Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luthienberen
    Cosmic romance is what I heard somewhere one of TPTB remarking on, can't remember where though. Cosmic romance also is too much - ARs hold what could have been in OUR Reality ... OUR Universe ... Hence, if we still exist in those realities we may have been shaped by completely different circumstances, leading to possibly VERY different consequences and situations. The person we may be, might be uncompatablie with the same person we are with (or in love/lust) in THIS reality.

There are too many probablities to consider, too many paths upon which our entire history could have diverged that it is essensitly extremely difficult to hazard with 100% certainty that these two people would be together in EVERY reality if given the chance. No, for example: Reality A: military J might not even like civilian Carter - if he even met her, and vice versa. Military J might be very cold and hateful of anything civilian. He may not even want to marry or have children. Civvie Carter - perhaps she hates the military, pershaps she is already married, maybe she is not strong enough to stand up and be noticed etc...

Reality B: Jack's son did not shoot himself, hence Jack and Sara most likely remain together - and in the book and according to Dean Devlin and Ronald Emmerich (who intended on Jack and Sarah on reuniting) Jack very much wishes to try and repair their broken marriage, mend the rift mainly caused by his silence and guilt. So, even if Jack and Carter meet (unlikey) J is married - and he doesn't strike me as the man (at least, from what we know in this reality) who would cheat on his wife.

Reality C: military J and military C meet. No restrictions. Yet, what sort of people are they? Is J still bitter? Hates life? Was he ever married to Sara? If not, then does he even feel the urge to marry? And then have children? Does C wish to marry and/or have children? Maybe she is even more unbearable than she is in our reality?

Unless TPTB are suggesting (and it seems so) that in EVERY reality, if possible, Jack and Carter would get together, which I find laughble, or that his son dies in EVERY reality which is horrific. The Jack of OUR reality doesn't even like Carter!

Our experiences make us who we are and are Jack and Carter compatible in this universe let alone another one? I venture not. Maybe, they are in another reality, but I doubt that too.

Heck, the StarGate probably wasn't even discovered/opened in some realities! And without Daniel Jackson to find the key? Who would open it? It would have to be someone similiar to how Daniel would have been.

I do believe in true love (varying in alternate universes due to life experiences): my parents pretty much fill that bill - oh they argue and everything but they loved each other pratcially from the first, however, if you ARE going to go down that route you have to possess the ability to write it realisticy. Something TPTB have shown they can't do.

Apologies for my spelling - too tired to check every single word.
    Very interesting points. I actually wrote a story that involved Sam and Daniel accidentally meeting in an AU. Sam is a civilian and teaches at a university. Daniel is a professor at the same university. Jack is married to Sara, and is actually non-military in the story. The Stargate does exist, but it doesn't figure into their lives until Daniel and Sam are recruited by the USAF, due to interesting evidence they found and co-presented (it had both an archaeological/anthropological and astronomical aspect). Sam is meeker and not as self-assured in this story, and Daniel is a bit more shy as well (plus, his parents didn't die, but he had a falling out with them and became estranged from them).

I am planning a sequel, which details them arriving at the SGC and going through the gate - where they find a quantum mirror and end up in THIS reality. I look forward to exploring how they (our Sam and Jack) feel when they realize there is an alternate reality out there where they are not together (and it will not be S/J ship by any means!).

It's fun exploring all the possibilities in AUs.

Comment

I like Daniel with long hair and without muscle and not being soldier boy.
      *sigh* I really truly miss my geeky Jackson .

The Jack of OUR reality doesn't even like Carter!
      Too true, or maybe we're missing the point and this reality is the one that shows us that they don't get together on every single reality? .

Comment

'Canon' and 'OTP' on SG-1 is truly annoying and has led to much bitterness - which TPTB fuel.

AUs are balm and in them practically ANYTHING can happen without runing the actual show or causing this amount of hate and bitter rivalries. Read what you will but beware the warnings!

Yay! I'm not alone (only met one other person) with Season 1 being my fave then! 2 and 3 are definitely tied close second. Season 6 is next simply because I really do like Jonas.

The Fifth Race - yes, devoid of ship. Beautiful. And you know what? I never considered it in those terms until now, though it naturally is a reason! The ep is just so good ... and ... come to think about it ... I can't remember Carter showing any true emotions of loss towards Jack: only Teal'c and of course Daniel. One of their best friendship eps out there.

Oooh, OT, but, what did you think of The Torment of Tantalus?

