Sam Carter /Jack O'Neill Ship Appreciation Thread 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UhSir View Post
    Me too. But don't totally blame the writers in that. They were sort of trapped. Amanda was very vocal about not wanting to be demoted to being the main star's girlfriend.
    I absolutely blame the writers for it. They trapped themselves. And Sam need not be the 'star's gf' with competent writers. Unfortunately by the later Seasons the writers were comprised of juvenile men (and no military or RDA and his company keeping their tendencies in check). Vala spend most of her time rotating between guys - husband, Daniel and climbing up Teal'c like a monkey would a tree. Her constantly throwing herself at Daniel was just cringe and painful after a few episodes, so freaking demeaning. Sam couldn't make up her mind which guy she wanted and even almost kissed a guy who looked like someone she hadn't even thought about for 5 Seasons (Martouf) while supposedly being with someone. Then there are the outfits. Can anyone see Sam from the early Seasons strutting around base in revealing casual clothes? What about black, sleeveless tank tops as army outfits? Sexy undercover clothes while on another planet. The thing became an embarrassing repressed nerd fantasy full with stupid, juvenile humor. Just look at how they treated Sam with Dr. Felger and McKay, she was the literal nerd fantasy for crying out loud including imaginary kisses and nakedness. I missed the days when Sam's brain was valued more than her looking sexy or which guy she's interested in that week.

They did it fine in the early Seasons. The S/J ship slowly crept in until it hit it's climax in early S4. So the writers addressed it and made it clear to the audience that it was going to 'not leave the room'. And that was perfectly alright since there was no way anything was going to happen because of military R&R. So they did their job in addressing it and ending it in the same episode. They then had 2 choices, let it stay buried and never go there again or bring it back towards the end of the show and commit to it. Problem is they did neither and that was horrible for Sam's character.

S7 is when it really started to go downhill because they seemed to have no clue what they were doing. They brought the ship back out of nowhere. After S4's Entity there was maybe 2 times that could count as shippy. When Sam was upset during the episode where Jack was stranded on that moon with Maybourne and the one with Nirrti where Sam was leaning on Jack's shoulder (and these two episodes followed right after each other). That's all I could think of. And then they wanted to put Sam into a relationship with someone so for reasons I don't get, the ship was brought back in as something Sam needed to move on from in order to get with a guy. Except it was not needed because the ship was buried in S4.

Even worse was that they not only brought the ship back, they didn't even bury it after Grace, they went full on shippy for the rest of S7. If you leave out Chimera then the second half of S7 was full on steam ahead of the S/J ship. To this day I'm perplexed about not only that episode's existence but Pete's (in terms of S7). Take this episode and Pete out of the second half of S7 (and that's easy since Pete was only mentioned once past Chimera) and then you end up with the entire second half leading up to S/J. Every episode after Chimera has S/J shippy scenes in it until we reach the Finale where Sam all but says 'I love you', first at his house but definitely when they are on the ship. But Pete sadly did exist so what we ended up with was a Sam who was as fickle as they come and couldn't make up her mind about which guy she fancied that week. For crying out loud, even Kinsey and Woolsie tried to use their 'feelings' for each other in order to discredit SG-1/SGC when revealing the program to the new President. Even though Sam's file would have Pete in it as the current boy friend of a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by gate101 View Post

I absolutely blame the writers for it. They trapped themselves. And Sam need not be the 'star's gf' with competent writers. Unfortunately by the later Seasons the writers were comprised of juvenile men (and no military or RDA and his company keeping their tendencies in check). Vala spend most of her time rotating between guys - husband, Daniel and climbing up Teal'c like a monkey would a tree. Her constantly throwing herself at Daniel was just cringe and painful after a few episodes, so freaking demeaning. Sam couldn't make up her mind which guy she wanted and even almost kissed a guy who looked like someone she hadn't even thought about for 5 Seasons (Martouf) while supposedly being with someone. Then there are the outfits. Can anyone see Sam from the early Seasons strutting around base in revealing casual clothes? What about black, sleeveless tank tops as army outfits? Sexy undercover clothes while on another planet. The thing became an embarrassing repressed nerd fantasy full with stupid, juvenile humor. Just look at how they treated Sam with Dr. Felger and McKay, she was the literal nerd fantasy for crying out loud including imaginary kisses and nakedness. I missed the days when Sam's brain was valued more than her looking sexy or which guy she's interested in that week.

They did it fine in the early Seasons. The S/J ship slowly crept in until it hit it's climax in early S4. So the writers addressed it and made it clear to the audience that it was going to 'not leave the room'. And that was perfectly alright since there was no way anything was going to happen because of military R&R. So they did their job in addressing it and ending it in the same episode. They then had 2 choices, let it stay buried and never go there again or bring it back towards the end of the show and commit to it. Problem is they did neither and that was horrible for Sam's character.

