No announcement yet.

Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Sorry to drop in on you guys, I know it's not the best place for me to post, but since Frostfox gave her permission (sorta).. I just have a few questions to ask, and then I'll be back to lurking, no worries.

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
    That's my main fear too, that Sam and Jack have to, in every scene, be shot together. As if, if any other character stands with either of them, the ship fairy dies. Which actually says a lot about the lack of chemistry; if you have to block them together in every scene for fear that seeing them with other actors will show this up!
    Okay, first question: Since when Jack and Sam have to be shot together in every scene? They don't have more "one on one" scenes than, for example, Jack and Daniel. Moreover during ship scenes there is usually someone else present (most often Teal'c). So I'm wondering when do you see it?
    This is not an accusation, or a gauntlet, or anything like it, I'm just curious.

I didn't hate Pete or the idea of Sam having a life outside the SGC. Had they kept it low key, an odd, short scene here and there, not a problem but they couldn't do that, could they? And they did Sam no favours by showing her still pining for the boss while leading the poor sap around by the ... nose. Made her look manipulative and cruel to a guy who's only sin was not to be Jack.
    I actually agree with a bolded part. As for the rest..I'm not sure is this a former anti-ship thread or discussion thread? So can I, as a shipper, disagree and discuss Pete's actions or is this place an "antishipper heaven", meaning a place where you don't have to discuss anything with shippers? I wouldn't want to butt in where I shouldn't.

I didn't like how they wrote Pete as a 'lesser man'. Jack O'Neill, uber sex god, no woman can fail to fall for his super sex appeal, no man can stand comparison to this Alpha of Alpha males. Utter tripe.
    I realise it's sarcasm Still, again I'm at a loss why would you think that? I have many issues with Pete but I've never thought he was a "lesser" man. And Jack being an Alpha male just doesn't add up. He was shown to have a much smaller number of any relationships/flings on the show than the rest of the team. And the women usually hit on him (repeatedly, because it takes him some time to notice ), not the other way around. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is how a "uber sex god" behaves.

Edit: Just one more thing about the general public. Most of the casual viewers I know don't care about the ship either way. If it is - okay, if it isn't - also ok. None of them would mind one or two shippy scenes in the next movie. And those who aren't non-shippers are in favour of the ship. My best friend doesn't watch SG-1, she watched only first season and a few odd episodes here and there (she isn't into sci-fi in any form), and the only thing that got her attention was S/J ship. When I mentioned a third movie her first question was: "Will there be any J/S romance?". And I think there are other people like her out there, who may be inclined to buy the third movie because of the romance. This is probably the only reason why TPTB will put it there: romance sells movies.

And given that my personal experiences with casual viewers differ from yours, I don't think anyone from us fans can tell what the "general audience" likes.

*goes back to lurking*
    Last edited by Petra; 23 April 2009, 07:28 AM.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    sigpic
    awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I'm afraid I'm not the right person to really answer any of your in depth comments.....

I'm a simple person and I used to post on this thread in quite simple terms....

I don't like S/J ship ....period.....I find it embarrassing, does a disservice to the acting skills of two quite talented actors, makes their characters look ridiculous and childish and it detracts from my enjoyment of a series I have followed faithfully for many years.........and I hope to god that my enjoyment of what I fear may be the last SG-1 film isn't ruined by it....

I cannot and will not be persuaded otherwise, so having made this statement I guess there's not a lot more for me to say on this subject, or thread.....

Cheerio folks!....