Nice icon btw JessM. Daniel as he should be.
        So true about the bitterness fueled by OTP and Canon. I think that one reason why JM stopped posting his blog was that a lot of arguments took place, I think fueled in part by the hints/spoilers he gave for future episodes (some which I believe seemed to indicate some sort of "pairing" between Daniel and Vala).

I first started watching the show during Season 6, so it does have a soft spot in my heart, even though Daniel was gone (though he did appear in three episodes). I also didn't hate Jonas, as a lot of my friends did.

That's a good point about Fifth Race... I didn't notice any true emotions of losing Jack shown by Sam, either. I also liked how the JD friendship was presented. I liked how Daniel said that he wouldn't go on the mission with SG-1 because he couldn't leave Jack.

I quite like Torment of Tantalus. I like how it revisited some aspects of the movie with Daniel going to see Catherine. I also enjoyed seeing Daniel in his element as far as the "meaning of life stuff" went. The wide-eyed, awed, inspired Daniel is so endearing to me, and he's doing what he does best. Plus it's another episode devoid of ship.

Thanks for the compliments on the icon. I really love Daniel this way. A bit off topic, but speaking of which, have you seen the new Season 10 promotional photos? I don't really like the way Daniel looks (apart from the fact that they're all Photoshopped/airbrushed too much)... finding it hard to get used to the new glasses, and the hair is too short for my tastes (almost reminds me of Jack's hair). I know everyone says he must change, the glasses are more modern, etc etc. But personally I find it not such a good look for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
          *sigh* I really truly miss my geeky Jackson .
          He truly was great wasn't he? Can you imagine if James Spader was introduced to his character as he is now? He would be horrified probably - or at least not recognise Dr.Daniel Jackson as I heard someone comment once.

I don't recongise the Daniel Jackson these days - in my mind he doesn't even hold the essence of what he used to be. And that is sad. When you 'change' to to extent that you can no longer be seen as what you were and and meant to be (man who opened the gate and best lingusit/Egyptologist there is), then what is the point? No reason to watch eh?

Daniel Jackson was the civilian on the team. His job was first contact, translation and care of the archelogical (sp?) side of travel. He was NEVER meant to be the soldier! That is the job of the OTHER THREE members of SG-1: the trianed warriors. Holding a gun (pistol?) to defend himself fine ... but honestly. Would the real military really allow a civilian to handle a P-90 - machine gun? Highly unlikey.

If he becomes a soldier then what makes him unique on the team? Soldiers are everywhere on the base - people of his standard are not that common.

Too true, or maybe we're missing the point and this reality is the one that shows us that they don't get together on every single reality? .
          Oh. MY. PLEASE NOOOOOOO!!!
          The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

I have a different take on Daniel (don't feel he's changed anymore than 9 years and extreme circumstances would change a man), but it's not really on topic here. If you want to get into a nice detailed and long (because I can dig into a subject and beat a dead horse like nobody's business) discussion/debate on Daniel, then I suggest the Daniel discussion thread -link in my sig.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Catching up on posts too JessM! lol

Originally posted by JessM
              Exactly. None of them are perfect, and they should be treated as such.
              Unfortunately they are not. Some fans cannot allow ANY - or very little - cricticism of their favoured character(s). Which is sad and undermines the point of debate, discussion and friendly disagreement (i.e. live and let live).

I also like Daniel better as a scientist than as a soldier, and I agree about ship resulting in the devolution of the characters. This might be a stretch, but it almost makes me wonder if it's part of the reason why Daniel's character seemed to be marginalized (I know part of it was due to those storylines involving the NID and things like that).
              Er, just to clear up something that irrtates me: Daniel is NOT a scientist! He does NOT have a Bachelor of Science, but a Bachelor of Arts and the same with his Doctorate(s). A scientist (like my father: microbiolgist) is someone who studys science, which consists of four main branches (that do overlap occasionally): Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences and Physics.

Now, Daniel may use science in carbon dating and such but he is not (as is no archelogist unless they have a BSc or relevant PhD) a scientist - unless things are very different in the USA. Sorry, just had to release some steam! *sheepish*

Anyway, I fully believe that Daniel's marginalisation has to do with ship - it was about this time of a split in their friendship (J/D) and the lessening of his character and Teal'cs that ship was promoted as the best thing EVER. Suspicous.

I agree completely... it does seem that RDA and MS have more chemistry than AT does with RDA.
              Yes! I'm not the only one!

