Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    Well, I'm taking this as what it is, a rumour. I can't stand definitively on believing or disbelieving. However, I don't think worrying about a lack of Jack/Daniel friendship necessarly disproves it. Lets say for the sake of argument that it's true, he was worried about slash, that didn't mean that he didn't want any friendship between them. Maybe he wanted to show that Jack was straight along with showing his friendship with Daniel. And, maybe he felt that tptb took it too far (Hey, wait guys. When I said I wanted Jack to have some sort of relationship with a woman because people are getting the wrong idea of Jack and Daniel, I didn't mean that there had to be a restraining order between them. Just make it clear that Jack doesn't think about Daniel that way, but he's still friends with the guy). Also, again, if it's true, he could have meant a relationship with a recurring character or something, and tptb chose Sam instead.
    Perhaps, though I'll still disbelieve until I have evidence otherwise. It just strikes me odd that RDA would think that a downplay in J/D's friendship and/or a romantic invovlement would scare off/convert the slash fans. He doesn't strike me as 'stupid' or 'naive'. Unless no one told him that to try and and do this one actually has to act enthusathic (sp?) to see the woman he is apparently 'in love' with.

And, you'd think tptb of tv shows would learn. You can't control the fans.
    One would think that - yet they persist in ignoring the obivous. Fans will believe/desire what they wish to. And very little of what TPTB decide will stop them no matter how displeased said TPTB are - unless lawsuits are issued and that is a one method for chasing off your fans.
    The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

Originally posted by littlebluestring
      im a shipper (cowers)

and i just wanna ask...

do you guys want jack or sam to get together with someone else? (as in jack/daniel or sam/daniel or whatever)
      We don't bite - unless provoked.

In answer to your question NO! I *don't* want any of the team paired together - the regulations are there for a reason as well as trust between teammates!

After seeing the debacle that TPTB have created in 'creating' ship I can safely say that I do not wish them to do ANY ship/slash at all on the show.

If they must, please let it be in passing, like either Jack/Daniel/Teal'c or Carter mentioning in passing to another memeber of the team. And that the romantic interest is someone outside the team and possibly ourside the SGC. I'm watching StarGate SG-1, not SoapGate SG-1.

Leave the pairings for fanfiction as in the premise of the show any relationship beyond friendship between memebers of the team is strictly forbidden. In ff the situations can be addressed, people moved to different teams and the 'don't ask, don't tell' motto put into proper context without ruining the show for anyone - be they shipper, anti-shipper/slasher or slasher.
      The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
        This is interesting.
        I just don't watch television for romance, I don't really watch much TV at all. I'm not a casual viewer, I turn it on when there is something specific I want to watch, then off it goes. I don't follow many shows.
        I've never heard of 'Mad About You' or 'Darma and Greg' and while I have heard of 'Friends', I just didn't find it even slightly amusing (my humour is more of the League of Gentlemen/Python school, but we all find different things amusing).
        I don't enjoy sitcoms and hate soap operas.
        I can't imagine watching a programme just for the romance between two characters, it's not what I'm interested in. I want a good solid story to amuse or entertain me. I don't dislike relationships in programmes but it's not my principal focus.

FF
        ...catching up on posts...

Hey FF, I am a Python fan too. I don't watch very much tv myself, with the exception of SG-1 and SGA, and maybe one or two other shows. I certainly don't watch it for romance myself. If it can be done well (and the characters have very good chemistry) and it's not the primary focus of the story, then I don't really mind. But it's not the only reason I watch and certainly not the main reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          I think in many ways, SG-1 is/was like a family... and Hammond was the father figure overseeing everything. So while it was acceptable to me that these family members found romance outside of their family structure, it was odd that they would want to romance one another (occupational demands aside). I suspect RDA felt the same which is why I think he was uncomfortable with romancing Carter. To their credit, TPTB were very good at portraying the familial relationship... because I was drawn to it... the banter and the pathos. It was really the glue that held the show together. This was also evident in S1 of Atlantis. Romance between cast members just didn't fit into the show's ethos.
          I agree wholeheartedly. I loved the way they portrayed the sort of family dynamic. It was sad how they seemed to veer away from it, and I have some reservations with this upcoming season. I hope that they will manage to stick with the team dynamic and not highlight the relationships between certain people.

