Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if we're touching this topic...

I saw COTG much later than the original 1994 movie, so I just got an impression that Sha'uri and Sha're were 2 different people, I never put an = between them.
    Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vagabond Serpent View Post
      Well, if we're touching this topic...

I saw COTG much later than the original 1994 movie, so I just got an impression that Sha'uri and Sha're were 2 different people, I never put an = between them.
      Which I think goes along with Luna's theory that they can be treated as two different characters. But you still have to equate them somewhat because in CofG when Sam asks Daniel how he met his wife, Jack tells Sam she was a gift from the elders the first night they were there, which was clearly a reference to Shau'ri.

There were drastic differences in character between Jack in the movie and Jack in the series too (differences of which I approve). Did that make it difficult to equate those two characters? Or did the transition seem too abrupt? At one point I would have answered yes. But I think RDA's performance does bring out some of the Kurt Russell character (and then pushes it aside) while making a transition to someone a little less stern. And Jack's character journey throughout the movie suggests he would be less stern and more hopeful a year down the line. So I'm good with the transition.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
        Which I think goes along with Luna's theory that they can be treated as two different characters. But you still have to equate them somewhat because in CofG when Sam asks Daniel how he met his wife, Jack tells Sam she was a gift from the elders the first night they were there, which was clearly a reference to Shau'ri.

There were drastic differences in character between Jack in the movie and Jack in the series too (differences of which I approve). Did that make it difficult to equate those two characters? Or did the transition seem too abrupt? At one point I would have answered yes. But I think RDA's performance does bring out some of the Kurt Russell character (and then pushes it aside) while making a transition to someone a little less stern. And Jack's character journey throughout the movie suggests he would be less stern and more hopeful a year down the line. So I'm good with the transition.
        The Jack change was a bit of a shock at first. He was more controlled in the movie and less talkative, but after a near death experience with aliens, who knows what that would do to you. So I'm okay with Jack 'lightening up' for the series. For me Jack was another natural progression.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Ah the very first episode.

Hulu works wonders.

Comment

I guess some sense was lost in translation of my post, since even if I think in English I've Russian thoughts. What I wanted to say was that Shau'ri and Sha're were the same persons of course, but the difference in their tempers made them different characters for me.

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
            The Jack change was a bit of a shock at first. He was more controlled in the movie and less talkative, but after a near death experience with aliens, who knows what that would do to you. So I'm okay with Jack 'lightening up' for the series. For me Jack was another natural progression.
            Agree. That change was natural and good, upgrading movie O'Neil to series O'Neill.

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
            Ah the very first episode.
            Maybe. But I watched it nearly the very last one.
            Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Hello, I think that this pilot was a great start of TV show called Stargate SG - 1. I enjoyed it and it is one of the most frequented episode in my home cinema
              Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
              / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

There is an awesome framed shot, looking through the Stargate at the Goa'uld group before they go through the gate near the end.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

When I was like, five, I watched the first movie and I didn't remember anything. Now I watched this episode and I rewacthed the movie and... totally fantastic.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Greetings, Stargate fans.
                    Since this is my first post on GW forum, I thought I should begin with the episode that started the best series ever made, no matter the genre.
                    I have been a SF fan my whole life...I remember, back when I was just 10 y.o. or so, looking at Captain Picard with that "stuck look", for hours, trying to catch his gestures , his voice tone, even though I did not speak english in that period.
                    And....when in 1996 I saw the first SG movie...it was like a blow in the head.
                    Of course , that changed when I first saw COTG...I knew that this was only "the begginig of a beautiful friendship".
                    The plot, the worlds, the actors...they were all perfect for me.
                    Even the " spicy" scence has it's role....my personal opinion is that it has been inserted for us to aknowledge the real dimension of the problem an the truth about the cruel world of the goa'uld.
                    And now....after so many episodes of SG-1 series, after so many episodes of SG-A, after 2 movies and a remake, and after the new SG-U series....I'm STILL the same fan that I was from the begining.
                    My love never fade out and it will never fade.
                    My wife became a fan...so will my kids, because the legacy of SG should stretch beyond our generation.

