Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darklilac
    I don't want romance in the show, but the writers transformed Stargate into a soap opera, and the ship is here to stay, so why should Daniel be left outside alone? (snippage) I can't think of seeing all those people kissing and hugging and Daniel in the background alone.
    I dunno, Darklilac, I'd rather see Daniel involved in something more fulfilling for him than a run-of-the-mill Romance. I think he *deserves* to be happy, but there are other types of happiness than that, as many single-and-loving-it people can and WILL tell you.

Why couldn't he find friend who just loves archeology/name other discipline as much as HE does -- and that someone doesn't have to be Sarah, it doesn't have to be Romantic, and it can totally be a meeting-of-the-minds kind of thing. Just friends with someone who wants to learn as much as he does.

Everyone paired off on the show by the end of the show is just incredibly barfy to me. So smarmy.

Comment

I don't want romance in the show, but the writers transformed Stargate into a soap opera, and the ship is here to stay, so why should Daniel be left outside alone?
      Normally I wouldn't want him paired and having sex and all this stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Stargate, but it's a sad truth that in season 8 we will have to endure a neverending series of romantic stories, weddings and shippy scenes, so I can't think of seeing all those people kissing and hugging and Daniel in the background alone.
      I see what you're saying. And I don't like the way Daniel has been so underused in s7 either. But I'd be happier with an under-used Daniel in s8 than a give-him-a-girlfriend-so-as-not-to-be-left-out Daniel. The implication that there is something Wrong or Missing or Unlucky about a person who is single is something that tends to annoy me. Some people think a single person is by definition an unfortunate soul who needs to join a dating agency pronto. (Although this seems to be rather more commonly thought about women than men, I reckon.)

If Daniel is in the background, then he's in the background, whether it's alone or with a hastily-contrived girlfriend. What I want most for Daniel is that he be Danielish. Anyone can get a girlfriend, but there are so many things that can only be done by Daniel. I'd rather see those things.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        The implication that there is something Wrong or Missing or Unlucky about a person who is single is something that tends to annoy me. Some people think a single person is by definition an unfortunate soul who needs to join a dating agency pronto. (Although this seems to be rather more commonly thought about women than men, I reckon.)
        Amen to that. Yes, romance is all very nice, but it isn't essential to a happy life. I resent the implication on television (not just Stargate, although they're getting very heavy-handed of late) that you need a "significant other" in your life in order to feel "complete".

This is a science fiction show, it's supposed to be about scifi, about action, about drama, about funny moments... it's not supposed to be about who's banging who or who wants to hop in the sack with someone.

Stargate is not Friends with aliens.

Comment

If Daniel is in the background, then he's in the background, whether it's alone or with a hastily-contrived girlfriend. What I want most for Daniel is that he be Danielish. Anyone can get a girlfriend, but there are so many things that can only be done by Daniel. I'd rather see those things.
          Very well said Madeleine. That's how I feel. I really want to see Daniel doing things that can only be done by Daniel. I'd rather not have him tainted by the "must pair them up" disease that has infected the rest of SG-1 than have him tainted by it just so he isn't "left out". Sometimes it's better to be left out and this is one of them I think.

And there are some people for whom there is only one and maybe Daniel is one of those people. He had Shar'e, maybe that is all there is going to be for him. It gives the character...character. It would be a quirk or imperfection or fate that is his own and makes him who he is.

It doesn't mean people with only one true love or perhaps even no true love end up miserable and alone, it just means they aren't someone's husband or wife. There are many many other things one can be, valuable things besides being someone's husband or wife.

Comment

Quick comment here: I'd almost like to change the title of this thread to:

NO SHIP AT ALL PLEASE! thread.

Because, well, I for one don't want to see any ship at all on the show -- from the ugly Prometheus, to the J&S ship, to non-stargate plot-line ship, to ship between main characters, to any ship at all.

It's not just the J&S ship I dislike. It's the way the writers write it. It's the way the actors act it. I don't like the Noah's Ark Disease that is cropping up. It's part of why I so intensely dislike the Daniel/Janet ship. That only developed because the actors wanted to amp it up because Jack and Sam had it going. Ick. (IMHO, of *course*) It's how most any ship at all seems inappropriate on this show. It doesn't do anything to move stories forward, or characters anywhere except in a crazy circle.

The only ship(s) that seemed to help move the story of Stargate forward were Teal'cs': with Shaun'ac, and Drey'ac. His wife died because she finally agreed with Teal'cs ideal, and it DID affect him, and his relationship with his son. And Drey'ac, because her death at the hand of the Goa'uld she nutured in her body enraged him, and became a driving force in his character for quite a while.

Does ship add "humanity" to Stargate? With the way the writers are writing the characters now, they're only adding "inanity" to Stargate. Does it add a human touch? Love is part of the human condition. So is rage, hate, compassion, thirst for knowledge, new things to find out, new people to meet, fear of the unknown, apathy, kindness...there is SO MUCH MORE to humans than the need for Romantic Love that the current PTB seem to think. There's platonic love. There's wanton love. There's all shades of love beyond that of the cheesy Harlequinn stuff they think passes for love.

