No announcement yet.

Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I for one actually havenever been bothered by the whole Sam/Jack relationship during the early seasons, it created a good dynamic between the characters and gave the show more layers. But then (and im sorry if this has already been said) after season four ended each season seems to take bigger and more dramatic steps towards their fellings. Now im all in favour for a happy ending for the characters but if they could just see sense to TONE IT DOWN! Not every fan of the show tunes in each week just to see the extent that their feelings go to!
    This show started out about a TEAM not a TWO and yet daniel and Teal'c seem to be constantly left aside to make room for Jack and Sams romantic entanglement.
    How I'd write out Jonas:

Jack: Danny, good to have you back.
    *Jonas starts to walk toward event-horizon, teary-eyed*
    *Daniel notices*
    Daniel: Hey Jonas!
    Jonas: Y..yes?
    *Daniel hands him his glasses and a 'rock'*
    Daniel: Here, if for any reason i cannot fully complete my duties as team archeoligist we'll dial you up and you can be the new 'Daniel'.
    Jonas: (excitedly) Really? wow, has it ever happened before?
    Daniel:Uh...no...
    Jonas: Oh boy! I have a dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Revet
      Not every fan of the show tunes in each week just to see the extent that their feelings go to!
      That's true, however more than once TPTB have said that all Stargate fans want the JS ship, so we got the massive attack in season 7 and God knows what will come with season 8.

This show started out about a TEAM not a TWO and yet daniel and Teal'c seem to be constantly left aside to make room for Jack and Sams romantic entanglement.
      Another sad truth and not necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        Hey, someone had to start it. May as well be me.

OK, as before, this thread if for folks who don't like Sam/Jack ship. It isn't open for discussion. No coming here to rant and rave about how Sam and Jack were Made For Each Other. No saying we're blind for not "seeing" ship. Try to keep it polite. Try not to bash people or opinions, but also try and have fun.
        Its not that i dont think they'd make a good couple...but it just doesnt fit in this series. I dont know...remember in x-files when mulder and scully hooked up? it was the end of the world *literally*

keep it professional kids...and lemme tell ya...i dont think sam likes fishing.

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
        Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
        Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Hi! I'm new here but I've had a look around and wanted to reply to this thread. )

I love all of the team members. As friends. That's what the show was about from the start. Friendship. I'm not against a LITTLE romance now and then but lately it's just been way over the top, IMHO.
          I'm especially against Sam/Jack ship because the two have NO chemistry between them whatsoever and I'd prefer to have the team as friends. Just friends.

Sam is better off with Pete and Jack is still in love with his wife, I think. Or Laira...yeah, Laira.

Chimera was good because that was ONE episode where you got two threads, both a little about relationships. That's enough. Now let's get some more scifi, mythology and exploration!
          It annoys me that lately the show seems just to be about Jack and Sam and their "forbidden romance".
          I didn't start watching the show because of them, I want to see scifi!!

Eh, sorry for the rant.
          Gaterelle

Comment

Okay...without reading the rest of the entries of this thread i'll put down my opinions on the Jack/Sam (or Sam/Jack...whichever you aprove of) thing.

Honestly...when they try to do something with Jack and Sam, it almost feels forced. *spoilers for...all seasons pretty much*

DNA IS FUN!!!

My first example, comes from the episode from which i have watched most recently where they have this issue, and that's from the season 4 episode of Beneath the Surface. I like using this as an example for the reason that the characters have no memory of who they once were. When looking at how they use the Jack and Sam characters in this episode, they show them hanging around each other quite a bit. It shows Jack being a kind person, looking out for other people (espeically people he has become close to) but thats how he is to anyone...i mean you could have replaced Sam with anybody Jack is close to and get the same effect. Sam is also shown to have compassion, but not neccesarily for Jack, but for everyone's general well being.

Anyway, the writers are using this as an excuse to show that they're a couple...i'm sorry but the first time i talked with the guy who is now my boyfriend had more sparks than any part of this episode. The writers are kind of showing "this is meant to be" with those two, but it just doesnt work.

When they're starting to remember who they are (or sharing images they see) you see a part where Sam leans up next to Jack...i dont know about you but i saw no chemistry in that. Jack has as blank of a look as ever, and the whole scene looks...forced. I mean i might as well have been watching sam disect a replicator...there's more passion in that actually. You want to see true love? watch jack when he's talking about the simpsons...that's LOVE right there.

Everyone looks to Window of Opportunity as another reason why they should hook up. Jack kissed Sam...of course Jack kissed Sam...but Jack could have kissed anybody...hell he could have kissed Hammond for all we know but of course they wouldnt show that. If i were in Jack's situation, i probably would have kissed Sam *okay, maybe not sam...but yeah*

Upgrades - Divide and Counter : we see the two acting touchy feely...again it feels forced, except for in upgrades when carter is stuck behind a force shield...but it is mentioned in divide and counter that jack would have rather died to save her *or whatever it was he said, i'm not remembering actual quote* but you know what...i would generally try to help someone else without reguard to my own situation...it comes to that whole "what would you do if your friend was about to fall off a cliff" type of deal.

Though i think the writers were starting to see how forced it was when they got to 2010. I like Sam's husband *and i liked him in 2001 too*. and while in Ascension Sam didnt say she had a date with Orlan, she didnt deny it either. If she truly loved jack, she would have been like "no, its not a date! i'm just catching up with a friend!"

I'm sure there's other references i can go to (the whole pete thing, everything else) but frankly i'm too lazy to...

Comment

D
              o

W
              e

N
              e
              e
              d

S
              p
              o
              i
              l
              e
              r

Space for seasons 1-6?

