No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm halfway through CotG, final cut. I watched the original on saturday. Don't forget the new music. I like this new soundtrack.

Comment

loved how Teal'c protects the woman.

but, Hammy letting them take her through the gate unchallenged?? didn't fit with the man we came to know!!

was our Jacky though! making his little faces on the elevator and all!! heteehee!!

forgot they had to adjust the gate to prevent the frosty effect!

teehee!!
      Last edited by aintright; August 1, 2011, 09:23 PM.
      sigpic
      SCORE!!
      The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Originally posted by lookupwardsnshare View Post
        I dont know if this was answered elsewhere, but why did they re-edit the original ep and remove/change so much on the newer final cut version that was re-released? I'm glad i have the original.
        Brad Wright decided he could do it better if he edited the movie and did it the way he wanted to from the beginning, except that in the beginning ShowTime insisted on it being done the way they wanted it.

Personally, I don't think Brad did such a great job of editing it, since he left in some things that didn't make sense without some of the stuff he removed.

Comment

Just finished a late night viewing of CotG. Really strong episode. I was afraid with ten years of story and character development that the pilot wouldn't be that interesting. I liked the shot of Jack through the event horizon before he tossed the tissue box in. I don't remember ever getting that view again in future episodes. Couple of exchanges that made me laugh -

Samuels: "Kinda wish I was going with you."
          Kawaklski: "I'm kinda glad you're staying behind."

Teal'c: "I have no where to go."
          Jack: "For this you can stay at my place."

Looking forward to episode 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
            I watched COTG today (despite being in the middle of a kitchen reno), the Final Cut, with commentary.

I think the changes they made were good ones. It's tighter and taking out Sam's cringe-worthy line about reproductive organs was brilliant.

They explained the removal of the McGyver line as done since many new viewers (twelve years later) might not know who McGyver was.
            I didn't know who McGuyvver was even back in the late 90s.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Oh, come on, in some parts of the world Macgyver was as legendary as Chuck Norris

Sorry Chuck, I didn't mean that
              sigpic

Comment

Watched the 'Final Cut' version for the first time ever....actually enjoyed it very much. Felt like a feature, which I guess was the point...all-in-all, solid start to the series, and already made me forget about the film (although the original film was great - the series is even greater).
                sigpic
                Jack: Uhh, Daniel - for cryin' out loud!!, I said I would watch the Stanley Cup playoffs with you!
                Is all this necessary??!?

Comment

Originally posted by muziqaz View Post
                  Oh, come on, in some parts of the world Macgyver was as legendary as Chuck Norris

Sorry Chuck, I didn't mean that
                  Pfft, MacGyver's better than Chuck Norris.
                  And yes, I would say that to his face.
                  "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                  "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                  "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                  "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                  >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                    very brave indeed
                    sigpic

Comment

Lots of little differences in the Final Cut, never even noticed the three different puddle effects in the original COTG.

Found it odd that Apophis would spend so much time accompanying his troops, not just in COTG but also in subsequent episodes, you would think that a System Lord would be a little less hands-on and remain behind.

Forgot how much I liked the old armor. When I first saw this I was let down by it, thinking that the armor from the movie was much cooler....but the ones worn by Apophis and his troops actually makes sense.

Ra's men wouldn't need a great deal of protection, it was inconceivable that they would encounter resistance anywhere. In fact, I'd say that the movie armor was more ceremonial than anything else.

With Ra's death there is now chaos in the galaxy as the remaining System Lords vie for supremacy. A more dangerous galaxy requires better armament and equipment, thus the bulkier armor for the Jaffa.

Also, hearing Teal'c's dialogue in the original....it sounds like it was also redone. When you watch the special features on the Final Cut you see a clip of a freezing-cold Christopher Judge give a very Yul Brenner like performance....you can definitely see why they would have wished to re do that, but the dialogue from the original DVD release of COTG isn't bad at all, it seem that this is the second time they've re-dubbed it.

So that's TWO viewings of COTG, original DVD release and the Final Cut.....but I forgot that RDA and Brad Wright also provided commentary so while I get some paperwork done here I'll have that on in the background....

And then finally this afternoon it's on to The Enemy Within
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                        I started see SG just 'cause my brother told me that's MacGyver was the principal role... (I'm not sure if it's correctly write...)
                        You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body
                        C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet: "They explained the removal of the McGyver line as done since many new viewers (twelve years later) might not know who McGyver was."
                          I like the MacGyver reference in Children of the Gods but I didn't know who RDA or MacGyver were when I started watching Stargate. My mom had to point it out. Then I watched a MacGyver DVD so I knew who he was. The Farscape actors got me into Stargate so I wasn't even familiar with the character of O'Neill. I still think the MacGyver reference is a good part of RDA's introduction to Stargate.
                          Last edited by hermantheowl; August 6, 2011, 01:15 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Ok. Starting my ReWatch a day later than planned. Major glitch? My dvd player stopped working! AAGH! Thank goodness it wasn't the Stargate disc.

Well, that's what computers are for. So.

Haven't seen the original tv version since I watched the new hi-def-falutin' stand alone version. Got an instant thrill of expectation as the camera's overhead view pulls in on the poker game.

Always wondered why the lone female of the group was the only one to feel the strangeness in the air. If the others were so used to the place, why didn't they? Maybe she had a premonition.

And I don't think I've seen any SGC personnel so stymied that they froze in action the way these guys did. The one who initiated the red alert finally got back to it later than he should have. Even if the gate was inactive for a long period, it seems some kind of protocol would be in place if it activated. The soldiers here lost precious minutes gawking at the wormhole until they were threatened. Then again, what kind of briefing would have prepared them, eh?

Minor stuff. Still a powerful opening, especially for those who'd seen the movie. I was hooked then, and still am.

Well, on with the showing...

Edit: Oops. Just rewound and heard that they didn't know what was under the tarp; according to the female soldier!
                            Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; August 2, 2011, 11:07 AM.
                            MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                            sigpic
                            Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Got some questions that I wondered about.
                              Was there a reason why Teal'c picked the Earth Girl and Share (besides the fact that it continues the story)
                              Since Teal'c thought that nothing of the host survives, was it his way of protecting Apophis from learning more about the Earth? Since all memory would be lost when they became host ? I am sure that he didn't know that the symbiote could access memory.
                              Since Tealc had seen the advance weapons from Earth and Abydos and knew that if Apophis wanted more info, it would have come from the Sargent and Share?
                              Just a thought that came to mind when I rewatched it.
                              no means no, and so does pepper spray
                              Sig by The Carpenter
                              sigpic

Comment

I think it has more to do with Sergeant Ketterings being the only female in the gate room and the humans attacking Apophis and his Jaffa. As for Sha're, I'm not sure how many young women were present in the temple (?) at Abydos when they came through the gate. But in the original pilot you have the harem scene and it looks like they just visited a few dozen planets and took one (or maybe more) young and attractive females with them in the hopes one could serve as host for Apophis' queen, Amaunet.
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X