Deeds xx
      sigpic
      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

For me, the S/J ship should have ended in grace, when Sam realized that the feelings she had for jack comes from a defense mechanism- she is afraid to truly love, so she chooses a man that she knows will never love her back.
        Sadly, I guess the TPTB didn't think the same...
        I do agree (as lots of you said before) that the whole S/J ship is based more on Sam, and less on jack.
        Anyways, I really hope to see more Jack-Daniel scene then Jack-Sam in the 3rd movie..
        ~We do not stop playing because we grow old,
        we grow old because we stop playing.~
        ~ Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post

I really hope that they don't try to handle this awkward "relationship" in the third SG-1 movie. While I agree in principle with the statement that the writers made a mistake by not resolving the issue long ago... at this point I think it's too late to fix that, so they need to just continue as they have been by deferring the resolution. Anything they do now would seem out of place in the series as a whole. Anything more than hints would break the style that they have used for the series up until now. I think in this case, it's the casual fans/viewers who they should consider, not the fanatical viewers (like those of us crazies on GW ). Because the die-hard S/J shippers won't be satisfied with anything short of full, blatant confirmation, and the non-shippers will object to anything carrying shipy overtones, whether it's blatant or not (at least, I'll object. ).

The difference is that casual fans (in my experience, at least) either never noticed the S/J because they didn't care about it and thought it was just harmless fun (if they saw it at all), or they saw it but considered it to be just the normal TV UNST, or they liked it and thought that Sam and Jack got together off screen after season 8, but that it was kept off screen because it wasn't central to the plot or to the adventure style of the show. For viewers who fall into any of these categories, some blatant shipy confirmation will seem awkward and unnecessary. And yes, I realize that I'm making a lot of assumptions about the "general" viewers, but that has been my experience with friends who watch the show, but who don't come online. I'd hazard a guess that most viewers who do not participate in online fandom simply don't care enough for it to matter. So for them, it would be distracting.
          I don't know many people who watched SG1 outside of fandom. Of the ones I do know, my best friend loathes S/J for what it did to Sam. Her husband and daughter don't care.

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
          That's pretty much my experience of the general viewing public too....both my husband and son are, compared to me, casual viewers - casual as in they enjoy the series and take interest in all the storylines...they aren't particularly biased towards a certain character, although my son when younger, had a preference for O'Neill as a hero figure........but the one thing they, and those friends of my son who are also interested in SG-1, have in common is............

They couldn't give a flying fig, nor do they hardly ever notice, any S/J ship whatsoever!!...

I think that the notion of S/J ship is far more prevalent in the female fan section....and I think a small minority more quite often like to see themselves in the role of Sam, because Jack/RDA is their hero/fantasy.......NOTE I said small minority, no way am I implying that this is the norm!...

Deeds xx
          There are numerous reasons people crave affection in TV shows, books, films, sometimes it's something lacking in their own lives, or very different from their own relationships. Sometimes it's harmless escapism.
          Myself, I'd rather have real romance than second hand stuff of the TV.

That Canadian study I pointed to brought out that modern mass media depictions of romance, which is a idealised, romanticised and a long way from the realities of every day life, is making young people dissatisfied with their actual relationships as they can never live up to the media's fictionalised ideal. In very much the same way that young people get a false image of what is beautiful from the airbrushed perfection in the media, they are now getting a false idea of what a relationship should be about from the romanticised perfection in the media.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
          For me, all of the SG-1 team members have built their friendships on common experiences, sometimes ones they shared together like in Serpent's Grasp, or in pairs like Sam and Jack in Solitudes, Sam and Daniel in Gamekeeper, Jack and Teal'c in Tangent, or Jack and Daniel in Abyss. Probably what I love most about the show was the variety of friendships showcased in the SG-1 team, and to me at least, they all felt natural and complemented each other. The whole team, with all its myriad of emotions and relationships, is what caught my attention and made me become more than just a casual Stargate fan.

I was a casual fan until maybe 7-8 months ago and had seen all of SG-1 before venturing online, so that's likely why my perspective on Sam and Jack is so different from long-time fans. For me still the S/J ship is just one aspect of the show, so I personally don't find small mentions of it distracting but it's not an aspect I focus on when watching the show. So one scene in a Jack-centric action/adventure film probably won't bother me at all.
          I loved the way the team complemented each other, playing to each others strengths and weakness' and most of the time I can ignore or not see the disruption S/J called, but just now and then, it becomes too intrusive for me.
          But everyone is going to take something different from the show, it's just human nature and the way we watch TV.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
            Well I'm not a shipper and not an anti-shipper either, I'm pretty new to SG-1 and have only seen the first 2 seasons. Going on that as an Air Force Officer and being that your discussing their interactions in the first season I have some things to put out here (not the obvious its against regs stuff).

