Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the_fours
    hopefully atlantis wont fall into the same trap, but since two characters are supposed to spark at the beginning it could work
    HA! You HAVE read the spoilers, haven't you? Ship is inbred, right down to the character descriptions. And I do mean inbred.

Sad, isn't it? No choice in the matter. And they're starting Atlantis now, after they've lost all concept of what "subtle" means...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      HA! You HAVE read the spoilers, haven't you? Ship is inbred, right down to the character descriptions. And I do mean inbred.

Sad, isn't it? No choice in the matter. And they're starting Atlantis now, after they've lost all concept of what "subtle" means...

of coarse ive read the spoilers otherwise i would have to wait until the dvd releases next jan to see them (in any goood quality). And its sad to say its true subtle is a word working its way out of the english dictionary.

on topic: i hate s/j ship

Comment

I'm an anti S/J shipper. I just don't see it. Also, it's just plain wrong. Jack is Sam's commanding officer, and it will be against regulations for them to have any romantic feelings for each other. Especially, now that Jack will be promoted to Brigadier General. It just will never work. Unless, Sam quits the Air Force (which I seriously doubt she'll ever do), or if Jack retires which I don't think he will do now that he is Brigadier General. It just will never work.

Also, I can't stand all these innuendos of them having romantic feelings for each other. It make me uncomfortable because it's so wrong. It's like a teacher having an affair with his student (of age that is). It's just plain wrong. Makes me want to puke. >_<
        sigpic
        Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          That's when you bring the comment to the attention of the mods and have them decide what- if anything- should be done. Much as they may like to pretend sometimes, the mods are not omnipotent.
          I don't know what the specific rules are, but I know that we aren't supposed to drag other forums into discussions such as this. "Well, Poster X said 'blah blah blah' over on Board Z!" isn't conducive to a good conversation especially since, again, the folks on Board Z will not, in general, be able to defend themselves here.
          Never said such a thing about the mods, I was just explaining what you asked me, I never said the name of anyone and it wasn't to rant on someone.
          You asked an example and I gave you that.
          I could easily misunderstand your way of saying "blah blah", but I'm going to choose not to do that.
          I'm here to post about the reasons why I hate the JS ship and I'm going to do that.
          If you don't like some of the things I say you're free to say so, like you did more than once, but don't take everything the wrong way.
          For example I didn't like this talking about Daniel being toasted, but I'm not making a case of it.

Comment

Especially, now that Jack will be promoted to Brigadier General. It just will never work. Unless, Sam quits the Air Force (which I seriously doubt she'll ever do), or if Jack retires which I don't think he will do now that he is Brigadier General. It just will never work.
            No, it won't. And, despite the changes they make, I can't see them having either one retire. They're not going to promote Jack and then suddenly have him decide to give it all up for Sam. They're not going to have a three civilian team of SG-1, so Sam is going to stay in the military. And, that's why, in my mind, this whole ship is pointless, and tptb are teases (sometimes, I think tptb are treating the J/S shippers worse than us). As long as both are in the military, ain't nothing gona happen. They've said it enough times. And, since the show is about SG-1, they aren't going to make any drastic changes in order to make it possible. If they hadn't had to accomodate RDA's even more reduced schedule, I'm sure Jack would still be going through the gate (that's the big round thing) with them. So, barring AT deciding she wants time off or something like that, Sam's still going to be part of SG-1, and nothing will ever happen between them.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

i hope your right dani

*looks on nervously*

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                As long as both are in the military, ain't nothing gona happen.
                Sorry if this offends, but I'm new to this list and was browsing around the various threads. Having read this thread, it's obvious that there are some fans who are ardently opposed to this "ship" thing. As a guy, I have to say it's not the first thing that rocks my boat but I enjoy good character development.

I'm a long-time fan but haven't been involved in the online stuff until now. Always wondered what was going on between Carter and O'Neill, and as a professional writer who knows the value of romantic relationships in a good storyline, always wondered why they didn't make more of this aspect of the show. It remains a mystery to me, but to suggest that it's because of the Military Regs is unrealistic. To suggest that two characters who have a strong mutual attraction would allow the regulations to get in the way is to ignore human nature, not to mention the dramatic potential of a "forbidden" relationship.

And I've got news for you - everyone in the military is at it, folks. (I grew up on military bases around the world). That's why they have the regulations, so if anyone's caught they can throw the book at them if necessary. The military even has a policy on relationships between homosexuals, which is the ultimate taboo in the military - ever heard of "Don't ask, don't tell"? Fact is, most commanders turn a blind eye to relationships of any stripe because it's not worth stirring things up.

There's great dramatic potential in this relationship, and handled correctly it wouldn't detract from the team dynamic, the mission, the mythology, the other characters, the stories or anything else for that matter. These are two grown-ups, working together day after day - something's gonna happen between them unless they're emotionally dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JaffaCake
                  Sorry if this offends, but I'm new to this list and was browsing around the various threads. Having read this thread, it's obvious that there are some fans who are ardently opposed to this "ship" thing. As a guy, I have to say it's not the first thing that rocks my boat but I enjoy good character development.
                  firstly then welcome to the forum, i too enjoy character developement, but i believe that the way stargate has evolved over the past seven years has made the ship a bad thing within the show, this is because first off they were toying it and keeping it subtle then it gets rammed down our throats, and personnally i dont like having something like this forced on me.