I don't blame you. I've always liked Jack's character, but I resented what he became in the later seasons as well. It was enough that his time was greatly reduced starting in season 6 and continuing through 8, but the way he was utilized was what really got me. He seemed very one-note.
              I agree, whenever they did have RDA present TPTB used his time poorly and I am sick and tired of people howling that it was difficult to organise/it is RDA's fault! Forcyringoutloud! If TPTB cannot cope with a difficult timetable with an actor who they were desperate to keep (and who wished to leave) then they could at least ATTEMPT to write him IN character!

Otherwise, what they did was lazy writing. And poor RDA ... what coudl he do with what they gave? He obviously didn't want to be there most of the time: looked exhausted and bored, and was fed stupid ship, which basically said, "Your character (Jack) is only good for two things: (1)ship and (2)to make Carter look good therefore you must be stupid and 1D instead of the complex man you once were.

Ship has ALOT to answer for.

Oh, of course! It's a ship that spans ALL universes and realities!
              That is a scary thought because some fans seem to believe it apparently!

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                I have a different take on Daniel (don't feel he's changed anymore than 9 years and extreme circumstances would change a man), but it's not really on topic here. If you want to get into a nice detailed and long (because I can dig into a subject and beat a dead horse like nobody's business) discussion/debate on Daniel, then I suggest the Daniel discussion thread -link in my sig.
                Thanks for the link - and naughty me for getting off topic. But just quickly to say: I understand people change in nine years, heck I've changed dramatically in the last three years let alone nine. But I *still* do not feel that Daniel's change was in line or in character with what we've seen before. To me it was MS instead of Daniel I viewed later. He lost the 'essence' of Daniel and is unlikeable in my opinion today.

The man who led the way.

Comment

Er, just to clear up something that irrtates me: Daniel is NOT a scientist! He does NOT have a Bachelor of Science, but a Bachelor of Arts and the same with his Doctorate(s). A scientist (like my father: microbiolgist) is someone who studys science, which consists of four main branches (that do overlap occasionally): Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences and Physics.

Now, Daniel may use science in carbon dating and such but he is not (as is no archelogist unless they have a BSc or relevant PhD) a scientist - unless things are very different in the USA. Sorry, just had to release some steam! *sheepish*
                  Clearly you've never had to fight a processualist. In America, archaeology is a junior branch of anthropology and it is treated as a scientific study. If you ask, they will happily discourse on the matter of the hypothetico-deductive process (which basically involves trying to equate the scholarly study of the past with scientific method) and argue until they are blue in the face that archaeology is a science. I never understood why they should want to myself, but it may be a prestige thing.

Hmm. Better say something on topic.

I can't escape the feeling that Daniel became more butch because they moved elements of his character onto Sam. When describing SG-1 in terms of the classic TV Team (Fearless Leader, Strong Guy, Intellectual, Chick, Optional Rebel), I unhesitatingly characterised Sam as the intellectual one and Daniel as the 'Chick', which is to say the compassionate, empathic one. In later series, these traits seem to have been bounced onto Sam, to the detriment of both characters.

This of course relates to ship because a part of that 'chick' status involves being the one most in need of an emotional partner. As the intellectual, Sam was a kind of voluntary celibate; you felt that she might take the sex if it wasn't cutting into her motorcycle maintenance time, but she was basically fulfilled by her job. (Which brings me back to my old bugbear about Divide and Conquer, which I maintain killed the ship by making it clear that neither one of them was prepared to choose the other over SG-1).
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

So true about the bitterness fueled by OTP and Canon. I think that one reason why JM stopped posting his blog was that a lot of arguments took place, I think fueled in part by the hints/spoilers he gave for future episodes (some which I believe seemed to indicate some sort of "pairing" between Daniel and Vala).

I first started watching the show during Season 6, so it does have a soft spot in my heart, even though Daniel was gone (though he did appear in three episodes). I also didn't hate Jonas, as a lot of my friends did.

That's a good point about Fifth Race... I didn't notice any true emotions of losing Jack shown by Sam, either. I also liked how the JD friendship was presented. I liked how Daniel said that he wouldn't go on the mission with SG-1 because he couldn't leave Jack.

I quite like Torment of Tantalus. I like how it revisited some aspects of the movie with Daniel going to see Catherine. I also enjoyed seeing Daniel in his element as far as the "meaning of life stuff" went. The wide-eyed, awed, inspired Daniel is so endearing to me, and he's doing what he does best. Plus it's another episode devoid of ship.

Which is why J/S is not plasuible in my opinion. There is hardly any time in the early Seasons (actually can't remember any) where Jack or Carter showed feelings beyond colleagues - whenever they were forced to it came off just that: forced.

