Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Abodie
    How do you feel about newbies? I've been spreading my thoughts (unwise) about Sam and Jack on other threads. One long time poster made some snotty comment about me being yet another newbie. Oh well, sheet happens. We all gotta start somewhere. Anyway, on the subject of Jack and Amanda. I have never seen her giving Jack the eye or him drooling over her. There hasn't even been any hints of attraction. He does make fun of her a lot. Is that the same as pulling a girl's hair in school? Anyway She mostly ignores him, even when he's cracking jokes. I feel they admire each other as co-workers but Sam is buried in her work and Jack is numb from the loss of his son. If the only way Jack can admit he has feelings for Sam is by force, then it's a lost cause. I'm talking about the episode where they had to admit exactly what was said to each other, to prove they weren't gould's. Sorry don't know the name of the episode. Guess I have to study up so I can make correct references. I don't know every line said in every episode but I do know that Sam and Jack just aren't suited for each other. One's a "Y'ah think?" and the other is a "I do think".
    Yeah, I said a few things when I first started that got me in the red for like a week. But soe nice people gave me some green so ... I'm all better now.

Youre right about Sam and Jack though. It's really a friendly relationship the way they act toward one another. Like high school buddies or brother and sister. I remember Carter saying in Hathor that she wanted to be one of the guys. How can she be one of the guys if she's drooling girlishly over one of the guys? I wonder if the shippers can answer that one. Doesn't make a whole lotta sense but, really, there's nothing there. *shrugs*
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

How do you feel about newbies? I've been spreading my thoughts (unwise) about Sam and Jack on other threads. One long time poster made some snotty comment about me being yet another newbie. Oh well, sheet happens. We all gotta start somewhere.
      Don't worry about it, the same thing happened to me. It happens to everyone no matter what comment you're making. As soon as you're here for awhile then those types of comments will stop. Although this forum really isn't that bad in that sense. Everyone here is really welcoming.

Anyway, on the subject of Jack and Amanda. I have never seen her giving Jack the eye or him drooling over her. There hasn't even been any hints of attraction. He does make fun of her a lot. Is that the same as pulling a girl's hair in school? Anyway She mostly ignores him, even when he's cracking jokes. I feel they admire each other as co-workers but Sam is buried in her work and Jack is numb from the loss of his son. If the only way Jack can admit he has feelings for Sam is by force, then it's a lost cause. I'm talking about the episode where they had to admit exactly what was said to each other, to prove they weren't gould's. Sorry don't know the name of the episode. Guess I have to study up so I can make correct references. I don't know every line said in every episode but I do know that Sam and Jack just aren't suited for each other. One's a "Y'ah think?" and the other is a "I do think".
      Well, I think the ship was forced on them from the beginning. I can't really see them together either, but I guess some shippers can and if they like it, then good for them. I see the "ship" but it's a "ship" without chemistry, just a bunch of forced words and cheesy music and the "longing looks" which could easily be mistaken for the character looking at a cheese sandwich.
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
        Well, I will state what I have before stated , Sam and Jack seem more like bro and sis rather than some hot passionate love nest, that's just gross.
        I tend to think of them as more like mentor and apprentice... alarm bells ring for me also when they do the whole romance thing with Sam and Jack.
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

How do you feel about newbies? I've been spreading my thoughts (unwise) about Sam and Jack on other threads. One long time poster made some snotty comment about me being yet another newbie. Oh well, sheet happens. We all gotta start somewhere.
          Welcome to the forum, Abodie... we were all newbies once... myself not that long ago either...
          My problem with StormWeaver's post was not so much the sentiment but a lack of diplomacy on his/her part, particularly when he/she threatened to do the same thing on the pro-thread. It was more a warning on my part... his/her action would probably result in multiple red dings and angry replies... It is one thing to have opinions but it's another to be rude about it...
          I don't wander into the ship threads very often because I know exactly what the posts there are going to be about and really, it doesn't matter what I say, avid shippers aren't going to all change their minds because of something anti-ship I say. The point of having separate threads is so that people who have the same interests can go to them and not feel harangued by others who don't share their enthusiasm.

I'm not interested in ship in sci-fi, much less the whole Sam and Jack thing... it doesn't usually further the narrative that much and usually more of an interlude. As far I'm concerned I'm rather passe about the whole relationship but if other people want to play "spot the shippy moment" that's their perogative.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Oh, she went ahead and posted it. I've heard some fumings about THAT already. Being a newbie doesn't give you free rein to be an ass. You still have to be tactful and above all CIVIL in your posts. And for cryin' out loud, FOLLOW THE RULES. You don't degrade other posters, here. That's just about the primary rule of conduct for Gateworld. This place is supposed to be FUN and it's hard to have FUN when someone goes around attacking large groups of people. You want to incite riots and engage in flame wars, take it to another forum. This is supposed to be a FRIENDLY place where you should feel free to express your opinion without fear or ridicule and persecution. And keep it to the appropriate threads. The PRO ship thread is pro for a reason. It's for supporters only. We respect THEIR space just as they respect OURS.

Comment

Pfft like I'm going to read 36 pages to catch up.

All I want to say is the ONLY type of "ship" I want to see in Stargate are the ones that fly in space - the Promethius, The Gau'old ships, The Azgard ships etc.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                Pfft like I'm going to read 36 pages to catch up.

All I want to say is the ONLY type of "ship" I want to see in Stargate are the ones that fly in space - the Promethius, The Gau'old ships, The Azgard ships etc.
                Hear, hear...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                  Sam and Jack seem more like bro and sis rather than some hot passionate love nest,

I don't remember what episode it was in, but one time Jack told Sam that he loved her dad like a brother.

Since then, I have had this uncle-niece picture in my mind which automatically squicks me when they try to put in a shippy moment.

