Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    *pats blueeyes gently on the head* Yes, dear, just keep telling yourself that.
    ShadowMaat, are you trying to tell me something? I can take it ya know, I'm tough, I've survived grad school (mostly) and Season 7 (barely).

I'm sure the fact that I'm suddenly seeing all those "writing issues" I've been ignoring all along is just an aberration. Isn't it? It'll all be okay, won't it? Should my hands and my left eyelid be twitching like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      I think the logic (for want of a better word) behind the Sam/Jack ship is that opposites attract and that sort of thing...
      Like matter and anti-matter, you mean. I find that a peculiarly apt analogy since, in the meeting of these two opposites, two perfectly good characters have been annihilated.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
        Like matter and anti-matter, you mean. I find that a peculiarly apt analogy since, in the meeting of these two opposites, two perfectly good characters have been annihilated.
        Couldn't have said it better myself O Wise Seer...
        That's about as much chemistry we'll ever see between the two...

sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
          Errr....Welcome to the club I guess. It may not be the most fun club, but at least we can commiserate together.

Season 7 has got to be the nail in the coffin that either sways you one way or another unless you are one of the fortunate ones that can still totally ignore it. Season 8 is not quite so blatant, imo. Yet. And has been relatively tame, I think, except for that whole thing in Gemini if you’ve read the spoilers, but I have a feeling it’s going to get all revved up in “Threads”. Blah. Guess we’ll know soon since the UK is about to get that episode. Though, I’ll still try to avoid reading any spoilers. Somehow.

You know. I have to give credit to “It’s Good To Be King” because there was potential there for ship, i.e. any time they are alone together I’ve come to expect the worst. (Course I’m sure the shippers saw it anyway since there was some good Carter/O’Neill screen time. No disrespect intended to y’all. ) But I actually didn’t have to wretch in agony over any goo-goo eyes at each other or any shippy music or any awkwardness, etc. etc.

Ummm.....................let me think..........................NO!
          I thought Gemini was shippy, if you wanted it to be shippy, and not if you didn't. Which in my mind is good. Didn't see anything in IGTBK, tho, so you can watch both and take it easy.

Threads now. That's due on Tuesday. Not looking forward to it. Firstly, because it's got Pete in it (ack - sorry no offence, but even since I've stopped shipping for Sam and Jack I still don't like him), and secondly, THERE'S NO ATLANTIS!, and thirdly, do I want to watch Sam being all angsty and doe-eyed, agonising over her relationship - no! Fourthly, THERE'S NO ATLANTIS!

Still, some my good online buddies are Sam/Jack shippers so I shall watch it and comment on it for them... sigh. Hope the stuff with Daniel is good to make up for it. I do like the stuff with the Ancients. because that reminds me of Atlantis, and that is good.

Comment

Threads is supposed to have a Daniel storyline in it. I'm guessing he and it are going to be shoved to the side and neglected in favor of spotlighting SHIP SHIP SHIP. It'll be like Chimera all over again, except a hundred times worse...

Comment

Originally posted by astrochick
              I thought Gemini was shippy, if you wanted it to be shippy, and not if you didn't. Which in my mind is good. Didn't see anything in IGTBK, tho, so you can watch both and take it easy.
              Oh Gemini had a little bit - the usual awkward looks. But it was easy to ignore and didn't bother me. Especially in comparison to the other problems with Gemini. IGTBK was actually kind of funny in that it wasn't shippy but they managed to sneak in a few references that I'm sure the shippers had fun with. And I actually thought they were pretty funny as well.

Originally posted by Astrochick
              Threads now. That's due on Tuesday. Not looking forward to it. Firstly, because it's got Pete in it (ack - sorry no offence, but even since I've stopped shipping for Sam and Jack I still don't like him), and secondly, THERE'S NO ATLANTIS!, and thirdly, do I want to watch Sam being all angsty and doe-eyed, agonising over her relationship - no! Fourthly, THERE'S NO ATLANTIS!

Still, some my good online buddies are Sam/Jack shippers so I shall watch it and comment on it for them... sigh. Hope the stuff with Daniel is good to make up for it. I do like the stuff with the Ancients. because that reminds me of Atlantis, and that is good.
              Reckoning II was so good I almost hate to have Threads come along and trot the Sam/Jack anvil out again. I'm hoping since they're showing the 90 minute version that means more of the Daniel/Ancient storyline. 'Cause I'm sure the shortened version would mostly be the shippy stuff. And poor Sam angsting over her romantic choices.

Oh well, if they're going to do it I at least hope the S/J shippers will be happy with it. I'll just try and keep my eyeballs from rolling out of my eyes under the couch.

Oh jeez, I'm getting cynical again - falling from the *high* I was on after Reckoning II.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                You are right that it was all in your own interpretation in “Gemini”, but unfortunately, I saw ship.

Fourthly, THERE'S NO ATLANTIS!
                Dang. No Atlantis. I guess they’ll do the same thing over here, but I’m glad they are going with the 90 min version. Hopefully, I’ll have BSG to cheer me up afterwards.

Originally posted by Kes
                Oh well, if they're going to do it I at least hope the S/J shippers will be happy with it. I'll just try and keep my eyeballs from rolling out of my eyes under the couch.

Oh jeez, I'm getting cynical again - falling from the *high* I was on after Reckoning II.
                Well try not to think about it until you have to. Go to your happy place. As for me, I haven’t taken my own advice and am so worried they are going to screw Daniel over while others literally screw. It’s probably going to be ugly for everyone: J/S shippers, S/P shippers, Danny fans, and anti-shippers. Wally fans may be the only ones immune. Grrrr……and I so was looking forward to this episode until I get a whiff of spoilers and spoiler pics. *wretch*
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Something tells me I might be glad that this thread is near the top (read 'easy to find') on Tuesday evening.

