No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something that has always bugged me. How could Teal'c not have known where Apophis took Skaara and Sha're. He was the First Prime. I know, it's because that's the way the writers wanted it. But this is a nitpick, I guess.
    Also, how come the gate on earth is the only one that spins?

Comment

Because all of the others are fake, of course. The non-spinning of offworld gates is strictly an artefact of TV filming restrictions.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

That's what I thought.

Comment

Hello All. Today I bought the first season of Stargate SG1. I don't know how active these threads on the old episodes are, but I need a place to post my thoughts on each episode. Basically I'm doing my own rewatch and I want to rant about each episode from beginning to end. So, pay no attention to my posts, I just a need a place to digress after every episode. But if you so happen to see one of my posts and would like to comment, feel free to do so. Anyway, on to the first episode. I actually watched the directors cut of Children of the Gods and then I watched the pilot episode. If anyone wants to know if there are any differences, then I'll tell you. Some scenes have been moved around, some dialog cut, a few extended scenes but not very memorable. The scene that Carter says "Magyver" is now replaced with "Jerry-rig", no nudity scene (I know, I threw a fit when they cut it too), new special effects like the gliders and such, the outside of the pyramid also changed (It looks way different). Well, I think that's it. Overall a great start to the series. While I've heard the debate about Apophis not dialing the gate in the opening scene, I never noticed it the first time I saw the episode on TV. Well, I finally noticed it today while rewatching this episode. Don't really care about it though. Plot hole or not, I'll just let my imagination figure it out. Anyway, if you actually read all of this, then I am sorry for wasting a minute of your time and thanks for reading. Oh Yeah, this is gonna be a great rewatch for me!!! Jaffa Kree......my peanut butter!
          Last edited by ngewakl; 11 December 2012, 08:29 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Enjoy your rewatch!..nothing like rediscovering and enjoying SG-1 all over again is there?...

Deeds xx
            sigpic
            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

As a friend of mine put it, for everything they improved in the director's cut, they made something worse. I didn't mind that they cut the nudity; I was annoyed they cut the MacGyver line.

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Boobies for Anoobis!

Okay, honestly, of course this is one of the most significant episodes of the series, and honestly it was a really good one. The mickey-mouse-ear costume of Apophis ... well, not my taste. I like his golden snake armor more.

It was funny to watch this episode again, I could have sworn Bra'tac was already seen in this episode, but I was wrong. It's been years since the original watch and the re-watch. Even funnier to watch it with German synchro dubbing, as Swiss, I just understand it better in German, but still it's kinda losing it's special humor with the different voices.

Comment

I sometimes watch season one in French, while the French subtitles scroll. Of course, the subtitles come off the English script and don't always match the French script, which is fun.

And I agree, the humor is different when the voices aren't the originals.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                    As a friend of mine put it, for everything they improved in the director's cut, they made something worse. I didn't mind that they cut the nudity; I was annoyed they cut the MacGyver line.

Seaboe
                    I have the original with the nudity, sadly. I had only seen this ep on SyFy so I didn't know about the nudity until I bought the DVD"S imagine my surprise. I almost choked.
                    The upside is I get to see the MacGyver scene
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

That McGyver line is actually something similar to Tasha Yar waving into the camera during her last scene before quitting the team in Star Trek TNG's first season. Something that deserves to be in the show, just for the sake of being funny.

Comment

I sometimes watch season one in French, while the French subtitles scroll. Of course, the subtitles come off the English script and don't always match the French script, which is fun.

And I agree, the humor is different when the voices aren't the originals.

Seaboe

I watched COTG in Spanish with the English subtitles... it was interesting...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Seaboe
                          The MacGyver quote is essential... it's just not right to cut that out ...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                            I watched COTG in Spanish with the English subtitles... it was interesting...
                            Next time try SG-1 in Russian Sometimes it's hilarious cause of brain dead translators. E.g. line from CotG: "Briefing will be at 08.00" turned into "Briefing will be at 800th level." How much levels did those dumb idiots thought a missile silo has? *facepalm*
                            Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Due to essays, a dissertation and whatnot, I didn't participate in the Gateworld rewatch though I really, really wanted to. I knew that if I did, I'd never get anything done! However, I've got slightly more free time on my hands now so I started with the movie last Sunday. I'm already up to "Fire and Water". I've been wanting to rewatch "SG-1" from the beginning for a long, long time and I'm thrilled that I've finally started doing so.

Overall, I liked the recut version of "Children of the Gods" more than most people but I was still disappointed that several things were cut out such as the MacGyver line and Jack and Kawalsky's discussion about Charlie in the holding cell. I watched the original version for nostalgic reasons as part of the rewatch.

One thing that's always bothered me about the pilot is that, starting with the breakout scene, we hear a woman say, "We're going to die!" followed by a man screaming (it might be the Wilhelm scream, actually) about five or six times. I was glad that they cut that out of the Final Cut!
                              Last edited by GusF; 31 March 2013, 05:12 AM.
                              Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926)

I have no country to fight for. My country is the Earth. I am a citizen of the world.

When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong.

Comment

I love Children of the God's. I first was introduced to Stargate while I was in High School, but I was unsure if I'd like it. So I went a rented the first season and watched the first ep Children of the God's that night. I wound up watching the entire season by the next day! =) This ep sold me for the show!

Comment

Working...
                                X