This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI SHIP FAMILY

I cant belive i missed METAMORPHISIS today i missed seeing the bit when Sam rests her head on Jack's shoulder just like on BTS DO'H!

I watched POV before going to work i love that scene when Au Sam is talking to Jack in the guest qurters it's so nice but sad to same with the bit at the end

I hope we get to see a kiss like in POV in CONTINUM but longer SWEET
    sigpic
    (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

[quote=Gatetrixer;7597015]This is very interesting subject. Not so much to me as to why the different reactions to two characters by the same actor, but the fact that quite often female fans do not want a favorite male character to "settle down." Better go OT as this is long.
      Spoiler:
      I doubt this is something pertaining to a certain era. I did not watch MacGyver until I became a fan of SG, then started taping them on whatever cable channel was showing them. Over halfway through I noticed the propensity to "kill off" or otherwise dispose of his female friends. One became a nun! Anyway, I asked on the GW Jack thread if anyone there could tell me if he ever did "get the girl." A noted Mac and RDA fan, answered. No. It just wouldn't do for a character like Mac, travelling over the world, mostly by himself , to have to come home to a certain partner. He needed to be footloose and fancy free for the stories. Plus she also mentioned the fans wanted him that way. I've noted it's also that way with fans of actors and/or star athletes. They often don't like it when he marries. Quite often they denegrate his choice. I think it would be fun to see a psychological study on this.. I think some female fans, visualize themselves someday meeting the actor or star. They'd like him still to be single possibly imagining themselves impressing him, though very likely it is not a conscious thought. Even if it's just a character ( like Mac) rather than a real person, I think the thought processes are similar. However many of the older comic book characters,& older shows' male heroes had a special girl, but nothing overt happened, both due to earlier constraints on showing sex and because their hero status prevented any settling down. They just happily fought the bad guys together or else the hero kept rescuing her. Well, I've gone on too long, but I'm sure Mac was not the only TV hero the fans didn't want to keep one girlfriend too long, though I can't name another one right now. I wonder if early Daniel fans (not J/D types) weren't all that sorry they didn't have to worry about Shar'e ever coming back. Now why no such worries about Jack? Who knows if there weren't some early on? But I really don't have any theories yet about that.
      quote]

Have had lots of interesting responses to this question. Thanks everyone

Spoiler:

Yes, I see that some fans are like that, I’m sure I remember some members of ‘boy bands’ keeping engagements/marriages secret in case it affected their record sales!

About Jack, personally I don’t recall hearing about of feeling that he should stay single. Maybe the fact that he had been in a longish marriage and had had a son before we met him made him a different kettle of fish from Mac? Also, I agree that having Sam as part of the team from the start enabled us to ‘get to know’ them both at the same time and see the ship grow over a period of time, not the case with Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
        Oh and I don't know if I said this before, but

Welcome to the thread, jumble65!!!
        Hope you keep hanging around and have fun posting!
        Thanks *waves*

I'm really enjoying being here, but, sheesh! this must be the most prolific thread on the net! Seem to be spending all my time trying to keep up but hey, its fun

Comment

starlover1990;7597320]

I was thinking the same. It's especially the age difference...and maybe also the thing that RDA has to play...maybe in SG1 he isn't that much of a bachelor then in Mcgyver...but I can't really say that since I've never seen Mcgyver...

But what you say it's the age difference

Whaaaaat? never seen MacGyver.......(deep breath, deep breath)

Ok, back on track, I hadn't seen him myself until a few months ago and then watched all seven seasons one after another, so I got a bit of an overdose It's right what you said, Mac was put across as much more of a bachelor than Jack, probably because he was so much younger. Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
            Melissa...have enough people responded to set the date for Valenship Day? And as this is my first one, I'm assuming it's like Shipmas and Shipsgiving and Ship Day...am I right?
            Yes, I think so. Saturday, February the 9th is the date, 12-midnight to 12-midnight, Eastern Standard (U. S) Time. starlover1990 is making the invitation...and it will be posted as soon as it is ready.

And yes, it's like our other holidays...S/J shippy goodness related to that holiday.

I love our special days!

And BTW:

Congratulations, mara-anni, on 3,300 posts!!!

Congratultions, AstraPerAspera, on 3,200 posts!!!
            Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 21 January 2008, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Hello ship family! Not going to stop in for much today other than to say congratulations on all milestoners and to all those who may celebrating any significant events!!
              HOPE X 14!!

Good night everyone, take care, be safe and have fun!!
              (((Shipfamily)))
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by gater62 View Post
                I always love reading all the interpretations of the Threads moments! *shippy sigh* That was beautifully put APA! These things do get discussed quite a bit, but I always find them worth re-reading. Warms my shippy heart and all. But hey, I love re-reading fanfics and books all the time!
                I completey agree. Have nothing to add

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
                I love our ship

All I am able to contribute these days are squeeeeees Oh, and I started rewatching again, season 1. Uhhh, rewinded the Broca Divide kiss only 3 times. The Nox "no you can't keep him" scene 2 times and uhh ... Brief Candle Jack half naked uhhh ... a couple of times Early SG1 makes me happy

I don´t think I will be here for Valenship, don´t have time on a saterday to be online all day. Maybe I pop in for a bit .... mmmmm ... maybe I can photoshop something with lots of hearts on it. Tee Hee
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover1990 View Post
                  I was thinking the same. It's especially the age difference...and maybe also the thing that RDA has to play...maybe in SG1 he isn't that much of a bachelor then in Mcgyver...but I can't really say that since I've never seen Mcgyver...
                  Originally posted by jumble65 View Post
                  Well that would make 3 of us then...coz I believe Amanda Tapping hasn't seen MacGyver either...I never had the inclination or desire to ever watch MacGyver...although my girlfriends did...one in particular absolutely adored him!!
                  So I'm a late bloomer...I much prefer him now anyway...so much more....droolable!!!
                  Really gotta choof...night all!!!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by jumble65 View Post

Ok, back on track, I hadn't seen him myself until a few months ago and then watched all seven seasons one after another, so I got a bit of an overdose It's right what you said, Mac was put across as much more of a bachelor than Jack, probably because he was so much younger. Thanks for the input
                    Yeah well...I've never seen it on tv in here so...nope...I have seen the dvd's of it in the store...but I wanted some SG dvd's instead of those

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
                    Yes, I think so. Saturday, February the 9th is the date, 12-midnight to 12-midnight, Eastern Standard (U. S) Time. starlover1990 is making the invitation...and it will be posted as soon as it is ready.