I've read a few RDA interview snippets and it does seem like he was uncomfortable with it - as if he just wants the characters to be friends. AT has said similar things, although she has said on occasion (especially recently) that she wouldn't mind them getting together if Carter isn't in his line of command anymore. The way she said it seemed jokey, though, so I think (and HOPE) that she was kidding there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jace021903
            Perhaps that's why some fans had such a negative reaction to Divide and Conquer. Even though, Jack occassionally noticed that Sam was a girl, the show very much had a family feel to it. They went a totally different way with the dynamics in season 4. I miss the family feel; it's what attracted me to the show more than anything else.
            Couldn't agree more, Jace! I've heard some people speculate that the reason Sam's hair was grown longer in early season 4 was to make her look more "girly" and that Jack would notice her more. Not sure whether I believe it or not...

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox
              Foxy's rules of being a slash fan. Develop -
              a. a thick skin.
              b. the ability to be able to read between the lines
              c. to ignore canon which you don't like
              d. and most important of all, a sense of humour

Not that this has much to do with being anti Sam/Jack, I was a O'Brien/Bashir fan in DS9 and loved both Keiko and Ezri (particularly together... )
              And I love Sam in SG1. All slash fans hating Sam is just as much a myth as all Sam or S/J fans hating Daniel.

FF
              Very good way to put it. I have very similar guidelines for my ship (though I'm still working on developing a thick skin...lol). And I agree, it is a generalization to say that all S/J fans hate Daniel. I know there is a group of them that do hate him, as I've seen it before, but certainly not all of them.

Comment

im a shipper (cowers)

and i just wanna ask...

do you guys want jack or sam to get together with someone else? (as in jack/daniel or sam/daniel or whatever)
                In principle I'm a sam/daniel shipper. But realistically I don't want to see any ship on the show at all. I don't trust tptb after the mess they made (imho) with the S/J stuff in eps like Divide and Conquer and Threads. I just leave the shipping to fanfic. What I would like to see in the show is friendship between all of the team members.

The team dynamic was part of what drew me into the show and I hope to see it continue (though I'm not too optimistic about this coming season).

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                  What were they thinking? With the exception of D&C all the awkwardness and declarations (or half declarations) all fell on Sam to give. And, they couldn't let it happen at fairly good moments, but they always picked the worst times. Either Jack dying from the Ancient device, or him with another woman, or something like that. It's like they wanted Sam to be the poster girl for bad timing.
                  It's funny, I'll never forget that scene where Daniel and Janet tell Sam that Jack was going to volunteer to be tested again for being a za'tarc. Sam got all up in arms and then they show in slow motion, Jack walking down the corridor to be tested. She objects and Daniel says that it's his decision. She gets up anyway and runs after him. I could just imagine what was going through Daniel's (and Janet's) head because that reaction didn't seem very natural to me, like it was forced. They've been friends and suddenly she's so worried that he could die. It makes me wonder if she would have reacted the same way if it was Daniel or Teal'c in Jack's position.

Comment

im a shipper (cowers)

and i just wanna ask...

Hi there,

Speaking for myself, I have no interest in seeing romance between anyone on the show at this time. The writers don't write it well in my opinion.
                    Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
                      Because Carter is a poor desperate geeky woman whose life is about to come to an end because she's turning 40 [sarcastic]and off course everybody knows that when a woman turns 40 her life is as good as over[/sarcastic]. And she would be the luckiest woman on earth and oh... so... blessed if a dashing hero like O'neill paid attention to her, then she'd be the luckiest woman on earth.
                      And Jack is so clueles because duh! [sarcastic]manly men know nothing about feelings[/sarcastic] feelings are for chicks .
                      Yuck, pass me the sick bag, that's the most disgusting thing I've read on this board. I thought that mentality had died a sad death in the 70's.
                      Sadly, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
                        It's funny, I'll never forget that scene where Daniel and Janet tell Sam that Jack was going to volunteer to be tested again for being a za'tarc. Sam got all up in arms and then they show in slow motion, Jack walking down the corridor to be tested. She objects and Daniel says that it's his decision. She gets up anyway and runs after him. I could just imagine what was going through Daniel's (and Janet's) head because that reaction didn't seem very natural to me, like it was forced. They've been friends and suddenly she's so worried that he could die. It makes me wonder if she would have reacted the same way if it was Daniel or Teal'c in Jack's position.
                        I think this might be the whole point. She would have done the same if it had been Daniel or Teal'c. If you really think about it, anyone who was told that a close friend or teammate was going to do something that risky would probably have the same reaction she did. If a friend of mine was going to do that and I had just been informed of it, I would jump up and try to talk them out of it or at least discuss it with them. But, again, I see her response being the same regardless which one of her teammates or friends that it was.