:: crossing fingers that I'm wrong ::

It's been *such* a good season for non-ship so far; compared with s7, compared with what I thought s8 would be it's been one long treat. I've seen no ship at all, although from time to time (Gemini is the only one I recall) I've noticed the camera staying on Sam-looking-at-Jack or J-l-a-S as they pull weird faces (sometimes as a certain type of music plays) and I've thought "ah, this was where the director / editor wanted a Shippy Scene".

Am I foolish for daring to hope that the last few eps might just stay -

Okay, yes I'm foolish.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                    Am I foolish for daring to hope that the last few eps might just stay -
                    Yes, you're foolish. But it's cute that you're hopeful.

*not passing up an opportunity to tell a mod she's foolish*
                    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by blueeyes
                      and the resulting attempt at wordless resolution in part two was just bad. If they were trying to somehow invoke the power of the Han/Leia scene in "The Empire Strikes Back," someone needs to send the writers a memo explaining that we had actually seen chemistry between Han and Leia. What we got instead was another rude interruption and curt dismissal by Jack, followed by more girlish fluttering by Sam in the final scenes of the ep.
                      Okay, before I say a word, I'm not here to irk anyone, just to agree with some of what's been said here. So here goes...

Ya know, even as a shipper, I've always had a problem with that
                      Spoiler:
                      engine room scene
                      in Lost City 2. What's the point in including ANY scene if it doesn't serve to further the plot? As many times as I've watched that episode, I still can't see how that scene furthers the plot. I take what I can get shipwise but that scene still bugs me. It made absolutely no sense to include a scene that accomplishes nothing when they could have included so many things that would have added to the plot.

As for the Han/Leia reference--Han and Leia had better writers. I have to agree with Shadow that the end will probably be the one that will piss the most people off. Personally, I'm not expecting any ship at all. I've stayed away from my normal haunt (the shipper thread) bc it's spoiler city and I'm desperately trying to stay unspoiled because I don't want to be as disappointed when the ending is ambiguous and poorly written--and I think it will be. They said in "Behind the Gate" that one group would be happy and the other wouldn't--personally, I don't think ANYONE will be. Using ship to cover for bad writing has always been bad in my book. I have a problem when ship is used to make up for no plot. I loved Reckoning even though I didn't see any ship in it--it had a great plot and lots of action (the things that drew me to the show in the first place). I could use more eps like that!

I haven't turned in my shipper card yet but I'm actually looking forward to a season 9 when we will have a new lead (who I sincerely hope they will not ship with ANYONE). I'm normally in favor of ship when it's fitting but I don't like poorly written ship and if TPTB have proven ANYTHING it's that they can't write ship. So now I'll go back to lurkdom--thank you all for not spoiling so I can still read somewhere!
                      Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                      Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                      Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                        Okay, before I say a word, I'm not here to irk anyone, just to agree with some of what's been said here. So here goes...

Ya know, even as a shipper, I've always had a problem with that
                        Spoiler:
                        engine room scene
                        in Lost City 2. What's the point in including ANY scene if it doesn't serve to further the plot? As many times as I've watched that episode, I still can't see how that scene furthers the plot. I take what I can get shipwise but that scene still bugs me. It made absolutely no sense to include a scene that accomplishes nothing when they could have included so many things that would have added to the plot.

As for the Han/Leia reference--Han and Leia had better writers. I have to agree with Shadow that the end will probably be the one that will piss the most people off. Personally, I'm not expecting any ship at all. I've stayed away from my normal haunt (the shipper thread) bc it's spoiler city and I'm desperately trying to stay unspoiled because I don't want to be as disappointed when the ending is ambiguous and poorly written--and I think it will be. They said in "Behind the Gate" that one group would be happy and the other wouldn't--personally, I don't think ANYONE will be. Using ship to cover for bad writing has always been bad in my book. I have a problem when ship is used to make up for no plot. I loved Reckoning even though I didn't see any ship in it--it had a great plot and lots of action (the things that drew me to the show in the first place). I could use more eps like that!

I haven't turned in my shipper card yet but I'm actually looking forward to a season 9 when we will have a new lead (who I sincerely hope they will not ship with ANYONE). I'm normally in favor of ship when it's fitting but I don't like poorly written ship and if TPTB have proven ANYTHING it's that they can't write ship. So now I'll go back to lurkdom--thank you all for not spoiling so I can still read somewhere!
                        What she said!!!

Comment

Episodes like Reckoning have proven time and time again that it is not necessary to have ship to have great television... I'm a little surprised that TPTB haven't realised yet that it is possible to have profound sympathy for one's characters without having to churn them through the romance wringer... sometimes I wonder if they think that romance is the only catalyst for probing deeply into a person's psyche... or for showing some far reaching metaphysical moment.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Ship is there for the sex and sex sells. There's no deep meaning to it at all. Not where Stargate is concerned. Not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Ship is there for the sex and sex sells. There's no deep meaning to it at all. Not where Stargate is concerned. Not anymore.
                              From the sounds of things... they're not doing a good job of that either... (selling sex, I mean)

We're probably smarter than we look... that's the problem...
                              Maybe we need to shut our brains down during shippy moments...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                                Maybe we need to shut our brains down during shippy moments...
                                That seems to be what the writers do, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X