This is pretty intense but it bears saying: Sam went to the Air Force Academy.

One of my best friends in the world went to AFA and emerged from it a cynically bitter and disillusioned person. He found that the amount of sexual violence directed against female cadets, staff members, and non-personnel to be disgusting to the point he often got in fights with his fellow cadets his Plebe year. After that he took a less confrontational response to it but he has some deeply disturbing stories of sexual abuse that still haunt him.

A lot of the abuse came from upperclassmen and Academy personnel, superior officers, which are figures of authority and power in the military.

From the point of the early interactions between Sam and Jack it bears two alternatives based on the two most common reactions to sexual abuse (I got this from my friend who creepily enough learned it at an academy Psych class):

1. She hates male superiors and acts as "one of the boys" as well as in a overt feminist manner (explains Emancipation). Her affection for Jack overcomes this and he shows her that men can be good again awww.

2. Your signature got me thinking; however, that she liked him from when they met the first time in CoTG. This implies a dark suggestion in that Sam developed a sort of abuse Stockholm Syndrome that means she is attracted to superiors who treat her badly, i.e. Jack in CoTG. The dick measuring contest in the SGC when she is introduced to the team could confirm that as instead of dismissing the remarks she eggs them on, enjoying the feeling of being found "unworthy".

Regardless of all that I think that by season 2 they have a genuine affection based on shared experiences and getting to know one another. The origin of the relationship interested me so that is why I posted this.
            Interesting. And depressing as hell, I know this kind of thing went on in the past (in the UK) I was hoping things had improved.

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
            Thing is, we never saw Sam and Jack talk successfully about anything outside of work. Every single time Sam tried to talk about personal stuff Jack closed her down, and often non too kindly or subtly. I saw no friendship in any real sense of the word in that.

I do think TPTB tried to sell us a grand romance. The fact that they couldn't write it meant it came across more like Peyton Place and made both characters look like emotionally immature dolts.

Where we can agree, however, is on the question of mutual respect and trust ... on an entirely professional level. Their professional relationship was great, especially in the early years.

YMM - and clearly does - V.

Makes the world go round.
            We saw the odd, very rare, line or two. I remember one about making scrambled eggs and beer? It was a nice little exchange, no romantic schloop, just co-workers and friends laughing about something. But we just didn't get any indication that they really know each other, indeed the whole nature of their professional relationship, as shown on the program precludes that kind of intimacy.

Originally posted by col aga View Post
            Hi Sorry to drop in on you guys, I know it's not the best place for me to post, but since Frostfox gave her permission (sorta).. I just have a few questions to ask, and then I'll be back to lurking, no worries.
            It's an open thread, you can post where you will, you don't need my permission!

Okay, first question: Since when Jack and Sam have to be shot together in every scene? They don't have more "one on one" scenes than, for example, Jack and Daniel. Moreover during ship scenes there is usually someone else present (most often Teal'c). So I'm wondering when do you see it?
            This is not an accusation, or a gauntlet, or anything like it, I'm just curious.
            In one of the commentaries, a DeLouise one, if I recall, they discuss the framing of shots. In earlier seasons, Jack and Daniel were most often blocked together, in later ones, Jack and Sam.
            More and more as the seasons progressed and TPTB's romantic agenda came to the fore, Jack and Sam were blocked together.

I actually agree with a bolded part. As for the rest..I'm not sure is this a former anti-ship thread or discussion thread? So can I, as a shipper, disagree and discuss Pete's actions or is this place an "antishipper heaven", meaning a place where you don't have to discuss anything with shippers? I wouldn't want to butt in where I shouldn't.
            This was the anti-Sam/Jack thread, we come here to post why S/J is a dreadful idea. We don't have to justify why we have that opinion, any more than the pro S/J fans have to justify in their thread why they feel the way they do.
            Somewhere there's the ship discussion thread...
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...cussion+thread
            It's not been posted in for a while, but if someone starts posting, others will reply.

