No announcement yet.

Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new thread name would be OK, even though I like being known as an "Anti-shipper," but I do like the idea of a completely platonic relationship between the two. That's what I think more shows need- more platonic relationships so it doesn't look like (almost) everyone who is friends with a member of the opposite sex will eventually become romantically involved with that person.
    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Speaking personally, I'm anti. I want it made abundantly clear. You start messing it up with wishy-washy things like "S/J friendship only" or something similar and it'll confuse people. "Anti S/J ship" tells it exactly like it is: anti-ship. It's obvious that it's a relationship and that the relationship is romantic and that that's what we're objecting to. You're more than welcome to start your own S/J friendship thread if you think it's feasible and you think it's enough for a seaparate thread, but I prefer to keep this anti-ship so that there is no question whatsoever as to the purpose of this place and the opinions in it. Make it friendship and you'll get idiot people who will tell you that love is just a deeper expression of friendship and that they should have sex to prove it. *rolls eyes* Thanks but no thanks. I'm quite happy being anti and am content with this space to express any non-sexual relationshippy thoughts I may have about them.
      Last edited by ShadowMaat; 05 October 2004, 03:40 AM. Reason: typos. yikes!

Comment

You're probably right, Shadow.
        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Very well said, Mrs. W!
          DanaJeanne
          Click here for the latest news on Michael Shanks

Michael Shanks Online

Daniel Fanfic Archive ~ My SG-1 Scribbles ~ My Pros Scribbles

Comment

I like being anti J/S ship. I want to be able to express all the vitriol that I feel towards it. Softening the tone will make me feel that I should soften my posts. which I don't want to do. Being anti-ship doesn't automatically mean being anti-J/S friendship, so I don't think there's any need to clarify.

(And, besides, what about the people who don't even see Jack and Sam as friends and want to express that along with expressing the dislike of the ship? That would cut them out.)
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I like being anti-ship too. I don't think a new thread would "soften" my posts any cause my posts are already pretty soft. I'm just a cynical person who doesn't really believe in "love" and doesn't want to see a false impression of it on Stargate. I think there's definitely a kind of platonic friendship there though.
              Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
              RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

I believe the whole team are friends and family. But, I also want to be able to be totally anti ship here, without mitigating it with any pro feelings. I'm as anti as anti can be, and I like it that way.

Keeping it as just anti-J/S ship without any clarifications means that as long as you feel that way, this is the place for you, regardless of how you do see Jack and Sam.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I don't think that post was necessary. If shippers don't like anti-shippers to come make random fly-bys in the shipper thread they should show the same respect to the anti-shipper thread.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Thank you, Shipper.

Just because you (general you) may not share our opinions doesn't give you the right to stomp all over them with your snide comments. Walk away with your nose in the air if you must, but take your condescending little post with you, please.

Comment

Originally posted by GateAngel
                      There was nothing wrong with him looking at her strictly as his 2IC and a fellow officer with no attraction or sexual tension going on. There was nothing wrong with her looking at him as a mentor who was able to look past the gender difference and see the person she was and the competent officer that she is. There was nothing wrong with Sam being considered 'one of the boys' when she was on duty and out in the field.
                      Which is exactly WHY I loved Sam so much until they started with the stupid and pathetic Jack/Sam romance crap!
                      As a woman, MY opinion (one always seem to have to point out that it's MY opinion), I feel like it's derogatory to see women only as falling in love with their bosses or superiours. One would think that there would finally be one show where the women aren't made into bimbos.

And that IS my opinion.
                      Gaterelle

Comment

And having seen some episodes recently that involves "Sam/Jack romance" (how about calling it SJR so I don't have to write the those words over and over again?), I am again struck with how impossible the romance is! I mean, THEY CAN'T COMMUNICATE! At all!
                        Jeesh, so what if they have sex. It's never gonna work anyway. Two people can't love each other if they don't have anything to talk about, then it's just sexual attraction and that's not the same as love. Not that I've seen the so called UST either. I've seen Sam look desperate and I've seen Jack have his midlife crisis and look mildly constipated.

