X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    {snipped}
    Furthermore, how is "I wouldn't be here" lashing out? If his response had been something like "I guess we'll never know NOW...will we, Carter?" THAT would have been lashing out.

{snipped}
    Lashing out by meaning, if things had been different as in if Charlie had still been alive (inferred by earlier statements) then he never would have come back to the SGC and never would have met Sam and he would have been living a happy life as a husband and dad. *Sam knocked out cold by the one-two punch*

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir
      This is exactly how I took it. And I still do. What makes me sad is that there really shouldn't be a million ways to interpret a scene like this. It should have been solid. I haven't seen solid since season 4.
      That's one thing we can be certain about. There shouldn't be a million ways to interpret the scene. Vagueness is what has been driving us crazy! Thank good ness for fan fiction!

Comment

Lashing out by meaning, if things had been different as in if Charlie had still been alive (inferred by earlier statements) then he never would have come back to the SGC and never would have met Sam and he would have been living a happy life as a husband and dad. *Sam knocked out cold by the one-two punch*
        ?

When was Charlie mentioned or even inferred?

++++++++++++++++++++++

SGC. SAM’S LAB. Sam is sitting looking at her laptop. Jack comes to the door.
        O’NEILL: Carter.
        CARTER: Sir.
        O’NEILL: I never thought I’d hear myself utter these words: I need that report.
        CARTER: Right! Um, I just need to, er, finish typing up my notes. (She rummages through the paperwork on the desk.) Uh, yeah, I’ll have it for you first thing tomorrow.
        (Jack looks at his watch.)
        O’NEILL: It is tomorrow.
        CARTER (looking at her own watch): Oh.
        O’NEILL: I’m joking! I don’t need the report!
        CARTER: Well, then, why ...?
        O’NEILL (interrupting): Because something’s going on with you. You haven’t tried to confuse me with any scientific babble for the last couple of days and that’s a red flag to me.
        (Sam sighs, then picks up the box containing the engagement ring and hands it to Jack.)
        CARTER: Pete gave me this.
        (Jack takes the box, opens it and looks at the ring, then looks at Sam.)
        O’NEILL: People normally wear these on their fingers.
        CARTER: I haven’t said yes.
        O’NEILL: And yet – you haven’t said no. (He snaps the box shut.)
        CARTER: I told him I needed to think about it.
        O’NEILL: And? (He puts the box on the desk.)
        CARTER: That was two weeks ago.
        O’NEILL: Ah!
        CARTER: Y’know, all these years I’ve been concentrating on work – I just assumed that one day I would ...
        O’NEILL: Have a life?
        CARTER: Yeah!
        O’NEILL: Yeah.
        CARTER: And now it comes down to it, I don’t know. I mean, every time we go through the Gate, we risk not coming back. Is it fair to put somebody else through that?
        O’NEILL: Pete is a cop – I think he could handle it.
        CARTER: What about kids?
        O’NEILL: What about ‘em?
        CARTER: Do I take maternity leave and then come back? What, do I drop the baby off at daycare on my way to some unexplored planet on the edge of the Crab Nebula?
        O’NEILL: Carter, there are people on this base who have families.
        (Sam thinks for a moment, then looks into Jack’s eyes.)
        CARTER: What about you? If things had been different ... (she trails off.)
        (Jack looks at her for a moment.)
        O’NEILL: I wouldn’t be here.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I just don't see it folks. I don't see him lashing out here. He accidentally slipped for a moment by the way he says "and yet you haven't said no" but the rest of the time he's trying to wear the "supportive friend" hat that he thinks he has to wear with her since he can't be anything else because of their ranks/working relationship.

And why would he snap at her? Why would he lash out? He wouldn't have the right to do so and he knew that. And although it hurt him to consider her with someone else, he didn't have the right to explore a relationship with her or she with him at that time and they had no way of knowing how soon the danger would pass...for all they knew, the danger would continue throughout the rest of their lives. So what...was she to wait for all eternity to be with him...to hope for an end to the danger so she could move on from the SGC so she could explore a relationship with him in the who-knows-how-distant future...or should she try a relationship with someone now and try to find some sort of personal fulfillment? Neither she nor Jack were free to do so with each other because they had both chosen duty over personal interest...to put the sake of the galaxy before their own personal desires.

My interpretation keeps that in mind...that they're both continuing at the SGC because of the threat of the Goa'uld and the replicators...but if things had been different...he "wouldn't be there."

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I'm not into fan fiction. No offense to the writers, I do read it sometimes, but the real show should do it for me. I shouldn't have to rely on the fans to satisfy me. Then what's the point of the show?

Comment

?

{snipped}
            See, that's the problem I have. It's all in the interpretation. When Sam mentions kids then Jack talks about families then Sam asks about if things were different and Jack says (it hurts too much to repeat it). That whole conversation led me on a perspective of Jack's and that was meaning if Jack still had his kid (Charlie) then he would still have his family (Sara) and then he wouldn't (Ow! I can't say it).

