No announcement yet.

Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've posted here before but I'm bored and I need to refreshen my opinion on this page. I think Sam and Jack are more like relatives than anything. Bro/Sis, Cuz/Cuz, you know. Nowadays maybe Unc/Neice, Dad/Daughter. The romance? I don't se it. I see sarcastic glances and smooching like "Eww! I kissed my brother!! Mint, Mint!!" Or practise kissing (don't ask me*shrug*) But they do have good chemistry - not that kind of chemistry but you know, buddies for life, that kind of thing. It's all cool.

StarGate 4ever!
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I agree, jack and sam would just not work out. I know that I wouldn't be able to bear being married to an idiot (and yes, jack is an idiot, albiet a tolerable one), even if the prospective spouse was "a dreamy stud"/"hott". Carter is always cut off and impatiently grunted at just because she's smarter than everyone else on the team who don't even take the time to learn the science behind THEIR JOB. What sam sees in in o'neill (or amanda in rick for that matter...), I have no idea. maybe it's because i'm just not a dreamy stud...
      embre

Comment

I tried to date an idiot once. It was horribly, horribly aggravating. How can you communicate with someone if they don't even understand what you're saying?? The relationship didn't didn't last long.

I'd say Sam deserves better, but after the way she's been treating Pete, I don't think she deserves anyone at all.

I still don't see any chemistry between Jack and Sam and while I haven't seen much of the past two seasons, I thought that the "shippy" bits looked very forced and that the actors looked very uncomfortable. The actors, mind you. The characters were nowhere to be seen in those scenes.

Comment

Why would they need to know the science? They know what they need to know. It doesn't matter how the Stargate gets you places as long as it works, and there's SOMEONE who knows how it works, for the times when it gets messed up.

Comment

Well after watching Threads, here's hoping that they leave all ship alone in Atlantis.

How about McKay, he's her intellectual equal at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
              How about McKay, he's her intellectual equal at least.
              NEVER!!

I think the best guy Sam was ever with was Orlin. Good 'ol Orlin! If onlt he'd stayed! Of course, Sam'd probably break his heart and he'd zap her or whatever they do as glowly balls of light.

But I've noticed ... Sam has been paired with almost every dude on the show .. 'cept Orlin of course. But does anyone find it strange that all starring female characters must be with some dudely influence? Hmm? Isn't it the least bit annoying?
              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by yasureubetcha
                Why would they need to know the science? They know what they need to know. It doesn't matter how the Stargate gets you places as long as it works, and there's SOMEONE who knows how it works, for the times when it gets messed up.
                It isn't JUST a matter of science, it's a matter of everything. She's on an intellectual level far above Jack's and even ordinary (to her) conversations are likely to trip him up, unless she sticks to HIS subjects and HIS vocabulary. She shouldn't have to limit herself for him. She shouldn't have to talk down to his level, that isn't fair to either of them. But then, using all those five-dollar words isn't very fair to HIM, either.

Anyway, I think McKay would be the one to come closest to her level of smartness and he has the sarcasm that she seems to like (or that she's at least used to). If I were to ship her with anyone, it'd be Rodney, but as I said, I don't think she deserves anyone and for all his faults and as much as he may think he loves her, Rodney doesn't deserve her. He should have someone BETTER. But that's a subject for another thread.

Comment

because on many, many occasions, carter has to waste valuable time explaining a situation or problem. and anyway, think of the benefit if everyone on the team learned a bit about the gate. What if carter was compromised on an alien planet and something goes wrong with the gate or they run into some powerful defense that they need carter to explain to them? I'm also thinking of the episode where they're trapped in antarctica. If oneill knew something about the gate, he might actually have come up with the correct problem sooner than carter by taking his no-nonsense "well, duh" approach of thinking about hard problems.
                  embre

Comment

nah, rodney's a good, level-headed guy when it comes down to a dire situation, but he'd just be ANNOYING to live with. so full of himself and whatnot. I don't like how he talks down to sheppard, who usually doesn't care about what rodney has to say anyway
                    embre

Comment

Ok, I concede. But Sam and McKay? Never, as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with O-Ra: too many 'ships for Sam. It has always kind of annoyed me, the tendency to always pair up the token females. Though maybe the difference is that Sam's men are guys she knows for a short time (except Pete) and they tend to die cleanly. Meanwhile Teal'c had a wife back on Chulak for a long time, and has had two other relationships since. Daniel's love interests keep getting taken as hosts, so it's understandable that he is on hold romantically for much of the time, (while he's not "dead.")