I realise it's sarcasm Still, again I'm at a loss why would you think that? I have many issues with Pete but I've never thought he was a "lesser" man. And Jack being an Alpha male just doesn't add up. He was shown to have a much smaller number of any relationships/flings on the show than the rest of the team. And the women usually hit on him (repeatedly, because it takes him some time to notice ), not the other way around. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think this is how a "uber sex god" behaves.
            Jack's pretty much the archetype of Alpha Male.

Edit: Just one more thing about the general public. Most of the casual viewers I know don't care about the ship either way. If it is - okay, if it isn't - also ok. None of them would mind one or two shippy scenes in the next movie. And those who aren't non-shippers are in favour of the ship. My best friend doesn't watch SG-1, she watched only first season and a few odd episodes here and there (she isn't into sci-fi in any form), and the only thing that got her attention was S/J ship. When I mentioned a third movie her first question was: "Will there be any J/S romance?". And I think there are other people like her out there, who may be inclined to buy the third movie because of the romance. This is probably the only reason why TPTB will put it there: romance sells movies.

And given that my personal experiences with casual viewers differ from yours, I don't think anyone from us fans can tell what the "general audience" likes.

*goes back to lurking*
            If TPTB have any sense, they will ignore all and any fans, we are non of us representative of the man in the street they need to be buying their product.

FF
            Last edited by Frostfox; 23 April 2009, 11:47 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 666startover View Post
              For me, the S/J ship should have ended in grace, when Sam realized that the feelings she had for jack comes from a defense mechanism- she is afraid to truly love, so she chooses a man that she knows will never love her back.
              Absolutely. I wasn't crazy about Grace, but I would have been happy if the writers had done that episode to put an final end on the whole S/J thing. I naively thought that's what they were trying to do, but they just wouldn't let it die. And resurrecting it again after that episode just made Sam look wishy-washy IMO. The whole point of Grace (I thought) was having Sam learn some things about herself. It made her look really bad (to me) to have her falling back on her old crush on Jack (in episodes like Lost City and Threads) after supposedly learning that this thing she had for him was not what she had thought it was.
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 666startover View Post
                Sadly, I guess the TPTB didn't think the same...
                I do agree (as lots of you said before) that the whole S/J ship is based more on Sam, and less on jack.
                Anyways, I really hope to see more Jack-Daniel scene then Jack-Sam in the 3rd movie..
                Hear, hear.

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                Absolutely. I wasn't crazy about Grace, but I would have been happy if the writers had done that episode to put an final end on the whole S/J thing. I naively thought that's what they were trying to do, but they just wouldn't let it die. And resurrecting it again after that episode just made Sam look wishy-washy IMO. The whole point of Grace (I thought) was having Sam learn some things about herself. It made her look really bad (to me) to have her falling back on her old crush on Jack (in episodes like Lost City and Threads) after supposedly learning that this thing she had for him was not what she had thought it was.
                Although Amanda's acting was good in Grace, the plot left me rather cold and I found it dull. And, sadly they felt the need to keep flogging the dead horse, even after giving themselves a sensible out in the episode. They just piled on the bad decisions for the character, doing more and more damage. Her treatment of Pete was awful and got worse and worse, to the point where it was painful to watch.

FF
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DSG1
                  I agree with what you said but...

I just didn't like the Pete storyline at all, it was handled poorly almost as poorly as Sam/Jack.

I still dont see how they can hookup they are still airforce so what will they do for a romantic scene? Jack isn't gonna retire anytime soon. Dont care what the shippers say, if they are in the same command or not, rules are rules as long as they serve in the same branch they can't hookup.

Its such a wasted ship in my opinion and the only to resolve it is to retire Jack which, they aren't gonna do yet.
                  Not going to argue, they handled the Pete thing so badly, it made Sam look so bad, that they would have been better not going there in the long run.