I've not watched that episode in forever since I hate what happened to Martouf, and he is my preferred ship with Carter, so I can't remember the details of it, but wasn't there some hint that he was doing it because they couldn't risk Sam's brain being destroyed or something? I have that vague feeling there was something about that and her reaction was partly due to the fact that he was doing it because they couldn't risk destroying her mind and besides he'd rather be dead than asleep or something. Its been too long ago since I saw it to rememeber all of the gory details. Actually, it is probably because in my world that episode never happened. I've ignored it for so long now that I'm surprised I can remember any of it.

I just wish they would leave ship completely out of it. I don't even want a hint that they have a significant other away from the show. After the Pete debacle I've decided they can't get any of it right and I don't want them to even try anymore. Actually, I never wanted them to try in the first place and would just as soon they forgot about it now.

I prefer it when they take turns doing the Kirk thing and I think they had it right in the first few seasons when they each took turns having a passing interest with someone from another world. That at least they seemed to get halfway right simply because it was a passing thing. At least then we wouldn't have Carter being portrayed as an aging woman that never outgrew her teenage responses and O'Neill being portrayed as a dumb clueless "guy". Both incarnations are beneath the dignity of the characters and have done nothing good for either of them.

Pagan

Pagan Twylight's
                        Stargate SG-1
                        Tok'Ra FriendlyFanfiction
                        http://www.pagantwylight.com
                        Symbiotica
                        http://tokra.fandomnet.com/fic2/index.php
                        There comes a moment of sadness, with the setting of the sun.
                        Not for the sins committed, but for the things I have not done.
                        Minot Savage

Comment

Originally posted by JessM
                          I've read a few RDA interview snippets and it does seem like he was uncomfortable with it - as if he just wants the characters to be friends. AT has said similar things, although she has said on occasion (especially recently) that she wouldn't mind them getting together if Carter isn't in his line of command anymore. The way she said it seemed jokey, though, so I think (and HOPE) that she was kidding there.
                          ep 200?
                          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by kalicokatt
                            I've not watched that episode in forever since I hate what happened to Martouf, and he is my preferred ship with Carter, so I can't remember the details of it, but wasn't there some hint that he was doing it because they couldn't risk Sam's brain being destroyed or something?
                            Yes, he said something about her brain being more valuable or something.

I tend to agree with you - she would be just as amxious about another team member risking themslev in this way; and she probably felt some personal angst over the revelation that one of the reasons he was risking it was the hope they'd discover something that might help her.
                            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                              Don't know about that - RDA was Executive Producer. His name came before the the title of the show. He had a very big say. If he hadn't wanted it there he could have put his foot down.

In a recent interview AT says that she resented the ship, though.

I heard a rumour that one reason RDA wanted some kind of current female love interest for Jack (whether consumated or otherwise) was because he didn't like the Jack/Daniel slash aspects of fandom, and wanted to make it clear that Jack is het. Can't authenticate that one as yet, though.
                              hi, scari. would you mind telling me/showing me where amanda said this? you can answer me in the sam thread (if you don't mind).

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

I don't think I've watched D&C since the first time I saw it. So, I don't remember it at all. But, I love Upgrades. One of my top favorite Stargate episodes. And, I'm baffled as to what thought process went into deciding to turn one aspect of that episode into a shippy episode later. I mean, Upgrades! An episode where Jack, Sam, and Daniel get superpowers. Where they cause trouble and get into a fight at a bar. Where Teal'c is smug. It was a fun episode. Lighthearted. 3 SG1 members gain strength and lose common sense. Sure, Jack and Sam were trapped for awhile, but does that translate into luv? I guess it does in the minds of tptb, because I can't think of anything in that episode that would make a lightbulb go off in anyone's head.
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X