Yes, I've always seen Jack care for Sam (and all the others) as friends and team mates but beyond that? Not a chance.

And to me, why the writers have pursued this is simply because they feel they have to have romance in the show to get more viewers. No matter how forced it seems, they will always have someone who likes it.

Also, for future reference, I have to ask if this thread is protected and if I can express exactly how I feel about Sam/Jack romance without being thrown out?
                        If not, I'll try to refrain from making the more rude comments.
                        I really really dislike it and I think it is ruining the show completely. Stargate could've been a great scifi show and instead they've turned it into a soap.
                        Gaterelle

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                          I don't think that post was necessary. If shippers don't like anti-shippers to come make random fly-bys in the shipper thread they should show the same respect to the anti-shipper thread.
                          Was a post deleted?

*confused*

Just to say I agree with Shipperahoy...totally...just wanted the anti-shippers to know that...

Comment

Yes. Thankfully, the person came back and deleted the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaterelle
                              Also, for future reference, I have to ask if this thread is protected -
                              Nope, no such thing as a Protected Thread here. Instead we have an On Topic rule and a Respect Other Posters rule. The first means that posting in support of S/J is off-topic* and the second means that the people who post anti-S/J stuff in here should not be made to feel bad for their tastes and might get modded if they do.

Similar sorts of rules apply to the various Shipper and Thunk threads.

Originally posted by Gaterelle
                              - and if I can express exactly how I feel about Sam/Jack romance without being thrown out?
                              PG Forum here, so keep it PG. And it's not acceptable for S/Jers (or other real people) to be disrespected in here. Other than that I can't see any reason for you not go with what you feel, and if anything crosses a line you'll know about it via PM from a mod

* It might seem like the mods are inconsistant with enforcing the Off Topic
                              rule. We take the nature of each thread into account, and off-topicness that is brief and pleasant often passes under our radar while off-topicness that runs counter to the purpose of the thread or threatens to derail it is a different matter.

Madeleine

Comment

I REALLY love the mentoring relationship between Jack and Sam. You know, the one you see in roughly 3 eps in 8 years. I love it when she's being negative and panicking a bit in Solitudes, and he's having to keep her focused. I love it when she's trying to reset the panel in Descent (toward the end) and he's telling her "lots of time, Carter, all the time in the world", like he's coaching her on how to not let the situation get the best of her. I love it when she's trying to brief everybody in Fallen and he keeps making snide comments and she's all, "Again, as the Colonel is well aware..."

I even thought it was cute in Season 1 when she had a sort of hero-worship feeling toward him, and there was even a bit of flirting, but it was straightforward, getting-to-know-you stuff. Everything was fine until sometime in Season 3... probably Point of View (ugh) is where the shift became felt.

But even before that, something equally bad happened. Sam changed in Season 2, almost overnight after the Jolinar thing. Before that she had some passion. Then she became a robot who was strong and professional and admirable... but I find it hard to imagine her having strong feelings for anyone after that. And I don't think that's AT's fault - she's pretty emotive in Emancipation, arguing with the women about their freedom and with Jack about going back to rescue the girl. Then they took that away and just gave her a hankering for Jack in its place. And a Wonderbra that I am so sick of looking at that I just want to send her an Emergency Pack of standard Air Force issue NON-skin tight black t-shirts, and burn those leotards she wears.

Maybe they thought she was too much like Daniel, and that's why they took away her passion for saving lives or freeing people, and just gave her the standard Wonder Woman crush on boss instead. Or maybe it's that the last time a female writer was on staff was somewhere in Season 2-3.

Ah, that was a nice rant. I feel better.
                                The Hathor Legacy: What TV and Film are Really Saying about Women.

My Stargate Fanfiction

Comment

Working...
                                X