Jace
                  Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                    Oh, maybe I guess. My theory on that scene in Gemini is that...
                    Spoiler:
                    Fifth was putting RC thru gradual training. First she balked at shooting her friends, but finally she could blow them away with no qualms. Then he moved her up to shooting and killing her commanding officer (and not incidentally the man she has strong feelings for). She had a tough time and that's the image she chose to show real Sam because she knew it would have an affect. RC was "playing" Sam the whole time.
                    That’s basically how I’m writing that one off. S8 Gemini
                    Spoiler:
                    RC was manipulating Sam, but then that makes you wonder why she chose to show it being so painful to shoot Jack. Did Fifth really torture RC in that manner or did RC conjure this scenario up purely to gain sympathy from Sam. If Fifth really did repeatedly subject RC to that scenario over and over then I can go along with at first she didn’t want to shoot Daniel either but eventually worked past that point because the action became ingrained as if she were shooting a cardboard cut out.

Now if Fifth is left out of the equation and this is all RC’s doing, then why beyond whys would she show Sam that killing Jack was just such “torture” and that that image would elicit more sympathy from Sam. Why was it Jack and not Daniel or Teal’c? Well duh, they were incorporating ship into the episode. BTW, I didn’t pick up on the “shippy” music, and I usually do. I know the real Sam cares about the other members of her team as equally as she does for Jack, but just by showing that scene in Gemini, it somehow implies that she somehow cares more deeply for Jack even if this is all in the mind of RC. If that was all RC’s doing, then she must have had some kind of memory/thought/feeling from when she was created from Sam that told her ahhhh Sam seems to have more of an attachment to Jack, so I’ll show myself agonizing over him being killed in order to gain greater sympathy from Sam. Then again maybe she just picked him because he is her CO, but the writers knew what they were doing when they chose him.

Yeah, I had other problems with the episode, but I didn’t particularly care for that scene. In order to save everyone grief, they should have just had someone other than Daniel (a poor hapless airman instead) at the base of the ramp, then we could have avoided the whole “why would she have a harder time killing Jack than Daniel” thing. Instead we could discuss why she had an easier time killing poor lovable Siler than she did Jack. She and Siler actually have more in common, and he takes an interest in her hobbies. You know they are doing more in that room than just working on her motorcycle. Come to think of it, maybe I'm more outraged that she had an easier time killing Siler than she did Daniel.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Jace021903
                      I don't remember what episode it was in, but one time Jack told Sam that he loved her dad like a brother.

Since then, I have had this uncle-niece picture in my mind which automatically squicks me when they try to put in a shippy moment.

Jace
                      I've been thinking Uncle/Niece since s1. For a few years it was very nice indeed to see their Uncle/Niece-ey relationship, it was a nice warmth around the mentor/mentee professoinal relationship they had. Then Grace Happenned...

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Oh, she went ahead and posted it. I've heard some fumings about THAT already. Being a newbie doesn't give you free rein to be an ass. You still have to be tactful and above all CIVIL in your posts.
                        "The young do not always do what they are told..."
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          Yeah, I had other problems with the episode, but I didn’t particularly care for that scene. In order to save everyone grief, they should have just had someone other than Daniel (a poor hapless airman instead) at the base of the ramp, then we could have avoided the whole “why would she have a harder time killing Jack than Daniel” thing. Instead we could discuss why she had an easier time killing poor lovable Siler than she did Jack. She and Siler actually have more in common, and he takes an interest in her hobbies. You know they are doing more in that room than just working on her motorcycle. Come to think of it, maybe I'm more outraged that she had an easier time killing Siler than she did Daniel.
                          [/spoiler]
                          Spoiler:
                          Maybe Replicarter does have the hots for Jack because she's in part a product of Fifth's sulky-teen perception of Sam. Because he feels stung by her rejection he decided that she must be in love with someone else, fixates on Jack and thus colours Replicarter's world. Either that or it's all part of her manipulating him and/or Carter, acting all soppy and weak so they think they have the edge on her.
                          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

To Shadowmatt or anyone else in the lynch mob. First of all I was civil. Secondly, since when does calling someone an ass count as being civil? If I made a mistake in ediquite I'm sorry. Chalk it up to me being new. What's your excuse for the name calling?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Oh, she went ahead and posted it. I've heard some fumings about THAT already. Being a newbie doesn't give you free rein to be an ass. You still have to be tactful and above all CIVIL in your posts. And for cryin' out loud, FOLLOW THE RULES. You don't degrade other posters, here. That's just about the primary rule of conduct for Gateworld. This place is supposed to be FUN and it's hard to have FUN when someone goes around attacking large groups of people. You want to incite riots and engage in flame wars, take it to another forum. This is supposed to be a FRIENDLY place where you should feel free to express your opinion without fear or ridicule and persecution. And keep it to the appropriate threads. The PRO ship thread is pro for a reason. It's for supporters only. We respect THEIR space just as they respect OURS.
                              Actually, my opinion's been ridiculed on many a time. That's one of the things that comes with a message board, people getting pissed off and lashing out. On silly stuff, too! Plus, I've been to the S/J ship thread. Boy, you guys take things personal! What'd I say?

And plenty non newbies have excercised free reign in being an 'arse' as you eloquently put it.
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I don't recall saying that anyone specific was being an ass. It's called a generalization. If you thought my comment was directed at you, I'm sorry, but it wasn't. It was a general description of people who come onto a board that's new to them and immediately beging flaming everyone.

Now... to get this thread back on topic where it belongs, I have a very bad feeling about how the ship issue is going to be resolved by TPTB. Something tells me it will be calculated to piss off the maximum number of fans, regardless of their position on the issue.

I still wish they'd just go back in time and make none of it have happened. Ever. *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X