It was a waste of screen time and characterization. They had no plan to resolve it in a meaningful way and lacked the skills to make it convincing when it did rear it's ugly head. So why bother? Just because the oldest cliché in the book is leading man/leading lady. Yawn, wake me up where it's all over.

FF
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been reading through this thread, and find myself agreeing with most of you. I must admit I never saw the S/J ship in the first three seasons, but later it got pretty obvious, I think. I wish they would have kept to the team-stories, as that is what I like best about SG-1. The ship was bad for the characters of both Jack and Sam, though mostly for Sam, I think.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to Roeskva for the smilies

Comment

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
                      Thing is, we never saw Sam and Jack talk successfully about anything outside of work. Every single time Sam tried to talk about personal stuff Jack closed her down, and often non too kindly or subtly. I saw no friendship in any real sense of the word in that.
                      For me, I saw several exchanges that suggested they knew or talked about things outside of a purely working context. Sam knowing about Jack's telescope, the phasers and Enterprise lines, the fishing conversation in Nemesis, Sam knowing Jack uses beer in his omelettes, Jack knowing Sam is dating someone because she was humming, Jack recognizing something personal was bothering her because she wasn't technobabbling at him, etc.

For talking about personal stuff, it was referenced that they talked about her feelings on the Jolinar experience in the Tok'ra, Jack offered to talk about the twin thing in Point of View, their conversations re Pete in Chimera and Affinity, Jack telling Sam how Sara got him through a bad mission in Iraq in Solitudes, etc.

We saw the odd, very rare, line or two. I remember one about making scrambled eggs and beer? It was a nice little exchange, no romantic schloop, just co-workers and friends laughing about something. But we just didn't get any indication that they really know each other, indeed the whole nature of their professional relationship, as shown on the program precludes that kind of intimacy.
                      From my reading about military units and talking with veterans, they almost universally talk about how often their closest friendships were with their teammates, where men and women alike admit that they often know more about their teammates than their spouses or girl/boyfriends. And it's not just among the non-coms, it goes through the ranks. I've experienced something similar in my work in EMS, where there are personal things that I can talk to my superiors/coworkers/EMS friends about, but not with my family, because they would understand it more.

So I would think serving together for 7 straight years on a tight-knit military unit like SG-1 would foster a friendship between Sam and Jack, even considering their professional relationship. It's of course different from the friendships between Jack and Daniel, Jack and Teal'c, Sam and Teal'c, Sam and Daniel, etc, but IMHO, it's still friendship.

But I feel like we're kinda going around in circles at this point, so I think I'll just take my leave of this thread. Thanks for the discussions.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMushroom View Post
                        I've been reading through this thread, and find myself agreeing with most of you. I must admit I never saw the S/J ship in the first three seasons, but later it got pretty obvious, I think. I wish they would have kept to the team-stories, as that is what I like best about SG-1. The ship was bad for the characters of both Jack and Sam, though mostly for Sam, I think.
                        And the fans of S/J were happily putting them together in the first three seasons, it was never necessary to unbalance the team by doing any more than what they were doing then.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        For me, I saw several exchanges that suggested they knew or talked about things outside of a purely working context. Sam knowing about Jack's telescope, the phasers and Enterprise lines, the fishing conversation in Nemesis, Sam knowing Jack uses beer in his omelettes, Jack knowing Sam is dating someone because she was humming, Jack recognizing something personal was bothering her because she wasn't technobabbling at him, etc.

For talking about personal stuff, it was referenced that they talked about her feelings on the Jolinar experience in the Tok'ra, Jack offered to talk about the twin thing in Point of View, their conversations re Pete in Chimera and Affinity, Jack telling Sam how Sara got him through a bad mission in Iraq in Solitudes, etc.

