No announcement yet.

Children of the Gods (101)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why, if Abydos is so much closer to Earth than Chulak, does the wormhole effect from Earth to Abydos last so much longer than the one from Earth to Chulak?
    sigpic
    Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Originally posted by Ulkesh47 View Post
      Why, if Abydos is so much closer to Earth than Chulak, does the wormhole effect from Earth to Abydos last so much longer than the one from Earth to Chulak?
      Cause it was the first time we saw it?
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Signed up just to post this: They cut the best line Sam was ever given. Bah!

Comment

Originally posted by Shootist View Post
          Signed up just to post this: They cut the best line Sam was ever given. Bah!
          You mean they cut the cheesiest, most ridiculous line Sam was ever given.
          We're whalers on the moon,
          We carry a harpoon.
          But there ain't no whales
          So we tell tall tales
          And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Actually, I liked the line. It started the whole sexism thing, which remember, has been a big thing before. At least she acknowledged the issue, rather than not speak at all.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Yeah I'm not too much in favour of the whole thing about Sam babbling on about how she's so much better, had she said nothing I don't think anyone would have made a remark (except o'neill about the doctor part ) But they have to set the characters and she's a strong woman and all that.

A few remarks that have been said before in the thread maybe, but that struck me too
              • How does Apophis leave the first time?
              • Sha're is quite the hotty... I didn't remember nudity...
              • I would've liked more explanation about the iris.

lucky guy! I looked for the screenshots of the nudity (dirty me) but didn't find them, it's all too well

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
              I thought change of heart before killing them came out of nowhere though.
              As a last I have to disagree,

there's subtle giveaways to his doubt: the small nod towards O'neill, the shaking of his head, longer stares
              The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total b*stard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Comment

In the Final Cut edition, they say the gate is dialed manually.
                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Hjalmar View Post
                  Yeah I'm not too much in favour of the whole thing about Sam babbling on about how she's so much better, had she said nothing I don't think anyone would have made a remark (except o'neill about the doctor part ) But they have to set the characters and she's a strong woman and all that.

A few remarks that have been said before in the thread maybe, but that struck me too
                  • How does Apophis leave the first time?
                  • Sha're is quite the hotty... I didn't remember nudity...
                  • I would've liked more explanation about the iris.
                  The bit about the iris has often puzzled me, since in COTG it was in place when the group came back from Abydos with Daniel, and not a word had been said about it prior to them leaving for Abydos. One would think it would have been mentioned to the group before they left, since had they for some reason not been able to send their IDC, they'd have all been splattered on a shield they knew nothing about before they left. And it had to have taken a pretty significant amount of time to make that thing; it isn't the sort of thing that's just produced overnight or in a few days; it had to have been in the works for quite awhile. (Unless I missed some small comment from somebody before O'Neill & group left for Abydos.) They were all so surprised and startled when they came tumbling back through the iris with their injured soldiers and the iris snapped closed behind them, and they were probably thinking "what the blazes is that thing?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hjalmar View Post
                    As a last I have to disagree,

there's subtle giveaways to his doubt: the small nod towards O'neill, the shaking of his head, longer stares
                    I just watched the "final cut" and the signs are more obvious. Here's a fans view on Teal'cs thoughts before he turns.

http://www.stargatefan.com/fictionms/prisoners.html

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      The bit about the iris has often puzzled me, since in COTG it was in place when the group came back from Abydos with Daniel, and not a word had been said about it prior to them leaving for Abydos. One would think it would have been mentioned to the group before they left, since had they for some reason not been able to send their IDC, they'd have all been splattered on a shield they knew nothing about before they left. And it had to have taken a pretty significant amount of time to make that thing; it isn't the sort of thing that's just produced overnight or in a few days; it had to have been in the works for quite awhile. (Unless I missed some small comment from somebody before O'Neill & group left for Abydos.) They were all so surprised and startled when they came tumbling back through the iris with their injured soldiers and the iris snapped closed behind them, and they were probably thinking "what the blazes is that thing?"
                      Keep in mind the government was planning to re-burry or destroy the gate after the Abydos mission, but never got around to it (maybe bureaucratic hold ups or influential generals trying to curry favor with the big wigs to keep it alive, etc.), then Apophis came to Earth and the USAF was forced to reactivate the Stargate program. My guess is that the Iris was probably under construction or not fully functional by the time the emergency mission to Abydos was drawn up. Maybe O'Neill et. al. were there longer than the show implied (partying down with Daniel, sobering up after drinking Skarra's whiskey), giving the engineers back on Earth time to install and test the Iris.

Comment

To be honest i have never really thought much about the Earth Iris... It has sorta always been there.

But I have wondered why they never but irises on the Alpha Site Gates....
                        WereWraith06

<<<I have watched you play with those who would play GOD<<<

A Random but Cool Quote:
                        Spoiler:
                        If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
                        - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Just noticed a huge mistake in the remake - pick the scene where they forgot to put the puddle in the gate...twice!!

(EDIT: After listening to the commentary I think they deliberately left the puddle out in those shots so they could show the gate "off" to explain how they managed to go back through it - ie, can't travel both ways through an open wormhole)

I'm liking it so far, there's a lot of changes, they did cut one line of Sam's that I miss (not the obvious one)
                          Last edited by Tal; August 10, 2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                            Keep in mind the government was planning to re-burry or destroy the gate after the Abydos mission, but never got around to it (maybe bureaucratic hold ups or influential generals trying to curry favor with the big wigs to keep it alive, etc.), then Apophis came to Earth and the USAF was forced to reactivate the Stargate program. My guess is that the Iris was probably under construction or not fully functional by the time the emergency mission to Abydos was drawn up. Maybe O'Neill et. al. were there longer than the show implied (partying down with Daniel, sobering up after drinking Skarra's whiskey), giving the engineers back on Earth time to install and test the Iris.
                            Interesting idea, and certainly possible. But something as important as a shield would be important enough to tell the team that went to Abydos. Even with the little party on Abydos, my impression is they weren't gone longer than say a day at most. They went from the dinner to the cartouche room, and while they were gone, Apophis and crew attacked and kidnapped Ska'ara and Shau're, our group came rushing back immediately after the fire fight, and then back to earth. That iris had to have been at the mountain, waiting to be installed even before the group went to Abydos. Big as it was, it would have taken quite a bit of time to install it and make sure it worked during the time Jack & group were gone. And a day just doesn't seem long enough. Siler is a wonder worker, but with something like that as a big unknown, even he would have had to have a lot of time to get it installed properly.

(btw ... I'm just rambling away here, making suppositions ... )

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              (btw ... I'm just rambling away here, making suppositions ... )
                              Don't we all.

EDIT:
                              I actually just thought of this, perhaps Hammond himself didn't know about the Iris, perhaps after he told Washington that he was sending a team off-world to chase after Apophis the Pentagon or NID or whomever, told him that they had this thing that they wanted to install on the gate to make it more secure. Perhaps they did a lot of R&D on it while they were still figuring out how to use the gate, but when the program was cancelled they just put it into storage. It seems plausible to me because there are many real world experiences where the DoD's right hand has no idea what its left hand is doing.
                              Last edited by jsonitsac; August 10, 2009, 07:22 PM. Reason: Expanding on an idea.

Comment

Ill will never watch the final cut cause i love this episode like just it is. no need to improve it. rewatched it today and its a great way to premier a show (after a movie) lots of action, humor and drama. and i like ms and rda more like kr and js.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X