S7 is when it really started to go downhill because they seemed to have no clue what they were doing. They brought the ship back out of nowhere. After S4's Entity there was maybe 2 times that could count as shippy. When Sam was upset during the episode where Jack was stranded on that moon with Maybourne and the one with Nirrti where Sam was leaning on Jack's shoulder (and these two episodes followed right after each other). That's all I could think of. And then they wanted to put Sam into a relationship with someone so for reasons I don't get, the ship was brought back in as something Sam needed to move on from in order to get with a guy. Except it was not needed because the ship was buried in S4.

Even worse was that they not only brought the ship back, they didn't even bury it after Grace, they went full on shippy for the rest of S7. If you leave out Chimera then the second half of S7 was full on steam ahead of the S/J ship. To this day I'm perplexed about not only that episode's existence but Pete's (in terms of S7). Take this episode and Pete out of the second half of S7 (and that's easy since Pete was only mentioned once past Chimera) and then you end up with the entire second half leading up to S/J. Every episode after Chimera has S/J shippy scenes in it until we reach the Finale where Sam all but says 'I love you', first at his house but definitely when they are on the ship. But Pete sadly did exist so what we ended up with was a Sam who was as fickle as they come and couldn't make up her mind about which guy she fancied that week. For crying out loud, even Kinsey and Woolsie tried to use their 'feelings' for each other in order to discredit SG-1/SGC when revealing the program to the new President. Even though Sam's file would have Pete in it as the current boy friend of a few months.
      You have right about everything. For me is even better how they were so great together during S8. Sam in first episode. Their conversation in Sacrifices. Jack´s "If only". Their phonecalls etc... And then came Affinity. Hot Jack and very very OC Sam. I don´t get it.

Comment

I am so confused. I have just surfing through the some czech articles and one was about our gorgeus Amanda. There was nothing I didn't already know, but one thing and I think it´s nonsense. There was said she had during Stargate a short romance with colleague actor, but I think she love her husband so much, that this kind of thing is impossible. Yes, each of us sometimes wondered what it would be like, if she was single when filming began. But she wasn´t. Have you heard anything about it?

Comment

...I missed the days when Sam's brain was valued more than her looking sexy or which guy she's interested in that week...
          yup, those were the days when she was a "valuable member of the team" and Jack had an unlimited faith in her abilities, to the extent that it almost felt like he was a main star's boyfriend, not vice versa :-D

Comment

Originally posted by DAC View Post
            I am so confused. I have just surfing through the some czech articles and one was about our gorgeus Amanda. There was nothing I didn't already know, but one thing and I think it´s nonsense. There was said she had during Stargate a short romance with colleague actor, but I think she love her husband so much, that this kind of thing is impossible. Yes, each of us sometimes wondered what it would be like, if she was single when filming began. But she wasn´t. Have you heard anything about it?
            I haven't heard about it before.

Comment

New wallpaper:

sam jack fanart

Comment

I agree with you completely about all of this.

In the early years, there was a lot of pushback about S/J ship from all directions. Sci-Fi Channel wanted it but not completely because they feared losing viewers. Viewers were very vocal here at Gateworld about loving or hating it and there were some pretty wicked arguments. Even the writers and directors were divided about the ship, which caused characters to behave differently from episode to episode.

Season 7 was expected to be the last but they got renewed. Season 8 was then going to be the last but they got renewed again. Seasons 9 and 10 happened but in my Stargate world, it's just another spinoff, as are the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
                  New wallpaper:

sam jack fanart
                  This is AWESOME!! I love the "play" list.

Comment

Originally posted by UhSir View Post

This is AWESOME!! I love the "play" list.
                    Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha-Carter-is-my-muse View Post
                      New wallpaper:

sam jack fanart

This is amazing! Makes me all kinds of happy. And the 'playlist' is perfect! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlinstry View Post
                        This is amazing! Makes me all kinds of happy. And the 'playlist' is perfect! Thank you for sharing it with us.
                        Thank you so much

Comment

I happened to see this on Twitter:
                          https://twitter.com/i/events/1371886963293261825

Originally posted by IMDB
                          Name the on-screen couple you ship the most.
                          Link to IMDB tweet: https://twitter.com/IMDb/status/1371196380962820096

Maybe someone here who's on Twitter could make a post about /Jack.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

My latest Sam & Jack story is finished...
                            Sam%20and%20Jack%201.jpg?psid=1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja Droverson View Post
                              My latest Sam & Jack story is finished...
                              Sam%20and%20Jack%201.jpg?psid=1.jpg
                              Nice!
                              No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
                              It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

Here are some songs that have been added to the and Jack Song List:

Unconditional by Picture This

I Needed To Fall by REO Speedwagon

Get Here by Oleta Adams

A Sky Full Of Stars by Coldplay

Everything I Need by Picture This

Meant To Be by Parachute

Let My Love Find You by REO Speedwagon

The song list total is now 629. The .pdf file of the list will get updated at some point.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Working...
                                X