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
              That's one thing we can be certain about. There shouldn't be a million ways to interpret the scene. Vagueness is what has been driving us crazy! Thank good ness for fan fiction!
              and this ambiguous/vagueness crap has carried over to the 'who's in command of sg1', 'what's sam and jack's statis', and 'where's jack' questions in season 9.

well, i guess they thought it worked so well with s/j ship all these years (you know, ignoring things and/or making things be multi readable), they figured why stop now.

*sigh*

i think, though, it's coming back and biting them in the a$$ this season.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

i never felt/saw that as jack lashing out at sam. yeah, it could be read many different ways (poo on the writers for doing that), but i never even considered jack lashing out. i guess that's just another interpretation to be taken from it.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                  Lexa Jayde, CONGRATS ON 500 POSTS!!!
                  THANKS!!!
                  i love you guys!!!!! <3
                  ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

I'm not into fan fiction. No offense to the writers, I do read it sometimes, but the real show should do it for me. I shouldn't have to rely on the fans to satisfy me. Then what's the point of the show?
                    that's how i feel too. that's why when i read someone say, 'well, if the show won't do it, just write it or read it in fanction'. for me, that's a substitution to what the *show* should be doing. i adore fanfiction with all my heart, but it's just a substitution for me... i need to SEE what i've been waiting for for years.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

See, that's the problem I have. It's all in the interpretation. When Sam mentions kids then Jack talks about families then Sam asks about if things were different and Jack says (it hurts too much to repeat it). That whole conversation led me on a perspective of Jack's and that was meaning if Jack still had his kid (Charlie) then he would still have his family (Sara) and then he wouldn't (Ow! I can't say it).
                      Take heart, Uh Sir.

She asked what would she do if she and Pete had kids and Jack responded that there are other SGC team members who have families and they still go offworld...not that he was somehow harkening back to Charlie. But really, Sam isn't tying one thing into the other, as in the kids question to the if things were different question.

She was throwing out a bunch of bogus reasons as to why she's doubting her relationship with Pete because the real reason was too volatile of a topic. What if my job's too dangerous...What about kids... etc. But then she pauses and dives in to that volatile topic after all...the real heart of the matter...the real reason she hadn't accepted Pete's proposal..."What about YOU?"

But because of their regulation issues, she doesn't ask him flat out in the same blunt manner she could talk to her hallucination of him. So instead, she's careful.

So...What about you? What about what we said aloud four years ago? What if things had been different and the threats were gone and we didn't have to be here anymore? Would there be a reason for me to not accept Pete's proposal if you and I were free from our obligations here? Would I regret it if we were to conquer our foes after all and finally would be allowed to move on from here but by then it would be too late because I'd be married to Pete?

So Jack responded in kind. If things were different and we didn't have these obligations, I wouldn't be here because I'd want the chance to explore a relationship with you too.

But of course it was a what if scenario. Sam had no way of knowing how close they were to defeating the Goa'uld and Replicators. She figured that was a nice fantasy but the reality was she'd always have those obligations...so why not "have a life" with Pete since she could never have Jack because they'd be obligated to their work for an undefined amount of time...plus Pete seemed to be able to handle the pressures of her job.

So she accepted Pete's proposal but started doubting her decision quickly thereafter...especially in Threads as the bulk of her obligations with regard to the Goa'uld and Replicators had been taken care of and the sound of her fears about committing to Pete echoed louder and louder in her mind...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

what if, going with this same theme, jack was saying he wouldn't be there because family would come first and he'd always choose it over the stargate program? OR, what if he was saying to sam that IF they got together, he wouldn't be there because he'd be at home taking care of the kids?

i know that sam gave a multi meaning look back to him (did i mention i want to swat the writers for this?), but that can also be taken with with a, 'well what the heck did that mean?'...

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

i so wanted sam and jack together in nseason 9... even if it was just a line here and there. nothing over the top....gggrrr
                          ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

?