Jack kissed Sam...of course Jack kissed Sam...but Jack could have kissed anybody...hell he could have kissed Hammond for all we know but of course they wouldnt show that. If i were in Jack's situation, i probably would have kissed Sam *okay, maybe not sam...but yeah*
              Well, I love WoO, and if I thought it was a shippy episode, that would have affected my enjoyment of it. I agree, Jack kissing Sam didn't seem to me like any sign of love or affection. It was just him doing something he knew he could get away with. It looked like, "Hey, Sam's goodlooking, I'll never get the chance to kiss her again. Might as well."
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                D
                o

W
                e

N
                e
                e
                d

S
                p
                o
                i
                l
                e
                r

Space for seasons 1-6?

Well, I love WoO, and if I thought it was a shippy episode, that would have affected my enjoyment of it. I agree, Jack kissing Sam didn't seem to me like any sign of love or affection. It was just him doing something he knew he could get away with. It looked like, "Hey, Sam's goodlooking, I'll never get the chance to kiss her again. Might as well."
                that's what i thought as well! though if people really want to think there's a chance with jack and sam...i really cant complain...i mean i after all believe there's something with thor and heimdall that not many others seem to see heehee...

its just..it feels so forced sometimes when they're trying to put something there that really isnt there...it seems like jack still cant really let go and sam loves her job too much

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                  The elevator scene in Chimera. I loved Jack teasing Sam about her "hum-worthy" boyfriend.
                  This is my first post. Hopefully I won't make too many enemies by posting in this thread.

Just wanted to say that the "hum-worthy" scene always reminds me of Alien Nation --- they were always giving eachother "hummers"!!!

Back on topic --- I wish they could just drop the whole Sam/Jack thing. I thought they were bringing it to a close in Grace but they just keep it going. And personally I don't want to know what any of them do in their spare time unless it directly impacts their job. They need to go blow more stuff up.

If I offended anyone in any way just please smack me upside the head and tell me to go sit in a corner!

--- Nancy.
                  "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."
                  - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy
                    This is my first post. Hopefully I won't make too many enemies by posting in this thread.

Just wanted to say that the "hum-worthy" scene always reminds me of Alien Nation --- they were always giving eachother "hummers"!!!

Back on topic --- I wish they could just drop the whole Sam/Jack thing. I thought they were bringing it to a close in Grace but they just keep it going. And personally I don't want to know what any of them do in their spare time unless it directly impacts their job. They need to go blow more stuff up.

If I offended anyone in any way just please smack me upside the head and tell me to go sit in a corner!

--- Nancy.

oh man...i'm so so so offended! *cry*

just kidding! welcome to the board! you'll find naquadah laced cookies in the fridge...unless someone ate them all...

anyway i would like to see what they do in their free time when it doesnt involve their job...but not really romancy stuff...i wanna see jack watch the simpsons...and teal'c play video games...

Comment

In regards to the whole "SHIP" thing...

Frankly seeing Sam make goo-goo eyes at Jack has made me sick and very disappointed.
                      I liked Sam, and up until seeing THAT scene in Grace I could forgive her everything. I mean Jack is gorgeous I would have a little crush on him too. But, once Sam said that she would give up everything if he would just give a hint that he maybe felt the same way just put the nail on the coffin for me.
                      Having been a member of the armed forces let me tell you if any two officers acted this way, especially if one was subordinate to the other, they would have been court-martialed so fast that it would make your head spin!
                      I do think that TPTB have a responsibility to not only be entertaining but to stay inside the limits that they have set for themselves...i.e. Sam and Jack are both AF officers, they should act like it!
                      I didn't start watching SG-1 for Sam/Jack I watch for the mythology and the team. Its seems a shame that TPTB can't recognize that they have this great plot device(the Stargate), but they don't use it in favor of seeing Sam make goo-goo eyes at Jack.
                      To me Sam has really been made into the CHICK, which is a shame since it really didn't seem to matter that she was female until season 4.
                      In short (haha) Sam has lost all respect from me, and I would be really disappointed if they end the show with her and Jack together.

SHIFU
                      Your friendly neighborhood glowy being.

P.S. You would think they would take a hint from other shows, X-files, Moonlighting, Cheers...once the tension and UST is gone it just ruins the show.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Team4ever
                        P.S. You would think they would take a hint from other shows, X-files, Moonlighting, Cheers...once the tension and UST is gone it just ruins the show.
                        Oh, but all THOSE shows just did it wrong. Trust TPTB! They know what they're doing! They can do it RIGHT!!

Comment

Yeah right!!!
                          Trust the people that killed off Daniel, first with neglect then actually killing him off. The same people that gave us SillySuperSoldiers, GirlySam, SuperSam, Jonas!!
                          I don't think so!

SHIFU

Comment

Sure. They know they're getting rid of all the viewers that don't want to see the O'Neill/Carter stuff.

And what's wrong with kull warriors?
                            The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              OK, as before, this thread if for folks who don't like Sam/Jack ship.
                              Well, I do not dislike Sam/Jack ship, merely ambivalent at the moment. However, I'd like to get you folks' perspective on a S/J question -- not to discuss but to hear your opinion(s). Would this be the right thread to do so?
                              In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume

Well, I do not dislike Sam/Jack ship, merely ambivalent at the moment. However, I'd like to get you folks' perspective on a S/J question -- not to discuss but to hear your opinion(s). Would this be the right thread to do so?
                                I would have thought that this thread is full of our opinions on the subject. It's full of something, anyway. If you aren't looking for discussion, this place is probably better than the ship discussion thread, which contains a mix of views and everyone shooting holes in everyone else's viewpoints.

Comment

Working...
                                X