Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
    But I don't think that these characters are changing and growing. If anything, they're shrinking. A strong, capable woman has become a blubbering schoolgirl; two rounded characters have become in turns detached and introverted and...well, a total wallflower. By CJ's own claim, the only time Teal'c gets any character development is when he writes it himself.
    <snip>
    Well, if you want to talk about the decline in writing, I'm there. Can anyone tell me when the last time this show has had a female writer? Been a while. And the last female PTB? Was there ever a female PTB? Nothing personal against men but I think things would greatly benefit from a woman's presence in the PTB. Not that I think it's gonna happen, I just think it would lend balance to the force.

As for Teal'c, the poor guy only gets development when CJ writes (and I'm all for CJ writing more--this PTB needs an infusion of new talent).
    Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
    Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
    Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Well, I haven't read the gist of this thread except the title.
      I have to say that this Jack loves sam, sam really loves jack, must be somekind of chick thing and plain wishful thinking.
      For the life of me, I've never seen them as a potential couple, nor do I really see any sexual chemistry between the two- even though the writers try to labour on it somewhat..
      She'd probably go for the more intellectual type(though Pete's hardly Einstein) and Jack would go for the blonde trophy wife.
      i want Stargate to be about-well- Stargate. Not a Days Of Our Lives will they, won't they.
      I suspect Stargate will quickly lose their male audience if they turn the whole thing into a lovey dovey soap opera.
      I suppose they think it saves on special effects.
      Well, the biggest special effect they'll get is the magical dissappearing audience numbers.
      SG-1 fans vanishing before their very eyes. And it's free of charge!

Comment

MC, most of us see ship now even if we didn't pre-Grace. That's *why* we're anti- it

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          MC, most of us see ship now even if we didn't pre-Grace. That's *why* we're anti- it
          And sadly enough, most of us have better shipdar than the shippers... just so we can complain about it
          Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
          RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

It's kind of hard not to see ship when tptb are forcing it down our throats. Now, if you mean a natural sexual/romantic chemistry and organic love between the characters, no I don't see that. If you mean a contrived, someone using every trick in the book because it doesn't exist naturally, manufactured thing between Jack and Sam, oh boy do I see ship.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              It's kind of hard not to see ship when tptb are forcing it down our throats. Now, if you mean a natural sexual/romantic chemistry and organic love between the characters, no I don't see that. If you mean a contrived, someone using every trick in the book because it doesn't exist naturally, manufactured thing between Jack and Sam, oh boy do I see ship.
              I know what you mean. There was a little bit of chemistry between the two in maybe a few scenes in the first few episodes- if that. Then TPTB just randomly decided that they wanted ship between those two and kept writing it in. If I were ever make a show I'm wouldn't write any ship in it- I'm sure there would be a ton of different ship fan fics for almost every character in the show.
              RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                I hope none of those shippers are lurking here, they might stop making me margaritas and cookies!!
                I'm here, Major Clanger, but you still get a margarita shipper cookie.

Sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                  Well, if you want to talk about the decline in writing, I'm there. Can anyone tell me when the last time this show has had a female writer? Been a while. And the last female PTB? Was there ever a female PTB? Nothing personal against men but I think things would greatly benefit from a woman's presence in the PTB. Not that I think it's gonna happen, I just think it would lend balance to the force.

As for Teal'c, the poor guy only gets development when CJ writes (and I'm all for CJ writing more--this PTB needs an infusion of new talent).
                  I think Kathryn Powers left in season 2, and there were a couple of females through season 3. But I don't think since Season 4, there's been anything but men. And I agree a mixed writing team would be a good thing.

Can you imagine coming to work on this show, and everyone in the board room is of the same gender? Guh.

The more I think about it and the more we mention it, I really thought they had it right in the first season or two, and that's why it kinda took a while for me to realize just how far off course it went after that. Early on, it was like every now and then something would remind them they were sexually compatible, but neither of them got worked up about it in any way. For a long time, I kept seeing that, and I think that's what most of us did. Then you get to some episode - different ones for different people, but usually D&C or Grace - and you realize "OMG, they really expect us to buy this?"
                  The Hathor Legacy: What TV and Film are Really Saying about Women.

My Stargate Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Beta Candy
                    The more I think about it and the more we mention it, I really thought they had it right in the first season or two, and that's why it kinda took a while for me to realize just how far off course it went after that. Early on, it was like every now and then something would remind them they were sexually compatible, but neither of them got worked up about it in any way. For a long time, I kept seeing that, and I think that's what most of us did. Then you get to some episode - different ones for different people, but usually D&C or Grace - and you realize "OMG, they really expect us to buy this?"
                    If they would have just let it naturally develop I might have went along with it. Highly unlikely, but there's always a slim possibility that I would. D&C and Grace were waaaay overdone. I'm sure that there are even some shippers that would agree.

Are they completely stereotypical and do they think that ship will attract more of a female audience or something? I don't think it would, the people that do like stuff like that already have soap operas.

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                      If they would have just let it naturally develop I might have went along with it. Highly unlikely, but there's always a slim possibility that I would. D&C and Grace were waaaay overdone. I'm sure that there are even some shippers that would agree.
                      Trouble is, it didn't develop at all. There was some friendly banter and then there was a sudden 'I love you; now let us never speak of it again'...and then another, and another.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

Sally
                        aw thanks...

I guess I'm just confused because for that brief scene in The Light I was actually enjoying the ship.

But then I was on strong meds at the time.

I may re-watch to see how I feel. But ... oh I don't know.

aarrgghhhh!
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          Trouble is, it didn't develop at all. There was some friendly banter and then there was a sudden 'I love you; now let us never speak of it again'...and then another, and another.
                          Yeah, but that was written in. I'm saying if they just let them go and if there was any chemistry let whatever would happen- happen in the next to the last episode.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

Sally
                            Cookies for everyone!

MC- Be yourself! Be whatever's comfortable for you, and feel free to pop in anytime!
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                              Yeah, but that was written in. I'm saying if they just let them go and if there was any chemistry let whatever would happen- happen in the next to the last episode.
                              Oh, dear Christos, no! Nothing is going to happen without it being written and suddenly going 'surprise!' at the end is no way to handle any kind of ship. A ship does need chemistry, but it also needs to be developed by the writers and directors; Stargate isn't improvisational theatre, the makers can't just 'see what happens', they need a plan of some kind.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Hey, Major Clanger... I just watched The Light for the first time in a while, and in regards to your comment about seeing ship... I just have to ask... between who?

I think I'm just starting to see the whole show differently lately. Or else it's the stress... yes, lots of stress lately... that could be it...
                                The Hathor Legacy: What TV and Film are Really Saying about Women.

My Stargate Fanfiction

Comment

Working...
                                X