++++++++++++++++++++++

SGC. SAM’S LAB. Sam is sitting looking at her laptop. Jack comes to the door.
                            O’NEILL: Carter.
                            CARTER: Sir.
                            O’NEILL: I never thought I’d hear myself utter these words: I need that report.
                            CARTER: Right! Um, I just need to, er, finish typing up my notes. (She rummages through the paperwork on the desk.) Uh, yeah, I’ll have it for you first thing tomorrow.
                            (Jack looks at his watch.)
                            O’NEILL: It is tomorrow.
                            CARTER (looking at her own watch): Oh.
                            O’NEILL: I’m joking! I don’t need the report!
                            CARTER: Well, then, why ...?
                            O’NEILL (interrupting): Because something’s going on with you. You haven’t tried to confuse me with any scientific babble for the last couple of days and that’s a red flag to me.
                            (Sam sighs, then picks up the box containing the engagement ring and hands it to Jack.)
                            CARTER: Pete gave me this.
                            (Jack takes the box, opens it and looks at the ring, then looks at Sam.)
                            O’NEILL: People normally wear these on their fingers.
                            CARTER: I haven’t said yes.
                            O’NEILL: And yet – you haven’t said no. (He snaps the box shut.)
                            CARTER: I told him I needed to think about it.
                            O’NEILL: And? (He puts the box on the desk.)
                            CARTER: That was two weeks ago.
                            O’NEILL: Ah!
                            CARTER: Y’know, all these years I’ve been concentrating on work – I just assumed that one day I would ...
                            O’NEILL: Have a life?
                            CARTER: Yeah!
                            O’NEILL: Yeah.
                            CARTER: And now it comes down to it, I don’t know. I mean, every time we go through the Gate, we risk not coming back. Is it fair to put somebody else through that?
                            O’NEILL: Pete is a cop – I think he could handle it.
                            CARTER: What about kids?
                            O’NEILL: What about ‘em?
                            CARTER: Do I take maternity leave and then come back? What, do I drop the baby off at daycare on my way to some unexplored planet on the edge of the Crab Nebula?
                            O’NEILL: Carter, there are people on this base who have families.
                            (Sam thinks for a moment, then looks into Jack’s eyes.)
                            CARTER: What about you? If things had been different ... (she trails off.)
                            (Jack looks at her for a moment.)
                            O’NEILL: I wouldn’t be here.

++++++++++++++++++++++

I just don't see it folks. I don't see him lashing out here. He accidentally slipped for a moment by the way he says "and yet you haven't said no" but the rest of the time he's trying to wear the "supportive friend" hat that he thinks he has to wear with her since he can't be anything else because of their ranks/working relationship.

And why would he snap at her? Why would he lash out? He wouldn't have the right to do so and he knew that. And although it hurt him to consider her with someone else, he didn't have the right to explore a relationship with her or she with him at that time and they had no way of knowing how soon the danger would pass...for all they knew, the danger would continue throughout the rest of their lives. So what...was she to wait for all eternity to be with him...to hope for an end to the danger so she could move on from the SGC so she could explore a relationship with him in the who-knows-how-distant future...or should she try a relationship with someone now and try to find some sort of personal fulfillment? Neither she nor Jack were free to do so with each other because they had both chosen duty over personal interest...to put the sake of the galaxy before their own personal desires.

My interpretation keeps that in mind...that they're both continuing at the SGC because of the threat of the Goa'uld and the replicators...but if things had been different...he "wouldn't be there."
                            Again, liking your interpretation much more than the one I had. I just explained mine to point out how confused the scene left me at first. I agree with UhSir that it shouldn't be so vague. But I prefer your interpretation.

Comment

Originally posted by &#220;berSG-1Fan
                              She was throwing out a bunch of bogus reasons as to why she's doubting her relationship with Pete because the real reason was too volatile of a topic. What if my job's too dangerous...What about kids... etc. But then she pauses and dives in to that volatile topic after all...the real heart of the matter...the real reason she hadn't accepted Pete's proposal..."What about YOU?"

But because of their regulation issues, she doesn't ask him flat out in the same blunt manner she could talk to her hallucination of him. So instead, she's careful.

So...What about you? What about what we said aloud four years ago? What if things had been different and the threats were gone and we didn't have to be here anymore? Would there be a reason for me to not accept Pete's proposal if you and I were free from our obligations here? Would I regret it if we were to conquer our foes after all and finally would be allowed to move on from here but by then it would be too late because I'd be married to Pete?

So Jack responded in kind. If things were different and we didn't have these obligations, I wouldn't be here because I'd want the chance to explore a relationship with you too.

But of course it was a what if scenario. Sam had no way of knowing how close they were to defeating the Goa'uld and Replicators. She figured that was a nice fantasy but the reality was she'd always have those obligations...so why not "have a life" with Pete since she could never have Jack because they'd be obligated to their work for an undefined amount of time...plus Pete seemed to be able to handle the pressures of her job.

So she accepted Pete's proposal but started doubting her decision quickly thereafter...especially in Threads as the bulk of her obligations with regard to the Goa'uld and Replicators had been taken care of and the sound of her fears about committing to Pete echoed louder and louder in her mind...
                              Ok, I no longer just prefer your interpretation. I agree with it 100% (hook, line and sinker!). It was vaguely put, but you have rinally gotten to the bottom of what was said, and I think you're right. We misunderstood initially. Thank goodness our stubborn little pain in the mikta was determined to figure it all out!
                              Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 14 November 2005, 11:15 AM.

Comment

U is for Understanding

SuSiE_SG1
                                Major Sam/Jack Shipper!

Comment

Working...
                                X