I'm a long-time fan but haven't been involved in the online stuff until now. Always wondered what was going on between Carter and O'Neill, and as a professional writer who knows the value of romantic relationships in a good storyline, always wondered why they didn't make more of this aspect of the show. It remains a mystery to me, but to suggest that it's because of the Military Regs is unrealistic. To suggest that two characters who have a strong mutual attraction would allow the regulations to get in the way is to ignore human nature, not to mention the dramatic potential of a "forbidden" relationship.
                  yes, i agree romance can be a good thing if done correctly, which i believe it wasnt in sg-1, and it would have been better off not in there in the first place. Also yes the forbidden relationship can be interesting, but not in this particular show this is because it could become the focus of the show which in my opinion it seemed to in s7.

And I've got news for you - everyone in the military is at it, folks. (I grew up on military bases around the world). That's why they have the regulations, so if anyone's caught they can throw the book at them if necessary. The military even has a policy on relationships between homosexuals, which is the ultimate taboo in the military - ever heard of "Don't ask, don't tell"? Fact is, most commanders turn a blind eye to relationships of any stripe because it's not worth stirring things up.
                  well i dont doubt theyre all at it, but in sg-1 id prefer it if it stayed in fan-fic and not in the main show.

There's great dramatic potential in this relationship, and handled correctly it wouldn't detract from the team dynamic, the mission, the mythology, the other characters, the stories or anything else for that matter. These are two grown-ups, working together day after day - something's gonna happen between them unless they're emotionally dead.
                  thats the key 'handled correctly' it hasnt been handled correctly in the past seven years in my opinion why might it start now. I dont think they are emotionally dead either. they know the feelings are there, well carter anyway her emotions are quite clear in grace as far as i can see, and i hope nothing of that nature does happen between them.

Comment

Just as a heads up since you mentioned that you were new here, this is a protected thread. That means that folks can rant against Sam/Jack to their hearts content without having to explain why.

I'd love to discuss some of your points, so if you'd like to take it over to the Ship Discussion thread where it can be talked about without going off topic, that would be great.
                    Webbgirl
                    Keeper of Major Davis' Office Supplies

Webbgirl's Hangouts
                    My Livejournal

Comment

Originally posted by Webbgirl
                      I'd love to discuss some of your points, so if you'd like to take it over to the Ship Discussion thread where it can be talked about without going off topic, that would be great.
                      OK.

Comment

I mean look how old Jack is, he's like her father... That's why they brought in Jacob methinks...to detract the notion of Jack being a father figure to Sam so they can get it on, so to speak . Also what kind of relationship are they gonna have if Sam keeps on calling him 'sir'? Talk about a controlling relationship. And when they were kissing in Grace, it made me wanna puke...

Comment

Originally posted by jex_piperUK
                          And when they were kissing in Grace, it made me wanna puke...
                          my gut always wrenches when i see that.

Comment

Originally posted by darklilac
                            I wonder why you read this thread since I saw form your post that you're a JS shipper, it must be unpleasant for you to read this stuff, if you don't mind I'd like to know.
                            Anyway, there's a world out there of sites, groups and boards, and Gateworld is just a shipper forum among millions of others.
                            That's not direct to you, just for the record.
                            I saw posts from shippers in different places saying this things, I even tried to talk to some of them, but unfortunately many(not everyone) of them are very offensive and childish.
                            Like here, I can't really post in any other thread, people are always using offensive terms, and I really don't understand why since it's a moderate board.
                            Actually my post didn't say anything about me being an S/J shipper but I don't have any problem with anyone knowing that I am. It's not unpleasant to read here, I know there are people who don't like the S/J ship but it doesn't bother me. I've had plently of interesting debates about it, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I do read here because I'm intrested in the viewpoint of people who don't like the ship as I am also intrested in a general discussion about the show. I don't generally post here because well.... I'm not anti the SJ ship <g> but I was interested in finding out more about what you said. I was talking to a friend last night who had also looked at this thread and she said to me are we allowed to ask why they don't like it, I said I don't think so. So that's another reason I don't post because it's a very specific topic. However if anyone wants to discuss S/J ship and Anti S/J ship views in another thread I'm game. I can certainly promise not to use offensive terms. Though I have to say one persons reasonable can often be someone else's offensive.

Erika

Comment

Originally posted by Eken95
                              Actually my post didn't say anything about me being an S/J shipper but I don't have any problem with anyone knowing that I am. It's not unpleasant to read here.....I was talking to a friend last night who had also looked at this thread and she said to me are we allowed to ask why they don't like it, I said I don't think so. So that's another reason I don't post because it's a very specific topic. However if anyone wants to discuss S/J ship and Anti S/J ship views in another thread I'm game. I can certainly promise not to use offensive terms. Though I have to say one persons reasonable can often be someone else's offensive.

Erika

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I knew you were a JS shipper from other posts you made on OS, if I'm not mistaken I saw you there.
                              I'm very glad you answered me, I'm really interested in reading about what JS shippers think.
                              Why you're not allowed to ask here why people don't like the ship?
                              I think this is the right thread to discuss the matter, why some fans like it and some others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by darklilac
                                I think this is the right thread to discuss the matter, why some fans like it and some others don't.
                                i think the general consencus is the shippers have their own thread we antishippers have our own thread and there is a neutral thread called the ship discussion thread where we can all exchange veiws on the matter. At least thats how i think it works

Comment

Working...
                                X