No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having never seen SG-1 (the early seasons that is) till last night, I have to say I was surprised at the nudity in CotG. What's with the complaints on sex in SGU when we have actual nudity in SG-1?
    sigpic
    Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

I think Apophis should buy a false moustache.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Like in that alternate reality version?? Actually, he looked better with them, imo!!
        Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chel Nak View Post
          I just watched the "final cut" and the signs are more obvious. Here's a fans view on Teal'cs thoughts before he turns.
          http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionms/prisoners.html
          Taking only the movie into consideration with COTG. I always got the impression that Teal'c knew the history of Earth from the "Where are you from" conversation (not to mention that he went there at the start of the ep and they had to retreat). It was obvious to me that he knew the symbol as soon as Daniel drew it and then the conversation was over. Maybe he heard that the people on Earth overthrew Re and buried the gate. Then they met them two more times, on Earth and Abydos and had gun battles. Surley that may have given him hope that they could do it. Also there were shots of Teal'c looking hopeless and then there was the shaking of his head that seemed to give Jack the idea to ask him for help.

But that's just my thoughts on that...
          Last edited by Lunaeclipse; 12 January 2011, 07:48 PM.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Anyone wonder why they changed Sha'uri (sha-ow-re) to Sha're (Sha -ray)? In COTG Skaara still pronouces it like in the movie, but everyone else changes it. Was it too hard to pronounce? This bothers me on a really stupid level where I think Daniel, living with them for as long as he did, should've been pronouncing it the same was as the Abydonians.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I bet thier are legal reasons. Maybe Devline/Emmenrich own creative license to the Sha'uri name
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I also wondered about that..
                My first thought, too, were copyright reasons..
                because they also changed O'Neil to O'Neill an Tyler to Charlie (- Tyler)..
                But then, why did they keep Daniel Jackson? Or Skaara? (what's a more unusual name, and therefore would be more likely (is that spelled right?) to be copyrighted..)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post
                  I also wondered about that..
                  My first thought, too, were copyright reasons..
                  because they also changed O'Neil to O'Neill an Tyler to Charlie (- Tyler)..
                  But then, why did they keep Daniel Jackson? Or Skaara? (what's a more unusual name, and therefore would be more likely (is that spelled right?) to be copyrighted..)
                  Is there anything cannon that says Jack's name with two ls or just the episode Secrets. I always thought in Secrets that the writers/people were referencing the Jack O'Neil from the movie, who seemed to have no sense of humour.

I noticed the Tyler/Charlie thing too and agree. Why can they use those names and not some of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                    Is there anything cannon that says Jack's name with two ls or just the episode Secrets. I always thought in Secrets that the writers/people were referencing the Jack O'Neil from the movie, who seemed to have no sense of humour.
                    Well, you often see his Name written, but except for that, I think it doesn't matter, at least not for the story.
                    Yes, I thought of the movie-Jack, too. (and even though I don't understand the change.. this scene was worth it )
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma626 View Post
                      Having never seen SG-1 (the early seasons that is) till last night, I have to say I was surprised at the nudity in CotG. What's with the complaints on sex in SGU when we have actual nudity in SG-1?
                      Remember this show originally aired on Showtime, and I've read that it was the network who insisted on the nudity. Brad Wright didn't want it; so when he released a new version of CotG last year he cut it out.

Comment

Anyone wonder why they changed Sha'uri (sha-ow-re) to Sha're (Sha -ray)? In COTG Skaara still pronouces it like in the movie, but everyone else changes it. Was it too hard to pronounce? This bothers me on a really stupid level where I think Daniel, living with them for as long as he did, should've been pronouncing it the same was as the Abydonians.
                        They changed more than her name; they completely changed her character, and much for the worse in my opinion. The original Sha'uri was strong and smart and brave. This one was dumb and dependent. She came off at best like a silly frightened little girl and at worst like a bimbo. What we saw on screen of her didn't even jive with how Daniel described her later in the episode. He said that while everyone was fawning all over him, Sha're would poke fun at him and keep him grounded. But in the pyramid scene she's clinging to him and fawning all over him. Everyone else seems respectful, but normal.