Indeed, we are fortunate ones, to live the life of our heroes.

Comment

This is likewise my first time to be in this forum. Moreover, I have just begun watching Stargate.

(I just finished a Doctor Who marathon from the 1963 season through the 2010 season and on to Sarah Jane and Torchwood, so I was in a mood for more classic science fiction television.)

I was very much impressed by this first episode of the whole series. It meshed well with the movie, maintaining several characters and locations, many details of costume and decoration and the overall story.

The story itself was gripping. The implantation of Share and her brother; the turning of Tealc; the running battle with the Jaffar at the end.

The actors all did a good job with their characters (certainly as good as the movie, which was no Cannes nominee), although I prefered the even less rugged look of Daniel Jackson from the movie. (And how does Christopher Judge hold that grimace on his face so long in every episode? That hurts my facial muscles!) Share's scene elevated the show from mere television to cinema a la francaise.

None of the small discrepancies about costume, stargate operation and alien races bothered me at all: I am too used to the fantastic, otherworldy disregard of Doctor Who.

Comment

I am sorry to hop in. My sons and I have loved watching Stargate Atlantis on Netflix and we are almost done with the seasons. We tried one episode of SG-1 and wowser this nude scene hit us in the face. Stargate Atlantis was pretty clean, nudity and sex wise. Can one of you tell me about SG-1 and the other Stargates ? Should I give SG-1 another chance ? We really like our science fiction.

thanks so much!

Comment

The original uncut version of COTG is the only one with full nudity.
                          It was filmed at the time to please the Showtime Channel ,and not because BW and the other writers wanted those scenes included so a re-cut /edited version was eventually released a year or so ago.
                          Most Tv channels cut the naughtier scenes out anyway.

I'd definitely advise giving SG1 another chance ,but depending on how young your sons are ,you might want to view eps in advance ,or just sit with them to assess whether you all feel comfortable viewing as a family.

When my kids were young I used to sit perched with the ff button on standby ,but I can't speak for every parent obviously.

Idea : check out the GW Episode guides and screencap galleries on the Homesite ,but only if you aren't worried about avoiding spoilers .
                          *SPOILERS*
                          Season one Episode main Links and ep teasers

*SPOILERS *
                          Intro-page to Season One Screencaps
                          Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 January 2011, 12:39 AM.
                          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by cheesemom View Post
                            I am sorry to hop in. My sons and I have loved watching Stargate Atlantis on Netflix and we are almost done with the seasons. We tried one episode of SG-1 and wowser this nude scene hit us in the face. Stargate Atlantis was pretty clean, nudity and sex wise. Can one of you tell me about SG-1 and the other Stargates ? Should I give SG-1 another chance ? We really like our science fiction.

thanks so much!
                            Yes...my husband and I had been fans of SG-1 for a long time and went back via Netflix to watch all of the SG-1 episodes since Christmas and we were surprised by the nude scene in Children of the Gods. I don't know if TV channels had edited out that scene or what, but our daughter was watching with us. We were disappointed. To answer your question -please give SG1 another chance. I can't think of any other issues like that -and we had our daughter watch the rest of the episodes with us. The episode "Broca Divide" which is also season 1 features Carter in a tank top passionately kissing O'Neill, but he stops her...depending on how young the kids are you might avoid that ep. but the rest are pretty clean. It's a great show. So sorry the scene in the pilot almost ruined it for you.
                            sigpic
                            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

The conference room scene where Jack O'Neill and Sam Carter first meet...snarky comments, arm wrestling, "she's smarter than you are" comments...pure poetry. Makes me happy!
                              sigpic
                              sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                              "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

I just started rewatching SG-1, and I think I've spotted a familiar (and unexpected) face. I can't find any reference to him in the credits though.

I'm talking about the soldier manning the turret at 18m 55s. Does anyone else think this might be a young David Blue (Eli Wallace)?

[Screencap]

Comment

Working...
                                X