And yes, it's like our other holidays...S/J shippy goodness related to that holiday.

I love our special days!

*sings while making it*
                    It's a pink world after all

mwahahaha
                    *is in evil mood*

And BTW:

Congratulations, mara-anni, on 3,300 posts!!!

Congratultions, AstraPerAspera, on 3,200 posts!!!
                    From me too*cheers, and claps in hands*

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                    Well that would make 3 of us then...coz I believe Amanda Tapping hasn't seen MacGyver either...I never had the inclination or desire to ever watch MacGyver...although my girlfriends did...one in particular absolutely adored him!!
                    So I'm a late bloomer...I much prefer him now anyway...so much more....droolable!!!
                    Lol it's kinda funny, everyone says oh...RDA, you mean Mcgyver and I'm like...nope Jack O'Neill In the beginning I didn't even knew he was famous from Mcgyver before SG...I just love Jack...

I'm hopeless
                    *goes off again*
                    sigpic

Comment

starlover1990;7597760]Yeah well...I've never seen it on tv in here so...nope...I have seen the dvd's of it in the store...but I wanted some SG dvd's instead of those
                      Oh, don't get me wrong, if it comes to a straight choice between MacGyver and SG1, I'd go with Jack everytime

Lol it's kinda funny, everyone says oh...RDA, you mean Mcgyver and I'm like...nope Jack O'Neill In the beginning I didn't even knew he was famous from Mcgyver before SG...I just love Jack...
                      Now that is funny. I have a T-shirt that says 'I'd Rather Be Watching MacGyver' (usually wear it to the gym), and I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked 'Who's MacGyver?'

I don't think Mac was such a big thing here (UK), but SG1 is HUGE!!!

Comment

Ah, MacGyver.

I have to admit that I was very young on first showing so have no real memory of why people would be upset at Mac getting it together with someone in comparison for there being a good groundswell of support for Jack getting together with Sam.

I think some of it is the show format; unlike many TV action shows of the time, there wasn't a regular female character from what I can remember on MacGyver to provide a regular will-they/won't-they 'ship.' I would guess any recurring female wouldn't build up the same history of chemistry and therefore fan support for the pairing. Plus with the format being him alone and helping people, fans might object to something that would cramp that same format in future. It might also have been due to whether the female they were looking at pairing him with was 'suitable'. I think most fans accept when the hero falls for someone if the someone is a reasonable match but will object strenuously when they think it's not a good match and in fact the choosing of the individual by their beloved character seems to lessen that character as a result. ie if a strong intelligent man chooses to pair himself with a ditzy blonde who doesn't have a brain in her head - what does that say about him? (Equally I think the latter is why people generally objected to Pete for Sam and even Laira/Kynthia for Jack to some extent).

Even with Jack and Sam, there are fans who strenuously objected on the basis of the format of SG1 would change if the couple got together (no longer such an issue), and some who don't see the chemistry or agree that the couple are well matched.

However, I think certainly on this thread, there is a huge number who have seen the chemistry, seen the relationship build, think it would be a great match and as the format is no longer an issue - why not have the couple together? Hence why there is so much support for Jack and Sam, and not so much previously for MacGyver.

I'm sure I could have said this more succinctly....
                        sigpic
                        Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                        My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                          *Waves* at infirmary friend...ahh...it's nice to have friends in here! (((Jena))) feel better soon!
                          It is nice to not be alone. But I do hope my spot in the Angst Cavern is being saved!
                          Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                          You know, I find it interesting that in the final scene that they choose to focus on Sam and Jack holding the flowers...I know Daniel and Teal'c had some too, but there was just something so incredibly cute about the two of them standing there with those flowers in their hands! And Jack holds his almost like a bridal bouquet!
                          I could have sworn I had the pic of this on my PB, but I can't find it.
                          Originally posted by chelle db View Post
                          I watched one ep, and only because I wanted to see RDA as this famous MacGyver dude. The mullet though...it really scares me.

Comment

I remember when i was younger and my mum and dad would take me and my brother to my nanas for dinner i was about 5 or 6 and my brother was 2 i remember being put infront of the tv and MacGyver would be on and we would watch it untill dinner was ready i dont realy remember much being so young at the time but if i watched it know it would be to strange i'm used to
                            sigpic
                            (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. Doyle View Post
                              I could have sworn I had the pic of this on my PB, but I can't find it.
                              Ooooh, the flowers scene huh?

Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                              Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Rachel500;7597837 Ah, MacGyver.

I have to admit that I was very young on first showing so have no real memory of why people would be upset at Mac getting it together with someone in comparison for there being a good groundswell of support for Jack getting together with Sam.
                                I, on the other hand, was too busy bringing up three kids to be watching TV very much in the 80s, so MacGyver passed me by at that time. LOL! Now you know how old I am

I'm sure I could have said this more succinctly....
                                I think you said it very well, thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X