X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
    The purist in me refuses to watch the final cut
    Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    I watched it still loved it the orignal one don't plan on watching the recut
    The commentary with the recut version is terrific!
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
      The purist in me refuses to watch the final cut
      I don't want to watch it either..
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Nor do I.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
        sigpic
        now also appearing on DeviantArt
        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          That's in the movie and is not canon. Besides, Jaye Davidson was actually 27 in 1995.
          The movie is canon. Some things are just retcon
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I concur with all those above who won't watch recut. *nod* Original is fine with me.
            Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

I have lost count how many times I have seen this episode but for some reason I enjoyed it much more this time. Maybe it has something to do with the rewatch *shrugs*

Teal'cs side changing moment is still great but annoying at the same time. Why aren't the serpent guards firing at Teal'c? arggghhhh.

Went and bought the final cut online. Now the waiting game begins.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                The movie is canon. Some things are just retcon
                Like basically everything? To me the movie is not canon as even their names and ranks change.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Actually, the movie started it all, which makes it canon by default. Whose rank changed between the movie and COTG?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                  Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic
                  Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                    Actually, the movie started it all, which makes it canon by default. Whose rank changed between the movie and COTG?
                    Kawalksy and Ferretti were both Lieutenants in the movie, Kawalsky was a Major in CotG (a logical progression in rank). I'm not sure if they mentioned a rank for Ferretti.
                    ps I agree: if it weren't for the movie we wouldn't have the series. works for me.
                    Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

I could have sworn Kawalsky was a major in the movie, too. Anyway, that's an issue, then, because from lieutenant to major in a year is not a logical progression in rank. Not only that, but in the episode "The Gamekeeper" we see that Kawalsky was with Jack on a mission in East Germany clear back in 1982, so it makes sense for him to be a major by the late 1990's -- there's no way he'd be a lieutenant. So it's obvious that the series retconned things.

But the major stuff (no pun intended) from the movie is still considered canon; it's just that canon crossover between the film and the series is somewhat malleable.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                        I could have sworn Kawalsky was a major in the movie, too. Anyway, that's an issue, then, because from lieutenant to major in a year is not a logical progression in rank. Not only that, but in the episode "The Gamekeeper" we see that Kawalsky was with Jack on a mission in East Germany clear back in 1982, so it makes sense for him to be a major by the late 1990's -- there's no way he'd be a lieutenant. So it's obvious that the series retconned things.
                        You're right. Duh. what was I thinking. I found the info on the ranks from the internet movie database for what its worth. hey, at least I knew the progression was going in the right order, even if i tried to promote Kawalsky a bit quickly there.
                        Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Movie Kawalski was a lieutenant but was apparently wearing the insignia of a lieutenant colonel and show Kawalsky was wearing the insignia of a captain on his BDUs but was apparently a major (with correct insignia on dress blues).

But the whole Kawalsky-thing isn't very correct either, like him working with Jack in 1982 and being friends and all, even naming his son Charlie after him (even though he had a different name in the movie) and yet Kawalsky didn't even know Jack had a kid.

As for the rank progression... well, they did that with Reynolds too and I believe they had military advisers at that time.

The movie may have started it all, but there are far too many differences between the movie and the show to be considered canon. Crossover canon perhaps, but even the Goa'uld don't appear to be the same (with Ra being completely different) so in my opinion you can't claim that Goa'uld (could) take teenagers as hosts because Ra was one in the movie and say it's because it's canon.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Movie Kawalski was a lieutenant but was apparently wearing the insignia of a lieutenant colonel and show Kawalsky was wearing the insignia of a captain on his BDUs but was apparently a major (with correct insignia on dress blues).
                            It's been a while since I watched the film with a close eye to insignia, etc. I'll have to do that again one of these days.

But the whole Kawalsky-thing isn't very correct either, like him working with Jack in 1982 and being friends and all, even naming his son Charlie after him (even though he had a different name in the movie) and yet Kawalsky didn't even know Jack had a kid.
                            Well, a couple of points there. For one thing, it isn't known for sure whether Jack named his son "Charlie" because of Kawalsky or for some other reason. But as for Kawalsky claiming to not know that Jack even had a son, I consider that to simply be a mistake on the part of the writers that wasn't caught during production. Kawalsky being with Jack in 1982 makes loads of sense, whereas the line in COTG does not, so I choose to reject the erroneous line and consider Jack and Kawalsky to have a history going back at least to 1982. Problem solved.

As for the rank progression... well, they did that with Reynolds too and I believe they had military advisers at that time.
                            They actually got quite a bit wrong, IMO, with regard to the military. For example, the whole SGC is top-heavy with commissioned officers in jobs that really wouldn't be held by commissioned officers in real life. I just shrug and try to ignore it.

The movie may have started it all, but there are far too many differences between the movie and the show to be considered canon. Crossover canon perhaps, but even the Goa'uld don't appear to be the same (with Ra being completely different) so in my opinion you can't claim that Goa'uld (could) take teenagers as hosts because Ra was one in the movie and say it's because it's canon.
                            There's actually no reason why Goa'uld couldn't take teenagers as hosts, though, so whatever issues there may be with the film, that's one thing it got neither right nor wrong, IMO.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

sigpic

Comment

agreed. the whole Kawalsky thing is weird and out of place. I'm trying to remember when they got the things that prevented the entire compound from shaking-I'm pretty sure it was in the first season. the ep. just seems awkward and out of place after watching the characters grow.

HAPPY STARGATE REWATCH!

Comment

Well, I was kind of referring to the box sets that you can buy in the stores/online nowadays. The Final Cut is from 2009 so everything bought before 2009 will obviously have the original pilot. But the boxes that are available here aren't from >2009, hence the original pilot isn't in them.

The boxes list the first episode as The Enemy Within, as does my current one, because the pilot is considered to be a separate movie now.
                                I don't know which box set you're talking about, but I bought my second complete set earlier this year and it has the original CotG. In fact I think it would defeat the purpose of the re-release (MGM can make more money off SG1 with little investment) to include the re-cut rather than selling it seperately.

Comment

Working...
                                X