A Matter of Time is a prime example. J is horrified and disgusted that C is so eager to witness a scientific phenomen that she is willing (read forget) to watch good men die. And even when J says switch it off, she doesn't realise until it is explanied in little words so she can understand. And then? She says sorry but hardly looks very repentent. At that very moment it is clear that J feels contempt towards C and how could he not?

J and C are two very different people. Opposites do attract but this takes the biscuit. J values life more than C from what I can see, and before the cry 'she is a scientist so naturally she would forget!' comes, I'll say this: my father is a scientist, I have worked with scientists - met more than a few, and I know that not every scientist would forget the men suffering out there. It reflects POORLY on C as a scientist, she is NOT someone I would like to work with.

Also, there is very little (none IMO) about C as a person or soldier/scientist to like, especially from J's view. Here is a woman who after eight years STILL couldn't give him the bare facts but instead rattled on until either he or Hammond practically screamed 'Carter/Major/Lt Col' etc and told her to just get to the point.

After working in the military for so long before she reached the SGC and then after, C cannot cut down her lectures or put them in lay man terms?

Her cold bloodness, inability to give quick lectures and from what we see as an audience someone who takes credit for other peoples' work, not a good soldier and so on: is this truly someone J would like? Let alone fall in 'love' with? Or even 'lust'?

Also C ses him as Sir and J does not encourage her to call by his name at all.

C appears to look down her nose at him then moon over him - disgusting. So? J/S is not realistic IMO.

Thanks for the compliments on the icon. I really love Daniel this way. A bit off topic, but speaking of which, have you seen the new Season 10 promotional photos? I don't really like the way Daniel looks (apart from the fact that they're all Photoshopped/airbrushed too much)... finding it hard to get used to the new glasses, and the hair is too short for my tastes (almost reminds me of Jack's hair). I know everyone says he must change, the glasses are more modern, etc etc. But personally I find it not such a good look for him.
                    Eps devioid of ship are a lifeline. Daniel? Saw a little of S10 promo shots even though I am not going to watch it. MS as Daniel looks ghastly. His hair - his manner - reminds me more of a soldier than Daniel. Ah, 'must change' ... the blanket excuse used to defend all decisions made that may be unpopular. Screw that I say. Change for the sake of change is not change but stupidity and laziness.

If I wanted to watch soldier!Daniel who is bland, rude and channeling J to the point it isn't amusing or can be said to be 'freinds brushing off on each other' instead of unique Daniel, then I'd watch. Or better switch to a programme that ahs a bunch of soldiers running across my screen. After all, it is all the same now isn't it? Nothing unique about D, C, T or J these days or SG-1. Not all change is good, particulary done for 'must change'.

Now'll I stop getting off topic.

______

Gen vids have ship?!? Damn, it really HAS spread! That is horrible and I agree - if they have even a *tiny* amount of ship (of any kind) then they ought to be called 'ship' not 'gen' vids. They also should only sell gen vids at cons unless they are canon in the sense of Daniel/Sha'uri and/or Jack/Sara (movie & Cold Lazarus!).

The man who led the way.

Comment

I really don't have that bad an opinion of Sam. I thought ship was detrimental to her character, but without it, I like her. And, honestly, she's not the only one who can give more info in a lecture than the listeners want to hear.

Really, there are a lot of comments about Daniel that I'd enjoy rebutting (is that a word?) but I don't want to be off topic.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                        Clearly you've never had to fight a processualist. In America, archaeology is a junior branch of anthropology and it is treated as a scientific study. If you ask, they will happily discourse on the matter of the hypothetico-deductive process (which basically involves trying to equate the scholarly study of the past with scientific method) and argue until they are blue in the face that archaeology is a science. I never understood why they should want to myself, but it may be a prestige thing.
                        Neither do I. Nor would I belive them, as I said, D may use scientific mehtodoly but it doesn't make himself a scientist.

As for the debators ... unless they hold a BSc and/or Masters in a science, PhD in a science I wouldn't agree. But that is just me.

I can't escape the feeling that Daniel became more butch because they moved elements of his character onto Sam. When describing SG-1 in terms of the classic TV Team (Fearless Leader, Strong Guy, Intellectual, Chick, Optional Rebel), I unhesitatingly characterised Sam as the intellectual one and Daniel as the 'Chick', which is to say the compassionate, empathic one. In later series, these traits seem to have been bounced onto Sam, to the detriment of both characters.