From my reading about military units and talking with veterans, they almost universally talk about how often their closest friendships were with their teammates, where men and women alike admit that they often know more about their teammates than their spouses or girl/boyfriends. And it's not just among the non-coms, it goes through the ranks. I've experienced something similar in my work in EMS, where there are personal things that I can talk to my superiors/coworkers/EMS friends about, but not with my family, because they would understand it more.

So I would think serving together for 7 straight years on a tight-knit military unit like SG-1 would foster a friendship between Sam and Jack, even considering their professional relationship. It's of course different from the friendships between Jack and Daniel, Jack and Teal'c, Sam and Teal'c, Sam and Daniel, etc, but IMHO, it's still friendship.

But I feel like we're kinda going around in circles at this point, so I think I'll just take my leave of this thread. Thanks for the discussions.
                        I don't think anyone in this thread feels the need to evangelize to anyone else, it's okay to agree to disagree.

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

This was the anti-Sam/Jack thread, we come here to post why S/J is a dreadful idea. We don't have to justify why we have that opinion, any more than the pro S/J fans have to justify in their thread why they feel the way they do.
                          Somewhere there's the ship discussion thread...
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...cussion+thread
                          It's not been posted in for a while, but if someone starts posting, others will reply.
                          I'd come talk over there with you, col aga, if you wanted as I do think this is a flaw in the simple changing of names of threads: all the regular posters are there and it is difficult for just one or two new people to come in with views that oppose the old "flavor" of the thread. There still aren't very many threads around that are truly open to both sides of an issue and have roughly even numbers of people favoring any given opinion. I do like the idea of it being a "ship" discussion thread in general, though, rather than limited to just Sam and Jack (seeing as three on-topic threads plus however many off-topic threads are already devoted to this one pairing).
                          Last edited by Callista; 24 April 2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Callista View Post
                            I'd come talk over there with you, col aga, if you wanted as I do think this is a flaw in the simple changing of names of threads: all the regular posters are there and it is difficult for just one or two new people to come in with views that oppose the old "flavor" of the thread. There still aren't very many threads around that are truly open to both sides of an issue and have roughly even numbers of people favoring any given opinion. I do like the idea of it being a "ship" discussion thread in general, though, rather than limited to just Sam and Jack (seeing as three on-topic threads plus however many off-topic threads are already devoted to this one pairing).
                            True.
                            A lot of the GW rewire is a good idea and a lot of the renaming makes sense, but there's bound to be some confusion.

I'd never want any fan to feel they can't post here but also this is a safe space for us to discuss things other fans might not like, it's not our jobs to couch that in ways palatable to S/J fans.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

True.
                              A lot of the GW rewire is a good idea and a lot of the renaming makes sense, but there's bound to be some confusion.

I'd never want any fan to feel they can't post here but also this is a safe space for us to discuss things other fans might not like, it's not our jobs to couch that in ways palatable to S/J fans.

FF

Hear hear!.....it's no different for those of us who have enjoyed S9 and S10 from realising and understanding that the majority of comments in the Critique and Contemplation Thread probably won't be to our liking and/or agreement, but it's their safe haven to post their misgivings, as this thread is for those of us who really do not enjoy/desire or see S/J ship....

Deeds xx
                              -
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                                Hear hear!.....it's no different for those of us who have enjoyed S9 and S10 from realising and understanding that the majority of comments in the Critique and Contemplation Thread probably won't be to our liking and/or agreement, but it's their safe haven to post their misgivings, as this thread is for those of us who really do not enjoy/desire or see S/J ship....

Deeds xx
                                -
                                I don't care who comes in the thread, I don't mind discussing things with them, but I won't temper my views on S/J for their feelings. I wouldn't expect the pro S/J fans to do that if I posted in their thread - indeed, I have posted in their thread, usually silly penguins I have found online which I think will amuse them.
                                http://www.ewobo.co.uk/WhackthePenguin.htm

Glad you are home safe, Deeds. I'm off to Portmeirion tomorrow.

FF
                                Last edited by Frostfox; 24 April 2009, 11:43 AM. Reason: :) whack the penguin!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X