Sam should've stayed with her sweet, devoted, innocent replicator .

Comment

I agree with O-Ra: too many 'ships for Sam. It has always kind of annoyed me, the tendency to always pair up the token females. Though maybe the difference is that Sam's men are guys she knows for a short time (except Pete) and they tend to die cleanly. Meanwhile Teal'c had a wife back on Chulak for a long time, and has had two other relationships since. Daniel's love interests keep getting taken as hosts, so it's understandable that he is on hold romantically for much of the time, (while he's not "dead.")

Sam should've stayed with her sweet, devoted, innocent replicator .
                        Eew, fifth? He's a mess. Anyway, then we wouldn't have the ultra-cool replicator carter, now would we?
                        embre

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

I did not choose to make this relationship up, it was wrapped up with a bow and given to me by the writers. I only chose to open the box and enjoy what was given to me. However, as much as I had hoped to one day see Sam and Jack together, I had never expected it to happen until Jack retired or the show ended.
                          Well, therein lies the problem... it was a present I think many didn't really want... it was forced on us and there was really no occasion for it... Stargate was sold as an action adventure show in a first contact situation and then out of the blue... "I care for her more than I should..." Really? Didn't notice.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                            Threads
                            Spoiler:

3. Jack putting his arm around Sam while Jacob was on his death bed. That was probably the second most uncomfortable thing I've seen. Just watch the look on Jack's face!
                            Threads
                            Spoiler:
                            Actually, I had no problems with that particular scene because even if all these years they had not implied ship and blatantly thrown it in our faces at other times, I still believe Jack would have done the exact same thing for Sam. Her father was dying and he was offering a shoulder to cry on. So for the moment I took off my anti-ship glasses and ignored it in that particular scene. God knows it was meant to be shippy, but I had the fortitude to ignore it. Not so much for the rest of the episode.

I was angry that they drug Jacob into the whole ship fiasco, and then pretty much made that his dying declaration that he wants her to be happy with Jack. Even if the name wasn’t mentioned, it was implied. If they were going to kill Jacob, at least makes it more meaningful than that. At least Janet’s death was meaningful and not totally wasted, imo. I understood the point they were making with her death. Jacob was just used to advance an agenda. I’m gonna miss him.

Poor Pete was nothing but an evil plot device anyway since his conception. They threw him into the mix to rile people up and make people hate him. His fate was never going to have a pleasant outcome. I think he knew all along she wasn’t going to marry him, but he held out hope anyway. That’s why he was so understanding (that’s not quite to word I’m looking for but…) when she broke it off. Poor guy. At least he went out with some dignity, which is more than I can say for Sam’s response to his reaction when she told him. I was like Pete. Did she expect him to beg? I hate that the writers created Pete for the reasons they did and for how they diminished Sam’s character in the process. At least they finally put the poor character out of his misery.

Honestly no point in commenting on the rest of the ship stuff in the episode. All I can say is I hope the tptb have gotten it out of their system. That means it better never rear its ugly head on Atlantis except in my imagination if I so desire it. For me that was the resolution to S/J ship. It pretty much got acknowledged in a round-about-way by both parties involved so enough is enough. And if that wasn’t even enough then just read deep between the lines because the resolution was there so let’s move on. Leave the rest for fanfic. They are still never going to be together until one or both retires or Jack gets transferred away out of her chain of command.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

See, Carter and McKay is my favourite pairing on either show, if only because we always get some serious sparks whenever they interact. Of course, it's usually on the order of lightning bolts and not simple romantic sparks, but it's fun as hell to watch either way.

Mckay would be good for Carter because he makes her work for everything. It's not in his nature to hand anything to anyone on a silver platter, which is what happens in the SGC. Even if it were just about a scientific theory, McKay would make her work, sweat, and damn well earn it. I think that would be a good thing for Sam.

Carter would be good for McKay because sooner or later he needs to let those standoffish walls down and actually relate to other human beings. McKay is great because he's one of the very few Stargate characters with layers. Sure he's got his snarky exterior, but think of all that's buried beneath it.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

And how are they supposed to make a relationship work while they're developing each other? I think they'd kill each other first.

Comment

Working...
                                X