Comment

I don't care I just like Sam and Jack apart

Comment

I think I agree with quite a lot of what you've said Gategrrl. I certainly don't want to see any ship on screen written by the current writing team - they have demonstrated that they are completely incapable of handling it with any subtlety.

I find Sam/Jack particularly objectionable because of the chain of command issues, but any romantic pairing between two of the team would have to affect the way the team interacted. And a ship with someone outside the team (even Luke ) would probably take up too much screen time, that should be devoted to going through the Stargate, exploring new worlds etc.

I want to see friendship on screen, the friendships between all of the team that were one of the big draws of the show in the early seasons. Ship belongs in fanfic and the eye of the beholder, and the choice to make it more than that was one of the biggest mistakes the writers have made IMHO.

SallyK

Comment

Originally posted by SallyK
                  And a ship with someone outside the team (even Luke ) would probably take up too much screen time, that should be devoted to going through the Stargate, exploring new worlds etc.
                  Blasphemer!

I wouldn't mind offhand comments about the characters being involved in outside relationships (like Sam's comment to Barrett in that one ep) but yeah, the writers suck at ship and shouldn't be allowed near it. I'd even settle for Sam being all excited about going to the cafeteria and saying something like, "They're serving lemon chicken" with this knowing little smirk... and leave it at that. hehe. Then the folks who like Sam/Luke ship can be happy and the ones who don't wanna hear about it can think she just needs to get out more and the ones who like Sam/McKay ship can assume it's a subtle reference to Wodney.

And then you can have fun with things like:

Daniel: Sorry I'm late, I overslept.
                  Carter: Again?
                  Jack: That's the third time this week.
                  Daniel (grinning broadly): I know.
                  Jack: You go, girl.

hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Gategrrl
                    I dunno, Darklilac, I'd rather see Daniel involved in something more fulfilling for him than a run-of-the-mill Romance. I think he *deserves* to be happy, but there are other types of happiness than that, as many single-and-loving-it people can and WILL tell you.

Everyone paired off on the show by the end of the show is just incredibly barfy to me. So smarmy.

I know very well there are other type of happiness, I know about single people, I'm not for romance in this show and I'm not even a romantic person myself.
                    Actually I don't even like romantic movies or romance in any show.
                    That's one of the reasons I hate so much the JS ship.
                    But Teal'c, Sam and Jack will all be involved in a lot of romance, so I'm not sure I will be so pleased to see Daniel alone somewhere on some planet left with nothing.

That's why this stuff between Jack and Sam has always been a bad idea and that's why it ruined the show and the relationships between the characters.

Everyone paired off in the show is afwul for me too, but I'm afraid that's what is gonna happen, so we better get used to the idea.

Comment

Everyone paired off in the show is afwul for me too, but I'm afraid that's what is gonna happen, so we better get used to the idea.

Bracing self for the inevitable (hence, that's why I'm not watching s8)

Comment

Hey, I don't have to "get used to" anything. If I don't wanna see it, I'm not gonna watch it, and I'm not gonna watch S8.

Another benefit is that what happens (or doesn't happen) is only limited by my imagination.

Sam/Luke finally getting involved? Not a problem. Jonas comes back for good? Absolutely. Sam & Jack get married? Never gonna happen. Never, never, never.

Comment

yes i hate the sam/jack ship but i will watch s8 only for the high quality storyline, that will probably make up for the low quality ones (when i say low quality i mean the sam/jack ship) the rest of it should be great

Comment

Originally posted by the_fours
                            i will watch s8 only for the high quality storyline, that will probably make up for the low quality ones (when i say low quality i mean the sam/jack ship) the rest of it should be great
                            I'm trying really hard not to laugh. I admire you for thinking that Stargate is still capable of producing enough "high quality" storylines to make the rest of the dreck worth watching. I haven't felt that way since the end of S6. I had hopes for a while, but... *shrug* Congratulations for having a higher BS Tolerance Level thant I do. Hope you enjoy the new season.

Comment

Meh, I don't like Sam/Jack. There was some ship from seasons 1-4, and that was okay. Nothing really in Season 5 or 6, and the stuff in Season 7 was just out right annoying. During the episode Grace I was rolling my eyes and saying, "Come on! We get the point! Move along, nothing to see here!" But no, they had to keep going on with the Sam/Jack crap. I was a little bit of a Sam/Jack shipper near the beginning of when I started watching the show, but it faded away (I became a Sam/Daniel shipper when I heard a clip from Singularity when they were all like, 'you don't have to do this alone.' 'sometimes i forget you're not military.' Of course, I hadn't seen the episode and it was taken out of context but it was just so sweet.

Though I sometimes make Sam/Jack vids *hides from tomatoes*, I don't like the pairing... Which is why most of my Sam/Jack vids are actually crap... lol. Anyways, I'll probably say something more after school or during lunch...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                                During the episode Grace I was rolling my eyes and saying, "Come on! We get the point! Move along, nothing to see here!" But no, they had to keep going on with the Sam/Jack crap.
                                That's exactly what I thought too.
                                That's one of the worst episodes I ever saw, and not only of Stargate but of all the history of tv shows.
                                The fact that it was only made to have a kiss between those two makes it even more disgusting.

Comment

Working...
                                X