X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jdjunkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
    I wasn't very fond of the Vala/Daniel stuff in the last couple of seasons, I don't think the writers had any skill in writing realistic relationships (see Wash/Zoe for real skill in writing an established couple or Kira/Odo for a deep friendship morphing into a realistic romance) but at least it was moderately entertaining. Any romance which is boring to your audience is just not going to fly, and watching paint dry was more interesting than Sam gazing lovingly at Sir while he looks deeply uncomfortable.

FF
    Daniel/Vala was as much of a train wreck as Jack/Sam, just in a different way.

Vala was feisty woman; the writers turned her into a lapdog to fit their idea of romance and managed to denigrate her character in the process. Eugh.

I think it's fair to say that the writers had no idea how to write romance. None. The closest they came to getting it right was Jack/Sara, a pairing a totally buy, and I wish we'd seen more of. They were "the greatest," before tragedy struck and they lost their way and each other, and I felt way more chemistry between them than I ever did between Jack and Sam. It's a subjective thing, I know.

Hey, wouldn't it be fascinating if the new movies addressed Jack/Sara in some way? Doubtful, I know because I suspect the movies will start off further down the timeline. But a girl can hope.

Leave a comment:

• poundpuppy29
    replied
    I guess the thing that annoyed me the most about the way the TPTW wrote Jack and Sam to suggest 2 people who are secure and intelligent would pine for each other like that is nonsense they would've done something about it I am sure regs or no regs sure it happens in the military all the time.

It is not that uncommon for women of science to remain single their passion is science Sam was very happy in her lab that's where she was the happiest in my observation.

In my mind my AU Sam is with Agent Barrett but that is just me he liked her and respected her they did have chemistry Jack I don't really think about honestly I liked him the most seasons 1 through 5 seasons 678 really turned me off on him

Leave a comment:

• Frostfox
    replied
    Originally posted by discodiva View Post
    Writing a real romance in a tv series is hard....I'm struggling with some of the "Love Triangle" stuff in Saving Hope too....but Stargate really got it wrong....Daniel/Vala was way tooo clunky & overtly sexual for a Sci Fi show with a Team/Adventure focus and the almost schoolboy writing of earlier Sam and Sir stuff was equally as appalling...

Zoe and Wash yeah...perfectly written...probably the best and most believable couple in Sci Fi for me..

Yep. Joss is not without his problems with writing women (the fey psycho girl gets very wearing after a while) but Zoe and Wash was just so well done. Miles and Keiko on DS9 felt pretty real, less harmonious than Zoe/Wash but real, non the less. And Adama/Rosin on BSG, the classic example of how to write a mature relationship which added to the SF series, not detracted from it. Unlike some we could mention.

FF

Leave a comment:

• discodiva
    replied
    Writing a real romance in a tv series is hard....I'm struggling with some of the "Love Triangle" stuff in Saving Hope too....but Stargate really got it wrong....Daniel/Vala was way tooo clunky & overtly sexual for a Sci Fi show with a Team/Adventure focus and the almost schoolboy writing of earlier Sam and Sir stuff was equally as appalling...

Zoe and Wash yeah...perfectly written...probably the best and most believable couple in Sci Fi for me..

Leave a comment:

• Frostfox
    replied
    Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
    I'm willing to give the new movies a go. It won't be MY SG-1, but that's fine; it's not meant to be. I have ten seasons and a couple of movies to keep me happy. I don't feel disrespected or ignored as a Stargate fan. This will be an AU for me, if you will.

And the fact that there will no Jack/Sam is a major plus-point for me. I watched and enjoyed the last two seasons of SG-1 in a much more relaxed manner because I wasn't waiting for the latest inept attempt by TPTB to convince us that true love had (finally! omg finally! after a totally unrealistic wait of how many years?!) conquered all. And how much more interesting and enjoyable was Sam in those seasons, without the weight of that ridiculous storyline round her neck? Yep. Thought so.
    I wasn't very fond of the Vala/Daniel stuff in the last couple of seasons, I don't think the writers had any skill in writing realistic relationships (see Wash/Zoe for real skill in writing an established couple or Kira/Odo for a deep friendship morphing into a realistic romance) but at least it was moderately entertaining. Any romance which is boring to your audience is just not going to fly, and watching paint dry was more interesting than Sam gazing lovingly at Sir while he looks deeply uncomfortable.

FF

Leave a comment:

Working...
X