This of course relates to ship because a part of that 'chick' status involves being the one most in need of an emotional partner. As the intellectual, Sam was a kind of voluntary celibate; you felt that she might take the sex if it wasn't cutting into her motorcycle maintenance time, but she was basically fulfilled by her job. (Which brings me back to my old bugbear about Divide and Conquer, which I maintain killed the ship by making it clear that neither one of them was prepared to choose the other over SG-1).
                        EXACTLY! 100% agree. Well said! Ship did indeed swtich these characteristics to each other because Carter had to fit a mould. It was a detriment to both characters - what made StarGAte and SG-1 unique was that there wasn't these moulds that eveyrone fit into, and it was shown thorught the episodes.

I rather have 'chick' Daniel to butch Daniel. And even though I do not like C in any incarnation at least 'butch' C brought one relief to me: a professional woman who wasn't dressed in some costume that made her look like a sex toy. Not now.

Ship helped this along and why should I like caring D replaced by a jerk and professional C with a sex doll?

The man who led the way.

Comment

Well, I just have to say, imo, I don't see a jerk when I see Daniel, I see many instances of caring and concern from him. He still has most of the characteristics I fell in love with in the early seasons. I'd make a detailed list of why I see it that way, but again, this isn't the thread for that. I just feel like there's a whole lot I disagree with, and I can't help wanting to say why I disagree (not to change anyone's minds, or say that your opinion isn't valid) but I don't think I should here.

Anyway, back to ship. I don't think Jack dislikes Sam. I don't think he holds her in contempt. I saw some nice moments where he seemed to have the attitude of a proud commander. Prisoners, talking to Linnea, was one. To me, the original team was a family, and there wasn't any strong feelings of animosity between any of them. I just don't get the feeling that Jack likes Sam that way. I see no romantic feelings towards her. Which is fine. I wish they would have kept the CO/2IC, mentor/mentee relationship that I thought was a good one.
                          Last edited by Dani347; 14 June 2006, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I also liked the Daniel/Sha'uri in the movie, and I quite like Jack/Sara myself. I loved them together in Cold Lazarus, that scene where they hug and Sara says that the other guy (CrystalJack) told her they were really great together, and Jack answered "We were the best." It would have been nice to see/hear from her more, but I guess they thought that would get in the way of S/J.
                            I have the horrible sneaking suspicion that is one of the reasons why they kept J and Sara separate. But have you noticed how, whenever J has been paired off with any women in SG-1 bar C he has great chemistry? A 100 hundred days for example ~ Laira wasn't it? Yet the minute RDA and AT are told to do ship they couldn't do romance if it bit them on the ass? No disrepect to the actor and actrees - but the mintue they get in character and play 'romance' between J and C there is nada?

I really wish they kept J and Sara together, and left shipping to fanfiction, where the AU lives in glory JessM!

The man who led the way.

Comment

Well, I'd speculate that they were trying to play it that way, but I don't think the directors would let them do things that didn't fit with what they were going for. So, maybe it's a way of dangling the carrot. Never play it fully, because then they'd have to completely acknowledge it, and I don't think they wanted to. They wanted to be able to dance right up to the line without being accused of going over. That way, they could say nothing actually happened.

Of course, there is the fact that it all comes down to interpretation. I know there are people who saw a ton of romance in their scenes. So, maybe it's just that we don't see it and they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                                Second, I really don't like the feeling that because you dislike ship for one reason, that it means that it's the only reason and people can box every opinion you have into that one thing. It's a phenomenon I've noticed in a lot of things, beyond ship. People zone in on one criticism, and suddenly every objection you make becomes, "well, you just don't like this because -insert one dimensional criticism" while ignoring that a person may have many reasons for not liking something...
                                Would that be shipism?

I agree. It always fascinates (and saddens) me when people want to discuss their perceptions of the personalities of those who disagree with them rather than the issue at hand. Is it so they can dislike them and/or feel superior???

Doesn't make any sense to me. People like or dislike things for complex reasons sometimes and for simple reasons other times. Just taking a look at this thread and the various people on it, it is easy to see that there is no one-size-fits-all type person.

For myself, I was fine with the little hints between Jack and Sam until they started messing around with Sam's professionalism and making her act in ways that made me roll my eyes at her. Simple as that. I don't hate Sam.

However, if someone does hate Sam, what's wrong with that? Nothing, just like there is nothing wrong with disliking (or liking) any of the other characters--Daniel, Mitchell, Jack, Teal'c, Vala, etc...

The disdain with which people treat each other over a TV show boggles the mind sometimes.
                                Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

Working...
                                X