obvious continuity error he did not consider.
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X