Comment

So I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on which is better, the original or the recut?

I've compared them quite alot trying to decide and there are things I like about both. For the most part, I think the newer version is an improvement over the original. There are more close ups and reaction shots that I think lends to the characterization. The new version has much better pacing and a tighter battle sequence. The effects are updated and even some new CG ships are added. It also puts more focus on Teal'c's arc and allows you to see his doubts leading up to his final change of alligence.

There are a few things I miss. I think quite a lot of the banter between Jack and Sam was cut, and I really like those moments (don't hate me because I'm a shipper). I also think that as sensible as it was to remove some of the scenes with Hammond back at the SGC, I don't think we get as good a sense of the kind of compassionate leader we have in Hammond (he seems much tougher and more no nonsense in the episode as a whole, especially after these cuts. Thankfully, that side of him is brought to fore sooner rather than later.

And as much as I like how they brought foreward Teal'c's character in the recut, I think BW took out a couple of critical moments. There is a reaction shot in the prison on Chulak when Daniel says, "Something of the host must survive" that shows Jack noticing Teal'c looking down and shaking his head with regret that BW did not include in the new version. I think this was a mistake, because this moment demonstrates that Jack's plea to Teal'c to help him "save these people" was not without a foundation of hope. Jack recognized Teal'c's vulnerability and it led Jack to pushing Teal'c into making his very critical choice to throw his lot in with Jack.

Also the moment at the end when Teal'c hands his staff weapon to Sam was taken out. I love that moment. It is so poignent for me. Teal'c is surrendering his weapon to the enemy of his god and placing himself entirely in their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                            They changed more than her name; they completely changed her character, and much for the worse in my opinion. The original Sha'uri was strong and smart and brave. This one was dumb and dependent. She came off at best like a silly frightened little girl and at worst like a bimbo. What we saw on screen of her didn't even jive with how Daniel described her later in the episode. He said that while everyone was fawning all over him, Sha're would poke fun at him and keep him grounded. But in the pyramid scene she's clinging to him and fawning all over him. Everyone else seems respectful, but normal.
                            I agree totally. That is the reason I adore the Sha'uri from the movie and I wasn't so interested in the series version. I almost refer to them as two seperate characters, using the pronounciation to show the difference. If I say Sha're it's the series and if I say Sha'uri it's the movie one. Also in the movie she was the stronger older sister and in the series it was like Skaara became like the older sibling. Although I like the change for Skaara, it didn't work for me with Sha're. Sha'uri was independant, (quietly) strong, smart, brave and was the one who 'led' the rebellion with Skaara. After all it was here that explained the story from the catacombs to Skaara and the others.

Comment

I agree totally. That is the reason I adore the Sha'uri from the movie and I wasn't so interested in the series version. I almost refer to them as two seperate characters, using the pronounciation to show the difference. If I say Sha're it's the series and if I say Sha'uri it's the movie one. Also in the movie she was the stronger older sister and in the series it was like Skaara became like the older sibling. Although I like the change for Skaara, it didn't work for me with Sha're. Sha'uri was independant, (quietly) strong, smart, brave and was the one who 'led' the rebellion with Skaara. After all it was here that explained the story from the catacombs to Skaara and the others.
                              I hadn't really noticed the change with Skaara, but I guess that's because it worked with his character.

Totally agree with your view of Sha'uri and Sha're, and love your description of her, especially the bolded par (quietly strong is a wonderfully vivid summary of her character).

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                                I hadn't really noticed the change with Skaara, but I guess that's because it worked with his character.

Totally agree with your view of Sha'uri and Sha're, and love your description of her, especially the bolded par (quietly strong is a wonderfully vivid summary of her character).
                                I think Skaara's change flowed nicely . He started off young and kinda innocent, but after the battle with Re, he had lost his friend and has witnessed a lot. If he had not grown from that his character would have been less real. It was like his character developed and Sha're's devolved...
                                I had no choice but to add the brackets. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X